Author Topic: Water Filtrations Systems  (Read 20886 times)

Offline lewisquiverfull

• Adept
Water Filtrations Systems
« on: April 26, 2006, 03:38:44 AM »
Does anyone have any recommendations for a whole house water filtration system? We have well water. It has lots of iron, sulfer, extrememly hard, and I know it's not good for us. We are currently building a house and we want to put in a system before we move in so we don't get everything stained up (iron is very orange here). >:(  We have looked into a few systems and they are around $4000, and I was wanting something more natural if possible.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Water Filtrations Systems
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 04:06:16 AM »
Does anyone have any recommendations for a whole house water filtration system? We have well water. It has lots of iron, sulfer, extrememly hard, and I know it's not good for us. We are currently building a house and we want to put in a system before we move in so we don't get everything stained up (iron is very orange here). >:(  We have looked into a few systems and they are around $4000, and I was wanting something more natural if possible.

I am a bit biased as I used to work for this company, but hubby and me like the EcoWater System.  For the mondo softener and the R/o it costs just about $4000 like you said but if you can swing it--oh the softness of the water and the yummy drinking water!  A lot of people don't know this, but EcoWater actually builds the Sears softener as well.  It costs about $500 but it's only built to Sears "specs".  It does the same job, but it won't last as long (Sears makes more money on service than products).  EcoWater guarantees their tank for life and has a limited warranty on everything else.  Sears, I believe offers a 1-year warranty on everything.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline lewisquiverfull

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2006, 04:38:45 AM »
Thanks for the info. I will look into them,  I would like something very easy to care for, but also gets all the "yuckies" out of our water.  ;)

Offline Gabriel Anast

• Administrator
  • Master
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2006, 05:41:21 AM »
Check out this place: WaterFiltersOnline.com.

These people are really good at making a system that is perfectly suited to your water. The also have many articles to help you "do it yourself."

--gabe

Offline BlessedWith4

• ~Blessings~
  • Adept
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2006, 02:05:51 PM »
Oh good deal...We are in the EXACT same situation as the Original Poster, so this is good info. If anybody has anything else they can add, please do! We're looking into all of our options here...

Offline sarahmontgomery

• Adept
  • Isaiah 12:2
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2006, 01:54:39 AM »
I have read and read about different water purifiers.  I even saw where Hallelujah Acres has changed their opinion on distilled water.  What kind do you use?  What does is remove?  Thanks for your help, I have just found this site and it is wonderful!
Home, home on the range, where the deer and the cantaloupe play..... according to my 4 year old

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2006, 02:53:31 AM »
I think the best, most thorough water filter I've ever come across is made by Berkey.  This is a Christian company which sells its products at great prices - visit www.berkeylight.com.  I prefer the stainless steel units because of the questionable safety of Lexan, but they assure me I would have nothing to worry about with either unit.  (I discovered that bulkherbstore.com has a better price on the lexan unit, too.)  The woman I spoke with was very friendly and mentioned that the filter was originally developed at the request of the queen of England (many years ago) for missionaries who needed to remove harmful microbes from their drinking water to prevent disease.  That's why it's so thorough as well as portable, which I think is a great feature, although it doesn't chill the water for you.         ~L
« Last Edit: May 20, 2006, 08:00:04 AM by petrimama »

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2006, 04:20:50 AM »
Okay guys, here's a new one- ionized water? Check this out:
http://herballady.com/p168.htm#questions

I am trying to find something that filters floride out of my city water that doesn't cost much. I haven't found much yet. Does anyone know the difference between activated charoal and activated carbon? I am beginning to think neither of them work for floride.

Here something cool:
http://www.alerg.com/page/A/PROD/02WAT/WF3050
You can declorinate your bath water with vitamin C!!!!!!! I buy bulk pure ascorbic acid from my co-op, and 1/4 t. can purify the kid's bath water! Yay!
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2006, 05:24:43 AM »
Here is an e-mail I recieved this morning from WaterFiltersOnline.com. Have any of you studied Reverse Osmosis? Where can I get information on the demineralization, and can I add them back in? Thanks, guys.

