Author Topic: Asthma (Children & Adults): Causes, Treatments & Cures  (Read 28417 times)

Offline Charis

• Adept
Asthma (Children & Adults): Causes, Treatments & Cures
« on: April 07, 2006, 03:43:08 AM »
OK my son has athma like symptoms since he was a baby. It has never really slowed himdown. He runs wild just breaths hard. He had several bouts of pneumonia between ages 2-5. I read that ascarsis (probably didn't spell that right) can cause this. How do you get rid of them? None of the medications they put him on helped except Albuteral. It opens constricted airways. We never had any serious "attacks". He got the croup real often. He's hardly ever sick now.
"Momma can I have some fruit? I think my body needs some vitamin C." -Madelyn 5

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Asthma (Children & Adults): Causes, Treatments & Cures
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 04:55:44 AM »
There's a thread about Milk/Dairy products and in it, Beeyoutiful girl listed some websites.  I read one of the articles and here is an excerpt.

...As this putrid sludge accumulates from daily consumption of dairy products, the body forces some of it out through the skin (acne, blemishes) and lungs (catarrh), while the rest of it festers inside, forms mucus that breeds infections, causes allergic reactions, and stiffens joints with calcium deposits....

The Dairy thread is here
http://welltellme.com/discuss/index.php?topic=77.new;topicseen#new

The article I took the excerpt from is here
http://www.hps-online.com/foodprof3.htm?PHPSESSID=c6a33efbfa905c9681cb7c2d2160572f
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Leah IL

• Adept
    • Hillman Acres
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 07:42:56 AM »
Please research soy sensitivity.  The symptoms of soy allergy/sensitivity closely resemble asthma.  Does he suffer from eczema as well?  That can also be a symptom.  This was our experience:

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/hillmanacres

I feel silly, this is the second time I've posted this link today but I'd rather link to it than type the whole story out here.  Hope it helps.

This is also an excellent link on the subject:

http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/4620/
Leah
Married to Ken 14 years, mom to Kenny (13), Kyle and Kaitlyn (11), Kevin (5) and Megan and Melissa (1 1/2)

My Intro: http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,1573.msg838.html#msg838

Offline Charis

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2006, 01:28:26 AM »
Thank you I will read it. We're getting over croup and strep throught right now.
"Momma can I have some fruit? I think my body needs some vitamin C." -Madelyn 5

Offline bakermom

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 02:35:34 AM »
My daughter had RSV a year ago and has since had several infections and times of wheezing.  She did go from January until now with no episodes of any illness or wheezing.  This past week was bad though with ear infection, eye infections and wheezing.  She likely has asthma but will hopefully grow out of it. 
How can I keep her healthy this coming year?  It seems that respiratory illnesses are what brings on the wheezing problem.  She is only one so she is not eating bad foods.  She was nursed and now drinks fresh unprocessed cows milk.  All our kids do this year since we moved.  Is there anything additional that I can do to prevent future problems, especially for next winter?

Offline Kansas Girl

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 05:04:30 AM »
My family has been taking Elderberry concentrate for over two years now and we have rarely gotten a cold and never the respiratory flu since then.  It has been a great immune builder and it is supposed to be great for Asthma and allergies. 
-KG
having a baby" border="0

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2006, 05:54:13 AM »
My children get resperatory problems from drinking cows milk, raw or processed, but theirs is an allergy. She may be allergic. You could try goats milk awhile to find out. It would take a month to know. Also, we there is an herbal med. called "Lung Tonic" from Trilight Herbs (trilightherbs.com) that can be taken long term to help strengthen little ones with a tendency for res. problems. They have an asthma tonic too. You can read the ingredients and make your own, or whatever. This year I am growing some of the herbs, and next year hope to grow them all, except the wild cherry bark...
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline still*learning

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2006, 03:16:15 PM »
Hi there --
My 9 month old son has the same situation. He has had bronchiolitis (a different strain of the RSV virus) two times in his short little life. The second time was really bad and it was thought he had pneumonia.

