Author Topic: Homemade Dishwasher Soap  (Read 107422 times)

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
Re: Homemade Dishwasher Soap
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2006, 12:01:49 PM »
i get it at walmart for about $3 a box.  i use it in laundry in my towels to take away the stinky smell.  plan on making the dish soap soon with it though. 
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline Pastorswife2B

• Adept
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2006, 03:37:29 PM »
Thank you for the info!  Ok so you say to use it soon.. how soon, a week a month (so I know how big of a box to get)?

thanks
-Heather

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2006, 03:41:57 PM »
Thank you for the info!  Ok so you say to use it soon.. how soon, a week a month (so I know how big of a box to get)?

thanks
-Heather

sorry, i meant i planned on making it soon!  didn't mean you had to use it up in a hurry.  i don't really know as i haven't made it for myself yet.  ::)   but i imagine it would last a pretty long time.  what are you going to mix it with?  i forget what the other thing i was going to mix it with was.  seems like it was simple.  was it baking soda?  i've been mixing baking soda with my reg. soap to stretch it out.  that works good too. 
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline Pastorswife2B

• Adept
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2006, 08:18:35 AM »
hehe sorry about the misque   ;).  When my current box runs out I'm planning on trying the borax with baking soda and white vinigar for the rinse to see if that will work as well as the store baught stuff.

-Heather

Offline Shyvus

• Learning
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2006, 05:39:19 AM »
I have soft water so for my dishwasher I use baking soda in the pre-wash cup and Walmart's Dishwasher detergent in the wash cup.  Works great every time!

Salihah

« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2006, 07:40:52 AM »
I've always used baking soda and vinegar in the dishwasher, it works great!

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2006, 09:59:04 AM »
I just found this recipe recently at
www.thenewhomemaker.com/dishwasherpowder

It is good as a scouring powder also. In addition to that, I use it in my sink with dishes that I wash by hand. In looking back over the ingredients, I figure between the salt and the baking soda, I may have been getting a nice heavy metal detox at the same time!

Note: My water is quite hard out of the tap. I use 3 or 4 tablespoons of this to a sink full of dishwater with a squirt of my homemade liquid soap. I get 2 gallons of liquid soap from one grated bar of bath soap.

The formula
Here, after much experimenting, is the formula for dishwashing powder.

In a plastic container with a firmly fitting lid, mix:
    1 cup borax (20-Mule-Team Borax, available in any supermarket)
    1 cup baking soda
    1/4 cup salt
    1/4 cup citric acid (available in brewing stores among other places--if you haven't tracked it down yet but must try this formula, use two packets of Lemonade-Flavored Kool-Aid, ONLY lemon, or you'll dye your dishwasher! and ONLY unsweetened Kool-Aid!)
    30 drops citrus essential oil--lemon, grapefruit, orange, tangerine, or a mixture

Put all of it in the container, shake it up.

To use, put a tablespoon or so into each cup of your dishwasher. I've found I no longer have to use the scrubbing cycle but can get by fine with the short cycle, thus saving even more money. On average, it looks like this is about 8 cents a load compared with Cascade at 22 cents a load. Compare it with EcoVer or Seventh Generation and it's a steal. I have also started putting some of this in a shaker canister--the one I have we got at a restaurant supply, it's aluminum and was made for popcorn salt. I use it to clean my sink and anything else that I'd normally use Bon Ami on. Works great, and the essential oil makes it smell fantastic.

I double the recipe to make a good sized container. Also, I only use 15 drops of lemon essential oil per recipe and that seems to work very well for me.
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline Camy

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2006, 01:57:12 AM »
I saw this recipe posted on another discussion board.  Haven't tried it yet.  It's supposed to work as well as the natural dishwasher soaps found in stores.  I have hard water and add a tablespoon or so of salt to my dishwasher soap compartment along w/ my current Sam's Club powder.  I'll probably do this w/ the natural alternative as well.  I think I'll add a drop (1 drop only) of dish detergent for a cleaning boost.  My water is EXTREMELY hard. 
Here's the copied-and-pasted recipe from http://www.thenewhomemaker.com/node/49371

Homemade Automatic Dishwasher Powder

1 cup baking soda
1/4 cup salt
1/4 cup citric acid (available in brewing stores among other places--if you haven't tracked it down yet but must try this formula, use two packets of Lemonade-Flavored Kool-Aid, ONLY lemon, or you'll dye your dishwasher! and ONLY unsweetened Kool-Aid!)
30 drops citrus essential oil--lemon, grapefruit, orange, tangerine, or a mixture
To use, put a tablespoon or so into each cup of your dishwasher. I've found I no longer have to use the scrubbing cycle but can get by fine with the short cycle, thus saving even more money.