Hi. I have questions about water filters:

-What is the difference between activated charcoal, and activated carbon?
Same thing.

-Does Reverse Osmosis remove (good) mineral from the finished water?
RO removes all minerals.  Good mineral consumption comes from diet rather than water. 

-I need something as small and inexpensive as I can find that removes chlorine and floride (among the basic other things) from my city water. Do you have any recomendations?

Your requirements call for Reverse Osmosis - RO.  See the system at....

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2006, 01:32:59 AM »
Okay, I am dying to post this here. We have used this for years,with great success on terrible water that we had in Kansas. We call this our Redneck water filter, but I call it a lifesaver. Our great friends in Kansas showed us this, and we've been doing it ever since.

We use about 3-4 of those ceramic filters from the Berkey company and a 5-gallon bucket. We drill holes to accommodate these filters right into the bottom of the bucket. Put the filters in, making sure they are in there good and snug.

Then, get yourself one of those large orange igloo coolers and it's a bit of a squeeze, but you actually place this 5-gallon bucket right into the cooler. It will be a tight fit and only goes 1-2 inches into the cooler. Voila! You have a redneck water filter. Of course, make sure everything is good and clean before you assemble. Fill the 5-gal bucket with water and let her go! Oh yeah, we had to drill some very small air holes at the top of the orange cooler, because the pressure builds up and literally none of the water would filter down to the cooler.

This has worked great for us for years. We take our redneck filter camping, out when we do Kettle Corn, etc. The kids like it because the spout on the cooler is at their height, and they can get clean, fresh water whenever they like.

To cool the water, I usually take an ice cream bucket, fill it halfway with the filtered water, stick it in the freezer overnight, and then put it back into the orange cooler to chill all the water. The igloo works so good, it keeps that water cold for up to 5-6 days!! And it's still clean water.

OK, now you know we are part redneck. But hey, we like it!

Mama Sita

« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 08:17:06 AM by Mama Sita »
"No one stands as tall as a Christian on his knees."
Get $5 off your first iHerb.com order: Code ISA141

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2006, 01:39:51 AM »
THANK YOU! This may be the perfect solution for us! You can call your self Redneck if you Like the term, but I think you are Creative! My husband will love the idea! Thanks again!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2006, 02:08:23 PM »
We call this our Redneck water filter, but I call it a lifesaver.

Where do you store it and how do you fill it?  Do you have it setting on something in order to make the spout, kid height?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline felmleyfam

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2006, 08:14:20 PM »
I have read and read about different water purifiers.  I even saw where Hallelujah Acres has changed their opinion on distilled water.  What kind do you use?  What does is remove?  Thanks for your help, I have just found this site and it is wonderful!

I am interested in seeing what hallelujah Acres has said but couldn't find it on their site. Could you help me? thank you...as my distiller is running in the background.
happy wife & momma ! When people say, "you have your hands full," I say, "and my heart!!!" It changes their negative attitude into a positive one in a few seconds flat

Offline Missy

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2006, 11:20:12 AM »
Have you all seen the Lexan Berkey Light for only $159 on www.berkeylight.net?  They also have free UPS Ground shipping. 

P.S. Somebody mentioned the questionable safety of Lexan and I also was wondering what that was.

Have a great day!

Missy

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2006, 12:01:40 PM »

Where do you store it and how do you fill it?  Do you have it setting on something in order to make the spout, kid height?

Ahh, yes, this has been tricky. Throughout our moves to different houses, we have stored it on a portable dishwasher, the countertop, and now, on top of a filing cabinet. I have an ice cream bucket underneath to catch the 'kid drips' and we keep a pizza pan with an edge on it directly underneath the igloo cooler. This catches extra water when we aren't thinking, pour water into our 5-gallon bucket on top, but forget that the orange cooler is still like halfway full. Then you get water dripping out of the airholes of the cooler,  down the sides and eventually pooling on the counter/floor. If you do this, make sure your igloo cooler is really low on water so you avoid this little mishap...