When he gets a cold he goes all out - it goes into ear infections and then goes into wheezing and bronchial spasms where he can not stop coughing. Very similar to your daughter.

I am here like you to learn more! But here are some things that we have done that have made a difference for us.

I also have a 3 year old and she suffers with picking everything up as well just not as extreme as he does. She has been taking Children's ACF (Acute Cold Flu) by Buried Treasure and this has made a huge difference. Do a google search for it and you will come up with several web sites. I give her this once a month for a week and of course if she gets sick I give it to her right away.

I have not given to the baby yet. I am really not all that educated on giving herbs to infants - the labels always state for older children but can the dose be adjusted???? Maybe someone else can help with that! I got the adult version for my husband when he was sick and it helped him as well!

Just two weeks ago my son got a cold. I gave him garlic poultices three times a day for three days and his cold was gone! This is the first one he has had that has not turned into a spiraling situation of more illness. I was so excited that I actually posted here about it! It is so simple and worked so quickly!

I also put liquid vitamin c in his baby food or water. I give him additional doses when he is sick.

Here is a link where you can read about garlic and how to make the poultice:

http://www.nogreaterjoy.org/index.php?id=herb-lessons

I am going to look into the other suggestions here as well!

Offline Sanya

• Learning
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2006, 03:42:34 PM »
Just two weeks ago my son got a cold. I gave him garlic poultices three times a day for three days and his cold was gone! This is the first one he has had that has not turned into a spiraling situation of more illness. I was so excited that I actually posted here about it! It is so simple and worked so quickly!

I also put liquid vitamin c in his baby food or water. I give him additional doses when he is sick.

I'm convinced that natural remedies build our bodies ability to overcome illnesses on their own.  My 2 year old son (at the time) had thes same problems.  We changed our eating habits, and stopped all the antibiotics, OTC, and prescription meds (we stopped going to the doc so much and investigated things ourselves).  We began the garlic, vit. C, echinacea, elderberry, etc.  All these things didn't work right away.  But we noticed that he was less and less apt to get sick (wheezing and stuff) from a cold (even got colds far less).  He is almost 6 now.  He hasn't had any asthmatic episodes in the last 2 years.  He doesn't even have severe allergic reactions to ant bites anymore!!  God is soooooo great in his wisdom and provision for us!!   ;D
"Every day is a good day...some days are just better than others. "     ~ My Hubbie  :>

Offline bakermom

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2006, 01:05:53 AM »
Thank you so much for all the info!!!!!
How much liquid vit c can you give a 1yo?
What is elderberry concentrate and how much?
Also, can you give the odorless garlic?  I am pregnant and garlic is my number one enemy in smell and taste. 

Also, I don't think I can get goats milk here.  I have no idea but I would try it.  Trouble is, I don't know when she will get the next cold. She does not normally have any nasal or breathing symptoms. Only when she has a cold.   If we gave up on giving her the good cows milk she is not likely to catch a cold for awhile anyway since it is going to be summer. 

I heard yesterday that allergies usually develop later after the asthma starts so I am anxious about next fall. 

Offline mishy

• Master
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2006, 05:32:17 AM »
 HELP!!!  :)  I am trying to solve a mystery involving my aunt.  She has an asthma problem.  She moved into this new house that they built and 6 mos later she developed asthma.  She has been tested for "everything" and the docs haven't found anything that she is allergic to.  However she told me that they went out of town camping recently and she didn't have any problems at all with asthma!  So she MUST be allergic to something in the area she lives.  Could water do this?  Or would it have to be a plant/tree??? 
We have already established that she must have candida.  She is "on" the makers diet ("" because she cheats) and is working on getting herself set up with probiodics.
The docs have washed her hands of her and told here there is nothing more they can do except they will do one more surgery to open up her tubes in her nose (something to that effect). 
thanks!

Offline Soñadora

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2006, 05:54:19 AM »
Has she had the house checked for mold??

