Author Topic: Coconut Oil: Good Brands and Good Deals/Sales  (Read 102792 times)

Offline Maria/NHM

• Adept
    • My Blog
Coconut Oil: Good Brands and Good Deals/Sales
« on: May 08, 2006, 10:44:31 AM »
I found this coconut oil online at Glorybeefoods.

Product Description:  Number one oil used by soapmakers. Produces a hard, cleansing soap with fluffy lather. Food Grade.

I forgot the exact price but I think it was $32.00 for five gallons. I'm confused about whether or not this is meant for baking. Anyone know the scoop on coconut oil? This is ALOT cheaper than anything else I've found!!

« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 11:42:34 AM by Ella »
My Blog
http://naturallyhealthymommy.blogspot.com/
Learning and sharing about nutrition and herbs
My user name used to be Ella :)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Coconut Oil: Good Brands and Good Deals/Sales
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 12:00:53 PM »
How many of you have used coconut oil.  I just bought some and I like it, but haven't tried substituting it for butter because the way I bought it, wasn't much cheaper than butter, but if I just did my calculations right, $32.00 a gallon would be the same as buying 40 lbs of butter, but that would cost me about $120.00 at Walmart.  So this would be cheaper than any other fats that I've purchased so far.  Can I use this in cakes, pastries, breads, etc?  Can I use it in place of shortening in pie-crusts?  How's the flakiness?  I actually use lard in my pie crusts for flakiness, but I can't find pure lard, it's partially hydrogenated so I'd like to stop using it.  Also, I know that deep fried foods are a no-no, but we still use our fry-daddy and so far, we haven't found a better solution than lard.  It has less trans-fats and it's a lot cheaper than moist other fats around here, so hubby said keep the lard in the fryer until I can find a better solution.  Now, the label on my coconut oil says that it burns faster than regular oils, so be careful with the temp when using it to cook with.  So will it burn in my fryer at 400 degrees (high) or can I still make french fries (I know BAD BAD BAD), but we eat-em.  We also fat fry hot wings (I'm going to try baking on another recommendation, but I haven't tried it yet). 

You can check my calc.

2 cups butter = 1 lbs

1 gallon = 4 quarts
1 quart = 2 pints
1 pint = 2 cups

1 quart = 4 cups
1 gallon = 16 cups
5 gallons = 80 cups
80 cups = 40 lbs

1 lbs butter = $3.00
40 lbs butter = $120.00
5 gallons coconut oil = $32.00

My favorite herb book!!

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 12:12:07 PM »
Did you figure in shipping if you're buying it online? I checked out GloryBee, and the shipping was almost as much as the oil!
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline TammyLee

• Learning
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 04:22:56 PM »
I've been reading about coconut oil as I am wanting to use it on my children and myself.  However,  I've discovered that the expensive coconut oil is organic.  Louana, purchased at wal-mart, I'm sure, isn't.  So, I don't think I would want to use it on my children.  What do you think?

TIA!!!  :)

Offline Dalyn

• The Queen of Quite Alot
  • Learning
    • Muckboots 'N Aprons
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 06:02:49 PM »
Ladies,
you want extra virgin, organic cocnut oil. The cheap stuff is what we make soap out of to get it to lather. Don't eat it. All refined oils are bad for you.
The extra virgin is a very good oil for you. There aren't many. I love it, and even put it in our kefir smoothies and my morning coffee. (which I drink w/ raw goat milk- hey I gotta make it a little healthy! I love my coffee) :P
Dalyn
http://muckbootsnaprons.blogspot.com/

http://www.hickchickssoapbarn.com/
Homespun Raw Goat Milk Soaps

"oil and perfume make the heart glad" Pr. 27:9

Offline MRSME

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 09:03:39 AM »
Hi ladies! I just found a deal at Puritans Pride Vitamins on Coconut Oil. Thay have organic  coconut oil  in 1000 mg softgels 120 quantity for 18.39 BUY 1 GET ONE FREE OR BUY 2 GET 4 FREE!!! until dec 11, 2006. after that it is BUY 3 FOR 22.06.  that don't sound like a bad price for me since I can't stand to eat the other stuff anyway. :P They also have EXTRA VIRGIN coconut oil 16OZ  FOR  19.99 BUY 1 GET ONE FREE OR BUY 2 GET 4 FREE UNTIL DEC 11, 2006. After that it is 23.98 for 3. I not doing the math to figure the price per ounce but, sounds good to me.
 product # 16615 for oil softgels and product # 13182 for virgin oil.
thier phone is 1.800.645.1030 or www.puritan.com

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 09:17:38 AM »
Two topics for coconut oil recommendations, sales and brand names were merged for your convenience.  ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2007, 12:58:18 PM »
Is this Coconut Oil found in the Cooking Oil section of the grocery store or is this something in the pharmacy department?

We do not shop at Wal-mart so if it is something that I might find at another Grocery store then I can try there.  I live in SC so I have Bi-Lo, Publix, and Ingles grocery stores here.
http://www.14carrot.net/
5300 Sunset Blvd.
Lexington, SC 29072
803-359-2920
A full line natural product and food store
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2007, 09:19:32 AM »
Is this Coconut Oil found in the Cooking Oil section of the grocery store or is this something in the pharmacy department?

