Author Topic: Homemade Dishwasher Soap  (Read 102564 times)

Offline mishy

• Master
Homemade Dishwasher Soap
« on: June 14, 2006, 02:53:55 PM »
Have you ladies tried your home made laundry soap in the dishwasher?  I am just about out of Cascade and ready to make up a batch of something home made.  Someone mentioned they used it is dishes.  Is it bubbly?  I wonder if I will end up with a bubble bath in my kitchen if I use it in the dishwasher??   

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
Re: Homemade Dishwasher Soap
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 05:12:39 PM »
hi mishy--i tried my powdered stuff that i made in the dishwasher and it made all the plastic cloudy with some kind of film on it.  and some other things didn't get clean.  i just used about the same amount i normally would use of reg. dish detergent.  i haven't been brave enough to try it again yet.   :-\
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 07:14:57 PM »
Have you ladies tried your home made laundry soap in the dishwasher?  I am just about out of Cascade and ready to make up a batch of something home made.  Someone mentioned they used it is dishes.  Is it bubbly?  I wonder if I will end up with a bubble bath in my kitchen if I use it in the dishwasher??   

It's not very bubbly.  I haven't tried it in the dishwasher, but I've tried it in the sink and it just makes the water cloudy.  I think it should work just fine.  I would; however, recommend that you put some white vinegar in the "Jet Dry" thingy to help cut the soap spots if you have hard water.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline mishy

• Master
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 11:33:21 AM »
I used a couple of teaspoons of baking soda in the detergent drawer and then after the washer emptied out of the first cycle, I opened up the dishwasher and poured in some vinegar.  The dishes came out squeaky clean and even the plastic looked nice.  This works better than the cascade!!  I have only done it once, so as long as things don't change, I am quite happy with the results!! 
 :)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006, 12:48:06 PM »
I used a couple of teaspoons of baking soda in the detergent drawer and then after the washer emptied out of the first cycle, I opened up the dishwasher and poured in some vinegar.  The dishes came out squeaky clean and even the plastic looked nice.  This works better than the cascade!!  I have only done it once, so as long as things don't change, I am quite happy with the results!! 
 :)

Baking soda all alone?  Very interesting. 
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline mishy

• Master
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2006, 01:10:40 PM »
Yea, it was all I had in the house. :)  I didn't want to try the soap flakes since it was said to cloud stuff.  I figured with the heat in the dishwasher, the germs would be killed.  So far, I am happy! :)

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2006, 05:17:31 PM »
Yea, it was all I had in the house. :)  I didn't want to try the soap flakes since it was said to cloud stuff.  I figured with the heat in the dishwasher, the germs would be killed.  So far, I am happy! :)

hey Mishy!  i have been using baking soda and vinegar (in the little spot for the jet dry) for a few days and i'm amazed!  i'm totally pleased, everything comes out great, thanks!!!   ;D
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline mishy

• Master
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2006, 05:49:40 PM »
Yeah!!  Cheap, good dishwasher detergent. :)  I even shared it with my friend who has cancer.  She is going to try it too.  (I read that you aren't supposed to use dishwasher detergent if you have a cancer patient in your house.  We don't have a cancer patient, but good grief!!  If it isn't good for them, i'll betcha a million it isn't good for us either!!)   ;)

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2006, 06:16:15 PM »
have you had any trouble with the dish deterg?  after a few days, i started getting leftover food on my dishes.  used reg. soap today.  may try again with it, just wondering.....

