Author Topic: MSG Monosodium glutamate  (Read 45903 times)

Offline seeker

• Adept
MSG Monosodium glutamate
« on: September 15, 2006, 05:08:59 AM »
So true, Joyfully His. Often MSG is listed under another name in the ingredients. My husband found an informative article about MSG that says this:

MSG in Hiding

MSG is often combined with other substances and renamed.  If you suspect that you are sensitive to MSG, print out this list, take it with you to the grocery store and check the labels of every food you buy.

These ALWAYS contain MSG   These very OFTEN contain MSG
Autolyzed yeast                                 Barley Malt
Calcium caseinate                          Bouillon
Gelatin                                        Broth
Glutamate                                        Carrageenan
Glutamic acid                                 Enzyme-modified substances
Hydrolyzed protein                          Flavoring
Monopotassium glutamate            Flavors
Monosodium glutamate                   Malt Extract
Sodium caseinate                          Malt flavoring
Textured protein                          Maltodextrin
Yeast extract                                 Natural flavor/flavorings
Yeast food                                 Natural pork/beef/chicken flavoring
Yeast Nutrient                                 Pectin
                                                Protein-fortified substances
                                                Seasonings
                                                Soy protein
                                                Soy protein isolate or concentrate
                                                Soy sauce
                                                Soy sauce extract
                                                Stock
                                                Vegetable gum
                                                Whey protein
                                                Whey protein isolate or concentrate

To read the entire article go to:
http://www.livingwithout.com/features/feature-MSG.html
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 07:18:50 AM by seeker »

Offline flowerchild

• Learning
    • The Dandelion Path
Re: MSG Monosodium glutamate
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 12:21:42 PM »
I'm sure most of us have heard about the dangers of MSG in food. I've been trying to avoid it for that reason. I had no idea how many names it's called!  :o Anyway, here is a site that I found today that was really informative. It gives a lot of information as to the harm of MSG too.

http://www.truthinlabeling.org/hiddensources.html
www.dandelionpath.com - Blog about health, green living, parenting and living life well.

PMESguy

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 03:21:55 PM »
Very important link right there. Isn't it amazing how unpure and tainted the "food" supply is? Makes you want to just go live out in the woods.....forever.

The founder of that website is featured in the movie "Sweet Remedy." It's kind of an interview style documentary that is the follow up film to the movie "Sweet Mysery." Both movies are made by a woman who's health was virtually distroyed by processed food and artificial sweetners. They are both excellent films and I HIGHLY recommend them. http://www.soundandfuryproductions.com/

Offline makingchanges

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 02:05:31 PM »
I asked my NP DR. if I was allergic to MSG and he replied that everyone is allergic to MSG. He said it messes with our neurotransmitters and is terrible for our brains. He couldn't emphasis enough to stay away from it.

Offline oneblessedwoman

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 03:24:59 PM »
I am amazed that they keep trying to find new names for it, so they can keep using it without the public knowing it.   >:(  It can really be a full time job to try to keep toxins out of our food.  You would think the FDA would be good for more that just the drugs part.

Offline Isaacsmama

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 05:50:18 AM »
has anyone watched this?  Not that we need more evidence to stay away from this junk
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2007/08/28/dangers-of-msg.aspx

Offline Wing

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 11:09:55 AM »
I've read that you can add "spices" to that list of MSG in hiding.

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007, 12:41:24 PM »
Here's an article in the WTM article section on MSG: http://www.welltellme.com/articles/natural-health/toxins/monosodium-glutamate
Honey Sunny in complete exasperation:
"JOE!!! You DOUGHNUT COCONUT COCONUT COCONUT!!!"

Offline Isaacsmama

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007, 02:23:18 PM »
I didnt even know there was an articles section of WTM.  Dont I feel dumb now/  ::)

Offline makingchanges

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2007, 03:22:06 PM »
I just read the article on Mercola on "Eye Damage with MSG" Wow. I was just diagnosed with glaucoma. The Dr. said I was way to young. I wondered if it was caused from my wreck in June. The wreck knocked me out for 30 mins. But now I wonder was it MSG? I used to eat lots of junk food and lots of Diet Cokes. Anyone heard to this? Here's the link to the article from above.

http://www.mercola.com/2002/nov/9/msg.htm

Offline Isaacsmama

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2007, 01:32:31 AM »
Ive been reading up on MSG now, scary stuff, it is in everything!  We should go live in the woods somewhere and eat herbs and berries.  :D
but I am wondering about the ingredients that have MSG from the list, it says gelatin.  Does this include regular gelatin.  I'm wondering because I bought a bag of gelatin(beef, unflavored)  from Azurestandard recently.

