Author Topic: Coconut Oil: How, When, Where & Why to Use  (Read 306807 times)

KD

Re: Coconut Oil: How, When, Where & Why to Use
« Reply #120 on: October 24, 2006, 03:14:40 AM »
I have never ordered coconut oil form Wilderness Family Naturals before, but they come very highly recommended. Just went on their web site to order some and it's 15% off until the end of October! Not on the 5 gallon bucket though-just 1 gallon and smaller. Thought I would pass it on in case anyone would like to order some. It's about a $10 savings on a gallon. They carry 2 different kinds and both are on sale! :)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #121 on: October 24, 2006, 05:54:53 AM »
Okay, I tasted some Expeller Pressed AND some Virgin Coconut Oil from Tropical Traditions at a friend's house the other day.

Neither of these oils smelled or tasted like coconuts to me or her.  In fact they reminded me of the smell of a box of crayons.  I gagged on the oil taste.  Sooooo, either we got a bad brand or eating coconut oil off the spoon must be an acquired taste - GAG  :P

Or maybe coconuts really do smell like crayons ???

Any thoughts?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #122 on: October 24, 2006, 06:48:52 AM »
  Sooooo, either we got a bad brand or eating coconut oil off the spoon must be an acquired taste - GAG  :P

I am willing to bet it is an acquired taste.  ;)

Offline blessedmamadp

• Adept
« Reply #123 on: October 24, 2006, 09:26:39 AM »
We got Nutriva Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil.  It smells very coconutty to me.  I sorta tried a taste off my figers and got enough to know that it is probably like vanilla - smells good, tastes awful!

We used it in GOOT and used it as a diaper cream for what I suspect is a yeast infection.  It seemed to help the first time (but so do store bought creams).  More on the GOOT message about this.

Blessings,
Dawn

Offline Livelovely

• Adept
« Reply #124 on: October 24, 2006, 11:10:37 AM »
What is your recipe for your smoothies??? I just got some coconut oil, and wanted to try it out.

Yogurt, orange juice, coconut oil and a banana make a good smoothie.  I make one for my three year old and 15 month old in the morning.  The little one starts yelling when I get the blender out, cause she loves the smoothie so much.  I put the oil in replace of things that call for vegetable oil. 
Mama, is your name Honey or just Mama?

PMESguy

« Reply #125 on: October 24, 2006, 11:26:48 AM »
Okay, I tasted some Expeller Pressed AND some Virgin Coconut Oil from Tropical Traditions at a friend's house the other day.

Neither of these oils smelled or tasted like coconuts to me or her.  In fact they reminded me of the smell of a box of crayons.  I gagged on the oil taste.  Sooooo, either we got a bad brand or eating coconut oil off the spoon must be an acquired taste - GAG  :P

Or maybe coconuts really do smell like crayons ???

Any thoughts?

If you ate the refined oil it will not have any coconut flavor. The virgin oil should taste like coconuts. It could be rancid if it ever was heated...possibly during shipping??

I have had TT oil that has not tasted very coconuty. That is why I don't buy it anymore, ;)

I've had a gallon of WWF virgin oil for like 6 months and it still tastes fresh.

Here's a recipe that I created. Your hair, skin and nails will thank you if you have one of these a day. :)

JB's Politically Incorrect High-Fat Hunger Stopper Smoothie
1/2 Cup whole raw organic milk or organic coconut milk1
4 medium ice cubes
2-3 free roaming, organic raw egg yolks2
1 medium organic banana
1/2 cup fresh or frozen or fresh organic blueberries, strawberries, or raspberries
1 Tbsp organic aloe vera juice3
2 Tbsp organic coconut oil4

This recipe is an excellent source of quality dietary fat and is quick and easy to make. It can be easily altered to meet your specific Metabolic Type and personal preferences. For example, Carb Types can choose one less egg yolk and add more berries. Mixed Types may need to use only one tablespoon of coconut oil. For Protein Types, this is a great way for you to get high quality fats into your diet that are nutrient dense and raw. Best of all this recipe is all-natural and tastes really good too!! Please note that this blend is very satiating due to the high fat content.

