Author Topic: Natural Treatments for Type 1 Diabetes  (Read 91634 times)

Offline Good day family

• Learning
    • Aholeleis
Natural Treatments for Type 1 Diabetes
« on: May 10, 2006, 02:26:40 PM »
Dear Katie~
        I grew up in California and now I live in Georgia~  I know what you mean- whew!  My 9 year old son just got diagnosed with type 1 diabetes...do you know ANYTHING that can help the beta cells of the pancreas to produce more insulin again?  Of course the doctors just give you the insulin (which I do praise God for) and tell you that they are "working" on a cure.  I've done some research, but I haven't come up with anything.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 04:44:58 AM by healthybratt »
http://aholeleis.blogspot.com/
From the burden I carried, now I am set free!  For JESUS has lifted my load!  Oh, the love and the grace I received in it's place~ when HE put my sins under the blood!

Offline Kati*did

• Master
Natural Treatments for Type 1 Diabetes
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 03:54:32 PM »
Hi Good day family (Amber)!

My diabetes is very mild...very controlable.  When I first got it, I was in Papua New Guinea (my parents were missionaries there), and I saw two doctors:  one American, one an Aussie who'd lived in PNG for years and worked in a hospital there.  The Aussie doc told me to eat carefully and exercise consistently and that I wouldn't have to go on insulin any time soon.  The American doc said I had to take insulin and "lower my sugar intake" a little.  Looking back, both my parents and I wish we had taken the Australian doc's advice.  Both doc's knew my pancreas was still giving a little insulin, but the American doc was so trained to give a "remedy" that would support a lifestyle instead of reccomending I change my habits.  What's done is done.  But to answer your question on the beta cells....  I don't think you can get any once the pancreas is stopped, but if it's still producing, I was told that insulin will generally cause it to stop.  It starts doing the job of the pancreas, and so the pancreas becomes lazy and slows down.  When I was first diagnosed, my dad made sure I was on a very low dose of insulin, walked a lot, and ate right so that my pancreas would keep doing what it could.  The only other thing that I know to be helpful to type I diabetics if they're having a hard time controlling blood sugars is a "Whole plant foods eaten whole" diet.  The place where my husband works right now is a Christian "wellness" center.  I actually met my husband here when I came here for a program which they call "NEWSTART" that addresses things like reversing diabetes.  It's focused on type II diabetics, but it did me a world of good.  I asked my doctor here if they feel that type I diabetes has a chance of being reversed at all,  and they told me there is a possibility if it's caught in the early stages.  I would really reccomend you call the NEWSTART program and ask them -- they'll answer more questions about it than I could, and tell you if it might work for your son.  Of course, that would involve eating the afore mentioned "whole plant foods..." diet.  I've done it for quite a while and -- never fear  :D -- it doesn't involve copious amounts of soy (or any if you don't want any).  Anyway, they have a website you can look at if you want to check it out:  www.newstart.com   The site looks like it's just for type II, but I did it.  Anyway...I hope that was a little bit helpful! ???

Katie
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 04:45:12 AM by healthybratt »
"...plain Kate, and bonny Kate, and sometimes Kate the curst..."

Offline dara

• Master
Re: Natural Treatments for Type 1 Diabetes
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 04:57:07 AM »
Katie- What does your whole food diet look like in comparison to the maker's diet? I am wondering if you try to keep fats at a minimum, and/or if you eat animal products. All the research I have done on treating type 2 diabetes with whole food diets were from the vegan standpoint.  Thanks for posting.
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline Good day family

