Author Topic: Episiotomy Care  (Read 8545 times)

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
Episiotomy Care
« on: April 28, 2006, 06:59:17 AM »
I'm not sure if this belongs here or in the childbirth thread, but here goes....
  Does anyone have a recommendation for an herbal salve that would soothe/heal an episiotomy or tear to the perineum?  I know my one sister made something gooey & green for our other sister, but since her extremely natural lifestyle does not include electricity and she lives 3000 miles away, I doubt I'll be able to ask her what was included.  (My other sister only knows it worked and it had to be refridgerated.  ::) )  Has anyone had good results with this?      ~Layla
« Last Edit: April 30, 2006, 04:38:44 AM by healthybratt »

Offline Maria/NHM

• Adept
    • My Blog
Re: Episiotomy Care
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2006, 07:59:01 AM »
One idea would be to mix slipper elm bark with other antibiotic herbs ( goldenseal, teatree oil) and add enough water to make a poultice. Slippery elm should be at least a 1/3 of your poultice mixture. It is sometimes recommended  to place a couple pieces of gauze over the poultice to help hold in place. You do want to make sure that the raw edges of the tear stay clean and together.

Myrrh gum is also supposed to be good to mix the herbs with. I've never used it.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 11:50:56 AM by Ella »
My Blog
http://naturallyhealthymommy.blogspot.com/
Learning and sharing about nutrition and herbs
My user name used to be Ella :)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2006, 08:40:34 AM »
I'm not sure if this belongs here or in the childbirth thread, but here goes....
  Does anyone have a recommendation for an herbal salve that would soothe/heal an episiotomy or tear to the perineum?  I know my one sister made something gooey & green for our other sister, but since her extremely natural lifestyle does not include electricity and she lives 3000 miles away, I doubt I'll be able to ask her what was included.  (My other sister only knows it worked and it had to be refridgerated.  ::) )  Has anyone had good results with this?      ~Layla

Check this thread.

Childbirth

« Last Edit: April 30, 2006, 04:39:02 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline simplecountrygal

• Learning
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2006, 05:23:06 PM »
You may be interested in this product or making something similar yourself:

http://www.birthsupplies.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=282
« Last Edit: April 30, 2006, 04:39:13 AM by healthybratt »

Offline Monita

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007, 04:07:24 AM »
I am 37 weeks along and still at the start of my road to doing things naturally.  I have had two episiotomies in the past and my last I didn't have one nor did I tear.  In the past I alway used the cream they gave and the "tucks" pads.  I would like to know what I could do to heal that area incase of an episiotomy or tear.  I want to be ready! ;D  I love that I can come here and research, ask, and learn! 8)

Mona

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2007, 04:51:08 AM »
I thought the Sitz afterbirth herbs from birthsupplies.com (email sorry I don't have the web address) helped me heal quickly. Rinse with an infusion of the herbs after every toilet use and a sitz bath as often as you like. The ing. are comfrey leaf, sage, rosemary,shepard's purse, uva ursi, lavendar, and sea salt. I also made my own little pads out of viva paper towels and witchhazel.

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2007, 05:06:00 AM »
They say that doing the kegels is supposed to strengthen that area.  Also, doing mild "pregnancy safe" exercises(walking) helps, too.  As for afterwards, I would drink some aloe vera juice to help with healing in case you do tear.
I moved very little with my first and tore pretty bad.  I walked a lot with my second and didn't tear.  HTH!

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2007, 05:54:39 AM »
Boysmama has a very good list of herbs that would be wonderful for a sitz bath following a birth. When I got my birthing kit years ago, it had a wonderful little herbal mixture from Blessed Herbs. Don't know if they still sell it, but I made a poultice out of the mixture, put it in cheesecloth and placed it right on that tender area after a birth. I was amazed at how fast I healed!! It contained most all of the herbs that boysmama listed above.