We do not shop at Wal-mart so if it is something that I might find at another Grocery store then I can try there.  I live in SC so I have Bi-Lo, Publix, and Ingles grocery stores here.
5300 Sunset Blvd.
Lexington, SC 29072
803-359-2920
They only had one kind of coconut oil that I could find and it was terribly expensive 5.99 for 5 oz.

Am I missing something?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2007, 09:59:03 AM »

5300 Sunset Blvd.
Lexington, SC 29072
803-359-2920
They only had one kind of coconut oil that I could find and it was terribly expensive 5.99 for 5 oz.

Am I missing something?
Call them. They have Nutiva Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil in 54 oz. containers. Yes, it is expensive. I use it as a supplement and for goot, lotions & RARE baking. For other cooking/frying/sauteeing/baking, I use grapeseed oil, olive oil and/or butter. HTH

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2007, 06:06:14 PM »
Those 54 oz containers of coconut oil at 14 Carrot run $29 and change.

Offline homeschooling madre

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2007, 04:43:28 AM »
I just got Nutiva Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil - 54-ounce jar from Amazon.com for$20 (regularly 29.99).  And you get free shipping from them if your total is $25 or more of THEIR things - order a small book or check out the grocery section and the natural & organic section and the sales & special offers section...I could obviously go on and on.  I never have a problem putting together a $25 order!  They also have the 4 quart glass Pyrex bowls for 4.99 I think - I got one to make my first Kombucha recipe in.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2007, 05:25:00 AM »
I know that there are coconut oil recommendations scattered throughout.  I merged a couple, but I'd really appreciate it, if you would

1)  Post your favorite brand by name, container size, place to purchase and price
2)  A quick calc of price per oz for easy comparison with other posts

Come on, we just hit 2000 members.  Surely there are more than 5 of you that buy this stuff.  ;D

Thanks
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2007, 05:32:00 AM »
Brand:  Jarrow
Type:  Expeller Pressed (extra virgin)
Size:  32 oz
Weight:  2.37 lbs
Price:  $14.34
Shipping:  $6.60 (unless order over $60.00)
Total:  $20.94

Price per oz:

$.654 (w/shipping) $.448 (wo/shipping)

Seller:  iHerb.com
(they often have specials and a discount for first time customers)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 05:35:01 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline joyful_mommy_03

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2007, 05:59:37 AM »
i use two different kinds:

Spectrum Organic, which is at my local grocery store for around $6.00 for 32oz (i have to check the price on that, it seems too cheap)

Koepsell's coconut popcorn oil - its the super cheap stuff in the popcorn aisle for $3.00 for 14oz.  It works just as well on all the external issues we've used it for as the organic stuff.

Here's a link of a product I haven't used but was recommended by a friend at church -
www.uriinternational.com/wholefood/wholefood_coconut.asp?DistID=16141

Offline Myjoy

• Adept
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2007, 07:47:04 AM »
I get mine from Soaperschoice.com. It's $26.74 a gallon with $7.00 shipping to me. It's extra virgin, organic and we love it. We put it in our brown rice, and people always rave about it when they come over to eat. I use a cheaper kind of coconut oil from soaperschoice for soapmaking.

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2007, 08:09:13 AM »
BRAND:  Nutiva Extra Virgin Organic Coconut Oil

SIZE:  1 gallon(8lbs.)

Price:  Sale price of $42.00(Bought through a local co-op)

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2007, 10:47:16 AM »
Brand:  MountainRoseHerbs
Type:  Expeller Pressed (virgin, unrefined, organic)
Size:  1 gallon
Price:  $28.00
Shipping:  $9.64 (I bought 2 other gallons and sold to friends so then the shipping was only $4/gallon...$9.64 is for shipping 1 gallon to me)

Price per oz: assuming there is 128oz (I fail to remember how the fluid, dry, etc amounts go)

$.294 (w/shipping) $.219 (wo/shipping)

Seller:  mountainroseherbs.com

« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 06:36:46 AM by healthybratt »

Offline ~CKMom~

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2007, 10:55:10 AM »
I get mine from Soaperschoice.com. It's $26.74 a gallon with $7.00 shipping to me. It's extra virgin, organic and we love it. We put it in our brown rice, and people always rave about it when they come over to eat. I use a cheaper kind of coconut oil from soaperschoice for soapmaking.

What brand oil is this?  I went to the site and couldn't see what kind it is.  I've liked the stuff from Mountain Rose Herbs, but this was save me a few more bucks.  Just wondering!  Thanks!

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2007, 05:24:57 PM »
yes my joy...I'm interested...they didn't give much info about it...is it coconutty? refined, expeller pressed...do you konw....anyone using MRH's I'ld like to know what you think of tihs kind if you have used both..

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2007, 05:28:03 PM »
also...they say that it is a 7lb container??? isn't there 8 in a gallon...or is it a gallon

Offline Myjoy

• Adept
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2007, 07:50:26 PM »

What brand oil is this?  I went to the site and couldn't see what kind it is.  I've liked the stuff from Mountain Rose Herbs, but this was save me a few more bucks.  Just wondering!  Thanks!