• Learning
    • Aholeleis
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006, 06:14:40 AM »
Dear Katie~
        Thanks for the information... I went to the website, but I couldn't find out how to order (or look at) their diet plan.  Could you tell me what kinds of food they suggest, or is it too much to do over this kind of communication? ???  My son has had diabetes for a year now... for a while he didn't need much insulin (honeymoon period) but while we were on a 7 week trip to California and back, he needed more and more, and it was very hard to control.   :P  Now that we have been home again, his BS is easier to control, but he still needs more insulin than before we left.  :-\  I kept looking into different natural things to help him during this past year, but nothing has really helped yet.  I know that exercise seems to make him go low a lot, so if I know he's going to be real active that day, I don't give him as much insulin for some meals.  Some people have suggested an "Atkins type" diet for him, but that just doesn't seem healthy for a nine year old... :-\  We do walk a lot, but he can't go for a jog after every meal!  :D  Do you take insulin now?  Or do you just not eat any carbs?  Thanks for taking the time to answer my ?'s...
                                                                                      In Christ,
                                                                                  because of Christ,
                                                                                        ~Amber

From the burden I carried, now I am set free!  For JESUS has lifted my load!  Oh, the love and the grace I received in it's place~ when HE put my sins under the blood!

Offline thggls

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2006, 12:02:06 PM »
I do not have diabetes myself.  However, with my third pregnancy I was borderline gestational diabetes and have struggeld with blood sugar issues for the last 10 years.  I finally found a diet that helped me stabilize my blood sugar as well as identify a food sensitivty that seemed to cause many other problems for me.  I try to follow a diet outlined in a book called Nourishing Traditions by a woman named Sally Fallon.  It is based on the work of a man named Weston A. Price.  They also have a website full of free info. and recipes.   Before I was eating a vegetarian, low fat, grain based diet that was making me worse instead of better.  The Nourishing Traditions diet incorporates more natural animal fats from pasture fed animals, properly prepared grains as well as vegetables.  It has worked wonders for the health of our entire family.  We have not ever been healthier.  I am now on my fourth pregnancy and free of the health problems that have plagued me for years.  Hope that helps someone out there.  Also, their webiste does have more information on more natural treatments (food and nutriton) for diabetes. In further reading I have done recently there does seem to be a link in the amount of corn and corn derivatives in the typical American diet with the the ever-growing numbers of people with diabetes.
heidi
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 12:25:36 PM by healthybratt »

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2006, 12:27:03 PM »
The Maker's Diet and Nourishing Traditions sound very similar in nature.  Maybe you should look into the higher natural fats diets.  These are generally lower in carbs (naturally) which should help with your sugar levels.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2006, 12:30:53 PM »
Ok..I just wrote a huge reply and lost it, so this might not be as complete.   :P  Sorry it's taken me so long to reply!  About the Whole Plant Foods Eaten Whole diet and NEWSTART:  The diet is basically eating any plant foods in their unprocessed forms.  Things like flour (any ground grain) or blending are not considered "processed".  It's not a raw diet, but it is vegan.  You get all your fats from whole plant sources (avocados, nuts, olives...), all your sugars from fruits, and so forth.  All of your vitamins and other nutrients come from the plant foods, so you don't have to take any supplements unless you are completely vegan (which I'm not) -- and then you need to take B 12.  This diet has helped my overall health immensely.  The food store here at Weimar sells some books and videos that tell about what the NEWSTART program teaches (food and lifestyle).  I have never read or seen any of them, but you can find them at market@weimarmarket.com   The videos are by Dr. Milton Teske ("Reversing Diabetes" and "It's Your Life").  I know they have an actual book about the NEWSTART program, but I don't see it on there so you might have to call them (the store).   I'd really reccomend calling NEWSTART itself because they'll be able to tell you more than anyone who works at the store (and if you call the program for info, they won't give you an annoying, guilt-laden, sales pitch!!!!  ;D ).  The NEWSTART acronym stands for Nutrition, Exercise, Water, Sun, Temperance, Air, Rest, Trust (in divine power).  Basically, it's following the whole deal -- not just the diet -- that helps the diabetes.  Lifestyle.  I guess that's common sense, though!  ::)  Also...good call on the Atkins diet (not using it)!  That's one that every diabetic should stay away from as it's so hard on the kidneys and diabetics already have to deal with ketosis! 