This thing has worked great for us for about 5 years now. In all that time, I have not replaced those ceramic filters once, but have cleaned them many times. All I do is take a green scrubby or a small veggie brush and gently (not too hard) scrub them clean. I have read somewhere that you are also supposed to put them in vinegar, slowly bring up the heat so as not to crack the ceramic, and this dissolves the extra lime inside the filters. I have never done this, but thinking maybe I should. Actually, it's probably time to replace those filters. Literally, hundreds of gallons of water have gone through those things.

If anybody knows how long those filters should last, can you post it here please?

Thanks,
Lisa
"No one stands as tall as a Christian on his knees."
Get $5 off your first iHerb.com order: Code ISA141

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2006, 01:03:47 PM »
Each of the black filters is good for 3000 gallons, so two filters in one unit would last 6000 gallons.  (I guess this is about 2 years??  Depends on the size of your family and drinking habits as well as whether you use it for drinking alone or cooking, too.  Either way, I guess you should probably replace them now.)  Also, this estimate is based on use with tap water.  If you are filtering pond water they would obviously need to be replaced sooner.

LEXAN:   the stuff they make bullet-proof glass out of.  Google it and you will find a controversy over whether or not it is safe for water storage, so you can make your own decision.  Companies who sell the stuff say that the temperatures at which it is compromised could not be reached without specifically aiming to do so, therefore regular use is fine.  (Then again, they are trying to sell it, right?)
  There is not a ton of hard evidence that this material is dangerous, either, but the risks mentioned were mainly ones that affect the reproductive system, so I figured I'd play it safe....I usually do - just the way I am.  Anyway, we got the largest Stainless steel unit and we love it.  It's the best water ever and cheaper than our old system, plus very convenient for the kids to help themselves.  (The water is so good, we even drink it at room temp without complaints!)  Just this week we were notified that our community would be without water temporarily because of a problem with the well-pumps and we have no worries because we have 6 gallons in the unit, plus 2 1/2 in glass jars in the fridge.  Good thing, B/C it's 90 degrees this week!                   ~L

Offline Missy

• Adept
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2006, 06:32:19 PM »

[There is not a ton of hard evidence that this material is dangerous, either, but the risks mentioned were mainly ones that affect the reproductive system...

Thanks for the information.  I did a search on google and found reports that Lexan does affect the reproductive system...and since I started the "Infertility Thread"...I figured it would not be a good idea.   ;)   We will probably be purchasing the Stainless Steel Berkey soon.  It is reported to be the best at removing unwanted chemicals and bacteria...and the price per gallon is far better than what we have now.  It is great to have recommendations on a product before taking the plunge and purchasing it! 

Offline mommyoftwins

• Adept
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2006, 04:29:24 PM »
We got a system called Aquathin. They have several different products, but we just got it for drinking water right now. We hope to add a whole house to get the chlorine out soon. They say they get EVERYTHING out. The guy that put ours in said that he does a lot of systems for people who use their lake for all of their water. So, if you can get pure water out of the lake...

Here is their website:  www.aquathin.com

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2006, 04:42:55 PM »
Have any of you looked at this water purification system? ???
www.johnellis.com
What is up with this? How do we know that altering the natural bend from 109 to  a bend of 114 is NOT harmful? You can treat a well one time and the water will be good for years?

Hoping that some of you have looked at this and can offer some insight. We know we need to do something about our water, but aren't comfortable with any system yet...

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2006, 05:34:14 PM »
Does anyone have a reccomendation for a water filter that is NOT huge? I had the money saved up for a good one like the Berkey Light, but the only place I have to store it would be the basement, and then I'd have to haul water down there and then haul it back up once it's filtered.  :P Unless I'm looking at it wrong or somehow I could hook it up to pipes but we're no plumbers.

