Author Topic: Coconut Oil: How, When, Where & Why to Use  (Read 296078 times)

Offline mommie

• Master
Re: Coconut Oil: How, When, Where & Why to Use
« Reply #540 on: September 05, 2008, 05:30:23 AM »
you can make chocolate shakes too..w/ rice milk (or whaterver kind you use) cocoa powder, honey, coconut oil, cinnamon, banana and ice...YUMM!!

Offline keplersaunt

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #541 on: September 05, 2008, 08:20:56 AM »
Hi, everyone.  I am new to WTM, but I have been reading this thread and others avidly.  I have started using coconut oil 2x daily on my face and I notice that my freckles look lighter.  I didn't see anyone else discussing this, although I might have missed it.  If so I apologize.  Also has anyone noticed their menstrual cramps lessening after starting coconut oil?  Thanks!

J

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #542 on: September 05, 2008, 09:38:50 AM »
I was just thinking today (happens sometimes) and I thought EMULSIFY! I want to try to emulsify it. Mayo is basically emulsified oil and that doesn't bother him. So I'm thinking of trying to make some kind of spread with it. I've seen VCO mayo recipes but I don't think that would work for him because it would still have a strong coconut oil taste. So I'm thinking sweet... like with chocolate and/or nut butter. Maybe it will turn out like a fluffy nutella, frosting, or maybe the consistency of pudding.

Got some experimenting to do...
WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline Pauls Steph

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #543 on: September 05, 2008, 10:22:11 AM »
Hi, everyone.  I am new to WTM, but I have been reading this thread and others avidly.  I have started using coconut oil 2x daily on my face and I notice that my freckles look lighter.  I didn't see anyone else discussing this, although I might have missed it.  If so I apologize.  Also has anyone noticed their menstrual cramps lessening after starting coconut oil?  Thanks!

J

Huh, interesting thought. I also use coconut oil on my face and love the results in my skin. I also had just minor mc this past month. Hadn't thought about that as a possible connection. Would make sense though that the oil is absorbed into your system through your face. Having enough essential fatty acids and lauric acid in your system helps a lot of things level out. I don't know that I would have put that one together though. hmmm....

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #544 on: September 05, 2008, 11:55:10 AM »
I was just thinking today (happens sometimes) and I thought EMULSIFY! I want to try to emulsify it.

Maybe cottage cheese?

Budwig on WTM

Might end up with kind of a cheesecake sort of 'dessert'?  (attempting that thinking thing here...)

Sarah K
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #545 on: September 05, 2008, 06:13:10 PM »
Good idea!
I hope it turns out better than my attempts at the regular Budwig stuff.

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #546 on: September 06, 2008, 02:43:02 PM »
  Also has anyone noticed their menstrual cramps lessening after starting coconut oil? 
Most vegetable oils are unhealthy and in the end increase inflammation thus increasing menstrual pain. Eliminating these oils helps reduce inflammation. The coconut oil in itself helps cleanse and nourish further reducing inflammation.

Offline T

• Adept
    • Red Umbrella Cosmetics
« Reply #547 on: September 15, 2008, 09:53:05 AM »
I just received my CO from Nature's Approved (AKA Assured Organics).  I thought CO was supposed to be clear/white...That's all I've ever seen.  This is clear but caramel colored!  What do I have?  Is this normal?  It smells and tastes like CO but is this the way it looks when unrefined and the stuff I've been buying is refined?  It took a while to get here because it was backordered and they sent me two CO and Lavender soaps for waiting.  Can anyone clue me in???  Was this not a good deal after all and maybe, in fact, a very bad deal?

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #548 on: September 15, 2008, 12:50:37 PM »
I just received my CO from Nature's Approved (AKA Assured Organics).  I thought CO was supposed to be clear/white...That's all I've ever seen.  This is clear but caramel colored!  What do I have?  Is this normal?  It smells and tastes like CO but is this the way it looks when unrefined and the stuff I've been buying is refined?  It took a while to get here because it was backordered and they sent me two CO and Lavender soaps for waiting.  Can anyone clue me in???  Was this not a good deal after all and maybe, in fact, a very bad deal?

Here's a picture of that brand in glass jars
http://www.naturesapproved.com/shop/larger_view.asp?storeid=DED66C93AF6E45488DF43C733A64B7F1&productID=1066610&bPrivateProduct=1

It should be white while soild and clear when liquid.

WR
Who Needs God?

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #549 on: September 15, 2008, 03:50:49 PM »
I searched 'brown coconut oil' and found this (excerpt) that describes one process of extracting the oil by drying the copra (meat) in the open air until the white of the coconut turns brown...the result is a brown oil that is usually then processed to purify it.  This article is praising another method, and doesn't have nice things to say about the dried copra method. 

