Author Topic: Chocolate Milk Recipes, Anyone?  (Read 15645 times)

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
Chocolate Milk Recipes, Anyone?
« on: December 23, 2006, 05:02:02 PM »
Well my older son loves chocolate milk on special occasions.  We've never used the syrup, only Shaklee chocolate shake powder (similar to ovaltine).  I'm wondering if I can just add a little cocoa to cold milk (it's unsweetened cocoa) or if that would make his milk bitter and gross.  I've made hot cocoa this way, but the recipe also called for condensed milk (sugar). 

Does anyone have any recipes on how to make chocolate milk that isn't syrup based (aka high fructose corn syrup based)?  Can I just melt a tiny bit of semi-sweet chocolate on the double broiler and mix it in his milk?  The Shaklee just isn't in the budget anymore.  BTW we drink raw milk, so that may be a factor for some recipes.  Not sure.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2006, 05:05:43 PM by ShabbyChic »
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline prairiechild

• Adept
Re: Chocolate Milk Recipes, Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2006, 05:07:23 PM »
I was looking for a hot chocolate mix but could only find ones with hydrogenated oils. My husband bought some Ibarra chocolate bars. Ingredients:sugar, cacao nibs, soy lecithin and cinnamon flavor. You just heat milk on the stove, add the block and stir till it melts. It is the best hot chocolate ever. Plus I've heard cacao nibs are good for you. Lots of magnesium.

We buy it at a Mexican grocery store.

Ovaltine is good for cold chocolate milk.

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2006, 06:06:53 PM »
He won't drink hot milk, so could I make it this way and then refrigerate it?  It sounds yummy!

Offline prairiechild

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2006, 03:42:56 AM »
I've never tried that. I think all the melted chocolate bits would get hard and maybe make it kind of gritty. I don't know if that would work or not.

YoopreMama

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2006, 04:04:39 AM »
Would milk + cocoa + maple syrup work= yummy?   ;D  :P

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2006, 05:11:57 AM »
You have to add sugar or some other kind of sweetener to make cocoa sweet.  You could try stevia, I suppose, but we also use Ovalteen.  It's sweetened with beet sugar which is comparable to cane sugar, but it has far less crud in it than Nestle Quik or Hershey's Syrup.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline chopchop

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2006, 06:28:03 AM »
I have a 1950 Betty Crocker cookbook that says "Make cocoa or chocolate your favorite way.  Cool. Serve in glasses with chopped ice and top with sweetened whipped cream" 
There is one hot chocolate recipe here that adds a beaten egg to the hot milk.  Have a feeling it would make a nice thick chocolate milk.

Here is a the Chocolate Syrup Recipe from that cookbook that I have made: 
(my adaptions in parenthesis)
Chocolate Syrup
Combine in saucepan:
 1 cup of cocoa
 2 cups sugar  (3/4 c. raw sugar & 3/4 c. honey)
                  (Or your own combination of honey, stevia, raw sugar, etc)
1/4 tsp salt (sea salt)
Stir in:
2 cups cold water
Simmer until smooth and thick, about 5 minutes
Stirring or beating with a rotary beater (or whisk).
Cool and Add:
1 Tbl. vanilla  (make sure it is the real stuff  ;D)
Stir well.  Pour into a jar. Seal. Store in refrigerator.

To make Chocolate milk add 1 1/2 - 2 TBL. Chocolate Syrup to 1 cup milk.  Beat with rotary beater.  (You could also blend in blender or beat vigorously with a whisk.)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 11:37:36 AM by chopchop »

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2006, 07:32:05 AM »
Now that I'm pregnant and drinking a lot of raw milk daily, I got tired of plain milk and tried making chocolate milk with honey. It turned out to be the best chocolate milk we've ever had!

The honey would gum up when the cold milk hit it and not dissolve well so I figured out that I needed to mix the cocoa powder and the honey together first (it will look like it's just not going to mix together but then, "POOF!", it's a syrup). Then add a little milk at a time and stir 'til it's a really thin syrup. Then you can and more milk and it should mix just fine. And after I read that cocoa can block the absorption of calcium I tried using carob powder instead and it turned out great too.

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline Ami H.