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2006, 06:23:02 PM »
I just got new water pipes.  This is huge for us.  When we moved in we had so little water pressure, it took an hour and a half to wash a load of clothes and to take a shower you had to stand about a foot away from the front of the tub to stay in the spray.  Now, we have real water pressure, so I was actually able to use my dishwasher for the first time since we moved into the house.  I used baking soda for soap and vinegar for jet dry and my dishes came out spotless.  I even washed a skillet with cooked on gravy and it came out clean!  Woohoo.  Cheap, easy and chemical free.   ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline mishy

• Master
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2006, 09:08:11 PM »
fivewittle,
no, I haven't had trouble with the dishes.  I still just use the baking soda.  It works just as well without the vinegar (I do have soft water though).  So I put the vinegar in when I remember.  My dishwasher is a little cruddy, so when it gets stinky, I slop in a little bit of bleach.  I run it every other day and I do not rinse my dishes (the kids are just taught to make sure they get ALL the food off their plates), but there is still stuff to become stinky in our hot humid climate.   :P  I know, some of you might say, "just rinse the dishes", but I stubbornly refuse because if I did that, I might just as well use the rag and wash them all and get rid of the dishwaser....  ::)  lol.  Anyway, the bleach has made a difference in the crud on the door and drain of the dishwasher. 
ALL that to say, sometime there are some food particles that get sprayed on the dishes, so I would attribute that to someone didn't clean off their plate very good (my 4 or 5 yr olds load the dish washer so I don't always see everything that goes in).  I wouldn't attribute it to not using "proper" dishwasher detergent because I had the same problem when I DID use the detergent.  My dishes are cleaner now.  Scum/cloudy free too.  yea! 

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2006, 04:47:20 AM »
know, some of you might say, "just rinse the dishes", but I stubbornly refuse because if I did that, I might just as well use the rag and wash them all and get rid of the dishwaser....

I agree.  I never understood why anyone would want to wash the dishes twice.  ;)   
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline refreshed

• Adept
    • Haven Baptist Fellowship
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2006, 01:27:19 PM »
Has anyone had trouble with baking soda coating all your dishes with a cloudy film?  I ran this in my dishwasher last night and it left a really yucky film on everything.   :(  I have really hard water, though.  Could this be the problem?
Check out our family's and church website:
www.havenbaptistfellowship.com

For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. (Rom 6:23)

Offline mishy

• Master
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2006, 02:34:51 PM »
Perhaps you need to make sure you add vinegar.  Some have put it in the get dry thingy, or you can just slosh it in there during the longest wash or during one of the rinses. I would choose the time that is the longest part in your cycle so the vinegar gets sloshed around a lot.
I also don't fill up the detergent pouch with the baking soda.  But I don't think a lot would cloud it up.   
I hope it works for you!!!  I love it. :)

Offline SHERRI REEL

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2006, 03:27:02 PM »
I HAVE VERY HARD WATER AND LATELY HAVE USED 1 PART BAKING SODA, 1 PART BORAX IN MY DISHWASHER AND IT WORKS GREAT AS THE BORAX IS A WATER SOFTENER.
SHERRI
Just learn'n but pioneer at heart.
Sherri

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2006, 06:02:00 PM »
Has anyone had trouble with baking soda coating all your dishes with a cloudy film?  I ran this in my dishwasher last night and it left a really yucky film on everything.   :(  I have really hard water, though.  Could this be the problem?

Try white vinegar in your jet dry dispenser.  Should do the trick.
  My favorite herb book!!

Honey Bee

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2006, 08:07:16 AM »
I love using baking soda for dishwasher detergent!  It works great ;D

Offline refreshed

• Adept
    • Haven Baptist Fellowship
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2006, 08:19:19 AM »
Sorry!  I forgot to say that I did use vinegar in the jet dry dispenser.  I ran them again with regular Cascade and it still didn't take the film off.  I will try it with the borax.  Maybe that will do the trick.  Thanks!
Check out our family's and church website:
www.havenbaptistfellowship.com

For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. (Rom 6:23)

Offline KatieMac

• Master
  • Alice Magdalene
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2006, 05:18:12 PM »
I just wanted to say I've been using this too...my method has been to fill both sections with baking soda and then just add a couple of squirts of regular dish detergent, and I fill the rinse dispenser with white vinegar. It has been working wonderfully for me. I've been telling everyone about it! I got 12 pounds of baking soda at Sam's Club and I have just been loving using my dishwasher...I don't cringe anymore when I think about all the money I am throwing away because I'm not anymore!

