Author Topic: ADEM Encephalitis  (Read 21980 times)

Offline Texas Girl.

• Adept
ADEM Encephalitis
« on: December 17, 2006, 01:57:07 PM »
My husband was just discharged from the hospital with a diagnosis of a.d.e.m.....Acute Disseminated(?) Encepho...myo....something!  Encephalitis, in other words. I took him to the ER thinking he had had a STROKE....slurring words, stumbling, disoriented, etc. Has anyone had any experience with this?  The info I'm reading on the internet is very scary and discouraging.  Apparently this is extrememly rare in an adult and so most of what I"m reading regards children.  I'd appreciate ANY info, esp. any advice on what I can do to help him.  The info we received at discharge was vague.  He actually seems worse today than he was the day I took him into the ER so I'm VERY WORRIED.  I'm planning on pursuing more intense medical care tomorrow morning (its Sunday night), but meanwhile just curious about what I could find out here.  THanks for any help or comments you have!

Offline Texas Girl.

• Adept
Re: ADEM Encephalitis
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006, 01:57:48 PM »
He's 38, btw.  I don't know if age matters.

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006, 02:46:20 PM »
Hi,
This happened to my husband a year ago.  God bless you, I know how terrifying this is.  I sent you a PM (personal message, I think).  I included my email address and phone #.  My husband fully recovered but it was a nightmare.  Please know that my heart goes out to you and I will not stop praying for you.
hhmom

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2006, 06:40:18 PM »
My Dad had this 30 years ago. It is extremely serious and you should seek medical care as soon as possible. Keeping his fevers under control (cool baths) is important. I would also do the same things as for a virus - garlic poultices, detox baths with salt, vit C in high doses.

More than anything, I'd recommend calling every man of God that you know and asking them to come and lay hands on your husband and pray for him. We will pray for you tonight as well.

Anybody else that reads this, please pray for this man. This is not a light illness.

thanks,
Rebekah
Honey Sunny in complete exasperation:
"JOE!!! You DOUGHNUT COCONUT COCONUT COCONUT!!!"

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 07:56:12 AM »
Hoping to hear back from you on how your hubby is doing... still praying for you.

-Rebekah

Offline jammy

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2006, 08:54:43 AM »
Praying here.....

Hugs,
Jenn
Jenn :D

Offline Texas Girl.

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2006, 09:28:43 AM »
Thank you SO much for taking the time to reply, and ESPECIALLY for praying for us.  This has truly been terrifying, but we are so thankful that it wasn't a stroke, like I first assumed it was, NOR Multiple Sclerosis, since these two things have similar symptoms.
He is much better today as far as the disorientation/confusion; mentally, I feel like he's pretty much back to normal, but he does keep having quite a few episodes of slurred speech/losing his balance/loss of muscle control....he couldn't sign his name at the doctor's office today, for example.  I would guess he has an 'episode' probably at least once every 10 minutes.  We saw an Internal Medicine doctor this morning and are going to follow up with at least one more neurologist for a second opinion, and possibly search out docs in large cities who may have more experience with this! 
Please continue to pray for a FULL recovery (and FAST) and I appreciate any stories or advice anyone can give me!

Offline Texas Girl.

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2006, 09:34:31 AM »
Any suggestions about websites or other threads dealing with natural healing, viruses, etc that would be helpful?  I'm feeding him handfuls of vitamins (prenatal with spirulina, that's all I had!) and Omega 3.  Any more suggestions?

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2006, 04:39:36 PM »
I've done a quick study. If your husband's encephalitis is viral, it is likely caused by a herpes simplex virus (I or II) that can be triggered by various things (immunizations as one possibility) in immune compromized individuals.

Herpes is a virus and viruses are anaerobic. They exist, survive and proliferate with little or no oxygen present. The herpes virus lacks the genetic material for reproduction and must inhabit a cell and rob the cell of its missing genetic material to multiply. They multiply by attaching themselves to DNA or RNA of normal cells forcing the cell to produce more of the virus. They remain latent until our defenses are down when they travel from cell to cell replicating wildly causing a herpes outbreak.

The herpes virus cannot exist in an elevated oxygen environment. Dr. Otto Warburg won the Nobel Prize for proving that viruses cannot proliferate, cannot exist in the presence of sufficient oxygen. This is a now an accepted fact. There has been many, many studies showing the destruction of viruses by the introduction of increased oxygenation whether it is in the form of ozone, hydrogen peroxide, hyperbaric oxygen, etc.

Because of this, I would use a twice daily (at least) topical application of Dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO). Use it on an area of skin that is not thin and/or sensitive (like the neck or inside of the arm would be).