I think I just got MSG poisoning, I ate local fast Thai food the other day and they said it didn't have MSG, but the headache and diarrhea that followed eating makes me think otherwise.  :-\

Offline makingchanges

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2007, 07:57:09 AM »
I have been researching MSG to see if my glaucoma is result of MSG. None of the articles know which one effect which, like which one comes first the chicken or the egg. Anyway, they do know that if MSG does not cause these problems they make things worse. Here is a list of illness MSG effects of Truth and Labeling website:
http://www.truthinlabeling.org/adversereactions.html

Cardiac

Arrhythmia
Atrial fibrillation
Tachycardia
..Rapid heartbeat
..Palpitations
Slow heartbeat
Angina
Extreme rise or drop
..in blood pressure

Circulatory

Swelling

Gastrointestinal

Diarrhea
Nausea/vomiting
Stomach cramps
c
Rectal bleeding
Bloating

Muscular

Flu-like achiness
Joint pain
Stiffness
   Neurological

Depression
Mood swings
Rage reactions
Migraine headache
Dizziness
Light-headedness
Loss of balance
Disorientation
Mental confusion
Anxiety
Panic attacks
Hyperactivity
Behavioral problems
..in children
Attention deficit disorders
Lethargy
Sleepiness
Insomnia
Numbness or paralysis Seizures
Sciatica
Slurred speech
Chills and shakes
Shuddering

Visual

Blurred vision
Difficulty focusing
Pressure around eyes
   Respiratory

Asthma
Shortness of breath
Chest pain
Tightness in the chest
Runny nose
Sneezing

Urological / Genital

Bladder pain (with frequency)
Swelling of the prostate
Swelling of the vagina
Vaginal spotting
Frequent urination
Nocturia

Skin

Hives (may be both ..internal and external)
Rash
Mouth lesions
Temporary tightness or
..partial paralysis
..(numbness or tingling)
..of the skin
Flushing
Extreme dryness of
..the mouth
Face swelling
Tongue swelling
Bags under eyes

Offline Isaacsmama

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2007, 08:03:31 AM »
wow, that is just crazy...they really are trying to kill us.  I wonder if my dizziness lightheaded problems are from MSG.  I was told it was from Lyme Disease I had a while back, but now I wonder.  Now that I know what has MSG, I am going to try my hardest to avoid it.  I hope you find some answers for your eye issues.

Offline makingchanges

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2007, 08:04:22 AM »
I also kept wondering if autolyzed yeast, etc. was really MSG. This explained it to me. It is from this site:
http://www.holisticmed.com/msg/msg-basics.txt

"MSG  is manufactured through a process of protein hydrolysis.  When
a  product  is  99%  pure  MSG, the product is  called  "monosodium
glutamate" by the FDA and must be labeled as such.  However, when a
hydrolyzed  protein contains less than 99% MSG, the  FDA  does  not
require that the MSG be identified.  "Autolyzed yeast," "hydrolyzed
soy  protein," and "sodium caseinate," are examples of names  given
to hydrolyzed proteins on food labels.

Under  FDA regulation, hydrolyzed protein products may be  used  as
ingredients  in  other  products without mention  of  the  original
hydrolyzed protein product.  For example, "hydrolyzed soy protein,"
when  used  in  "flavoring(s),"  "natural  flavoring(s),"  "natural
flavor(s)," and products called broth, bouillon, or natural chicken
flavoring,  etc., does not have to be mentioned on  product  labels
when the food processor claims that the hydrolyzed protein is being
used  for purposes other than flavoring.  "Hidden Sources  of  MSG"
lists some of the ingredients presently used to hide MSG.

Use  of MSG in food is growing.  MSG is found in most soups,  salad
dressings,  and  processed meats; in some crackers,  bread,  canned
tuna  fish, most frozen entrees, ice cream, and frozen yogurt.   It
is  often  used in "low fat" foods to make up for the  flavor  lost
when fat is reduced or eliminated."

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2007, 08:33:54 AM »

It is often  used in "low fat" foods to make up for the  flavor  lost
when fat is reduced or eliminated."

How ironic! If they'd just use good fat they could have the flavor and nutrition. And skip the poison altogether! But of course, that's weird thinkin'.  ::)

Offline westernmama

• Adept
    • Cheap Pregnancy Tests
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2007, 03:59:39 PM »
I'm trying to figure out what exactly is causing my indigestion.  Tonight we had elk meat that had been marinated then cooked in the crockpot all day.  About a half hour after eating it, I began to have bad indigestion followed by bad diarrhea.  This also happened a month ago when I had eaten elk meat cooked in the crockpot.  I can't be sure, but I also think I had marinated it that time as well. 