Katie

Offline advancewithcourage

• Learning
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2006, 04:12:56 AM »
THe herb gynema sylvestra (spelling may be wrong?), is supposed to actually rebuild the pancreatic function - but I honestly don't have any personal experience with using it.

Offline lovey1029

• Learning
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2006, 08:21:04 AM »
It's great to hear from another Georgian!  We are in McDonough and are a family of 9.  Where do you live?  I have great news for you and your son's condition.  We have seen results with Type 1 Diabetes in children and adults that support their bodies ability to fight off disease.  The body requires certain nutrients in order to function properly beginning at the cell level.  Contact me directly to discuss this further.  We look forward to hearing from you.

Blessings,
Doug and Amy Stroup
sugarsthatheal at juno dot com
« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 02:32:45 PM by healthybratt »

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2006, 02:33:51 PM »
I just read that diabetes is an autoimmune disease that can be attributed to leaky gut.  This might be worth looking into.  Click here for more info on Leaky Gut Syndrome.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2006, 04:59:42 PM »
I found another really interesting article on Diabetes.  This includes possible treatments and even reversal treatments.  Definately worth a read.

http://www.naturalhealthteam.com/health_problems/diseases/12.htm
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2006, 05:56:27 PM »

Hi,

There is a book that is a MUST read for anyone with diabetes (type 1 or 2).  It's called The Diabetes Solution by Dr. Bernstein.  I think I paid $11 (that included shipping) from Amazon.com. 

Dr. Bernstein is a type 1 diabetic that was dying in his late (?) 30's because of the effects of type 1 diabetes.  He bagan doing research upon research and discovered that EVERYTHING the AMA teaches us about diabetes is wrong.  He was an engineer and couldn't get any doctor to listen to him so he went to medical school and became a doctor thinking he could change people's minds if they knew he was an MD.  Still no success.  He did find a few people to listen to him.   That's his short story. 

The gist of his research is that most type 1 diabetics when diagnosed still have some insulin function and if the pancreas gets REST then it can heal enough to limit the amount of insulin they have to take.  He covers everything you can imagine (from giving yourself shots to diet to how to take care of yourself wholly).  He has one chapter on PCOS because it is so related to insulin resistance. 

One of the biggest differences between his theory and the AMA is he says NO ONE (diabetic or not) should have a blood sugar greater then 80-85 at ALL times.  That means even 10 minutes after you eat.  He says the AMA standard of below 120 an hour after eating is what is causing all of the issues today.  I have been on his diet for 4 months now and I can already tell my body is healing quite well.  I'm not a type 2 diabetic but I am really fighting it.  My naturapath thought if I followed this guy's diet for 2yrs my pancreas will have healed enough to avoid diabetes.   I will say, I'll probably NEVER be able to have bread again.  It sends my sugar flying. 

Hope this helps and I would love to hear what you think if you read this book.  Even if you don't agree with everything he says, this guy has an excellent grasp on exactly how the pancreas works and how it affects diabetics. 

Patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2006, 07:34:41 AM »
There is a book that is a MUST read for anyone with diabetes (type 1 or 2).  It's called The Diabetes Solution by Dr. Bernstein.  I think I paid $11 (that included shipping) from Amazon.com. 

Here's his website.  diabetes-normalsugars.com
And Read the Book Online.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2006, 08:01:46 AM »
Another really good book that follows these same principals is "Protein Power".  This book is very good at explaining how regulating carbs will regulate your blood sugar. 

Most of the books I've read that follow these principals do not concern themselves with fat intake as the doctors have found that carbs contribute to these problems (diabetes, cholesterol, heart disease, etc.) more than fat, and fats are an essential part of the diet, but the types of fats need to be monitored more than the quantity.  You need omega 3s.  You need omega 3s.  I said it twice because it's in every piece of research I've done on just about every type of degenerative and autoimmune disease I've found.  You need omega 3s.