My SIL's kids are having problems with this, and they are in a brand new house.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 05:55:57 AM by Soñadora »
You have no idea who I think I am.

Offline still*learning

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2006, 07:44:17 AM »
Hi there,
We built a new home a little over 3 years ago. I have asthma and allergies but as I grew into adulthood both became more manageable for me - especially the asthma.

When we moved into our new home I had a terrible time with both my allergies and asthma. I could not take anything other than my inhaler because I was breastfeeding at the time (was not into the healthy thing at the time). I had a hard time for about 3-4 months.

I determined that it was all of the new THINGS in our house - and all of the DUST that is brought up building the house. The paint, the carpet etc. When we moved in there was a lot of thick dust everywhere.

I just followed my regimen of taking my inhaler as needed for attacks and cleaning a lot. More dust will appear!

It appears like she is just reacting to all of the new things in her environment. Good thing is that mine went away and hopefully hers will soon as well.

Offline Soñadora

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2006, 08:35:53 AM »
I was just thinking the same thing as laurenvc. New carpet, insulation, and other building materials might be the problem. I think I'm going to bring these things up to my SIL, as well.
You have no idea who I think I am.

Offline mishy

• Master
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2006, 12:08:07 PM »
I will ask her about the mold possibility. 
She has lived there for 4-5 years now, so the house is no longer "new". 
laurenvc, what is the healthy alternative to an inhaler? 

Thanks all!!

Offline still*learning

• Adept
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2006, 03:39:32 PM »
Hi Mishy --
Sorry about my confusion with my post. I was posting during kiddy nap time and had a lot of work to get done so was rushing through it.

What I should have said was when we moved in I was wanting to take my allergy medicines BUT I was breastfeeding so I could not. I did of course take my rescue inhaler for my asthma attacks as needed. That is always permitted even through pregnancy and while BF because it is worse if the mother can't breathe than what can happen to the baby.

Fortunately me for me now that I am not pregnant and only breastfeeding and new to being more healthy and herbal remedies I have not yet researched anything on alternatives for inhalers.

Maybe someone else out there knows....

I am praying for her that this remedies itself - asthma is scary and not fun!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2006, 04:20:13 PM »
My daughter was diagnosed with asthma about a year ago.  I took her off homogenized milk months ago and the symptoms have disappeared, never to return.

I was just thinking, how many people really drink alot of milk when they are camping?  I know we don't get much milk unless we are at home.  Just a thought.  ;)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline DawnsEarlyBirds

• Adept
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2006, 05:05:03 PM »
OK my son has athma like symptoms since he was a baby. It has never really slowed himdown. He runs wild just breaths hard. He had several bouts of pneumonia between ages 2-5. I read that ascarsis (probably didn't spell that right) can cause this. How do you get rid of them? None of the medications they put him on helped except Albuteral. It opens constricted airways. We never had any serious "attacks". He got the croup real often. He's hardly ever sick now.
Here's a link to the curezone article about ascarsis.  I have been researching this for my 23 year old son who has had asthma since he was about 2.  I am convinced he has the parasites, especially since his asthma started after he tried eating some dog poop - YUCK!!!!!  He has done so many cleanses etc. that this is about the last thing we can try.  If you go to this link you have to scroll down a bit to get to the ascaris part.

http://curezone.com/clark/ascaris.asp

Offline anynomouse

• Adept
  • my babies
    • Daisy Blue Naturals consultant web page
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2006, 11:23:46 AM »
I was diagnosed with Reactive Airway Disease (type of asthma) when I was pregnant with my daughter...almost 5yrs. I only had problems with it while I was pregnant and nursing, between the time I was done nursing her and pregnant with our son (about 15months) I had no problems with my lungs. Allergies and head colds (which irritated the asthma when I was pregnant) did not bother me at all. Now my dh and I are hoping I will get pregnant again and I dread the lung problems. Not only because it is scary when you can not breathe, but I can not take any of the inhaled steroids because i get super crazy and irrational as a side effect.
Any suggestions on what to use to help keep my lungs in tip top shape?