So is my problem with the meat itself or perhaps something in the marinade, MSG perhaps?  The marinade contains worcestershire sauce, acv, sea salt, garlic salt, pepper, sugar, and water.  Does worcestershire contain MSG?  I can't hardly believe if it wouldn't, almost everything does now.  It sure would help if I could have some idea what I need to avoid.

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2007, 04:06:06 AM »
I noticed recently that some garlic salt brands contain MSG.  Don't know about the worchestershire. 

Guess we just can never stop diligently watching.   :-\  I don't like always being suspicious of food.
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline naturalgirl

• Adept
  • one insignificant particle, combined
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2007, 01:03:09 PM »
Almost everyone I have talked to about MSG knows it is bad for them. I'm not surprised at how often food manufacturers and FDA administrations and "scientists" have to change names, because very few people would be dumb enough to choose some item that is slightly less expensive if they have the choice to avoid something that has MSG on the label. What has alarmed me was a few fragments of two articles I read a few months ago. The first was from an independent scientist that wrote that MSG is put into foods not only as a flavor enhancer, but to cover up the bland food. The second was of no connection to MSG in the least, and I don't remember where I read it. But it was of an army--Christian crusaders?-- which ate white bread and other rich foods before they were called to serve. The army, superior in number, was defeated easily by the "poor" opposing army which ate "poor" whole grains and what vegetables and meat they could raise themselves. Putting the two together, what is it we are doing to our nation, letting MSG in? Weakening it physically, that's for sure. I cannot stress the importance enough of how families need to live as independently and in as rural of a place as possible, as soon as possible. All the FDA is interested in is the funding they get from big manufacturers, who get their money from people who buy something because it is cheap and yummy, and who aren't sure if it has MSG in it anyway. I wonder if there are hidden greenback suppliers as well. No wonder the independent scientists are heavily burdened to do as much as they can to stand up against MSG! I sympathize with their fight in truth against money. It is easy to talk of a nation being sluggish and weak. It is hard when it hits home, becomes personal. I applaud all you dads and moms out there who care enough for your family to keep them safe in the "out back" country, teaching your children the life skills they need to survive in both the modern world and also in the woods. MSG is a deadly weapon which may someday let in visitors in that we don't like. :(
 Just something to think about.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 07:00:46 AM by healthybratt »

Offline purewellspring

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2007, 03:50:38 PM »
Since this post came up, I have to share my recent MSG testimonial. I'm now thoroughly convinced of the evils of MSG in ways I've never been before. :-\ ;D ;)

We've been eating really healthy for months and months, all natural, lots of raw, and definitely NO MSG. On a business trip in CO this past week, the host home we stayed in had Planters Dry Roasted Salted Peanuts...oh baby, oh baby. My favorite for pretty much my whole life. Yes, they have MSG, and yes, that's bad for you, and yes, I ate them anyway.

Baaaaaaaad idea. I'd never noticed a reaction to MSG before, but because I haven't had it in so long, I think I was much more aware of what was happening in my body. First, my emotions took a nosedive  :'(...for no reason. Then my stomach started cramping terribly, and I lost all my energy :-\. I was pretty much a basket case emotionally and physically for several hours, until I guess it got out of my system.

Lesson learned: no more MSG (even if I really like Planters Dry Roasted salted peanuts).  :'( ;) :)

Offline fisherprice

• Learning
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2007, 04:48:14 PM »
So we have the facts....now what?  I grew up using and cooking with the canned soup mixes (cr. of mushroom etc.) and i was just looking at the label and low and behold there was MSG.  Also, those rice flavored packets.  Now i just cant bring myself to use them and poison my family knowingly! 

My question is how do i transition!  My hubby grew up with really bad diet and still has one and i can not see him going raw :)  So any suggestions and help would be great.  I also have to cook for a 1 and 3 yr. old.

Offline HOMEFree

• Adept
    • Spark This Marriage - Christian marriage & romance boutique
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2007, 05:34:32 PM »
So we have the facts....now what?  I grew up using and cooking with the canned soup mixes (cr. of mushroom etc.) and i was just looking at the label and low and behold there was MSG.  Also, those rice flavored packets.  Now i just cant bring myself to use them and poison my family knowingly! 

My question is how do i transition!  My hubby grew up with really bad diet and still has one and i can not see him going raw :)  So any suggestions and help would be great.  I also have to cook for a 1 and 3 yr. old.