Another suggestion that somebody had on here that I thought was teriffic was to soak pads with the tea made from those herbs and put those pads into the freezer. After the birth, take them out and use them--you have the cooling effect as well as the healing. Great idea, whoever put that on here!! Wish I had that knowledge years ago for my homebirths.  :)
"No one stands as tall as a Christian on his knees."
Get $5 off your first iHerb.com order: Code ISA141

Offline Monita

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2007, 01:42:07 PM »
I have been doing the kegels and have even done perineum massage, I am hoping for no tears or episiotimy.  The thing is that I get seen at a military hospital and when you go in to have your baby you have whoever is on call and some of those people are episiotimy happy. ::)  One of the male Dr.s just cut my friend whose baby was not in distress and was only 5lbs.  She is in so much pain right now. :(  I will tell them not to give me one and I will tell them that I have been preparing the area, but you just never know what they will do. 
I love the idea on the herbs but I have no access to most of those herbs here in Japan and cannot order online right now. I do have witchhazel and we do have a GNC store on base that sells Aloe Vera juice.  I have an Aloe plant and rosemary too, could I use that? Oh, and I have sea salt.  Maybe I could try to make something with the couple of things I do have.  Thank you for your replies! :)

Mona

Offline flyncat

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2007, 03:54:45 AM »
With my first I had one, and honestly the thought of another one isn't that depressing to me. I believe that is because I used neosporin on it, and it healed much faster than other women who had had babies about the same time I did. It kept it soft, and healed it quickly. I'm new to all these herbs and such, so maybe someone could recommend something similar but more natural? I'm sure it's something you could find in Japan though. Hope that helps. ;D
Sarah Mama to Will 8/05 and little brother or sister 3/07

Offline bizymum

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2007, 04:51:56 AM »
Doing squats at the end of pregnancy and during labor help stretch the area.  I did this (my baby is 10 weeks old) and I had no tear or episiotomy and my baby was 8lbs. 4oz.

earthymomof2

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2007, 11:29:59 AM »
Monita,

If you get an unknown doctor at the hospital, just remember that you always, at any time have the right to say "DON'T cut me".  They can't even touch you if you say no.  You may have to enforce this and have your support person (husband?) back you up, but even in the middle of crowning you can say "don't do that" and they'd better abide by your wishes. 

Just wanted to encourage you not to resign yourself to the nearly inevitable episiotomy.  Doctor's seem to think they're "absolutely necessary" about 95 percent of the time it seems.

Great advice your getting for the other women too about stretching and healing.  Best wishes,

Sarah

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2007, 06:13:06 AM »
Monita,

If you get an unknown doctor at the hospital, just remember that you always, at any time have the right to say "DON'T cut me".  They can't even touch you if you say no.  You may have to enforce this and have your support person (husband?) back you up, but even in the middle of crowning you can say "don't do that" and they'd better abide by your wishes. 

Just wanted to encourage you not to resign yourself to the nearly inevitable episiotomy.  Doctor's seem to think they're "absolutely necessary" about 95 percent of the time it seems.

Great advice your getting for the other women too about stretching and healing.  Best wishes,

Sarah
Blah...episiotomy happy is right :( with our first we said no episiotomy  just let it tear naturally...I was confident it wasn't going to tear too badly because I had done excercises, used olive oil on the perineum the last weeks and hot compresses during labor etc. Well in the middle of crowning he just grabbed up the scapel and did a HUGE episiotomy :'( >:( and then on top of that didn't stitch it correctly >:( >:( With our second I tore along the old scar but that doc stitched it up differently and it healed  w/ no scar line. Hoping this isn't going to repeat at every birth. The 2nd doc definitely felt that I would not have torn at all if it hadn't been for the old scar.
So do make sure you say don't cut AT ALL and have it written down and initialed so that you can go back and "chastise" them if they disregard your directives..

earthymomof2

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2007, 04:45:01 AM »
boysmama,

That makes me cringe!!   Literally, my skin is crawling.  And to think that your doctor did that even though your express wishes were not to have one. 

Like you said, it's important to make sure your wishes are clear---have it in writing, in your chart, and extra copies handy, whatever it takes. 

Shudder,

Sarah   

Offline Monita

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2007, 10:02:31 PM »
That makes me cringe!!   

Me too! >:(

If you get an unknown doctor at the hospital, just remember that you always, at any time have the right to say "DON'T cut me".  They can't even touch you if you say no.

Unfortunately, this does not work in the military hospital here.  They just do what they want and justify it later. 

I think that the advice about doing squats is excellent!  I will get busy doing those!  I don't anticipate having to get an episiotimy or tearing but it's good to know what I can do naturally if the area does get damaged.  :)

Thank you!

JoyInHim

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2007, 10:12:48 AM »
Mona, during your daily shower, rub the perineum a good deal.  Have some Vitamin E oil (or break a capsule) available, and apply it to the birth opening area daily, after you shower.  The vit. E oil will prepare the skin for stretching, and healing should you tear or have the episiotomy.

If possible, have hot oil and hot compresses applied as you birth.