What is the deal with candida being the culprit for so many things?
I normally take acidophiles (spelling)  just to keep my IT healthy, is there more to it?

Offline AgainstTheGrain

• Adept
  • John & Me
    • My Blog: For Such A Time As This
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2006, 06:05:16 PM »
I've been dealing with asthma in my 7yo son for over 5 years now. :'(  We have done MANY things that have not worked for us. Herbals, glyconutritionals, acupuncture, homeopathic remedies, etc. etc. The one thing that I do know for certain is that asthma is an individual situation. Meaning that what causes asthma in 1 person probably won't be the reason another person has asthma.  Our most promising action so far has been an MD in St. Louis, Mo. who practices non-medically. His main form of "diagnosing" what your root problem is is called Acupuncture Meridian Assessment. The link to the article that talks about it is http://www.preventionandhealing.com/pah-articles.htm   In our son's case he had RSV at 10 months, then developed asthma over the next 2 years. I believe some of the antibiotics caused Leaky Gut, and Dr. Yu treated him for 2 parasites. We're now working on repairing the damage that the parasite did.  It's a looooooong process :P  but it took him about 4 years to get to this place and it may take that long for him to heal.  :-\ 

I agree with HB about the milk thing!!  Unfortunately that is not our son's problem since he has been allergic to dairy since birth. He has absolutely no dairy what so ever. But it is a big problem with many!

Mishy - treating your aunt for Candida and Leaky Gut is an excellent place to start.  If she moved to a different part of the country - like to a new state - the pollens could be different and making her react.   As far has herbal remedies can can help: First of all if an asthma attack has already started a rescue inhaler is the only answer  :-\  Remember, you can DIE from an asthma attack because of the drop in blood oxygen level ( I've had my son pass out on me before :'( ) Some herbal to try Lobelia, Nettle, EyeBright . . . but if she has pollen allergies, she may be allergic to some herbals as well, so be careful. If you have The ABC Herbal book they give some recommendations in there.

I think asthma is one of the most frustrating conditions >:( because the root cause is different for everyone. I hope this helps some, and that she finds relief.
Vanessa in Iowa
Mom to 5 boys and 1 baby girl ages Newborn to 12

Offline Matushka

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2006, 03:38:28 AM »
I have two questions:

1. What are some herbal (or other) alternatives to asthma and allergy medications?

2. Does a person need to be off these medications altogether to see the benefit of the alternatives?

I am hoping the coming change the seasons will allow me to go off Singulair for a few months and, when the need arises, introduce these other options.

Offline a_new_creation

• Adept
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2006, 08:26:22 AM »
You might want to look into a supplement called MSM.  I've been reading about it in a book called "The Miracle of MSM" and it talks about asthma and allergies some.  It is very safe.

I got my used hardback copy (that looks totally brand new) at amazon from a amazon-related dealer for a penny!  Shipping brought it to $3.50, but still it was a screamin' deal!  You can get all sorts of used-but-in-fantastic-condition books like that.

Here's a link:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0399145397/sr=8-2/qid=1159035814/ref=sr_1_2/102-2000161-9781701?ie=UTF8&s=books
Carla
Wife to Doug ('00), Mama to Noah ('02), Claire ('04), and Chloe ('06)

Offline CKSMOM

• Adept
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2006, 09:05:05 AM »
My dh has terrible asthma and allergies and also takes singulair and has a purple inhaler he uses during the rough season, however, he uses some of the following herbs during the beginning and end of season when it isn't so serious:

1. Lobelia tinture (be careful, too much will make you vomit)
2. Sinus Plus Formula from Dr. Christopher
3. Sinus Support coupled with Hista Block from Nature's Sunshine

He doesn't use them all at once, just as he needs them.  It's too bad they banned Ephedra, because he used to take Breathe Easy from Nature's Sunshine and that really helped.  Hope this helps.