Offline Pastorswife2B

• Adept
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2006, 03:53:49 PM »
Ok I just wanted to report that at first I was using the 1/2 borax 1/2 baking soda recipe but it was leaving a nasty film on the dishes.  So I went to the recipe provided by SC and it cleans my dishes wonderfully without any film and even cleans the film off!  So I recomend this recipe.  My one issue is finding the acid!  Anyone have some ideas? right now I'm just using the lemonade.

-Heather

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2006, 04:18:06 PM »
Ok I just wanted to report that at first I was using the 1/2 borax 1/2 baking soda recipe but it was leaving a nasty film on the dishes.  So I went to the recipe provided by SC and it cleans my dishes wonderfully without any film and even cleans the film off!  So I recomend this recipe.  My one issue is finding the acid!  Anyone have some ideas? right now I'm just using the lemonade.

-Heather

I get citric acid at the health food store. NOW brand is $2.?? for 2 oz. which if I remember correctly is 1/2 cup. It probably can be gotten in larger quantities cheaper per oz. but it would be an easy way to get enough to try the recipe. I know I'm going to try it just as soon as I can. HTH~herbalmom

Offline ~CKMom~

• Adept
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2006, 03:52:29 AM »
We live in the country and have hard water even with a softener.  When I tried the baking soda/vinegar thing, it worked fine for about 4 times, then after that things came out with a horrible film no matter how I played around with amounts of things.   I gave up and went back to Cascade - cheaper detergents haven't worked as well here.  I bet this recipe would work because of the salt and citric acid, and am eager to try.  I have a couple of questions, though.  I have LemiShine from Walmart, which says it is made from real fruit acids and natural citrus oils.  Does anyone have any guesses as to whether this could replace the citric acid and/or citrus essential oils?
Thanks!

Offline fisherovi5

• Learning
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2006, 10:42:00 AM »
  My one issue is finding the acid!  Anyone have some ideas?

I found citric acid at our local Indian Bazar (a shop with all kinds of international food - stuff).
About a pound for $1.99.  Do you have one near you?

Offline refreshed

• Adept
    • Haven Baptist Fellowship
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2006, 10:53:24 AM »
I tried this recipe the other night and it worked great!  I was so excited because I had tried the baking soda/vinegar thing another time and it left a really yucky film.  I tried the recipe listed above, but had to modify it because I didn't have any citric acid or lemonade.  I used lemon juice concentrate instead and still put vinegar in the jet dry dispenser.  It was great!  I also didn't use the essential oils because I didn't have any, but the lemon juice has lemon oil in it.  I just put the powdered stuff in the cup with the lid and put the lemon juice in the open cup.  It has worked wonderfully so far and I'm excited about the money I'll save!  Thanks so much for this recipe!
Check out our family's and church website:
www.havenbaptistfellowship.com

For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. (Rom 6:23)

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2006, 11:04:48 AM »
does anyone know the purpose of the essential oil?  i think i am going to leave it out, just because i don't think i will smell it afterward anyway, and it would just cost more.  maybe it is to deoderize the dishwasher?  just wondering........

Offline Mrs. Visionary

• Adept
    • PureBulk, Inc.
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2006, 01:07:10 PM »
My husband sells citric acid on ebay. His website is www.1kg.us
HMc

Offline bizymum

• Adept
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2006, 02:39:48 PM »
WOW!  I was going to buy new dishwasher detergent this week when I was out shopping, but at the last minute I put it back and decided to check out this site to see if I could find something that would work!!   :D
For those of you who have found citric acid at the store, where in the store do you find it?  I wouldn't even know where to look! 
I'm really excited to try this out!  I had tried baking soda and borax before and it left a film on everything so I went back to using store bought soap, but I would really like to use something more natural. 