1N1is6

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2006, 01:59:22 AM »
I have a dishwasher of the 11 r. old boy design.  ;)  So, what would you recomend we use? I tried using just the vinegar/water spray with the baking soda last night and they came out really clean, but then my concern is the germs. We had been using a bleach/water spray to combat this. Isn't vinegar supposed to be antibacterial? I know ac vinegar is. Any thoughts?

~Heidi

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2006, 05:05:40 AM »
I have a dishwasher of the 11 r. old boy design.  ;)  So, what would you recomend we use? I tried using just the vinegar/water spray with the baking soda last night and they came out really clean, but then my concern is the germs. We had been using a bleach/water spray to combat this. Isn't vinegar supposed to be antibacterial? I know ac vinegar is. Any thoughts?

~Heidi

Check the homemade dish soap thread.

http://welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,2021.0.html
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline mommyoftwins

• Adept
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2006, 02:30:20 PM »
I think I will try the baking soda/vinegar tonight! Do you think an essential oil or something else could be added for fragrance? I just like to smell something nice coming out with the steam.

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2006, 07:17:18 PM »
I have tried baking soda and vinegar in my dishwasher and my dishes came out with a foggy film all over them.  Has anyone had this problem and if so what did you do?
Proverbs 31:26
"She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness."

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2006, 07:40:21 PM »
I have tried baking soda and vinegar in my dishwasher and my dishes came out with a foggy film all over them.  Has anyone had this problem and if so what did you do?

I had this problem as well.  It worked well the very first time, but every time after that it fogged up the glasses.  I haven't found a solution.  :-\
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline queentea

• Adept
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2006, 01:14:52 PM »
I have had the same problem.  I have gone to the above mentioned 1/2 baking soda, 1/2 borax, and vineager in the jet dry thingy.  It seems to be helping.  I also use regular dishwasher detergent once or twice a week.  When I can get all the film off my stuff I will go back to the baking soda, borax only and see if it starts to film up again.  If it does, I'll keep using the regular detergent occasionally.  I'll still be saving money.

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2006, 01:36:11 PM »
I re-ran the rinse cycle with plain vigegar, and that helped, but I've had this problem too. ???
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2006, 01:44:46 PM »
Has anyone tried the homemade laundry detergent in the dishwasher yet?  It's supposed to work just as well, but for some reason I haven't tried it yet.  Maybe I'll have my daughter try it on her dishwasher night this week.  (she only gets one ;) )
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline annafogg1

• Adept
  • Our 'Babies', Summer and Sarah Rose
    • Anna Fogg
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2006, 04:31:27 PM »
DON'T DO IT,HB! :o
I put the pot in the dishwasher that I made the laundry soap in the film on my dishes was a nightmare....took an hour to get it all off.  Must be the Ivory? I used lavender Ivory btw, and what a nice soft fragrance.  My girls say it smells like a soft new baby.
~anna in md of Little Bird Quilts
I am: The Righteousness Of Christ & the Wife of 1 Hunky Carpenter, Mom of 7, Jade-20, Zach-18, Noah-16, Nadia-13, Eliza-Jane-10, Summer-8 & Sarah Rose-7~
Folk Artist, Quilt Instructor/Designer, Taxi Driver, Reader of Great Books, Chef of Mega-Sized Meals, CottageGardener, Read-Alouder, Hair Doer

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2006, 06:05:48 PM »
DON'T DO IT,HB! :o
I put the pot in the dishwasher that I made the laundry soap in the film on my dishes was a nightmare....took an hour to get it all off.  Must be the Ivory? I used lavender Ivory btw, and what a nice soft fragrance.  My girls say it smells like a soft new baby.
~anna in md of Little Bird Quilts

hmmmmmm :-\
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Pastorswife2B

• Adept
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2006, 11:41:28 AM »
Ok, so I just a got a dishwasher (YAHOOO!!!) and I want to try the baking soda and borax recipe.  I have lots of baking soda from sam's.. but where does everybody go for their Borax?  Is this something that Wal-Mart or such stores carry??

Thanks
-Heather