Directions: Put ice cubes, egg yolks and milk into a blender and start at high speed to break up the ice cubes. Then turn to medium speed and add the banana and allow to blend and thicken. With the motor running add the berries and more milk if needed. Lastly, add the aloe vera juice and the coconut oil to emulsify.

1. I advocate using a fresh source for raw milk such as Organic Pastures. If raw milk is not available, an excellent alternative is canned organic coconut milk such as Native Forrest or Thai Kitchen brands.

2. Make sure you get the freshest, highest quality eggs (usually the most expensive) you can find for this recipe. Conventional store bought eggs should be avoided - especially since you are eating them raw. Brands such as Promised Acres or Organic Valley are top quality depending on how fresh they are.

3. Organic aloe vera juice can be found a most health/natural food stores. Make sure you buy unprocessed certified organic. The lable on the bottle should read: certified organic aloe vera juice. That's it!

4. Coconut oil comes in a few different shapes and sizes. Quality is the utmost concern. I recommend Wilderness Family Naturals - Traditional Philippine Coconut Oil.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #126 on: October 24, 2006, 12:10:03 PM »
If you ate the refined oil it will not have any coconut flavor. The virgin oil should taste like coconuts. It could be rancid if it ever was heated...possibly during shipping??
I have refined at home - the cheap stuff and the expensive stuff tasted exactly the same.  I was not impressed. 
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #127 on: October 24, 2006, 01:10:57 PM »
I have both. They taste the same to me, but they don't smell the same. One doesn't smell at all, and the other smells so coconutty that my DH could smell it on the baby hours after she ate some cookie dough (that contained the EVCO). He can always tell when I use it on my skin too. Thankfully I like the smell, but there's still no way I can just eat it. I have to have it in stuff.   *shudder*
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline KeepItSimple

• Adept
« Reply #128 on: October 24, 2006, 01:29:58 PM »
3. Organic aloe vera juice can be found a most health/natural food stores. Make sure you buy unprocessed certified organic. The lable on the bottle should read: certified organic aloe vera juice. That's it!

Okay...I have everything (well sort of...) but not the aloe vera juice.  Can I just leave this out? 
Wife to a wonderful man who happens to be a Chiropractor (aren't I blessed??) and home schooling mom to four great kids: Victoria ~16, Jacob ~13, Marlee ~8, David ~6

Offline linemansgirl

• Adept
« Reply #129 on: October 24, 2006, 02:08:04 PM »
I have a thing of now brand organic virgin coconut oil.  It is wonderful!!!  It both smells and tastes like coconut.  They don't seem to sell it in containers larger than 20 oz. which makes it impractical and expensive for every day use.  :-\ 
And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.    Galatians 6:9

PMESguy

« Reply #130 on: October 24, 2006, 04:17:47 PM »

Okay...I have everything (well sort of...) but not the aloe vera juice.  Can I just leave this out? 

Yes, absolutely. I put it in as a digestive toner. Most people don't really like the taste of it either. At one tbsp is it under the radar for taste, much like the coconut oil. I personally take coconut oil by the spoonfull and put it in my mouth and let it melt. But then I have a pretty strong gut. Eating a dozen or so raw egg yolks or so a week will toughen ya right up!! :)

Offline patp

• Learning
« Reply #131 on: October 25, 2006, 05:10:03 AM »
Just wanted to let everyone know that Mountain Rose Herbs (mountainroseherbs.com) has unrefined organic coconut oil in stock again.  I love this stuff and it is only $28. per gallon. 

Pat

Offline kamom

• Adept
« Reply #132 on: October 25, 2006, 05:38:36 AM »
 HB,
 Thats very confusing.  ??? I recently ordered from Tropical Traditions,the organic virgin CO, and it tastes quite coconuty, but not as much as the NOW brand which is very yummy. I love it mixed in yogurt and it leaves coconuty chunks. Yummy! ;D I have to watch it tho or it gives me a bellyache :P
  Now why shouln't these two taste the same?