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2006, 04:29:47 AM »
I have friends who use one by Lakota scientific (I think it's at lakotascientific.com) and they love it.  I believe it is more expensive, but it does attach to the pipes under the sink.  Sorry I don't have more details - we have the biggest filter berkey makes on our kitchen counter!! ;D    ~L

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2006, 09:35:58 AM »
I know it's not anyones first choice, but I thought this information may still come in handy for someone, somewhere, sometime.

Handy Farm Devices and How to Make Them (a wonderful on-line book!!)

Go about halfway down the page and you'll see "Filter for Cistern Water" and "A Handy Water Filter".

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2006, 02:15:02 PM »
Fascinating! Even I could make one of those. I'll have to send that to my dad, he's great at doing handy things like that. Does charcoal filter out chemicals? We don't have naturally dirty water, it's unnaturally dirty, meaning tap water treated with all kinds of chlorine and fluoride and stuff I never heard of. I'll have to keep reading.

Offline yoopermom2

• Learning
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2007, 07:30:48 AM »
Mommyoftwins,
This is very interesting.  I've been in search of a whole house water filtration system AND we live on the lake...so you're saying we could use the LAKE water for drinking with this system?  Do you do this? Wow, that would be great!  My husband will be checking this out!   Thanks for the info.

Also, I like the sites that people put up to research but I'm also very interested in what YOU have personally and how it's working for you.  Even if it's not a whole-house system, I'd like to hear about your experience.  Thanks.

Okay, ran that by my dh and being an environmental and civil engineer he said that he doesn't think that'd be up to "code."   :-\Taking lake water, personally filtering it and using it for drinking.  We'll focus on filtering our "city water" and go from there.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 04:44:17 PM by yoopermom2 »
Chris & Kelly with Jake 13, Hannah 12,
Emma 9, Daba 7, Nora 6, Tarike 3, Dade 2

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2007, 07:07:41 PM »
i like my Amway/quixtar filter system and replace it yearly for a little over $100.  so worth it to me not to have to lug water from the store.  tastes great! 

i have a  much older model, but here is what they sell now.

http://www.quixtar.com/products/product.aspx?itemno=100189

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2007, 10:10:38 AM »
Can someone please post what a Big Berkey (or size equivalent) looks like in a kitchen?

Do you put it on the counter?
I can't figure out where and how big this thing is!?!?!?

HELP

Nickole

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2007, 10:23:15 AM »
Can someone please post what a Big Berkey (or size equivalent) looks like in a kitchen?

Do you put it on the counter?
I can't figure out where and how big this thing is!?!?!?

HELP

Lemme see if this works.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 10:28:48 AM by Nickole »

Nickole

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2007, 10:26:59 AM »
Here is ours.  I tried to make the pic bigger but just double click on it.  I think it is very nice looking, and it fits nice right behind the sink so the spout can hang over so you can put a cup under it.  You need the spout to hang over something.   See my aloe plant and my Vinegar of the Four Thieves brewing?  And my sourdough starter?  I removed the whey I was making.  I thought, man, it's gonna look like I planted all this stuff for the pic!  ;D
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 10:44:12 AM by Nickole »

Nickole

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2007, 10:36:04 AM »
BTW, as far as I have found out, British Berkefeld is the Big Berkey, just under a different name, and cheaper.  I could not get a clear answer from anyone (I tried) as to what the difference is, so I went for cheaper.  They look exactly the same.  I got this from a guy off ebay, who was also selling Big Berkeys, for a lot more.  He just said "better quality steel" as the reason the Big Berkeys were more.  Like $100 more.  Um, I'll take cheaper.  I also recommend 4 filters instead of two.  It will filter quicker.  This is one of the best purchases we have ever made.           

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2007, 01:10:20 PM »
Wow!!

thank you Nicole. It does look like a managable size.
Where would you put it if you didn't have space behind the sink though?
Would it fit on the counter top underneath the counters?

Yes, I did notice the aloe and the COFFEE. tisk tisk.  ;) :D :D