Don't know that it has a brand. It is great tasting. If you have any questions about it, you could email the guy there. He's always really good about responding to questions and could tell you everything you need to know.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2007, 06:32:30 AM »

The following calculations are based on the assumption that 1 lb = 16 oz.

Brand:  n/a
Type:  Extra Virgin Organic
Size:  112 oz (gallon = 128 oz)
Weight:  7 lbs
Price:  $26.74
Shipping:  $7.00
Total:  $33.74
Price per oz:

$.301 (w/shipping) $.239 (wo/shipping)

Seller:  soaperschoice.com
(subsidiary of Columbus Foods:  most of thier oils are food grade)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2007, 06:48:15 AM »
Anyone buy from tropical traditions and have the prices/shipping, etc for this brand?

http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/virgin_coconut_oil.htm
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2007, 06:51:03 AM »
Anyone buy from tropical traditions and have the prices/shipping, etc for this brand?

http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/virgin_coconut_oil.htm
Working on it... I'll try to post this afternoon  ;)

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2007, 10:56:10 AM »
Brand Tropical Traditions

The way I buy---
TypeVirgin and Expeller- pressed, organic
Size 1 gallon each
Price $105
Price per oz. $.43 average per oz. price per oz sh. incl. $.45
Shipping $8.97

TypeVirgin, organic
Size 1 gallon
Price (sale for the last 9 months) $65
price per oz. $.51 + shipping and tax within WI

Type Expeller-pressed, organic
Size1 gallon
Price (sale for last 9 months) $45
Price per oz. $.35 + shipping and tax within WI

Shipping varies by weight and destination. To me 16 oz =$7 sh./ 2 gal. = $9
Price varies by volume purchased. The oils are available in sizes 16 oz - 5 gallons. They also have softgels.

Dh likes this brand because they are a fair trade  company. We have been very pleased w/ the quality of these oils. The virgin is better than the Now brand we had tried and the expeller pressed is not as refined as Louann brand and is totally solvent free, etc. It has a better flavor than LouAnn without tasting coconuty  ;) so it works well where the virgin does not - for example in frying eggs 8) 2 gallons (one each ) supplied our family of four 6-7 months.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 11:00:35 AM by boysmama »

Offline hjm

• Adept
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2007, 12:13:56 PM »
Brand Tropical Traditions

The way I buy---
TypeVirgin and Expeller- pressed, organic
Size 1 gallon each
Price $105
Price per oz. $.43 average per oz. price per oz sh. incl. $.45
Shipping $8.97

TypeVirgin, organic
Size 1 gallon
Price (sale for the last 9 months) $65
price per oz. $.51 + shipping and tax within WI

Type Expeller-pressed, organic
Size1 gallon
Price (sale for last 9 months) $45
Price per oz. $.35 + shipping and tax within WI

Shipping varies by weight and destination. To me 16 oz =$7 sh./ 2 gal. = $9
Price varies by volume purchased. The oils are available in sizes 16 oz - 5 gallons. They also have softgels.

Dh likes this brand because they are a fair trade  company. We have been very pleased w/ the quality of these oils. The virgin is better than the Now brand we had tried and the expeller pressed is not as refined as Louann brand and is totally solvent free, etc. It has a better flavor than LouAnn without tasting coconuty  ;) so it works well where the virgin does not - for example in frying eggs 8) 2 gallons (one each ) supplied our family of four 6-7 months.

I buy the Tropical Traditions also.  I wait until they are having a two for one sale or something close and stock up for a long time.
hjm

Offline makingchanges

• Adept
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2007, 03:07:55 PM »
[ We have been very pleased w/ the quality of these oils. The virgin is better than the Now brand we had tried and the expeller pressed is not as refined as Louann brand and is totally solvent free, etc. It has a better flavor than LouAnn without tasting coconuty  ;) so it works well where the virgin does not - for example in frying eggs 8) 2 gallons (one each ) supplied our family of four 6-7 months.

Can anyone tell me when you use expeller vs virgin coconut oil? Plus, I did not see expeller pressed oil on it. Did I miss it?

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2007, 04:55:09 AM »
at mrh theirs is virgin expeller pressed so I'm not sure what the difference is... tt seems to label them as two different things...

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2007, 05:16:03 AM »
OK this is the way I understand the processes of extracting virgin oil and expeller pressed oil...
For TT virgin oil the wet, fresh coconut meat is pressed and and the milk is then fermented which results in a natural separation of the oil and water portions of the milk. The oil is filtered etc.
For the TT expeller pressed the coconut meat is slightly dried (I think) -which means the water is gone- and then the meat is put under high pressure to extract the oil. The oil is steam deodorized which is what makes it more bland.

Then you have types like the LouAnn coconut oil which are made from dried coconut meat and the oil is extracted w/ solvents...

I don't have time this morning to go back and double check my memory so check it out for yourself www.tropicaltraditions.com  ;D HTH