DMSO is a solvent that is a by-product of turning trees into paper. It is plant based and one of its properties is that it penetrates the skin within seconds and floods the cells with life-giving oxygen, enabling them to repair themselves.

http://neveranoutbreak.com/dmso.php
Once inside the cell the herpes virus is protected by the protein coating of the cell making most antiviral drugs ineffective against the herpes virus. (Of course, big pharmaceutical companies don't want you to know that.) DMSO contains oxygen. Viruses cannot exist in an elevated oxygen (or alkaline) environment. Applied properly DMSO enters the cell and kills the herpes virus. This is an indisputable fact.

The above quote is in relation to a more common presentation of HSV. However, the principle is the same. DMSO will help the immune system work more efficiently in an oxygen rich environment. And, as quoted above, viruses cannot live in elevated oxygen.

I do not know that lots of supplements would be helpful at this point as you may want to give the body a rest from lots of digestion in order to more efficiently fight the virus. Let your husbands appetite (or lack of it) be your guide. I would suggest rich vegetable broths and herbal teas. Burdock root, echinacea, ginger, goldenseal, pau d-arco & catnip are a few immune boosting herbs that come to mind.

However, IMO the DMSO would be MOST beneficial as it will address the virus on the cellular level. I use it on my toddler and have not had any ill effects to report, so I don't believe it will do him harm.

DMSO has been used in the pharmaceutical industry by compounding pharmacists for over 30 years. It is used to help carry other drugs to the blood stream by topical application. However, by itself, it has not been approved by the FDA for the use I have described here.

Prayers are going up. Let us know how he does.
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline Texas Girl.

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2006, 05:06:17 PM »
WOW!  Thank you so much for all the info!!!  Where do you get DMSO?  AMAZING.  I have never heard of that.  Is it a liquid, I guess?  Do you just rub it on with a cotton ball?  And where do I put it?  I might have to do it while he's asleep since he's not much into trying things not prescribed by a doctor!  ;)  (But, since I'm becoming less and less a fan of traditional medicine & pharmaceutical companies....I'm willing to try it!)  THANKS most of all for the prayers.  Anybody who reads this, PLEASE pray!  2 little girls need their daddy!

Wow...I am SO thankful to have all of you to talk to!  You all don't know what a blessing you have been for me....and a sanity saver!

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2006, 07:17:40 PM »
Whatever brand of DMSO you use, it should NOT be the kind you get from the hardware store. That's for industrial use.

I purchase mine from the local health food store. I use Nature's Gift brand that comes in a solution of 90% DMSO to 10% distilled water, 3 fl oz for $12.49. You can purchase this in a regular bottle or in a container with a roll-on applicator.

BTW, I second the advice to call every man you know that can pray for your husband. Also, do not hesitate to get him seen by a medical professional should you see any change for the worse. The things I mentioned should be used WITH whatever your doctor prescribes -- not instead of them.

I'm the first one to tell you it's much easier to avoid sickness and treat illness and injuries with natural means . . . BUT when it comes to emergency situations (which this is IMO) I won't hesitate to use ALL of the help at my disposal. This INCLUDES medical doctors.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 07:22:33 PM by SC »
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2006, 07:31:52 PM »
http://www.dmso.org/articles/information/muir.htm
Here is a very informative site on DMSO.  We continue to pray for you.

Offline Texas Girl.

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2006, 08:53:48 PM »
We are MOST DEFINITELY seeing medical doctors!  Two ER trips, one neurologist, today an Internist, who he'll be seeing once a week, and who is referring us to a SECOND neurologist, for a second opinion, and possibly a third, if I can find one in Dallas or Houston that I think we need to see ~ I am absolutely with you, 100%, when it comes to using whatever I can get my hands on that might help, IN ADDITION TO doctors and their prescriptions, and I have prayed about and feel really good about the MD's chosen to handle this case!  I guess my comment about traditional medicine wasn't worded quite right.  I just don't think they are, well, GOD, and therefore they can't possibly have ALL the answers, and medicine truly is sometimes a guessing game, even for our highly-educated medical professionals.  The fact is that NO one cares about your health like YOU do, and there is no doctor alive who values my husband as much as I do, who will go to whatever lengths I would go to for him, so I have to be his most aggressive, vocal, advocate, and research all that I can and do whatever I can to help improve his condition.  That's why I even came to WTM about this in the first place!  I hope that clears up what I meant to say!    :-\ ;) 