I really hope you find the answers you need from the resources available.  I couldn't imagine having to live with such a debilitating disease and to make matters worse, to live with it "thinking" there is no cure because mainstream medicine NEEDS people to be sick in order to justify their existence.  Okay, now I'm ranting, but after reading this thread last night, I actually got angry.  Modern medicine makes me madder and madder every time I find a new article or piece of research that supports these theories.  Sooooooo many people are suffering needlessly because of the constant drive to suppress and hide the truth.  Conspiracy theory?  You be the judge.   :-\ >:( ;D ;)

P.S.  If you don't hear from me after today, you'll know they found me.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 08:03:49 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2006, 05:53:01 AM »
Specific herbs may be added with liquid-kefir, and brewed towards maturation. Such procedures can be taken advantage of, in order to tailor-brew a specific kefir, intended for specific conditions. As an example, to relieve flatulence and to fortify gastric function, Caraway, Fennel and Anise seed and Cinnamon bark, can be ground to a powder, and added to fresh kefir, and then ripened at room temperature for 1 to 2 days, or longer. This form of kefir may be highly recommended for the prevention of, or to control Diabetes especially in Diabetes mellitus, due to the beneficial property of Cinnamon bark for Diabetics [23]. Another example is to ripen kefir for say 3 days either in the fridge, or at room temperature, with the addition of freshly bruised or pounded fresh Turmeric root, Ginger root, Corn silk, Olive leaf and Buchu leaf. This may assist in the prevention of, or as part treatment for cancer, to relieve prostate problems in men, Interstitial Cystitis in women including bladder infections in both sexes and gastric dysfunction.
from Dom's Kefir In-Site
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2006, 08:06:43 AM »
Hi Good Day Family,

I am so sorry to hear about your son - I am a Type 1 Diabetic (diagnosed in 1999) and have been completely insulin dependent the whole time (except for during the honeymoon period.)

I absolutely cannot recommend any more highly Dr. Bernstein's book and his theories.  Patti outlined his general viewpoint perfectly - Patti, your insistence on his book is well founded, I totally appreciate it.  This book will change your views- you will feel so enlightened, and if you try his methods, you will absolutely find it to work - without doubt!!  You CAN have predictable blood sugar levels and greatly reduce overall insulin injections by following his advice.  The book is very detailed and may at times seem complex, but I have found everything he states to be accurate.  One warning:  his views are not Christian - he recommends hypnosis to deal with sugar cravings!!   :o  So, you definitely have to eat the meat and spit out the bones, if you know what I mean!  Another warning is that you will have to hide your new knowledge from your son's doctor, they will not appreciate hearing any of it.  This part is frustrating because Bernstein will equip you to deal with your diabetes without any help from doctors, but you must have a doctor to write prescriptions!

Please get his book - it will really help you.  I am happy to help if you have specific questions, too.

Also, another thing that has been a HUGE key with me is simply remembering to check my sugars.  I am always forgetting and before I remember it again, it has been 5 hours since I ate and gave myself a shot.  >:(

The only thing that has helped in this arena is that I have bought a watch (Timex expedition indiglo, comes in lots of colors and sizes, has Velcro watch band, digital, Wal-mart.)  It has a "timer" feature on it.  As soon as I give myself a shot (before I eat) I immediately set my watch for 2 hours.  It will count down for me and beep - this has been invaluable, and I highly recommend it.  The more practical tools you can have to help you remember things, the better.

OK, Hope that helps, please get Bernstein's book!

Offline Good day family

• Learning
    • Aholeleis
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2007, 04:12:59 PM »
Hey!  This is too funny!  I have not checked this thread in several months....But about 1 hour ago, I finished reading Dr. Bernstein's book!  I had found it at the Goodwill on Saturday, and thought "maybe this guy will have some interesting advice".  Most of the info for diabetes is for type 2, so I am usually interested when I see something for type 1.
     We (me and my children) were already planning on doing a diet plan like this temporarily to try to kill off any "extra yeast", and then going to a very low carb diet for a while.  We don't really have yeast symptoms, but I thought it would be a good kind of cleansing anyway.  My son REALLY wants to get started so that he doesn't have to have so many shots!  ;) 
      I wonder though, about so MUCH protien (meats)  morning, noon, and night?!?  I am definately a meat eater, but that just seems like so much strain on all of the other organs...oh well,  I can keep praying about it.  I know that I have the One that will guide me into all truth, and I trust Him.  I'm sure we will do it for a time at least (I don't think short term will do any harm) and I know that he can have some whole grains when he is engaged in physical activity....which is pretty common for a 10 year old growing boy! 
     Thanks for all your advice!  If you think of us, please pray for God to fill me with His wisdom!  I know He promises it to me for the asking!  :)
                                                                  In Christ,
                                                             Amber (for all)