Offline WithLoveAndJoy

• Master
« Reply #133 on: October 25, 2006, 07:09:14 AM »
Probably just differences in the way that they process it, or the exact species of coconut used.
Visit my blog and see my deals for the week :)

http://homemakersresource.blogspot.com/

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #134 on: October 25, 2006, 07:19:44 AM »
...or whether or not the CO HB tasted was from the top or bottom of the drum- maybe all the coconutiness had sunk to the bottom of the barrel ?
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline KeepItSimple

• Adept
« Reply #135 on: October 25, 2006, 08:14:24 AM »
Okay one more question...When you use the coconut oil in smoothies, recipes, etc...do you melt it first??  If so how?  My seems rock solid

..and yes, HB it sort of does have the consistency of a crayon...I liked it right off the spoon...after I pulled the 'close your eyes and open your mouth' trick on my husband, he said..Don't ever do that to me again. (and he loves coconut)...lol!
Wife to a wonderful man who happens to be a Chiropractor (aren't I blessed??) and home schooling mom to four great kids: Victoria ~16, Jacob ~13, Marlee ~8, David ~6

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #136 on: October 25, 2006, 11:10:39 AM »
Someone told me the only way to keep it from turning into little crunchy bits in your smoothy was to mix it with a raw egg yolk first. I haven't tried it myself because I don't have a source that I trust for good (salmonella -free) eggs, yet.
WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline leslieincali

• Adept
« Reply #137 on: October 25, 2006, 12:18:31 PM »
You have to mix it with an emulsifier 1st, like a raw egg. Let me try to remember where I first learned this and I will see the other things that worked. I'm thinking coconut milk.

Offline maideninwaiting

• Adept
« Reply #138 on: October 25, 2006, 01:44:23 PM »
I am using my first gallon of Nutriva Extra virgin, organic, raw coconut oil. I had first tried Jarrow, expeller pressed and whoa!  :o what a difference! To be honest, I perfer the blander taste of the expeller pressed because it didn't leave everything I use it in tasting like one big fresh coconut! I know the Nutriva is healthier, so I too am trying hard to find ways to use it. I love baking with it, using in healhty cakes and cookies, etc. I did have it with stewed cabbage once and it wasn't too bad. However, I think we have come to the decision to use coconut oil for mostly baking (barley pancakes are yummy with it too!) and red palm oil for normal cooking like veggies, meats, etc.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 01:51:41 PM by maideninwaiting »
"I am the LORD: For they shall not be ashamed that wait for me." Isaiah 49:23

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #139 on: October 25, 2006, 02:11:09 PM »
My (half) first-cousin's grandmother (did you get that??)  :o.....
Drank coconut oil mixed with aloe (from her yard) every morning of her life. 
She is still alive (90s) and has never been on medication (except for Alzheimers Disease).  She is still physically healthy.... I guess it is a Cuban tradition.  ???

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #140 on: October 25, 2006, 02:25:45 PM »
Just wanted to let everyone know that Mountain Rose Herbs (mountainroseherbs.com) has unrefined organic coconut oil in stock again.  I love this stuff and it is only $28. per gallon. 

Pat
What's the shipping on that? and is that virgin or expellar pressed?
  My favorite herb book!!

PMESguy

« Reply #141 on: October 25, 2006, 03:53:39 PM »
EV is $8.42 for shipping, $36.42 delivered for me. Best deal I've ever seen! Next time I need some, I'm all over that.