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2006, 09:42:15 PM »
Praying for your DH's recovery. I STRONGLY recommend SUPER STRENGTH Oreganol from North American Herb & Spice. This is ess. oregano oil mixed w/olive oil. It comes in liquid & capsules. You can get it at the health food store but this time of year they tend to run out so you might want to call around to find out who local to you has it in stock. I'm sure right now you don't want to run all over town looking for things. Make sure you get super strength- it is 3x's stronger than the regular strength. Oreganal is anti-viral, anti-bacterial, & anti-fungal so it gets to the root of whatever is causing an illness.  This stuff is expensive but potent.  The dose my DH takes for walking pneumonia is 6-10 drops under the tongue 5-6x's a day. If it were my husband w/encephalitis I would have him take a dose every hour until I saw major improvement, then I would start tapering down. I would keep him on 3 doses a day for at least a month after he seemed to be recovered, then 2x's a day for a week, then once a day for a week. This is just what I would do. There are other brands of oregano that are cheaper but oregano is frequently miss identified &/or sub. w/cheaper oils that can be toxic. NAH&S oregano isn't toxic & has the medical research to back it up. The web site is: www.p-73.com. Check out books by Dr. Cass Ingram to find out more ways to use oreganol. We use a dose of 24 drops (4 caps) if taking it as caps but under the tongue is more effective & costs less because when the oil is taken under the tongue & absorbed through the mouth into the bloodsteam less is needed but the oil is strong tasting. If you HAVE to use caps, one way to cut the costs a little is to fill empty gelatin caps yourself. I think the "00" size holds 24 drops but if you do this you have to fill them before taking them. The oil will stay in the caps for a while, but will seep through eventually. I know this is a lot of info but I figure right now you don't want to have to do a bunch of research. I hope this helps & I add my vote to getting as many as you can to PRAY. Do what you can & let God do the rest. Miracles is what he does best. HTH~herbalmom

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2006, 04:13:50 AM »
bumb to keep people praying

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2006, 04:20:44 AM »
Praying here too...
Please keep us posted.
~MS
"No one stands as tall as a Christian on his knees."
Get $5 off your first iHerb.com order: Code ISA141

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2006, 05:28:20 AM »
bumb to keep people praying

bumping again- please pray

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2006, 02:25:43 PM »
Been out of town... just wanted to add that your instinctive action of giving him Omega oils is a very good one, especially in regards to recovery. The Omega oils, 3,6,9 do so much in building/healing neurological pathways, sheesh - everything. They will keep down inflammation as well, and help the body defend itself. Yes, I'd continue to give him heavy doses of the Omega oils.

Thanks for updating us!

Rebekah

Offline Texas Girl.

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2006, 02:46:21 PM »
THanks Rebekah.  I'd like to hear your dad's story if you have the time.  Today was not a good day so I'm a little discouraged.  My normally-fit-and-athletic husband fell down today, and ALMOST fell down the stairs, so I've forbidden him to shower or go upstairs at ALL without me right there.  It is very difficult to see him so incapacitated.  His speech has been slurred all day.  Plus he's pretty miserable, being camped out on the couch all day.  I think the bad day may be d/t overdoing it yesterday; being the 'man' that he is, he felt a little bit normal yesterday and did too much and had too many visitors, so we're paying for it today.  I talked to his neurologist for a long time on the phone, and he seems to feel like this 'bad day' might be normal....we may have good days & bad days, and he's not worried until there's a consistent downhill trend.  I also talked w/ a chiropractor/nutritionist, who has quite a reputation for helping whatever ails anyone by using nutrition.  Unfortunately he can't see us for an appointment until late January, but he did imply that this encephalitis came about as an improper response to stress (YES...I thought, THAT makes sense!  WE do have some stress around here....but that's another story.....)...and we need to figure out WHY his body allowed something to cross the blood/brain barrier, what has him that stressed out, in other words.  So, quite the roller-coaster of a day.  Please keep praying...we're off to drive around & look at Christmas lights, just for a reason to get hubby out of the house....

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2006, 08:57:39 AM »
Hello Texas Girl,
We continue to pray for you all... It sounds like you're doing a really great job, and that God is leading you in your husband's care and recovery. You asked about my Dad's story; depending on which version you want to hear, it's an odd story:

Version One:

Dad was trapping animals and became infected (they think) by enhaling some fumes of bait urine (I forget the animal). The odd thing is, two other men in the town came down with Encephalitus at the same time. All three were hospitalized. One died, one never quite recovered, and the third was my Dad.

My Dad was unconscious, but not quite in a coma for several weeks. Heavy doses of antibiotics, fluids, etc... and he finally woke up one day and began to recover. He has huge chunks of memory loss from those years. Since that time he has always had trouble remembering certain things - never the Bible though. His attention span is funny - almost like an autistic child. I don't know if he was like this when he was young, or if it is a physical result of the Enchephalitus. He will, at times, completely loose track of what was presently being talked about, and wander off in his own world.