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2007, 06:41:38 PM »
i have been reading this thread for a friend who's son was diagnosed in Nov. with diabetes.  but i'm not sure which type.  i'm thinking type 1.  she said he came into the house one day and said "mom, i don't feel so good" and then collapsed.  she had to squeeze a juice box into him to bring him to.  so could someone enlighten me?  which type is this?  i think she said something about having to give him insulin too.  thanks, if i made any sense! 
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 04:36:03 AM by 4myhoonie »
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2007, 07:36:11 PM »
Every diabetics body reacts differantly to foods. So I can not say to do this or that diet because your sons body might not react like mine does. BUT I DO know that every diabetic has issues with carbs to some degree.

As an insuin resistant double brittle diabetic I have found that low carb raw food vegan works the best for me. But who can afford that diet? So I try to low carb it as much as I can and ALWAYS keep a carb juice or food around incase of sudden blood sugar lows.

Since your son is a type 1 Im almost certain he is on a fast acting insulin most likely novalog or humalog???? And fast acting insulin can cause sudden sugar drops.

I also have wanted to find herbs to repair the beta cells. No such luck so far.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2007, 01:27:54 AM »
Your friend's son has type 1 or what's called juvenile diabetes.  Please tell her to get the book The Diabetes Solution by Richard Bernstein.  This book will tell her how she can help to save what few beta cells he probably has functioning and keep his insulin requirements low.  Although I'm not techinically diabetic my pancreas was damaged so badly by pancreatitis that I'm extremely insulin resistant and really fighting not to become diabetic.  I totally cut out bread and pasta.  Occasionally I'll have a little bit of brown basmati rice.  That is really a key thing. 

HTH

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2007, 03:36:32 AM »
I wonder though, about so MUCH protien (meats)  morning, noon, and night?!?  I am definately a meat eater, but that just seems like so much strain on all of the other organs.

Hi Amber, I was thinking about what you said.  When I was eating low carb, I found that it was helpful to specify that I would only eat X amount of protein at each meal, and the rest would be veggies (not the starchy kind).  That way, I wouldn't be filling up on just protein, which I think can be harmful, especially if you are diabetic.  I ate huge amounts of veggies as salad and would put cheese and egg on them, as well, and it worked great (I would have chicken or something else for the main protein).  My blood sugars were phenomenal.  Anyway, I felt like the veggies gave me the balance I was needing. 

Also, as far as carbs go, I personally don't feel that all carbs are equal.  I have some that my body can't handle at all, and some that it can handle really well.  For instance, I have never had a high blood sugar from oatmeal.  In fact, when I eat oatmeal for breakfast, I have to take less insulin.  I also do well with apples.  Anyway...just some thoughts.   :)   I hope you find a plan that works well for your son!

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2007, 05:10:58 AM »
good morning! thanks so much gals.  i will pass on the info i've found on this thread for her.  she has so far just done everything the dr.'s a the children's hospital told her. 

so, exactly how does a person get this?  do you have any theories?  or have your dr.'s told you anything?  i would love to avoid this in my family if possible. 
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2007, 06:00:10 AM »
good morning! thanks so much gals.  i will pass on the info i've found on this thread for her.  she has so far just done everything the dr.'s a the children's hospital told her. 

so, exactly how does a person get this?  do you have any theories?  or have your dr.'s told you anything?  i would love to avoid this in my family if possible. 