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2006, 08:43:12 AM »
we have done the carob and honey thing too, BTW, and yes it was good.  It is not the same as chocolate, but good.  It worked very good on my younger children, but my oldest wasn't fooled.
...I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord...Phil 3:7-11

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2006, 10:17:21 AM »
And after I read that cocoa can block the absorption of calcium I tried using carob powder instead and it turned out great too.
I'd be interested in your sources on this.  I've read exactly the oposite.  Chocolate (cocoa) is a very high source of magnesium which helps aid the absorbtion of calcium. 

Here's are a couple of replies I posted on this subject on other threads.

Chocolate a health food?
magnesium and calcium
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2006, 10:44:12 AM »
I found it at a link posted in the "good goodies" thread. But I also found it in one of the threads you just linked to...

I did a search and found nothing that says magnesium hinders calcium absorbtion.  I'd be interested in the articles you read.  Could you post the links?

Factors that hinder calcium absorption include oxalic acid (chocolate, spinach, beet tops, collard greens, etc.), but this is not of great concern, as dietary calcium is usually far greater than dietary oxalate. The same is true for phytic acid found in whole grains (i.e., wheat bran and whole wheat). Low serum levels of vitamin D and/or PTH decrease calcium absorption.

Following absorption, calcium enters the bloodstream and is transported to body tissue. The major site of deposition is bone.1 Unabsorbed calcium (approximately 60-70 percent of intake levels) is excreted in fecal matter, but may provide a protective role in regards to colon cancer prevention by binding to bile acids and other sterols, and blocking their conversion to cancer-causing secondary sterols .(lithocholic acid, deoxycholic acid)...from

All of the literature I've read in the past tells me that magnesium is essential in the absorption of calcium.

Apparently the culprit is the oxalic acid in the chocolate and cocoa. Wikipedia says this about it:

Foods that are edible, but that still contain significant concentrations of oxalic acid include - in decreasing order - star fruit (carambola), black pepper, parsley, poppy seed, rhubarb stalks, amaranth, spinach, chard, beets, cocoa, chocolate, most nuts, most berries, and beans. The gritty “mouth feel” one experiences when drinking milk with a rhubarb dessert is caused by precipitation of calcium oxalate. Thus even dilute amounts of oxalic acid can readily "crack" the casein found in various dairy products.

I've not thoroughly researched this by any means. What you see above is about as far as I've looked into it.

WR
« Last Edit: December 24, 2006, 12:06:43 PM by Whiterock »
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2006, 04:06:52 PM »
I found it at a link posted in the "good goodies" thread. But I also found it in one of the threads you just linked to...
Factors that hinder calcium absorption include oxalic acid (chocolate, spinach, beet tops, collard greens, etc.), but this is not of great concern, as dietary calcium is usually far greater than dietary oxalate. The same is true for phytic acid found in whole grains (i.e., wheat bran and whole wheat). Low serum levels of vitamin D and/or PTH decrease calcium absorption.

I found this...

Step 4: Stimulate/Sedate

• Beware of calcium antagonists. Certain foods interfere with calcium utilization. For better bones avoid consistent use of:

 Greens rich in oxalic acid, including chard (silver beet), beet greens, spinach, rhubarb.
 Unfermented soy products, including tofu, soy beverages, soy burgers.
 Phosphorus-rich foods, including carbonated drinks, white flour products, and many processed foods. (Teenagers who drink sodas instead of milk are four times more likely to break a bone.)
 Foods that produce acids requiring a calcium buffer when excreted in the urine, including coffee, white sugar, tobacco, alcohol, nutritional yeast, salt.
 Fluoride in water or toothpaste.
 Fiber pills, bran taken alone, bulk-producing laxatives.
 Steroid medications, including corticosteroids such as prednisone and asthma inhalers. (Daily use reduces spinal bone mass by as much as ten percent a year.)
 Restricted calorie diets. Women who weigh the least have the greatest loss of bone during menopause and "neither calcium supplements, vitamin D supplements, nor estrogen" slow the loss. Among 236 premenopausal women, all of whom consumed similar amounts of calcium, those who lost weight by reducing calories lost twice as much bone mass as women who maintained their weight.