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2006, 05:13:46 PM »
My question counts as obscure:

We have a septic system (with 2 tanks) And were advised by the installer not to use powdered dishwasher deterg because "the non-clumping agents in the powder varieties don't settle out in the tanks & get into the drain field.  These will plug the drain field."

So, I'm sure about baking soda but how do I find out if Borax has these agents?  Nothing is listed as an 'ingredient' on the box that I could find.  Any guesses?

Sarah K
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2006, 05:47:25 PM »

We have a septic system (with 2 tanks) And were advised by the installer not to use powdered dishwasher deterg because "the non-clumping agents in the powder varieties don't settle out in the tanks & get into the drain field.  These will plug the drain field."

So, I'm sure about baking soda but how do I find out if Borax has these agents?  Nothing is listed as an 'ingredient' on the box that I could find.  Any guesses?

Sarah K
Borax, also called sodium borate, or sodium tetraborate, or disodium tetraborate, is an important boron compound, a mineral, and a salt of boric acid...from Wikipedia
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Kari

• Adept
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2006, 07:10:56 PM »
I find citric acid in the pharmacy section (on the shelf)--but it the most expensive way to buy it.  But it is much cheaper from New England Cheesemaking Supply Company (I use it to make mozzarella).  Kari
Proverbs 23:26   My son, give me thine heart, and let thine eyes observe my ways.

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2006, 05:34:35 AM »

Sarah K
Borax, also called sodium borate, or sodium tetraborate, or disodium tetraborate, is an important boron compound, a mineral, and a salt of boric acid...from Wikipedia

Great - & I found this from Dial Corp.:

20 Mule Team® Borax is made of 100% Borax, a naturally occurring mineral composed of sodium, boron, oxygen and water. 20 Mule Team® Borax is not harmful to washing machines, plumbing or septic tanks and does not contain phosphates or chlorine.

Sarah K
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2006, 12:12:18 PM »
does anyone know the purpose of the essential oil?  i think i am going to leave it out, just because i don't think i will smell it afterward anyway, and it would just cost more.  maybe it is to deoderize the dishwasher?  just wondering........

Ess. oils esp. citrus oils tend to be degreasers. You may be able to leave it out depending on how greasy your dishes tend to be. The amount per load works out to be about 2 drops; that doesn't sound like a lot but it might make a difference. If you try it let us know how it works. HTH~herbalmom

Offline marksgirl

• Adept
    • My Life As I Know It
« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2006, 09:51:56 PM »
I'm looking forward to trying this when my current supply is gone.  I found this tidbit on wikipedia:
Water softening

Citric acid's ability to chelate metals makes it useful in soaps and laundry detergents. By chelating the metals in hard water, it lets these cleaners produce foam and work better without need for water softening. Similarly, citric acid is used to regenerate the ion exchange materials used in water softeners by stripping off the accumulated metal ions as citrate complexes.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2006, 03:46:31 PM by marksgirl »

Offline murfette

• Adept
« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2006, 03:23:09 AM »
I use an additive for my dishwasher that has proven amazing!  It's called Lemi-Shine and it makes my glasses sparkly clear and everything very clean even with my hard water.  Now the ingredients are "real fruit acids, natural citrus oils, fragrance".  So would this be considered a citric acid product to use in the recipe?  Has anyone tried this in the recipe? It says it's all natural, safe for septic systems, and has no phosphates.  I have only been able to find it at Walmart.  It's about $3.50 for 15.5 oz.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2006, 06:31:56 AM »
I'm looking forward to trying this when my current supply is gone.  I found this tidbit on [ur=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citric_acidl]wikipedia[/url]:[/color]
Water softening

Citric acid's ability to chelate metals makes it useful in soaps and laundry detergents. By chelating the metals in hard water, it lets these cleaners produce foam and work better without need for water softening. Similarly, citric acid is used to regenerate the ion exchange materials used in water softeners by stripping off the accumulated metal ions as citrate complexes.
This is interesting.  Citric acid costs more than baking soda.  I wonder if you could just half and half it or maybe 2 parts of baking soda to one part citric acid?  How would this compare in cost to the premade stuff you buy at Walmart? 
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline juanitamwilliams

• Learning
« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2007, 09:54:58 AM »
Sorry!  I forgot to say that I did use vinegar in the jet dry dispenser.  I ran them again with regular Cascade and it still didn't take the film off.  I will try it with the borax.  Maybe that will do the trick.  Thanks!