Pretty much, Type 1 (Juvenile) is not lifestyle related.  Type 2 is completely lifestyle related (no exercise, junk food, etc).  No one in my family has Diabetes -- I got it from having malaria, which "attacked" my pancreas.  You can get it from having pancreatitis (like Patti was talking about), or anything else that might literally damage the function of your pancreas.

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2007, 07:12:39 AM »
huh  :-\  thanks, Kati.  i just can't understand it just coming out of nowhere for a child.  i appreciate your help.  thanks!

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2007, 07:33:24 AM »
I should have said that a lot of the time they believe it is genetic (which was why I mentioned that no one in my family has it).  Some doctors I knew who were  of a more preventative health persuasion believe that kids who are fed formula (especially soy-based and sugar laden) as infants are more likely to get Type 1.  I have the reason for this written down somewhere, but can't remember it off the top of my head.

These same doctors believe that (based on studies their organization has done) countries that consume the highest amounts of milk (pasteurized/homogonized) have the highest diabetes type 2 rates.  I think they're onto something, there, but where they blame it on milk in general, I would blame it on the pasteurization/homogonization.

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2007, 10:23:43 AM »
I am so glad that you found  this book - eye opener, huh?   So many things you will never hear from your regular doctor (wonderful at times, though they are!)

I have a few thoughts for you, most of them I learned from the Bernstein book, but I thought they applied directly to your  post.

First, if you are starting the no carb diet out of the blue, after having been accustomed to a high carb diet, your son is likely to have a lot of low blood sugars which may be discouraging in the beginning.  You are obviously going to have to adjust his insulin levels dramatically and he is probably not physically used to having normal blood sugars and this can cause his brain to tell him he is low when he is not - always check, don’t just give sugar if he “feels” low.  It can take a little adjustment period before his body will remember what it is like to have normal sugars, this can be frustrating.  You may consider coming down off the carbs in increments to alleviate this problem.

Also, he will probably not drastically reduce total shots taken, only the amount of insulin given in each shot.  And, of course, the less insulin that needs to be given overall, the better all the way around - that is a major part of the goal.  As the goal is to mimic a “normal,” non-diabetic body, this would indeed be manifested by frequent, small doses of insulin.  Remember Bernstein’s Law of  Small Numbers?  Small amounts of carb & small shots of insulin mean:  small errors (less dramatic lows and highs!) 

You mentioned giving your son grains when he was active, but I want to caution that, though this may work out in the end, please remember that most physical exercise (unless it is very aggressive) will actually increase blood sugars by mobilizing stored sugars.  So, blood glucose readings will be higher after exercise.  Grains will undoubtedly increase blood sugar as well, so I would probably start out with no grain when there will be activity until you know exactly how the exercise affects his sugars and how the grain affects his sugars.  (The benefit of exercise, for the diabetic, is a more long-term good, not necessarily an immediate improvement on blood sugars.)

Kati*did had a great encouragement:  experiment with different foods/grains and see how they do on your son!  Everyone is different, for sure!  I would probably wait until you have stabilized the diet/insulin regiment until you begin experiments, as this can add frustration to establishing the guidelines.  I personally do not eat grains.  They all raise my sugars considerably and cause me to have to take much more insulin overall.  I believe if I had a child, though, I would try to work in a little bit here and there, again, only after I had stabilized his diet and knew that I could objectively evaluate the effects of the new foods.

I also want to encourage you, when considering diet, to try to think outside the “meat” box as much as possible.  There are a myriad of ways to eat EGGS (scrambled, fried, omelets, oven-baked omelets, all the above with any sort of additive like cheese, spinach, peppers, mushrooms, bacon, sausage, etc.) CHEESE (block, shredded, ricotta (warm some in the microwave with a little stevia and some flax seed meal!), cream cheese (beat a little up with some eggs, vanilla and stevia  and fry in butter for little pancakes!), parmesan, VEGGIES (buy frozen spinach and add it to broth soups,  make cole slaw with cabbage, vinegar , mayo and stevia, & NUTS (make make nut butters and smother celery and carrots with it, eat it on a low carb cracker.)

