Author Topic: Grapefruit Seed Extract [GSE]: When, Where, Why & How (Much)  (Read 62185 times)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Grapefruit Seed Extract [GSE]: When, Where, Why & How (Much)
« on: April 07, 2006, 04:48:23 PM »
Grapefruit seed extract is supposed to be a good natural anti-fungal, but I can't find any information on how to obtain it "naturally", like right out of the grapefruit.  Every bit of research I've done says that it has to be done with some kind of chemical mixture that sounds way to complex to be "natural".

Couldn't I just eat the seeds?  How many seeds would I have to eat?  Can I tincture them or make tea?

Anyone have any info on this?

My favorite herb book!!

Offline Gabriel Anast

• Administrator
  • Master
Re: Grapefruit Seed Extract [GSE]: When, Where, Why & How (Much)
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 05:34:01 PM »
GSE is one of those oddly wonderful things that... is really difficult to make in the average kitchen. There are some home distillers that have figured out ways to make something like it, but more or less, you have to buy it manufactured. See the quote and links that follow.

Having said that, it is something that we have had very good results with, and in my opinion it is one of those "don't leave home without it" products. It is great for sterilizing, washing, cleaning in all maners, I take it internally either as a couple drops in a glass of orange juice, or as 6 to 8 drops in a gel cap which I then top off with water, close, and swallow like a pill. Internally it is great for stomach flu, food poisoning, etc.

It can be added in small amounts to water that you don't quite trust (1 drop per 8oz cup), and a dilute wash can be used to sanatize dirty surfaces: put three or four drops on a baby wipe to clean a public toilet seat.

This page has an amazing amount of wonderful information: http://www.gseinformation.com/

--gabe

"Pure vegetable glycerin is added to reduce the bitterness and acidity to a tolerable level and to reduce the possibility that incidental contact could cause irritation to the skin or mucous membranes."

"Grapefruit Extract Production
    1) Grapefruit pulp and seeds (the by-product of expeller-extracted grapefruit juice) is dried and ground into a fine powder.
    2) The grapefruit powder is dissolved in purified water and distilled to remove the fiber and pectin.
    3) This distilled slurry is spray dried at low temperatures forming a concentrated grapefruit bioflavonoid powder.
    4) This concentrated powder is dissolved in vegetable glycerine and heated.
    5) Food grade ammonium chloride and ascorbic acid are added, and this mixture is heated under pressure.
    6) This material undergoes catalytic conversion using natural catalysts (including hydrochloric acid and natural enzymes).
    7) This slurry is cooled, filtered and treated with ultraviolet light.

The amount of Ammonium Chloride remaining in the final product is between 15% and 19%.
The amount of Ascorbic Acid remaining in the final product is between 25mg/g and 30mg/g.
There is no residue of hydrochloric acid in the final product."
Also:

http://alternative-medicine.families.com/grapefruit-seed-extract-869-871-gea2
http://www.itmonline.org/jintu/grapefruit.htm
« Last Edit: April 07, 2006, 05:36:29 PM by Gabriel Anast »

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 06:06:58 PM »
Thanks for the info.

One of the ingredients they add actually comes from an inedible fruit.

Hmmmm....after reading the info on milk, I'm pretty skeptical of anything I can't make in my own kitchen.  I have been told my whole life that milk is essential and healthy..and now I'm being ridiculed by my husband because I believe otherwise.

My favorite herb book!!

Offline TruthSeeker

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2006, 06:16:47 PM »
Milk can't be all bad.  God gave the Israelites the land of "MILK and honey", right?

Offline Gabriel Anast

• Administrator
  • Master
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2006, 06:36:32 PM »
OK, this is a thread about GSE, not Milk... but... I don't think anyone has said that milk is bad... mostly that Homogenization is bad... terrible actually, and that pasteurization has its flaws.

There are a lot of anti-milk zealots out there... we are not them.

About doubting GSE: the wonders of GSE are largely EXTERNAL to your body. The amazing effects that it can have internally are great, but if the manufacturing process scares you, just use it for its other benefits... In any case, I guarantee that you would be won over to the "naturalness" of GSE if you could see the whole manufacturing process of just about any breakfast cereal.