Although chocolate contains oxalic acid, the levels are so low as to have only a negligible effect on calcium metabolism. An ounce/3000 mg of chocolate binds 15-20 mg of calcium; an ounce of cooked spinach, 100-125 mg calcium. Bittersweet (dark) chocolate is a source of iron. Recent research has found chocolate to be very heart healthy. As with any stimulant, daily use is not advised. Chocolate is an important and helpful ally for women. Guilt about eating it and belief that it is damaging to your health interferes with your ability to hear and respond to your body wisdom. If you want to eat chocolate - do it; and get the best. But if you're doing it every day - eat more weeds...from botanical.com

The other good news is that tannin in cocoa may help to prevent caries by reducing the growth of plaque and the oxalic acid in chocolate appears to lower acid production...from Facts About Chocolate

What starts as a relatively healthful, if stimulating, food becomes quite the opposite with the addition of large amounts of sugar, milk and fat. Recent studies indicate that chocolate is rich in phenylethylamine, a substance our brain manufactures when we fall in love. Thus chocolate is handy as an enticement to love as well as a balm for the loss, thereof. Cocoa also contains caffeine and theobromine, both brain and body stimulants. There are about 30 milligrams of caffeine in your average chocolate bar (a cup of brewed coffee contains around 100 to 150 milligrams). Occasional use of chocolate can be a pleasant, stimulating experience, but don't go overboard. Although chocolate is very rich in magnesium, it is high in oxalic acid which in excess can inhibit calcium and other mineral absorption by the body...from Clear Accounts & Thick Chocolate

I also know that low levels of Vitamins D, E and Magnesium and low fat diets hinder the absorption of calcium...

What I get from all this is that chocolate is not bad, so long as you have a healthy diet and you don't intend to live on chocolate and that the darker (less sugar) the better.  Also the more expensive the chocolate, the less likely it is to have hydrogenated oils and/or fats.  So less processed is best and can be a healthy additive to one's diet.  In France, I understand they eat a small piece of chocolate after most meals to help prevent cravings between meals and the French by far (statistics prove) are a much healthier culture.  I got this information from "The Fat Fallacy" (very good book) and follows most of the same logic as "Eat Fat:  Lose Fat" for anyone who is familiar with that book.

I, personally am not giving up chocolate.  ;)

« Last Edit: December 24, 2006, 04:09:37 PM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2006, 04:33:22 AM »
What I get from all this is that chocolate is not bad, so long as you have a healthy diet and you don't intend to live on chocolate and that the darker (less sugar) the better.  Also the more expensive the chocolate, the less likely it is to have hydrogenated oils and/or fats.  So less processed is best and can be a healthy additive to one's diet.  In France, I understand they eat a small piece of chocolate after most meals to help prevent cravings between meals and the French by far (statistics prove) are a much healthier culture.  I got this information from "The Fat Fallacy" (very good book) and follows most of the same logic as "Eat Fat:  Lose Fat" for anyone who is familiar with that book.

I, personally am not giving up chocolate.

Neither am I! But there seems to be differing opinions on whether or not it only takes a little oxalic acid or a lot (see the Wikipedia quote). And, either way, when I drink milk while pregnant I want to get the most out of it (I need the calcium and the milk is expensive) so I'm making my "chocolate milk" with carob instead of chocolate. I do still eat chocolate (dark chocolate is my favorite!!!) but not often and not with my raw milk.

I've been wanting to read "The Fat Fallacy" for a while now. Would really like to get it for my mom and sister, too. Sis is considering gastric bypass surgery because she can't stick to, or keep weight off, on a low-fat diet (and she thinks that's the only way to diet).  :-[

WR

Who Needs God?

Offline pelican

• Learning
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2006, 05:04:19 PM »
As I read through this thread I saw a couple of you referring to Ovaltine.  I used to think it was a good alternative until in a book of mine there was a listing of "Commercially Prepared Foods Known the Contain GMO's."  It lists Ovaltine Malt Powdered Mix so I'm not sure if it includes the plain chocolate version, we always drank the Malt version.  Anyway, it was published June 2000 by Seventh Generation (www.seventhgen.com).  GMO stands for "genetically modified foods" and are foods that are genetically engineered.  My book questions their safe use.  My common sense makes me stand back and look for an alternative.

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2006, 02:23:18 AM »
The best hot cocoa I have ever had didn't even have milk in it.   :o

1 can coconut milk
1 cup water
2 TBSP. cocoa(I used an organic pre-mixed hot cocoa)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 TBSP maple syrup(or to taste)
3/4 tsp. dolomite powder(optional...this ingredient actually makes you sleepy!!!)

Bring all ingredients to a very warm state and enjoy.

Offline mishy

• Master
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2006, 02:25:35 AM »
wow!  That does sound yummy.  Where do you get dolomite powder?

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2006, 02:30:37 AM »
wow!  That does sound yummy.  Where do you get dolomite powder?