I have found that keeping a list of the possible food items (along with their carb count) on the refrigerator or counter helps to solve those times of feeling like there is nothing to eat except salad and tuna!  Go to Bernsteins website and log into the forum - go to the recipe pages and print off all that you can that seem good.  These recipes may sound weird, but they may jog the creative juices!

Another thought that helps me:   The pain and suffering that is in store for the individual with abnormal blood sugars is not to be compared with any (real or imagined) negative effect of a high protein diet.  It only takes 7 years for high blood sugars to permanently damage the blood vessels in the eyes.  This is not to motivate with fear, but with confidence, knowing that you are dealing with the Known problem to the best of your ability and trusting God with any and all outcomes.  Try the no carb diet - if you cannot achieve normal sugars, do whatever you can to meet that goal.   If you have questions, I can certainly try to help if you want to PM me.

Fivewittletids:

Yes, I agree with the others on the Type 1 diagnosis of your friend’s little one.   If she passed out/fainted then it was the result of:  too much insulin given previously or a meal not taken on time.

Type 1 diabetes is usually diagnosed before 25 years of age and is characterized by a total dependency on insulin shots to live.  It develops quickly and dramatically - almost always involving hospitalization of some sort.  If I did not have insulin, even for ½ day, my blood sugars would begin climbing and I would not be able to stop them from climbing:  regardless of what I ate/ didn’t eat or any amount of exercise, teas, herbs, etc.  All persons require insulin, at all times, to live.   Most people don’t know this, but even when you do NOT eat anything you require a small amount of insulin!  Why?  It is the only way for your body to put glucose (not the enemy - all your muscles and your brain need this at all times or you will pass out!) in your muscle/brain cells.  The crux of the issue is that your body does not need carbohydrates or sugars in any form to make glucose.  God created the body with the ability to make glucose from proteins and fats!  Carbs are unnecessary for life.  Even if I do not eat any carbs (say 2 eggs, hardboiled) I must take insulin to cover the protein!  You can see why, then, that when we eat simple carbs, why our bodies really have to pump out the insulin to cover such burst of sugar.  The causes are unknown, there may be many triggers, but the knowns are:  the immune systems decides to attack the insulin-producing cells, rendering them lifeless.  Some babies are born fine and they develop it very soon afterward.  Almost always they are children of mothers who do NOT have diabetes.   Kati*did is right, there has been some connection with feeding practices of babies.  I thought I remembered it was wheat gluten - but I’m not sure either.  Most people endure this attack after a debilitating illness (just like Kati*did said!) or a stressful time, but it cannot be predicted, and it almost never happens after age 25.  So those who are going to get it, get it!  There are no logical genetic/relational links.  I can look back to all the generations that anyone knows about and no one- on either side of my family has had  type 1 diabetes.   The chances of my children having it are less than 5%.  Very much like the chances of  those without diabetes!

Type 2 diabetes is a lifestyle or genetic issue and develops over time.  The difference is that type 2’s still make insulin.  With youth obesity rates soaring, this is getting  diagnosed younger and younger, but it is still not type 1.  Controlling diet and increasing exercise can minimize this type of diabetes.  Many use different types of medications which do a great job of “solving “ their diabetes by sensitizing their body to their own insulin, or they will need insulin shots to help.  Basically, type 2 diabetics have “pooped out” their insulin-making cells by overuse, or have a lifestyle that makes it such that they do not respond properly to the insulin that they make.  The more weight you gain, the more insulin you must make.  The more carbs you eat, the more insulin you must make.  Many people, on diagnosis of type 2, can eliminate carbs, exercise, and hence require very little in the way of meds or insulin.  There is also a genetic predisposition to this type of diabetes, as many type 2’s are very thin, but their insulin-making cells just pooped out !  Truly not all Type 2’s are overeaters and lazy sloths!    Many of them just need to know that they are among those that cannot eat many carbs!  They make some insulin, and have to learn how to work with their bodies to make the best of it.