Offline kamom

• Adept
« Reply #142 on: November 03, 2006, 08:21:55 AM »
   We just discovered french toast fried with coconut oil instaed of butter.
   Mmmmm ;D

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #143 on: November 03, 2006, 09:14:30 AM »
You can also make naturally sweetened, no-bake, "candies" from it. I know I have a recipe around here somewhere. I haven't tried it yet but keep intending to. Anyway I've heard they are really good. I'll look for that recipe if anyone is interested.
WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline cpsenter

• Adept
« Reply #144 on: November 03, 2006, 10:26:45 AM »
YES, please do share the recipe!

Offline linemansgirl

• Adept
« Reply #145 on: November 03, 2006, 11:14:24 AM »
YES, please do share the recipe!

Yes!  Please, please do!  I ordered some from mountainroseherb last night.  I sure hope that it is good because it is definitely the cheapest option out there. $37 something with shipping!  It probably won't compare to my NOW brand, but I like the strong coconut taste.
And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.    Galatians 6:9

Offline Livelovely

• Adept
« Reply #146 on: November 03, 2006, 12:12:09 PM »
 I ordered some from mountainroseherb last night.  I sure hope that it is good because it is definitely the cheapest option out there. $37 something with shipping!  It probably won't compare to my NOW brand, but I like the strong coconut taste.

I just got mine from mountainroseherbs and it is great! 
Mama, is your name Honey or just Mama?

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #147 on: November 03, 2006, 12:32:00 PM »
I looked all over my recipe files and this is what I found.
Ready?  ;D
Ok...

CHOCOLATE COCONUT CANDIES

Mix
1 1/2 c. organic virgin coconut oil
2/3 c. organic coconut flakes
1/2 c. soaked & dried organic almond slivers
5 Tbsp. organic cocoa powder
4 Tbsp. raw honey

Mix in food processor until well combined. (A blender probably won't work - tried it and it didn't work.) I wanted to save some out without the PB or butter, so I spooned out about 6 lumps (6 Tbsp.), rolled them into balls and put on a plate.

Add:
2 1/2 - 3 Tbsp. raw butter

Stir into the remaining mix. Mix well.

Then I spooned out about 6 Tbsp. of this onto the plate with the previous mix. I then covered the plate and put it in the fridge.

Next, add:
3 tbsp. peanut butter (used organic crunchy)

Mix in well. Spoon into ice cube trays and freeze. You can also refrigerate and it will be fine, too. If you freeze them, you might want to defrost a bit before eating, as they get a bit hard.

I've also used hazelnut butter and those were my previous favorites, but the peanutbutter/butter ones are the best I've had yet. Enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chocolate Bark

4 T. (1/4 Cup) Virgin Coconut Oil
1-1.5 T. Cocoa Powder
2 oz. nuts (optional)
1/4 t. low-carb sweetener, such as stevia or xylitol

Melt the coconut oil to a liquid, add in cocoa powder and sweetener. Stir to combine and blend well.

Blend nuts into chocolate mixture. (optional)

Have chilled a metal bakeware lasagna or cake pan or pans in freezer for ten minutes or so. Remove from freezer and line with waxed paper. Then pour mixture into chilled pan and spread to desired thickness.

Pop it in refrigerator or freezer on level shelf and let it sit 10 minutes or so. It will harden quickly and breaks with a snap.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 12:36:22 PM by Whiterock »
Who Needs God?

Offline linemansgirl

• Adept
« Reply #148 on: November 03, 2006, 12:35:54 PM »
Thanks!  Sounds yummy!  That sounds like the best way to get coconut oil in that I've heard of in a while. :D

Offline Beth in Idaho

• Adept
« Reply #149 on: November 03, 2006, 06:52:27 PM »
I did want to mention that I have been a bit skeptical about the coconut oil...all those yrs of lowfat dieting I guess! But...I had lost 35 lbs from March to August....and so have all my measurements written down...I measured today...and since started the oil and baking my own bread...and changing from low fat foods....I have added 3 inches back to my waist...and almost 3 inches back to my hips...as well as about 9 lbs...so going to have to make some adjustments somewhere...I still have more to lose and can not afford these type of setbacks! Beth in Idaho