Offline anynomouse

• Adept
  • my babies
    • Daisy Blue Naturals consultant web page
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2006, 03:16:30 PM »
My dh has terrible asthma and allergies and also takes singulair and has a purple inhaler he uses during the rough season, however, he uses some of the following herbs during the beginning and end of season when it isn't so serious:

He doesn't use them all at once, just as he needs them.  It's too bad they banned Ephedra, because he used to take Breathe Easy from Nature's Sunshine and that really helped.  Hope this helps.

Is Ephedra natural? just curious...

Offline DebAnn

• Learning
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2006, 03:27:42 PM »
I have just joined and I realize this thread is a month old but I wanted to share some info.
We have just found a product from Limited Edition Herbs called Breez Blend.  My 15 yo dd has had asthma since she was a baby.  She is on advair and albuterol.  She had an episode last week and we tried Breez blend after she had used the albuterol about 3 times and it didn't seem to be helping.  The breeze blend helped!  It contains horehound,mullein, astragalus,sage, oregon grape, licorice, lobelia, & chammomile.  I should also say that she had not been taking her advair (probably the reason for the episode)  the breez  blend worked faster and better than albuterol as a rescue remedy.
I am still researching natural preventives.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 03:32:03 PM by DebAnn »
Rejoicing in hope,
       patient in tribulation,
              continuing instant in prayer.
Romans 12:12

Offline Mom2four

• Adept
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2006, 07:49:35 AM »
All of my children have had childhood asthma which they outgrew around 4.  My 4 1/2 year old is still having problems.  I have tried so many things that have lessened symptoms, but not completely gotten it under control yet.  The only pharmaceutical meds we use is Xopenex in a nebulizer ONLY when he is actually sick and wheezing.  On a daily basis, I now have him on glyconutrients.  I just started using it about a month ago and so far so good. 

Standard process has a herbal blend called pneumotrophin that helps and I also did a heavy metal cleanse on him per advice from a naturopath.

Offline Rita

• Learning
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2006, 09:23:59 AM »
My sisters son (2 1/2 yrs.) has asthma.  I told her I would help her find a natural remedy.  The only thing I came across was raw milk.  So she tried it.  He has been drinking the raw cow's milk for 20 days and been with out a breathing treatment for 17 days.  He was taking 1 breathing treatment a day.

Offline CKSMOM

• Adept
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2006, 12:40:42 PM »

Is Ephedra natural? just curious...

As far as I know, Ephedra was (is) an herb.  I believe they call it Brigham Tea also.  But for some reason, I think they said it had something to do with heart problems or something, they banned its use.

Offline rebekahgrif

• Adept
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2006, 12:51:23 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, ephedra (and it IS an herb) was banned because of substance abuse.  One of itsside effects is increased metabolism, so people were taking it as a diet ade.  It DOES increase the heart rate, and at high doses can have problems.  I have also seen it used in your "herbal energy pills" you can get at convenience stores.  It would be mixed with caffene o help people stay awake.  What ended up happening was a few kids had heart attacks during ball practice.  It got widely abused.

Offline T

• Adept
    • Red Umbrella Cosmetics
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2006, 02:51:28 AM »
I have asthma now as an adult.  Never had it as a child.  I wondered if I had damaged my lungs with 2 cases of scarlet fever as a child or a nasty case of bronchitis.  I had someone at a health store suggest that I might have a lung fluke.  She said I should buy the lung fluke remedy and see and if it didn't go away.  She said if it didn't I would know that I really had asthma.  It was so expensive and I wasn't sure to trust her so I didn't get it.  Anyone have info on this?  I do find that if I don't walk a few times a week (we live in the North Georgia mountains and have many hills) that I get worse.  I know the strenuous exercise helps me a lot but I would love it to be gone!!!   It feels like you're having a heart attack when it comes on and is frightening when you're stressed and don't know what is happening.  Mine is somewhat mild so I don't always remember what is going on when there is a decent amount of time between attacks.