--gabe

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2006, 05:44:58 AM »
I guarantee that you would be won over to the "naturalness" of GSE if you could see the whole manufacturing process of just about any breakfast cereal.

*shudder*  don't freak me out like that.   ;)

The beast you know....  ::)

I've heard/read many good things about this and I may try it eventually.  Baby steps...
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2006, 05:49:04 AM »
Milk can't be all bad.  God gave the Israelites the land of "MILK and honey", right?

There is a thread elsewhere on Milk and Homogenization.  I was referring to this topic.  It mainly focuses on homonegization and pasteurization and it's negative effects.

I think there are many healthy things out there.  I don't even think sugar is all so bad, but commercial industry takes what is pure and makes it "cheap".   
« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 11:49:29 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2006, 08:01:34 AM »
Back to GSE, I've read that the best stuff contains only seeds and no pulp.  Apparantly some pregnant people and other very sensative people have had some sort of unspecified adverse result with the pulp.  Anyone know more?     ~L

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2006, 08:03:40 AM »
I just had a Eureka moment, I think.  If GSE is anti-fungal, would it help yeast rashes in babies?  Maybe I'll post this question on that thread, too.    ~L

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2006, 05:41:26 AM »
Quote from: dara

I read somewhere that it MAY be an endocrine disruptor... having seen it on only one site, I'm not too concerned, but would like to research it more... thanks, Dara

My favorite herb book!!

Offline Christal

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2006, 04:13:29 AM »
I bought some grapefruit seed crush because of the post about diaper pails and what not on here and couldn't find any information on how much to use.

I think I want to use it in my homemade laundry soap (the five gallon bucket recipe from healthybratt) and in my diaper pail for starters.

Can the experienced GSC users post how much they use and for what they use it?
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life.  No one comes to the Father except through Me."  John 14v6

Offline Gabriel Anast

• Administrator
  • Master
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2006, 07:20:58 AM »
This website is a great place to start:

http://www.nutriteam.com/gse/index2.html

Note that GSC/E (also called citricidal) rarely comes 100% pure, but is usually diluted with glycerin. Beeyoutiful's is pretty strong at 60% GSE/C, and you can let this slightly moderate your usage.

--gabe

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2006, 11:00:49 AM »
i use 6 drops in one quart of water with some other ingred. for a spray cleaner. 

1 qt. water
6 drops GSE
3 drops lemon grass oil
1 T peroxide
a dollop of your fav. soap

works great!  smells good too.  ;D 
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline carolinachic

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2006, 04:45:31 PM »
How does the GSC work? And how do you use it in the homeade laundry recipe? I'm new to this and planned to make my first homeade laundry batch tomorrow! Thank you!
I love my kids! Austin 9, Avery 8, Haleigh 6, and Genevieve 4!!!

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2006, 03:19:55 PM »
So, what does everyone know about Grapefruit Seed Crush?

I ordered some from Beeyoutiful because it is supposed to be a good a good disinfectant.

Well, I had my chance to use it this week.  I had an infection on the side of my thumbnail.  So, I soaked it in hot water and applied the GSE to it (I actually didn't dilute it <didn't know>... I just used a tad).

Within half a day it felt much better.  Within 36 hours it was healed. Did I use this correctly?

What else can it be used for?

Offline StephTallent

• Adept
    • Beeyoutiful
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2006, 07:12:53 PM »
In this thread Gabe linked to a site that has a ton of information on GSE.   :)  Keep in mind when looking at their recommended dosages for different problems that Beeyoutiful's GSE is about twice as strong as the formula on that site.

http://welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,2464.0.html
Do not become so focused on where you are, and the destination you forget from whence you came. Concentrate not on what is to be attained so that you forget to extend encouragement, love and help to those behind.

Offline StephTallent

• Adept
    • Beeyoutiful
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2006, 08:23:34 AM »
http://welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,2464.0.html

That thread is "missing or off limits to" me.

Hmm.  Weird.   ???  This is how I found it.  Go to the search bar at the top of the home page and type in "GSE."  It pops up about the fourth thread down and is titled "Uses for GSE."   I may have copied the link incorrectly.   :-[ Sorry about that!
Do not become so focused on where you are, and the destination you forget from whence you came. Concentrate not on what is to be attained so that you forget to extend encouragement, love and help to those behind.