Health Food Store.  Actually, it is just a fancy word(I think) for calcium supplement.
It has 1,100 mg calcium
2 mg iron
630 mg magnesium

So, you could just open up a couple capsules worth of a CAL/MAG supplement, too, maybe?
HTH.

Offline mishy

• Master
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2006, 02:35:26 AM »
hm.  I didn't know calcium makes you sleepy. 

PS did you get my email?

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2006, 02:41:42 AM »

PS did you get my email?

Well, it makes me sleepy.  Weather it is the dolomite or a glass of raw milk before bedtime, it knocks me out every time.

YES!!  Got your email.  Just got back from a 3-day vacation in Southern Ohio.  I will email you back ASAP!!  ;)

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2006, 07:56:36 PM »
And after I read that cocoa can block the absorption of calcium I tried using carob powder instead and it turned out great too.

WR

Calcium (also iron) needs to be dissolved in stomach acid to be absorbed. Cocoa, esp. dutch processed (means it's treated w/an alkali) is alkaline so it neutralizes the acid. Calcium & iron also must mix w/bile in the intestines to be absorbed so it needs to be taken or consumed w/fat. See Adelle Davis's book: Let's Get Well. HTH~herbalmom

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2006, 12:18:17 PM »
I make a chocolate syrup w/ equal amounts of 'dark' cocoa powder and (healthy ;)) sugar, a little vanilla and enough water to make the mixture "pourable" . Warm on the stove until the sugar is dissolved. We stir this syrup into hot or cold milk or I pour it over icecream because I love chocolate and dh can do without ;). Add the syrup to taste... The syrup keeps in the fridge indefinitely- at least 6 weeks, which is the longest I have ever tried!

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2007, 06:20:46 PM »
Just an update.  My husband (a genius, I swear  :-* ) came up with the idea of mixing chocolate Rice Dream into his milk.  A little goes a long way, and it's easy and smooth.  Just thought I'd pass on the good info!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2007, 05:15:45 AM »
Just an update.  My husband (a genius, I swear  :-* ) came up with the idea of mixing chocolate Rice Dream into his milk.  A little goes a long way, and it's easy and smooth.  Just thought I'd pass on the good info!
What's that?  What's in it (besides rice milk)?  ;)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 05:17:23 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2007, 05:24:31 AM »
Raw milk and chocolate rice milk.  The rice milk is dark and strong, so seriously, a tablespoon to 8 oz. of milk is plenty.  And SMOOTH!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2007, 06:12:12 AM »
Raw milk and chocolate rice milk.  The rice milk is dark and strong, so seriously, a tablespoon to 8 oz. of milk is plenty.  And SMOOTH!
I meant what's in the rice milk?  Cocoa, I'm assuming, but what else?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2007, 06:25:49 AM »
The syrup keeps in the fridge indefinitely- at least 6 weeks, which is the longest I have ever tried!

I like how "indefinitely" = 6 weeks  when we're speaking of chocolate!  LOL.  And here I thought it was only 3 weeks.   ;) ;) ;D

I love just unsweetened cocoa powder mixed with milk. 
"...plain Kate, and bonny Kate, and sometimes Kate the curst..."

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2007, 06:28:10 AM »
The syrup keeps in the fridge indefinitely- at least 6 weeks, which is the longest I have ever tried!

I like how "indefinitely" = 6 weeks  when we're speaking of chocolate!  LOL.  And here I thought it was only 3 weeks.   ;) ;) ;D

I love just unsweetened cocoa powder mixed with milk. 
awfully bitter.   :-X
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2007, 07:45:31 AM »
What's that?  What's in it (besides rice milk)?  ;)

INGREDIENTS:
Filtered water, brown rice (partially milled), expeller pressed high oleic safflower oil, cocoa, tricalcium phosphate, xanthan gum, vanilla, sea salt, vitamin A palmitate, vitamin B12, vitamin D2.

Contains gluten from barley protein at less than .002%.
Who Needs God?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2007, 07:52:57 AM »
Thanks ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline laurajeanne

• Adept
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2007, 07:59:31 AM »

My OB told me to take my calcium supplements before bed when I had trouble sleeping - not that anything would make me sleep through the night when I was 9 months pregnant ::)  Anyway, he said it had a relaxing effect, so that's probably what the dolomite does.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 08:47:50 AM by ragamuffin mama »
If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world. - C.S. Lewis