I just wrote a thing on my blog, with a recipe, on this very subject a few days ago. The link is below.
In short... buy boullion by HerbOx or there are som others and make your own ricearoni or soup. Newman's Own makes great MSG free salad dressings for a decent price. Basically you are going to need to not rely on quick fix foods anymore.

homeschoolblogger.com/H0MEFree

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/H0MEFree/399730/
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 09:53:22 AM by H0MEFree »

Offline westernmama

• Adept
    • Cheap Pregnancy Tests
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2007, 06:56:59 AM »

So is my problem with the meat itself or perhaps something in the marinade, MSG perhaps?  The marinade contains worcestershire sauce, acv, sea salt, garlic salt, pepper, sugar, and water.  Does worcestershire contain MSG?  I can't hardly believe if it wouldn't, almost everything does now.  It sure would help if I could have some idea what I need to avoid.

After I thought about this a while, I remembered that I had also put in two chicken boullion cubes with the roast.  And that is loaded with MSG!  The more I read about this stuff and how it is in everthing makes me even more convinced how bad it is for us.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2007, 07:03:49 AM »

Health Challenged Husbands: Winning Hubby Over to a Healthier Way of Life
Begin/Start a Healthier Diet/Lifestyle
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Lovin'myHoneyinVT

• Adept
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2007, 07:35:40 AM »
My husband got us on the band wagon for no High fructose corn syrup and
we are using the same Newman's own, although I have had some very good homemade dressings.  All you need is a blender and ingredients. 

The MSG's are my band wagon and I was thankful that the dressings didn't have MSG's also.  We also have been using the herbox bouillon. 

You can make the basic soup's using cream and butter and flour...and your own cheese or broccoli, etc.  It takes a little longer but not much.  Practice makes it very quick and Healthy :D 

God Bless you in your endeavors, Lovin'

Offline smalltown mom

• Adept
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2008, 06:41:33 PM »
unfortunately, HerbOx contains autolyzed yeast extract which is just a hidden name form MSG. Big bummer, because I'd switched to this brand too.

Offline beppyjo

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2008, 08:33:01 AM »
Not sure if this is the right thread or not................. Last night we ate out and had chinese food. I forgot to ask for no MSG. >:( We went shopping afterwards and my 3yo dd was wired ( i was exhausted), much worse than her normal busy self. Well, I didn't think too much about it but then this a.m. she threw and and has diarrhea. Could it be the MSG? I cook from scratch so if we get MSG it would only be rarely in very small amounts. She is acting fine this morning. Chipper, happy, hungry, etc........ There is a flu bug going around but those who have had it have been miserable. I have given her Yarrow/peppermint tea, put peppermint e.o. on her tummy, and she has kept down 1 piece of homemade bread and a bowl of yogurt that I added extra probiotics too. Anything else I should be doing? Thanks ladies!

Offline rebeccahuff

• Adept
  • www.homeschoolblogger.com/rebeccahuff
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2008, 10:28:49 AM »
To find out what "healthy" foods have hidden MSG go to www.truthinlabeling.org  they "expose" companies that actually say they have no MSG but actually do...

YoopreMama

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2008, 11:47:16 AM »
That's a good site, HB--thanks...this page in particular:

http://www.truthinlabeling.org/hiddensources.html

Offline rebeccahuff

• Adept
  • www.homeschoolblogger.com/rebeccahuff
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2008, 03:31:44 PM »
I was amazed to find out many of Newman's Own Salad Dressings, and Kettle Chips (both touted to be "healthy" even though there's no such thing as a healthy chip) have MSG. Sad. I used Follow Your Heart Veganaisse for years and I sent in a request to know if there was MSG, even naturally occuring and they said they could not say for sure... This stuff was so delicious, made with Grape Seed Oil... well, needless to say, we make our own homemade mayo now using the Nourishing Traditions recipe. My dh says it tastes better anyhow... ;)

Offline sweetestday

• Adept
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2008, 04:03:39 PM »
I was amazed to find out many of Newman's Own Salad Dressings, and Kettle Chips (both touted to be "healthy" even though there's no such thing as a healthy chip) have MSG. Sad. I used Follow Your Heart Veganaisse for years and I sent in a request to know if there was MSG, even naturally occuring and they said they could not say for sure... This stuff was so delicious, made with Grape Seed Oil... well, needless to say, we make our own homemade mayo now using the Nourishing Traditions recipe. My dh says it tastes better anyhow... ;)

I've been using Neuman's own because I thought it didn't have MSG! Where did you see that it does?