If your oil is still amber or brown, then you might have an unpurified version of the dried copra extraction method.  I'd definitely ask the company about the extraction process, and why the oil is brown.  Does it smell fresh and coconutty?  I might be tempted to just think of it as 'fermented' coconut oil and call it a day ;)

Here is the whole article: http://www.cocoonnutrition.org/catalog/page_coconutoil.php

HTH
~Gwen
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #550 on: September 16, 2008, 06:28:17 AM »
Some answers in the other thread you posted this question in:
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,3606.msg201902.html#msg201902
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline T

• Adept
    • Red Umbrella Cosmetics
« Reply #551 on: September 16, 2008, 06:35:53 AM »
I thought that was on this thread earlier...maybe I'm crazy. 

I have an email in to the company to see if this is an issue or if it's 'just the way it is.'  The owner emailed me back asking the batch number so I'm guessing he's checking another pail of the same.  If he is checking it out, it must either be questionable or he's just appeasing me.  I'm thinking the best of them until otherwise notified!  I hope we'll soon see if this was a good deal or not.

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #552 on: September 16, 2008, 08:02:13 AM »
If he didn't say (right away) "the oil is amber colored because..."
and he's checking the batch, then I would be nervous to eat it.  That tells me that this is unusual and requires 'checking'.  Let us know what you find out!

Offline papercraftr

• The Callis Family
  • Adept
  • Eden & Baby Hope
    • The Home Grown Family
« Reply #553 on: September 18, 2008, 08:16:22 PM »
This is a GREAT resource for coconut oil info done by a leading researcher of coconut oil.

www.CoconutResearchCenter.org
»§«:*´`³¤³´`*:»«:*´`³¤³´`*:»§«:*´`³¤³´`*:»«:*´`³¤³´`*:»§«

Brian, Charity
Jimella, Eden, Philip, David, Mark, Abigail,
Meorah, Merry, Titus & Hope CALLIS
www.TheHomeGrownFamily.com
Coconut/Palm Oil | ERGO baby carriers | Grain Mills | BOSCH | Natural Products
Toll Free 1 877 841 2861

Offline T

• Adept
    • Red Umbrella Cosmetics
« Reply #554 on: September 19, 2008, 03:26:43 AM »
Well, I am not really satisfied with my answer...I put some oil in a smaller container and put it in the fridge.  It is white when in a small batch and smells fine.  I think I just hadn't seen that large of a volume of CO in a liquid state and that explains the color.  However, when you taste the oil, it is fine at first but has an aftertaste.  I don't know how to explain it in a ladylike fashion...it leaves a 'just tossed my cookies' taste in your mouth momentarily.  I could still taste something funky after I popped popcorn in it last night.  He told me that the coconuts were grown in volcanic soil and that may explain the difference in taste.  He said he had someone taste that batch for me and he had previously tasted it and it was good.  Any chance it went rancid in the heat of transit?  I know that's a stretch. All in all, I don't think I'd recommend anyone purchasing that brand.  He says he sells to other companies under their label (wouldn't tell me who, big surprise) so I'm guessing I could have been buying his all along.  So, maybe not such a great deal...anyone have any CO soap recipes  ;) 

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #555 on: September 20, 2008, 04:53:08 AM »
hmmm...I wonder what kind of coconut he uses to make the oil...in Bruce Fife's book he talks about coconut that is set out in the sun for days in very unsanitary conditions and that if they use that to make unrefined oil it is NOT good and looks and tastes not right. My big pails from MRH looks SLIGHTLY yellowish but TOTALLY white in the fridge. I would be VERY surprised if it went bad in transit. I think he used bad coconut oil to make unrefined oil...Bruce says if that kind of coconut is used to make the oil it needs to be refined...Ask him the process of the making of the oil :) I would definately try to get a refund!

Offline T

• Adept
    • Red Umbrella Cosmetics
« Reply #556 on: September 20, 2008, 05:47:18 AM »
The process is explained in detail on the site.  I don't think it is the bad process.  I'm thinking about what to do about it... :(

Offline T

• Adept
    • Red Umbrella Cosmetics
« Reply #557 on: September 22, 2008, 04:37:23 AM »
I prayed about what to say and wrote an email to the company this morning.  I explained my situation and boy is God good!  I have already received a response from the owner of the company.  It appears that the manufacturer of the 5 gallon pails has changed something and a 'chemical' has leached into the oil.  They are changing the supplier of these pails and are arranging for my oil to be returned.  I was just heartbroken when I thought I was out so much money and my husband was NOT going to let me purchase more from someone else for a LONG time!  I have seen God work in some miraculous ways in the last few weeks and once again He has come through!  He sure is blessing me beyond my faith!  Don't write this company off your list yet!

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #558 on: September 23, 2008, 05:26:43 AM »
thats kinda scary!! praise God you are getting things exchanged though!!

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #559 on: September 23, 2008, 03:00:35 PM »
 :o You're a coconut oil hero!  ;D
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 02:18:02 AM by hi_itsgwen »

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #560 on: September 27, 2008, 03:31:00 PM »
I just got my first jar of coconut oil.  We just got 16 oz because my dh wanted to start small and make sure I even like the stuff.  It was wonderful!  I want to buy buy the gallon and was looking at the Mountain Rose Herbs stuff for $28.  It sounds good.  I just wanted to confirm that it DOES have that wonderful coconutty smell and taste.