Sorry this post was so terribly long!

Hope that helps somebody,
Gigi

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2007, 10:53:00 AM »
That was an awesome post, Gigi!   8)

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2007, 12:52:01 PM »
That was an awesome post, Gigi!   8)

Thanks for the encouragement, girlfriend!!    ;D

Offline Good day family

• Learning
    • Aholeleis
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2007, 04:02:22 PM »
[

Also, as far as carbs go, I personally don't feel that all carbs are equal.  I have some that my body can't handle at all, and some that it can handle really well.  For instance, I have never had a high blood sugar from oatmeal.  In fact, when I eat oatmeal for breakfast, I have to take less insulin.  I also do well with apples.  Anyway...just some thoughts.   :)   I hope you find a plan that works well for your son!

I try to serve the  children oatmeal (w/ maybe a little honey)...makes my son's BS spike up to 200-300 and stay there all morning!  I wish oats worked for him like they do for you!  However, he had vegetable soup and an apple w/cashew butter (my favorite---I eat it every day and have for almost 3 years now)  and with the insulin to cover it, he went low after an hour!  We went to Longhorn steakhouse for lunch today and he drooled over his sisters hamburgers, but cheerfully ate his steak and salad.  (They all have sensitive hearts though, and each gave him some of their burger...w/out the bun of course  ;)  One of them even had bacon and cheese 8) )  I started taking his BS 1/2 hour after he eats, then another 1/2 hour, then another 1 hour, to see how the different foods are affecting him.  Usually his BS is near normal by the time the next meal comes around, but during those hours right after he eats, I noticed that he spikes up over 200 (sometimes over 300) ! :o  So...3 meals a day,  2-3 hours of high BS each time...sounds like it would cause problems! >:(  Anyway, back to the Longhorn...as we tested his BS each time after his meal,  it was around 115 every time!  Even the first 1/2 hour!  ;D  That is so neat to me!  Ya know, when he was first diagnosed, the doctors and nurses all gave me the impression that he could eat whatever he wanted and that all I would have to do is give him extra insulin (novolog) to cover the carbs!  Sure, if you don't take the BS until 5 hours later at the next meal, everything looks fine.  But I didn't realize that he was having 3 hours of high BS in the middle of that! :(  I know the doctor's are probably trying to make the kids feel "normal" and like they can still do all that they use to, (also they probably try not to overwhelm the mamas  :'( )  But I would've liked to have known this from the beginning!  Oh well, no sense fussing over the past now!  I am just thankful that God has given me the desire to learn all that I can to help my children....and He will keep teaching me and leading me in the way that is best for them!  What an awesome Father we have!  "He relieveth the fatherless and widow"

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2007, 04:39:01 PM »
[

I try to serve the  children oatmeal (w/ maybe a little honey)...makes my son's BS spike up to 200-300 and stay there all morning!

Honey is just like sugar to a diabetic, so that may be part of the problem.  A teaspoon will send my bloodsugar flying.  Another thing I've noticed for myself is that if I eat a carb with fat, the blood sugar doesn't go up as much.  I always put 1 to 1 1/2 Tbs. coconut oil on my oatmeal (and some chopped up apple).  Just a thought.  Also, cinnamon is supposed to really help lower blood sugars, so if you put a lot of that on...???   ;D

I think that the before/after testing you're doing with your son is awesome.  The program I went through that I mentioned earlier in this thread taught  the importance of that.  The doctor that I had while going through the program worked with me, first getting my regular bloodsugars regulated (typical before meal readings) and then getting the ones after the meal to a good level.  I agree with you -- that's so much harder to do!  I'm glad you're finding some things that work.  Like Gina mentioned, I also use raw nuts, eggs, and cheese for other proteins (for variety, and also so you don't feel "over-meated"   :D).  It's good hearing what you're doing for your son -- very inspiring to keep on my own course!  Thanks.