Offline Simply Kristen

• Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2006, 12:31:39 PM »
Well, I had my chance to use it this week.  I had an infection on the side of my thumbnail.  So, I soaked it in hot water and applied the GSE to it (I actually didn't dilute it <didn't know>... I just used a tad).

Within half a day it felt much better.  Within 36 hours it was healed. Did I use this correctly?

I have been doing some research and will answer my own question for everyone else  ;):

Uses for a wash: 20-40 drops in 1 pint of water for infected wounds.

GSE can be used for: internal use, douche, nasal spray, wash, diarrhea or dysentery preventative, purifying water, disinfectant, bandages (put on).

Warning:
One must always dilute GSE.  Excessive internal use can lead to killing all the good bacteria in the GI tract.

*reference: Harrod, S.H. (1999). Herbal antibiotics: Natural alternative for treating drug-resistant bacteria. United States: Storey Publishing.

Offline Simply Kristen

• Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2006, 12:43:53 PM »
How does the GSC work? And how do you use it in the homeade laundry recipe? I'm new to this and planned to make my first homeade laundry batch tomorrow! Thank you!

I would follow the ratio instructions above for the wash (but using Grapefruit Crush).
Note that GSC/E (also called citricidal) rarely comes 100% pure, but is usually diluted with glycerin. Beeyoutiful's is pretty strong at 60% GSE/C, and you can let this slightly moderate your usage.

--gabe
  I imagine this would be a good addition to a laundry batch.  Just remember to dilute dilute dilute!
I bet too much would be hard on the clothes.  I wonder if it would give the laundry a nice smell?

I really need to make my own batch.  :-\
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 12:48:24 PM by KristenA »

PMESguy

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2006, 03:27:59 PM »
I used to put it in my water bottle to help keep it clean to upset any parasitic formations in my gut. Well it stopped doing that after I read this: http://www.terressentials.com/truthaboutgse.html

Offline Simply Kristen

• Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2006, 07:21:33 PM »
I used to put it in my water bottle to help keep it clean to upset any parasitic formations in my gut. Well it stopped doing that after I read this: http://www.terressentials.com/truthaboutgse.html

Do you think Beeyoutiful's Grapefruit Seed Crush is better than the products described in that article?

I imagine it would be.......

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2006, 12:32:54 PM »
Has anyone used GSC or GSE internally with their little ones? I have used it myself, but am hesitant to try it on the babies until I am sure that the concerns are unfounded.
 I've got a boy who has sinus and  bronchial infections secondary to a viral infection. It is to the place that I need to do something more than garlic, steam, echinacea...
I was reading on nutriteam about using GSE in a nebulizer. I actually have a nebulizer so could do that as it would put the GSC right where it is needed.
Can anyone comment on this?

Offline jm3collum

• Adept
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2006, 01:24:56 PM »
Has anyone used GSC or GSE internally with their little ones? I have used it myself, but am hesitant to try it on the babies until I am sure that the concerns are unfounded.
 I've got a boy who has sinus and  bronchial infections secondary to a viral infection. It is to the place that I need to do something more than garlic, steam, echinacea...
I was reading on nutriteam about using GSE in a nebulizer. I actually have a nebulizer so could do that as it would put the GSC right where it is needed.
Can anyone comment on this?

My son has acute asthma and he and my daughter (both 3 and 4) started to develop a congested cough and stuffy nose.  I started giving them both 2-3 drops in a glass of orange juice for breakfast and it never developed into anything furth.  Cleared up within about 2 days.  That is very unusual for us.  By now, we would have already been to a doctor and done several breathing treatments.  We haven't done either  ;D!!!  I also will add a TT in the juice but don't do that as frequently as the grapeseed crush.  I believe the GSC is what helped them recover.  The only thing I noticed maybe as a side effect was my son was having massive bowel movements.  He usually has 2-3 a day anyway and his stools are usually pretty soft but lately, he has had double the amount  :o and as he says, it is gooey.  I don't really notice it being softer but definitely more.  Maybe he is being cleaned out???  Give a try and see. Good luck!
Michelle

Offline herbsgalore

• Learning
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2007, 04:53:48 PM »
Can I use grapefruit seed crush in my humidifier to prevent bacteria and mold growth?  If yes, how much per gallon?  If not, what can I use?