I made the best and easiest treat!

I mixed the CO with plenty of carob powder.  I added a bit of liquid stevia for sweetener and some peppermint extract.  I put wax paper on a cookie sheet and spooned on individual servings.  You could save time and just pour it in a pan.  Then freeze.  It took about five minutes to harden.  The texture was like a chocolate bar, and tasted like gormet chocolates.  You could use other flavors of extract for variation.

Leave it in the freezer until you eat it.  This stuff would be hard to beat!!
Here's yet another version of mexmarr's delights. My mom tried these as they are diabetic friendly and was THRILLED!! These are good enough to hide.  ;)

1 cup freshly ground flax seed
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup organic peanut butter
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp vanilla
3 Tbsp organic cocoa powder
3 Tbsp xylitol
1 Tbsp Agave Nectar (15 g sugar)

Mix all ingredients together and pour into a pie tin lined with parchment paper.
Chill in the freezer.
Remove from pan while still on parchment paper slice into bars . . . makes about 24 or so.
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #561 on: October 06, 2008, 05:23:56 PM »
Kelly have you looked into soapers choice...looks like a great deal! I won't need any for a long time though! So soaper choice ladies...its organic and extra virgin...do we know if its expeller pressed? what the process is, etc? 7 lbs? Normally there is 8 lbs in gallon is that right?

Offline Kelly the Kitchen Kop

• Adept
    • Kelly the Kitchen Kop
« Reply #562 on: October 07, 2008, 11:57:12 AM »
First of all, thank you all who helped with this:

http://www.kellythekitchenkop.com/2008/10/how-why-do-you-use-organic-virgin.html

I checked on the Soapers Choice - they heat their coconut oil up to between 200* and 250*, and the drastic price difference actually makes me nervous anyway, even without the high heat.  Makes me wonder what else is different between that and the other brands.

Kelly       p.s.  I have it set to notify me of replies, but I never get them.  If ever I don't respond to a question, please email me!  (New email:  Kelly@Kellythekitchenkop.com)

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #563 on: October 10, 2008, 05:20:48 AM »
Are you sure that's the virgin coconut oil, Kelly? They have several types of coconut oil for sell on their site (virgin, refined, RBD, etc.) and the heating part sounds like you're talking about the refined not the virgin.

WR
Who Needs God?

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #564 on: October 10, 2008, 10:04:44 AM »
mike sent me a data sheet for the organic extra virgin CO from soapers choice and it is refined just not w/ chemical solvents, it his makes a much shorter shelf lfrom what I can tell...speaking of my stuff from mrh I keep in my house which is typically 78 degrees right now...so its liquid anyone think this is bad?

Offline Kelly the Kitchen Kop

• Adept
    • Kelly the Kitchen Kop
« Reply #565 on: October 12, 2008, 05:54:45 AM »
You could call them to double check.  Let me know if I messed up, but I'm pretty sure.

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #566 on: October 12, 2008, 08:25:20 AM »
mike sent me a data sheet for the organic extra virgin CO from soapers choice and it is refined just not w/ chemical solvents, it his makes a much shorter shelf lfrom what I can tell...speaking of my stuff from mrh I keep in my house which is typically 78 degrees right now...so its liquid anyone think this is bad?

What kind of refining are we talking about --filtered, nitrogen bubbled, heated (like Kelly said), or ??

Thanks,
WR
Who Needs God?

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #567 on: October 14, 2008, 06:28:44 AM »

What kind of refining are we talking about --filtered, nitrogen bubbled, heated (like Kelly said), or ??

Thanks,
WR

Bump.

WR
Who Needs God?

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #568 on: October 14, 2008, 06:51:28 AM »
I made some mayo with Spectrum's organic refined coconut oil (flavorless/odorless). I used the recipe from NT but replaced all the oil with the coconut oil, and it turned out great! I added the whey and let it set out overnight before putting it in the fridge. In the fridge it is the consistency of cold butter, so we let it sit out for a bit before using it. When it's the consistency of softened butter, we use what we need and then stick it back in the fridge.

So, even though I haven't tried emulsifying VCO with some flavorings to make a sweet treat (which was my previous idea for getting dh to eat it), at least now I know what the consistency will be like when I do -- and I think we are still getting some benefit from the refined stuff.

Oh, and I have another idea for VCO. I have some bee's wax and so when I get some more VCO I'm going to use the bee's wax to make coconut oil candy that will stay hard outside the fridge!

I'm so excited about this idea! It has so many possibilities --chocolate bars, chocolate coating for things like truffles, coconut oil fauxdge (faux fudge) that won't start to melt as soon as you pick it up or put it in your mouth.... I can't wait to try these out!

WR
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 06:54:07 AM by Whiterock »
Who Needs God?

Offline freshisbest

• Adept
« Reply #569 on: October 14, 2008, 11:15:00 AM »
I buy mine from iherb ... 54 oz for $23.99 and shipping is $1.99