Version Two:
My Dad was the young pastor of a small body of new believers, mostly hippies who had just gotten saved, and some military boys from a local Naval base. God instructed my Dad to teach on a certain subject. This subject was one my Dad also felt unsure about, and inexperienced, so he put it off, waiting until he might be more "qualified" to teach on the subject.

Due to lack of teaching, the Body as a whole ignorantly faltered and committed some act of foolishness in this particular area, that resulted in some falling away. The same week my Dad became ill with Encephalitus and was hospitalized.

He says that while his mind was locked away from the world, God rebuked him for his unbelief and disobedience, and that he knew without doubt that he was being chastised for not obeying immediately.

Two of the young believers (boys under 20 years, I believe) were praying for Pastor Mike and found the passage of Scripture that says to lay hands on the sick and they will be healed. They excitedly went to the hospital and stood over my Dad and prayed for him.

He woke while they were praying and began to recover. This life experience resulted in my Dad really fearing God - and was a significant foundational part of who my Dad became as a Bible teacher and leader of thousands. He fears no one and nothing like he fears God. It's the hard way to learn, but God is faithful.

In my own life, (my husband's too, he would say) sickness has often been tied to instruction. This doesn't mean it is always chastisement, but that it may be. More often, it is instrumental in simply learning something. A few times it has been for God's glory, to demonstrate His healing. Whenever I become severely ill, the first thing I do is fall on my face and listen to God. He is good.

So that is "the story" - both versions.  ;) One of them belongs on 7xsunday.net... but, there you go.

Blessings on you and your family today!

Rebekah

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2006, 12:23:07 PM »
So that is "the story" - both versions.  ;) One of them belongs on 7xsunday.net... but, there you go.
Sounds like the same story to me.   ::)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Texas Girl.

• Adept
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2006, 06:42:37 PM »
Thank you, Rebekah, for that story....wow.  I really had not looked at this illness as God trying to get our attention.  We have (thank you, Lord) never had any severe sickness before....though He HAS gotten our attention in other ways....usually through finances.  (Which...*lightbulb clicking on* it just so happens...are greatly affected when you have expensive ER trips and ICU stays AND your commission-only-salesman hubby is unable to work....hmmmmmmm......!!!)
I just want to share that we had a GREAT day today so I'm feeling really hopeful for recovery.  Much less slurring today, better muscle control.  I'm really feeling some prayers.  Thank you all for praying....for advice....for being my sisters in Christ because I NEEDED y'all! 
I'm feeling the need to go fall on my face and listen to God... :'(

Offline Texas Girl.

• Adept
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2006, 05:14:02 PM »
Its been another good day today ~ very hopeful for a full recovery, though he still slurs half of what he says and can't walk straight for more than a few steps, his mental skills seem to be back in full force!  He's getting REALLY grouchy, as I think any normal man would be, from being cooped up in the house confined to the couch, so he tries to get up and do things in spite of his wife nagging him to SIT DOWN NOW, then ends up falling down.  Its been raining here for days, so poor guy can't even go out in the yard!  Tomorrow he begins 2 doses of steroids daily instead of 3 ~ given to bring down the swelling of his brain ~ so I'm a little nervous about symptoms worsening.  Please continue to pray for a full recovery.

Offline jammy

• Adept
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2006, 05:17:52 AM »
Continuing to pray for your dh's full recovery....

HUGS,
Jenn

Offline Texas Girl.

• Adept
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2006, 07:23:42 PM »
Anybody who reads this, please continue to pray for my husband's full recovery!  THANK YOU!

Offline hsink

• Adept
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2006, 07:33:57 PM »
Praying, praying, praying...
Merry Christmas!

Holly

Offline Texas Girl.

• Adept
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2006, 07:36:42 PM »
THANK YOU.  We have some friends who are very discouraging and are expecting the worst.  Its contagious.  I guess I want instant results.

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2006, 04:43:53 PM »
I just got an email from Texas Girl saying that today was a hard and discouraging day.  Her husband appears to be getting worse, slurring, lack of muscle control, etc.
Please don't forget to pray for her family. 

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2006, 04:48:29 PM »
So sorry to hear, Texas MOM.  Thanks for keeping us updated.  We will pray for you and your hubby!  :-*

Offline jammy

• Adept
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2007, 05:18:26 AM »
Still praying here....what an ordeal.  I hope you are ok with letting others help you right now, remember it is a blessing to those who help as well.

Hugs,
Jenn