Offline SueZ

• Learning
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2007, 09:05:33 AM »

:o and  ???     Per this article...the only reason why GSE is effective is because of the other preservatives found in the the GSE extract....and the GSE itself is useless.  Okay...someone explain? Is this true?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2007, 09:17:42 AM »

:o and  ???     Per this article...the only reason why GSE is effective is because of the other preservatives found in the the GSE extract....and the GSE itself is useless.  Okay...someone explain? Is this true?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grapefruit_seed_extract

It is true that's it's not found in nature and that it has to go through some kind of chemical process in order to get it.

I've not been thoroughly convinced that I should be using it, but there is alot of evidence out there to support that it's safe and effective.  I don't really use it.  I'm more worried about the broad spectrum effects it may have on good flora in the gut.  There is no hard evidence to support whether it's safe for these or broad spectrum like many antibiotics.  I don't think it's worth the risk for things that I could use garlic or some other more natural resource.  That's just my 2 cents.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline SueZ

• Learning
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2007, 09:26:15 AM »
So maybe until I research GSE more I will contnue to use it externally.
Thanks!

Offline ~CKMom~

• Adept
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2007, 09:40:57 AM »
My  13 yr daughter has a severe sore throat.  Since there is a lot of documented strep racing around our community, I need to get this taken care of or we will have to go in to the doc.  We tried the GSE gargle as recommended, but her throat is so sore it about made her gag when she was trying to gargle.  I see that Gabe said he puts some drops in a capsule and takes it with water.  Would this work for strep throat, or does it work best if gargled?  I had to get something quickly, so I got the stuff from nutribiotic that is only 30% strong. 

If the sore throat does let up, how long do you keep taking it?  I don't want to leave a small amount of strep in her body unchecked and waiting to reappear.  We've been trying garlic and ginger, and aren't getting anywhere with the sore throat - although the fever is gone.  Thanks

Offline SteveTallent

• Adept
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2007, 10:25:15 AM »
Just saw this thread, and read the link that PMESguy provided, and was kinda concerned. Our products tend to be more natural, and more powerful than a lot of other companies, but of course, we just sell them, we don't make them. So, I went to the manufacturer, and I carefully questioned one of their nutritionists about Grapefruit Seed Crush. I don't think English was her first language, but I was able to get this from her. Yes, GSC is a synthetic compound, it is not found in nature. It is made in a lab by combining components different parts of the grapefruit. It results in a pharmaceutical grade antimicrobial. Now that right there might turn some people off, or make them want to do some more research.

I then questioned her very closely about preservatives in the GSC. I asked her if it contained benzethonium chloride. She said no. Then apparently she found the spot in her spec sheet about the product where it said, "Contains no preservatives". I wasn't done though. I asked her if it contained any triclosan or methyl paraben. She said no. I asked her again about the benzethonium chloride. She again said that it didn't have that and was preservative free.

Don't know if that helps anybody. Obviously I haven't sent this to a lab for testing and have only the word of the manufacturer's nutritionist. In the past that has proven to be very valuable and very trustworthy. But still, I'm not going to stake my reputation on GSC being free of preservatives, because frankly, I just don't know.

I'm not sure if I agree with the conclusion of the linked article that the antimicrobial properties of all grapefruit seed extracts are due to the relatively small percentage of preservatives. That is one possible explanation, but claiming that it is the only explanation is far-fetched. The scientific method demands that more testing be done with controls before any solid conclusion could be made.

Personally, we have had great experience with GSC. It does seem to have strong antimicrobial properties, despite reputedly being preservative free. Just thought I'd share what I found.
Any health info, or dosage recommendations are strictly my opinion and are not to be construed as the opinion or recommendation of Beeyoutiful.com unless otherwise stated.

Offline ~CKMom~

• Adept
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2007, 10:30:38 AM »
Thank you for this info!  I will be buying ahead for GSE from Beeyoutiful the next time that it is not on a "need now" basis, just to be safe.  Can you tell me, would you recommend definitely gargling for a sore throat/strep problem, or would taking this orally (perhaps drops in a capsule with water like Gabe said) work just as well?  Does this work as well systemically, or does it need to be applied at the actual site of infection!  Thank you!