I don't know if anyone has posted about this product  or not.  We have calcium in our water here.  I had a lot of white build up on our dishes and glasses and nothing worked.  I tried vinegar in the rinse, no help. I would have to scrub them with a brillo pad to clean them!  Then I found a product called Lemi Shine at Wal Mart.  It is all natural, citrus based.  It works great!  I have been using regular detergent in the little "pre-wash" cup and Lemi Shine in the main cup with the lid and Jet Dry in the dispenser.  All my dishes and glasses are crystal clear.  After reading about the baking soda, I am going to replace the regular detergent with baking soda and the Jet Dry with vinegar.  Lemi-Shine is great!  You can also look them up on the internet at www.lemishine.com  It is about 3.25 for 15.5 oz at Wal Mart.  A little pricy, but worth it to me.  I love my dishwasher!  Hope this helps!

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2007, 06:06:45 PM »
I saw this recipe posted on another discussion board.  Haven't tried it yet.  It's supposed to work as well as the natural dishwasher soaps found in stores.  I have hard water and add a tablespoon or so of salt to my dishwasher soap compartment along w/ my current Sam's Club powder.  I'll probably do this w/ the natural alternative as well.  I think I'll add a drop (1 drop only) of dish detergent for a cleaning boost.  My water is EXTREMELY hard. 
Here's the copied-and-pasted recipe from http://www.thenewhomemaker.com/node/49371

1 cup baking soda
1/4 cup salt
To use, put a tablespoon or so into each cup of your dishwasher. I've found I no longer have to use the scrubbing cycle but can get by fine with the short cycle, thus saving even more money.

i'm wondering what results others are getting with this?  the kool aid made it really lumpy and sticky.  i can live with that, but nowmy dishes are not as clean as usual and have dinginess and a white film.  i was having better results with reg. cheap (dollar tree) dish soap mixed with 1/2 baking soda.  i wasn't using any rinse agent or vinegar.  what do you all think?  any others trying it?

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2007, 06:33:06 PM »
yeah has anyone figured out the price difference between this and the cheap walmart dishwasher stuff...it doesn't seem that expensive to me...but i really can't remember how much it cost and they never say how many "loads" it does...natural is important to me...but i'm also trying to cut costs right now..any ideas???

Offline cbrownell

• Adept
« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2007, 07:01:27 PM »
Did you girls know, some people run the dishwasher wthout anything at all??  they claim it works (think I read it from Flylady also)  esp for china plates you're not supposed to use soap.  The temp of the water is killing your germs, not the soap anyway.    the film on glasses can sometimes come from overloading or too much soap.   

Also, many silverware companies recommend NO lemon scent or lemon oil for the silverware.  It can cause rust.  I don't know if that would include the essential oils, but the say don't use lemon scent Cascade, for example.

Also, I read that powder is better for your dishwasher, the gel can kill the machine faster.

Offline Pastorswife2B

• Adept
« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2007, 07:23:37 PM »
I'm using the recipe and it seems to be working for me just fine.  I'm not getting build up (although I am using some viniger/rinsaid).  I haven't figured out exactly how much it costs..  I quadrupled the original recipe and it equals more than a BIG container of cascade.  the borax and soda are so cheep.. and so is the salt, the most expensive part is the acid which I'm using the kool aid so I can't imagine it would be more expensive JMO

Offline queentea

• Adept
« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2007, 03:23:01 AM »

1 cup baking soda
1/4 cup salt

i'm wondering what results others are getting with this?  the kool aid made it really lumpy and sticky.  i can live with that, but nowmy dishes are not as clean as usual and have dinginess and a white film.  i was having better results with reg. cheap (dollar tree) dish soap mixed with 1/2 baking soda.  i wasn't using any rinse agent or vinegar.  what do you all think?  any others trying it?

I am on my second batch and I think it is working great.  I use the citric acid, not the kool aid. and I do put the vinegar in the jet dry thingy.  No more film like when I tried the bs and borax alone.  I am very please with it.  I do have to give it a shake to break up the chunks a bit, but it is great.  I also only use a heaping TBS in each container.  Maybe you are using too much???