Let your uterus slowly ease the head out - it usually takes several contractions after crowning (or during crowning.)  Don't panic if you feel the head receed somewhat between contractions: that is how the birth outlet slowly stretches to its full opening size.

Pushing rapidly can cause tearing.

You can purchase herbal baths for after the birth.  Have your husband brew it in your largest stock pot, as strong as possible (simmer a half hour or so.)  After it cools, he can bring you the pot, keep it by the tub.  Put a quart or two into each bath - try to take a couple a day, or at least one, the first week.  Use it in your peri bottle after every time you use the toilet.

Ideally your first herbal bath is 5 min. after delivering and you are able to get up and walk to it safely (blood sugar stablized - if not drink some juice, go slowly, with help).  If you are home : )  Your baby can then be handed to you, and will enjoy soaking it in with you keeping his face out of the water.  Don't worry, he has been pickled in 98 degree amniotic fluid for 9 months....this feels like heaven to him, and I have 4 photos of smiling newborns to support that!  It will help heal the baby's cord area, as well as preventing soreness from the squeeze. 

I had -perfect- results with these techiniques, thanks to my midwife.  (By perfect I mean no tearing, no soreness within minutes of the baby's birth, and baby's cord stumps fell off after just a few days.)

Enjoy!
I am 37 weeks along and still at the start of my road to doing things naturally.  I have had two episiotomies in the past and my last I didn't have one nor did I tear.  In the past I alway used the cream they gave and the "tucks" pads.  I would like to know what I could do to heal that area incase of an episiotomy or tear.  I want to be ready! ;D  I love that I can come here and research, ask, and learn! 8)

Mona

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2007, 10:32:06 AM »
Wow!  That sounds wonderful, JoyInHim!

I had a very easy time with my last one, only a small tear.  I really did not want to take the time to indulge in sitz baths, so I kept a peri bottle full of either strong salt water or witch hazel in the bathroom.  A squirt during each trip to the potty was very soothing.  I also used Bone, Flesh and Cartilage ointment, but Burt's Bees Diaper Ointment (with zinc oxide) would feel good, too.  The diaper ointment is really a good all-purpose remedy for cuts, rashes and irritations.  The zinc oxide is a great wound healer.

I used Epi-No to prepare for delivery.  I think it was very helpful.  BUT I did not push.  Baby just slid right out with no extra help from me - 5 minutes after we got to the hospital.  Shoulda stayed home!

Offline KLJuun

• Learning
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2007, 11:27:37 PM »
This question is sort of along the lines of this topic:

I'm getting ready to give birth in January. With my first birth, I tore and also had an episiotomy. I wish I had known about all these remedies because recovery was rough.
This time I would LOVE to stay intact. I'm wondering whether, since I'm significantly more stretched out than the first time, I still should do those perineum stretches (where you insert two thumbs and press to the side and toward the anal wall, etc) to reduce chances of tearing. That area is just downright hard to reach. 
Maybe rubbing some vit E oil on the opening would suffice?

Offline Roehrmomma

• Master
    • Polished cornerstones
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2007, 04:03:32 AM »
Would you husband help you out? ::)

Evening primrose oil taken orally is supposed to help.I would also get some sitz baths for after birth for added comfort.

Em

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2007, 04:38:27 AM »
This question is sort of along the lines of this topic:

I'm getting ready to give birth in January. With my first birth, I tore and also had an episiotomy. I wish I had known about all these remedies because recovery was rough.
This time I would LOVE to stay intact. I'm wondering whether, since I'm significantly more stretched out than the first time, I still should do those perineum stretches (where you insert two thumbs and press to the side and toward the anal wall, etc) to reduce chances of tearing. That area is just downright hard to reach. 
Maybe rubbing some vit E oil on the opening would suffice?

My first baby was almost 9lbs and I needed an episiotomy.  I treated with ice packs for 24 hours and sitz baths.  I didn't have that bad of a time.  With my second he was almost 7lbs.  I didn't need the episiotomy, but my doctor worked with me and helped to stretch some.  I do remember feeling more pressure with my son.  The recovery was 100% better.  If you can get by without the episiotomy do it.  After my first I felt like I had been hit by a semi-truck.  I couldn't even get out of the bed without help that first day.  The second won was totally different.    I would take any precaution that might help to ensure that I wouldn't need an episiotomy.  I don't know if this helps any or maybe someone else has more experience, but this is just my oppinion.
Proverbs 31:26
"She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness."