Author Topic: Your Shampoo Might Be Your Problem: Going "No Poo"  (Read 211922 times)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Your Shampoo Might Be Your Problem: Going "No Poo"
« on: March 26, 2006, 05:53:10 PM »
I have spent close to ten years of my life trying to figure out why my head and body itch all the time.  I've tried lotions, creams, antihistamines, and the doctor even once prescribed anti-depressants for what he called neuro-dermititis.  It was miserable to itch all the time and not know how to fix it.  I went through many product eliminations, some of which were of no effect and others which helped.  One of the things that I found was a problem was anti-bacterial soap.  I read in a magazine article that washing with this kills bacteria that are supposed to live on your body to help control the growth of other more harmful organisms - namely yeast.  Overgrowth of yeast can cause many problems-- too many to list, but itching is right at the top of the list.  Changing back to bar soap helped so much; however, my head continued to itch.  After some time of bathing with bar soap,  I decided to start washing my hair with it and within days, my head stopped itching.  Just to prove this to myself, I went back to shampoo and the itching returned.  The only problem with this is that soap left my hair limp and unmanageable and it looked greasy.  So I went on a quest for a shampoo that would work for me.  After many tries and much research, I found that all shampoos share one thing in common that soap does not have - the use of detergents.  The information below is a brief summary of what I found.

Most over the counter shampoos use harsh surfactants, or detergents such as ammonium laurel (or laureth) sulfate, sodium laurel sulfate (SLS).  SLS, often called a premium agent in soaps and shampoos, are used in personal-care products because they are very cheap.  They were developed in Germany during WWII to replace soap when many things were in shortage.  Sodium laurel sulfates were originally designed to clean floors and can be found in items like garage floor cleaners, engine degreasers, and car wash soaps.  Sodium laurel sulfate is a strong degreaser that dries skin and hair, is irritating to the scalp, and may cause hair loss.  It is used in many so-called "natural" cosmetics, but it is not natural.  These are mostly petroleum derived.  These ingredients can even be found in baby shampoo - a product advertised as gentle.  Other surfactants that may be included:  Cocamidopropyl Betaine, PEG-80 Sorbitan Laurate (also known as polyethylene glycol), Sodium Trideceth Sulfate, Lauroamphoglycinate, PEG-150 Distearate, Sodium Laureth-13 Carboxylate, PPG-2 Hydroxyethyl Coco/Isostearamide, Glycol Monostearate, Cocamide DEA, Octylacrylamide/Acrylates/ Butylaminoethyl Methacrylate Copolymer, Polyglyceryl-3 Distearate, Polysorbate 60 and many, many more.

Many shampoos also contain dimethicone, a silicone derivative, claiming that it seals in moisture.  The only problem is that it also seals moisture out.  If you use a shampoo which includes dimethicone, the above mentioned detergents will strip your hair and scalp of all their natural oils and moisture.  The hair shafts and follicles in your scalp will then be sealed with silicone, virtually making conditioner worthless to your hair and scalp.  As a result your hair will become dry and brittle and your scalp, dry and itchy.

There seem to be many natural alternatives available, but many of them are expensive or hard to get, and even many of the herbal shampoos contain the above mentioned ingredients for lack of any more reasonable replacements--so I can either use shampoo and itch or use soap and have ugly hair. 

NO!  It turns out that it's not the soap that is the problem.  It's the water--it's too hard.  Imagine your hair with a "soap ring" as you see around the edges of your bathtub - GROSS!  Why does this soap scum cling to your tub?  Most water processing plants add extra minerals to the water (mainly lime and calcium) to coat the water pipes to prevent them from rusting.  Soap is less effective in very hard water because it reacts with these minerals to form calcium or magnesium salts.  These are not easily soluble in water and can result in soap film. 

Now we need to find something to get the soap out.  You may be lucky (or wealthy) enough to have soft water, but this is usually not the case.  The alternative?  Believe it or not-- apple cider vinegar does the trick.  I got much of my information and a few of my recipes from http://chagrinvalleysoapandcraft.com/shampving.htm.   

I have been using these natural vinegar recipes (with chamomile, peppermint, and lavender - recipe in website listed below) on my hair and body for a few weeks - with no conditioner.  I no longer itch.  I have very long, soft, shiny, beautiful hair.  I have no static and my hair dries much faster.  I can comb my hair while it is wet more easily than I could with conditioner and it tangles less throughout the day.  It also leaves my skin (even on my face) very soft without the use of lotions.  The biggest concern, the smell, disappears completely when the hair is dry.   

Note:  You may find that your hair feels thinner, like you have less of it.  Don't worry, your hair is not falling out.  Each hair shaft is made up of little scales, like shingles on a roof.  Hard water tends to make the scales stand up, which makes your hair feel rough and fuller.  This is also what makes it tangle.  If you are concerned about the lack of fullness caused by using the vinegar rinses, simply use your hair-dryer.  The heat will also make the scales on the hair stand up and cause your hair to look fuller and more full of body.

More vinegar/herbal recipes for hair care.

http://possumsal.homestead.com/hair.html

More information on hard water and how it affects your hair.
http://chagrinvalleysoapandcraft.com/hardwater.htm

More information on Sodium Laurel Sulfate.
http://www.healthy-communications.com/slsmostdangerousirritant.html

More information on uses for vinegar.
http://www.falconblanco.com/health/supplements/applevin.htm

Household Products Database (this site provides a complete chemical listing for most commerical products including cleansers, makeup, shampoos, medicines, etc.)
http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov/index.htm

Since this discovery, I have been reading the labels of all my other beauty products.  I've found that most of them contain the same harsh detergents as my shampoo, including facial scrub, soft soap, dish soap, and more obviously laundry soap (even the allergy free and so-called gentle detergents).  I'm currently looking for ways to replace most of these products with more natural and healthy products which will produce the same effects.  There is much information on the internet about homemade recipes for home and body cleaners.  I personally have not had a chance to prove the effectiveness of any of them; however my next challenge is the laundry soap.  I'm having a bit of trouble finding one ingredient needed, but hope to find it soon.  If my recipe works as well as others have suggested, not only will my laundry be detergent free, but I'll be getting 24 gallons of laundry soap for the same price it normally costs to buy 2 gallons of commercial detergents like Cheer or Tide.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline littlebratt

• Wide Eyed
Re: Your Shampoo Might Be Your Problem: Going "No Poo"
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2006, 04:58:34 PM »
I have been using these natural vinegar recipes (with chamomile, peppermint, and lavender - recipe in website listed below) on my hair and body for a few weeks - with no conditioner.  I no longer itch.  I have very long, soft, shiny, beautiful hair.  I have no static and my hair dries much faster.  I can comb my hair while it is wet more easily than I could with conditioner and it tangles less throughout the day.  It also leaves my skin (even on my face) very soft without the use of lotions.  The biggest concern, the smell, disappears completely when the hair is dry. 

This is one of the many bizarre recipes that my mom had conned me into using.  I didn't believe it would work at first because vinegar, well it just sounds wrong!  But I have to admit she was right again ::), it really worked!  My hair is really thick and hard to dry fast with the blow dryer and ever since I used the vinegar recipe it dried in half the time, and even made it soft! :D
I like frogs, especially the green ones. ;)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 07:21:52 AM »
I have been using these natural vinegar recipes (with chamomile, peppermint, and lavender - recipe in website listed below) on my hair and body for a few weeks - with no conditioner.  I no longer itch.

I was just chatting with someone about this and they said they really wanted to try this but haven't found the time to mess with the herbs, make the infusions, etc.  I'll tell you what I told her.

If you really want to try this, you don't need herbs or infusions (these are extras for color, smell, etc.).  You can just use plain old apple cider vinegar right out of the jug (my daughter does, she prefers it this way).  We keep an old empty shampoo bottle in the shower.  We premarked it.  We measured 1 1/2 T and 3 T for long and short hair and we measured 3 cups (in our case this just filled the bottle).  Then you pour the vinegar to the Tablespoon line and fill the 3 cup line with water.  Then wash with soap (hair and body), rinse well.  Then start from the head and rinse your hair thoroughly and then your face and body (especially areas prone to odor or infections) with the vinegar mix and do another quick rinse.  Keep your eyes closed - ouch!  The taste ain't so great either, but I've gotten used to it.   :P
« Last Edit: April 18, 2006, 12:00:57 PM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline LilyEilis

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 10:13:00 AM »
A couple days ago, after reading your post and going to the main link you mentioned, I tried this (changing it some for curly hair) and was very impressed!  I usually have a problem with frizz with my curls, but this cut down on that quite a bit!  Thanks for sharing!

So do you use this vinegar rinse on your hair every singe time you shower?  Doesn't it dry your hair out?  And when you use the rinse on your body, is that in place of soap?

"...Jesus Christ, whom having not seen you love. Though now you do not see Him, yet believing, you rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory, receiving the end of your faith—the salvation of your souls." ~1 Peter 1:7f-9

Offline Leah IL

• Adept
    • Hillman Acres
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 10:54:29 AM »
I just wanted to let you know that after going to these links I have for the first time in about 10 years gotten my head and eyebrows to stop scaling and itching.  I have been mixing equal parts shampoo and baking soda to wash my hair- the baking soda just scrubs my scalp and feels so good.  I've also been using just a little bit of straight baking soda and rubbing it into my eyebrows.  Then I rinse my hair with regular white vinegar mixed with warm water right before I get out.  No flakes and my hair is SO soft.  I am going to do a candida cleanse to treat the real problem, but this is awesome in the meantime- so THANKS :)
Leah
Married to Ken 14 years, mom to Kenny (13), Kyle and Kaitlyn (11), Kevin (5) and Megan and Melissa (1 1/2)

My Intro: http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,1573.msg838.html#msg838

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 11:28:13 AM »
Hi HB i'm charged about learning about the vinegar and am going to use it as a rinse for my daughter who has recently complained about her head itching and has always had cradle cap.  my other kids have eczema (i think--one is dry and itchy and the other has little bumps on her face and arms.) so might use it on them as well.  also going to try vinegar as a fab.softener as listed on one site. 
LilyEilis--which link did you go to for the frizz recipe??  thanks gals!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 07:14:24 AM by healthybratt »
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2006, 11:59:34 AM »
So do you use this vinegar rinse on your hair every singe time you shower?  Doesn't it dry your hair out?  And when you use the rinse on your body, is that in place of soap?

Yes, I use it every time.  No, the vinegar has not dried my hair or skin out.   I use less conditioners and lotions than I did before.

I still color my hair commercially (which is BAD BAD BAD), but the price of being blonde  :-[  This dries my hair and I still have to condition it occassionally after a dye job.  I use Nexxus Humectrus (Great Stuff!), but it's leave in conditioner and I only use it about 3-4 every couple of months.  Shampoo dried my hair out so much more because it strips the natural oils from your hair, whereas soap and vinegar do not.

I still wash body and hair with soap and rinse as usual.  The vinegar is to help the shower to rinse the leftovers from the soap away while restoring the pH and apparently providing some odor and fungal protection as well.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2006, 12:01:42 PM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline simplecountrygal

• Learning
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2006, 01:26:24 PM »
So glad to learn about healthy shampooing, thanks HB for posting those helpful websites.  My head has itched and scaled for 2yrs. now!  I've always had problems, but 6 months after the birth of my first born it started and, except for a 2 week break, it's stayed!  I've had problems with yeast these last years also....may be connected..???  I'm washing with my plain-o bar of olive oil soap and it's kept my hair wonderfully clean!  I haven't tried the vinegar rinse just yet....(I'm one of those lucky ones with soft water!) as I'd like to see if there's any difference in just changing my "soap".  I'll keep ya'll posted on how my scalp's doin' :D.

Offline LilyEilis

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2006, 02:19:27 PM »
Thanks for the answers to my questions, healthybratt!

Fivewittlekids - well, I didn't really go to a link for the "frizz recipe"...for the basic vinegar stuff, I went to the link healthybratt gave, http://chagrinvalleysoapandcraft.com/shampving.htm. , but then I kind of made up my own recipe from there.  Because I have curly hair, I don't shampoo my hair, just use conditioner mostly (go to www.ylcf.org/gotcurl for more info if you want it) and I didn't want the plain vinegar rinse to dry out my hair.  So, I put together some apple cider vinegar, a couple big squirts of Aussie Moist Conditioner, and a little bit of water...mixed it all together to the consistency of watery shampoo...poured it all over my head...scrubbed good and rinsed it all out.  Then I followed it with my normal slather-in-conditioner-and-only-rinse-a-little-out...and for me, that cut down on the frizz.  If you have a frizz problem, I really would look at the www.ylcf.org/gotcurl site (it's based off of the book, Curly Girl, by Lorraine Massey)!  My hair used to be slightly wavy, fly-away, frizzy and just all together not-looking-very-nice (in my opinion), but then I started with the Curly Girl routine and now I have a head of curls!  But anyway...I won't get started on that!  Hope this helps!
"...Jesus Christ, whom having not seen you love. Though now you do not see Him, yet believing, you rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory, receiving the end of your faith—the salvation of your souls." ~1 Peter 1:7f-9

Offline Kansas Girl

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2006, 04:54:32 PM »
I have tried the vinegar rinse just like you suggested and it really does work well  :).  I'm so surprised that I don't smell like vinegar after my hair dries.  Thanks for the great suggestion.  (I'm going to try the recipe you posted for laundry soap soon.  :))
-KG
having a baby" border="0

Offline Julie G

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2006, 08:51:05 AM »
If you have a frizz problem, I really would look at the www.ylcf.org/gotcurl site (it's based off of the book, Curly Girl, by Lorraine Massey)!  My hair used to be slightly wavy, fly-away, frizzy and just all together not-looking-very-nice (in my opinion), but then I started with the Curly Girl routine and now I have a head of curls! 

This sounds great!!  :o   I checked out the website and I'm going to go the library and pick up the book TODAY! ;D  I have very thick curly hair, being in Texas with the humidity sure does put a drain on the hair!  Thank you for posting....I'm excited!
Ellie:  (when she was 3 years old)  "Mama, you sure got a big butt to sit with!"

Offline Joy2BMommy

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2006, 09:11:19 AM »
I'm sold now too!!  I used the vinegar rinse on my hair today (3 Tbsp. w/3 c. water) and my hair is amazingly soft!!  It does feel thinner as we were warned it might - that's OK by me, I have very thick hair and have never wanted to wear it down because it just looked too full - not now!!   

I tried this, not for how it would make my hair look and/or feel - that's a bonus!  I'm hoping it will clear up a very itchy dandruff spot that I've had on my head since shortly after my last baby was born, just over three months ago.  So far it's not itching, still flaking, but I've only used it the one time.  Hoping this is my cure!!!

Thanks for posting this!!

Debbi
Blessed mama of six kiddos with #7 on the way!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2006, 11:41:53 AM »
Hoping this is my cure!!!

Keep in mind that the cure lies in not using vinegar but in discontinuing shampoos.  The vinegar may help fungal problems and it's definiately a great substitute for cream rinse, but the intial problem lies in the stripping of your hair and scalp of it's essential natural oils.  Using bar soap instead of shampoo should be your first step and the vinegar is the icing on the cake  ;)  Note:  Soft soap is also a detergent, along with bubble bath, baby shampoo, and liquid body wash.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Joy2BMommy

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2006, 02:03:33 PM »

Keep in mind that the cure lies in not using vinegar but in discontinuing shampoos.... Using bar soap instead of shampoo should be your first step and the vinegar is the icing on the cake  ;) 

We mostly use castile soap, though I have been using Jason's Naturals shampoo with tea tree oil along with Jason's Naturals Dandruff Relief shampoo trying to get rid of this itchy problem (to no avail).  The castile soap is all natural and made with only oils (at least I think that's the case?) and comes in liquid or bar form - so if we really wanted the "liquid shampoo" couldn't the liquid castile be used?

OH, I'm putting two and two together as I type this!!  The soap scum that you mentioned in your original post - it goes away in your tub too when you switch to castile soap!  Since we switched a while back I don't have to scrub the tub often, and when I do, it's easy!  It makes sense that we had that same build up on the hair!  So now I guess we'll use the castile soap as our hair soap too - I like time saving devices - this will take care of my hair AND my tub!!

BTW, I thought some of the softness might wear off as the day went on, but it remained soft after it was dry and continues to be very soft even now.  Is there any true benefit to using conditioner if your hair isn't actually dry or damaged?  I really don't have either because I rarely use a curling iron and the hair dryer is only used if I'm in a hurry to get my hair dried - which I'll no longer need because it dries so fast after the vinegar rinse. If I continue to get results like this I doubt I'll ever buy conditioner again!  I really only used it in the winter months to help keep the static fly-away-hair under control, but I've used vinegar as a liquid fabric softener in my wash loads for more than a year now just for static control, so I would imagine it should be able to control static in my hair too. 

Thanks again for sharing your findings!!

Debbi 
Blessed mama of six kiddos with #7 on the way!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2006, 03:37:22 PM »
OH, I'm putting two and two together as I type this!!  The soap scum that you mentioned in your original post - it goes away in your tub too when you switch to castile soap!

Castile Soap - Originally made from olive oil, the term “Castile” now refers to any mild soap. Although modern Castile soaps are widely available, they can be very alkaline to the skin and hair.

Based on the above definition and what you said, I would acutally surmise that castile soap contains surfactants (detergents) and would not be good for your hair or your skin.  The only way to know for sure is to read the back of the bottle.  Look at the very first entry in this thread for reference on the most common detergents.  If you find an ingredient on the bottle that you do not recognize or cannot find in list, go to this page and type the ingredient in the search blank and see what it says.

Soap scum is not "good for you" but it isn't bad either.  It's just inconvenient and it's a very good indicator that your soap is mild enough and that you have hard water.  If your tub is clean, this could be a very good indicator that your soap is too harsh.  Just check the bottle to be sure.

If, in fact you continue to use the castile, I would still recommend that you use the vinegar rinse as your skin and hair are supposed to pH acid NOT alkaline.  Alkalines are not good for your hair and can cause hair loss.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 02:08:13 PM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2006, 02:04:07 PM »
ok gals!  wondering what i did wrong!  i used the apple cider vin. w/ water rinse on mine and daughters hair this am, and it feels like straw!  i have fine hair and she has thick but fine curly hair.  hers is slightly frizzy.  we washed and cond. then used the vin and didn't rinse it out.   Huh

Did you use soap or shampoo?  Soap is definately better.

I'm not sure, but my guess is that her hair was already stripped of it's nutrients prior to the treatment (using harsh shampoos currently or previously).  You might try a deep condition with mayonaise or eggs.  I don't have a recipe but there are many if you google for homemade recipes.

I don't use cream rinse.  I 1) wash with bar soap, 2) rinse thoroughly, 3)  soak with vinegar, and 4) quick rinse and if my hair still feels a bit dry, I use leave in conditioner (Nexxus Humectris). 
« Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 02:07:12 PM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2006, 06:57:58 PM »
which link did you go to for the frizz recipe??  thanks gals!

I found a link with various homemade conditioner recipes for frizz and deep conditioning.  I haven't tried any of these, but I'd say they are worth a shot.

Hair Crisis Measures
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2006, 11:52:43 AM »
hi HB!  we tried it again today, with Ivory soap and vinegar rinse.  my daughter's hair looks great today and she was thrilled with no frizz!  i'll probably try some of those deep cond., i'm sure with her being 14 and me NOT, she just has better hair than me!   ;)  thanks!
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline TammyLee

• Learning
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2006, 03:59:15 PM »
What do you know about using lye soap on hair?  Just curious....

TammyLee

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2006, 06:04:41 PM »
What do you know about using lye soap on hair?  Just curious....

Don't know, I've never used it that I'm aware of.  I've only used Vel, Ivory, & Pure and Natural in my hair.  I think the principal ingredient in these is Stearic Acid.  My soap is probably bad for me too, but I'm taking it one step at a time and my grandma has used Vel since before I was born. 

If lye is too harsh, you might consider glycerine soap - maybe?  or a lot of the ladies are recommending castille soap.  I actually thought that lye soap wasn't all that harsh as long as you added the right fats.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Leah IL

• Adept
    • Hillman Acres
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2006, 11:07:05 AM »
a lot of the ladies are recommending castille soap.  I actually thought that lye soap wasn't all that harsh as long as you added the right fats.

The thing to watch for with Castile soap from what I gather is to make sure it doesn't contain detergents.  It should say on the package "NO detergents."  Just because it says Castile doesn't mean it is detergent free.  There aren't any regulations as to what "castile" means.  So, as always, read the label :)  I am using Kirk's Coco Castile at the moment.
Leah
Married to Ken 14 years, mom to Kenny (13), Kyle and Kaitlyn (11), Kevin (5) and Megan and Melissa (1 1/2)

My Intro: http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,1573.msg838.html#msg838

Offline TammyLee

• Learning
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2006, 03:23:04 AM »
Do you know if I can use the vinegar rinse on my 5 mo baby? 

Thanks!

TammyLee

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2006, 07:36:08 AM »
Do you know if I can use the vinegar rinse on my 5 mo baby? 

Thanks!

TammyLee

I don't have any information regarding the safety of vinegar on infants, but I have been using it on my 2-year old.  When I get a chance, I'll try to look into it more.  If you want to try the vinegar, I would dilute it more than you do for yourself.  It can kind of tingle on the more sensitive parts.  Maybe 1/2-1 tsp per 3 cups water?  Or maybe just put 1 tsp in baby's water.  Or you might just dab a little diluted vinger on the wash cloth and pat the baby and then rinse.  Baby's skin is pretty sensitive, so I wouldn't think, you'd need to do this for every bath, maybe once a week?  When I bathe the baby, I don't always use soap at all.  Sometimes I just let him play in the bath until he soaks all the dirt off and then I use soap and vinegar about once a week maybe twice.  Also, be sure and watch the eyes.  It stings.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 07:48:29 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline bizymum

• Adept
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2006, 05:11:25 AM »
I've been using a vinegar rinse for about 3 weeks now.  I'm hooked!!  I use the recipe on one of the links HB posted.  Thanks HB for sharing!!   ;D  I make it in small batches which last me about a week.  I only wash my hair every other day.  Put a chamomille tea bag and a tea ball full of nettle in 2 cups of boiling water and let it steep for most of the day.  I add this to 2 TB of cider vinegar.  Then I switch the nettle with lavendar in my tea ball and cover with more hot water and let that sit for most of the evening.  I add that to the rest of the rinse and mix.  I keep it in a plastic water bottle in my shower.  It's cold when I use it, but that adds extra shine.  The smell of the rinse takes getting used to, but once dry there is no smell.  I take my showers at night and have even gone to bed with my hair still damp and there is no smell on my pillow.  Hubby hasn't noticed a smell either, which is good because he hates the smell of vinegar!!  Maybe he'll like it if I add some vanilla!   :D  My hair is naturally dark blond and since using this I have noticed a slight lightening, which I like.  I'm thinking about using a cotton ball to streak some on my hair during the day before going outside to see if it would lighten it a little more.  As a side note, I know HB mentioned using it as a douche during a yeast infection.  I have found that I have to avoid getting the rinse around that sensitive area.  I thought I had a yeast infection and couldn't figure it out, until we went away for the weekend and my symptoms cleared right up.  Then when we got home and I used the rinse again, I felt like I had a full blown yeast infection before I had even dried off from the shower!   :o  Since then, I only use it on my hair and face and haven't noticed any problems.  I guess everyone's different.  Just thought I'd mention it in case anyone else had the same reaction...  Anyway, I'm planning on switching to soap to wash my hair with but since I had just bought a new bottle of shampoo, I feel like I should use that up first. 

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2006, 10:29:56 AM »
As a side note, I know HB mentioned using it as a douche during a yeast infection.  I have found that I have to avoid getting the rinse around that sensitive area.  I thought I had a yeast infection and couldn't figure it out, until we went away for the weekend and my symptoms cleared right up.  Then when we got home and I used the rinse again, I felt like I had a full blown yeast infection before I had even dried off from the shower!   :o 

I don't know anything about nettle, but I don't add this to my rinse.  Could this be the difference?  If I make it too strong (not enough water), it does tingle a bit and my 5-year-old daughter says it burns, if I get it anywhere near her sensitive spots, but she's always sore there.  I have to bathe her frequently and avoid juices, detergents, etc.  I think the fact that she's not the most efficient at using toilet paper adds to her sensitivity, but it could just be her age. 
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline bizymum

• Adept
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2006, 01:06:25 PM »
I added nettle because of the benefits listed and because I already had some, so I just decided to throw it in.  But maybe the nettle is making the difference.  Or maybe it's because I'm pregnant and everythings different right now.  I think maybe the combination of pregnancy hormones and the rinse just throws things a little too off balance.  Either way, I love the rinse for my hair and will happily keep on using it.   ;)

Offline healthnut

• Adept
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2006, 02:45:32 PM »
Just curious if you are using plain apple cider vinegar or raw? Would it make a difference if I used raw, and would it be better or worse for me???? Just curious... :)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2006, 06:54:35 PM »
Just curious if you are using plain apple cider vinegar or raw? Would it make a difference if I used raw, and would it be better or worse for me???? Just curious... :)

I don't know what raw vinegar is.  I use the cheap ACV from WalMart.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthnut

• Adept
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2006, 09:37:28 PM »
I knew a lady who drank an apple cider vinegar tonic but it was raw vinegar. She said it was better, but thats all I know. I keep seeing it at the health food store. Just curious...

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2006, 06:34:43 AM »
This is the first summer I've been SLS and shampoo free.  I've also been itch free for months.

Mosquitos are out and they are out thick.  I have gotten bitten a few times this year, but I've noticed they don't itch as bad or for near as long as they used to.  They used to itch so badly, I'd scratch, have sores, scars, etc.  This year they seem to be a small nuisance rather than a drastic problem.  I had a couple of real hum-dingers on the backs of each leg and I barely noticed they were there and they disappeared within a day or two. 

I don't know if this is because I bathe in vinegar, lavender, chamomile and peppermint daily or if it's because my skin isn't already irritated from using detergents in my hair, on my skin,  and in my laundry but I thought it was worth mentioning.
  My favorite herb book!!