Author Topic: Herbal Education & Training Courses [Classes]  (Read 34611 times)

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
Re: Herbal Education & Training Courses [Classes]
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2007, 05:30:29 AM »
I believe Bulk Herb Store may be coming out with the Curriculum my mom wrote, sometime in the next year, but I'm not sure.

Gabe has mentioned an Herbal Curriculum that he thinks is really great, but right now I can't remember it. I like to study one herb at a time on the internet, just typing in the name of the herb in the search box, and reading as much as I can about it on the web. That way, I can study the herbs that are the most important to me first. I won't get any kind of degree this way though!

I'll ask Gabe about that curriculum.

Rebekah
Honey Sunny in complete exasperation:
"JOE!!! You DOUGHNUT COCONUT COCONUT COCONUT!!!"

Offline Rene

• Adept
  • Crucified with Christ! :)
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2007, 08:25:30 AM »
I believe Bulk Herb Store may be coming out with the Curriculum my mom wrote, sometime in the next year, but I'm not sure.

Oh!  I hope so!  Tell her there's a demand!  LOL

Rene'
(
  )
 (
__
\_/o   Rene' Helpmeet to Billy - 13  years!! Homeschooling Momma to Anna - 12, Melissa - 9, and Holly - 7

Offline AllinHisTime

• Adept
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2007, 08:42:07 AM »

Gabe has mentioned an Herbal Curriculum that he thinks is really great, but right now I can't remember it. I like to study one herb at a time on the internet, just typing in the name of the herb in the search box, and reading as much as I can about it on the web. That way, I can study the herbs that are the most important to me first. I won't get any kind of degree this way though!

Rebekah

I would love a curriculum from your Mom or anything you and Gabe mention!  your suggestions and research with our own has not failed us yet...of course, all the praise and glory belonging ultimately to Jesus!

I hear ya about not getting a degree by web-researching!  I've decided to get a huge 3-ring binder started and print off the most useful pages I can find available online and start keeping track of info that way.  One tab reading (Echinacea), etc... Do these curriculums mentioned include how to grow, harvest, dry, make tinctures or capsules, etc..???  That is the info I need the most.  From growing to using and beyond...or something like that :) 

A truth's initial commotion is directly proportional to how deeply the lie was believed...When a well packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.-- Dresden James

Offline havasmama_05

• Adept
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2007, 10:40:16 AM »
Thanks so much for the info. And I hope the Bulk Herb Store comes out with that herb curriculum too. I'm latching on to any hands on learning I can get. There's so much, I'm overwhelmed. Studying one herb at a time sounds like a great idea. I have to say, the info in BHS's catalog I got last month in the mail is what really made me feel like herbal care for my family is attainable for me  ;D. Thanks again!  ;D ;D ;D

BTW, which Shonda Parker book? What other books would anyone suggest? I've been checking out Penelope Ody. Any comments on her writings?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 11:04:57 AM by havasmama_05 »
My 4 yods, "Mama, do mommy cows have rutters?"

Offline havasmama_05

• Adept
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2007, 11:38:55 AM »

Shonda Parker's herbalist course:

The Naturally Healthy Family Home Study Course

James Green has a book called The Herbal Medicine Maker's Handbook that is an excellent book in making herbal medicine. It is not christian based.

If you want to grow your own herbs:

Growing 101 Herbs that Heal has detailed information for both the beginner and experienced gardener.

hth

Thanks again for the added info. I've got a couple of Shonda Parker's books, but never knew she had a study course. I'll look into that. And I'm adding the books to my list for an evening of reading and research at the local bookstore.

Offline havasmama_05

• Adept
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2007, 09:17:12 AM »

Gabe has mentioned an Herbal Curriculum that he thinks is really great, but right now I can't remember it. I'll ask Gabe about that curriculum.

Rebekah

Hey ForeverGirl, did you ask Gabe about the Herbal Curriculum? And is there any more info on the one your mom wrote? I'd be really interested if the BHS started selling it!!! ;) ;) ;)

Offline TNherbalmama

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2007, 05:47:04 AM »
I am pretty new here but wanted to add another course..
http://www.vintageremedies.com/pro.html

I am the author of the course. It includes all the mentioned topics and more.  :)

Offline libbyinglett

• Learning
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2007, 11:48:17 AM »
I am an RN but I have taken an indefinite leave-of-absence!  While I was going to nursing school, I worked part-time as a nursing assistant.  The job descriptions of different types of facilities are the same for a NA or patient care assistant as they are now called in som areas:  bath patients, assist with transfers from bed to chair, clean poop, and feed patients.  In a nursing home a na is very busy and has no exposure to other info.  In a hospital staff to patient ratios are better but you still don't learn much about health.  If nursing is something that you're interested in, I'd definitely encourage you to seek training as a nursing assistant so you can see what nurses do first hand.

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2007, 11:55:54 AM »
I  also would  enjoy an Herbal Curriculum  from Mrs pearl as well. I have enjoyed their herbal tea info  and other stuff in their materials.

Mr Gabe,  it appears there is a big wanting for an Herbal Curriculum around here!  :D ;)

Offline kerimae

• Learning
    • A Happy Home Media
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2007, 05:47:08 PM »
Here ia a great site to learn about herbs:  http://www.learningherbs.com/
The authors of the site are VERY encouraging, and begin right at "the beginning."  I haven't read their course books yet (one gives credit to mother Earth, which always bugs me about anything in the natural health realm) ::)

Also, I'd like to encourage you all just begin by learning what's growing in your own yard.  For example, dandelion.  Google that, and you'll find TONS of information nowadays about that particular "weed".  You can even find images easily.  It's just not that hard anymore to learn about just about anything.  And one of the best ways to learn anything is to just jump in and try something new.  Just my 2 pennies. :)

Keri
Happy help meet and mama of many, including one with Down Syndrome, looking to joyfully serve the Lord out of a happy home.

Offline havasmama_05

• Adept
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2007, 06:34:48 PM »
Here ia a great site to learn about herbs:  http://www.learningherbs.com/
The authors of the site are VERY encouraging, and begin right at "the beginning."  I haven't read their course books yet (one gives credit to mother Earth, which always bugs me about anything in the natural health realm) ::)

Also, I'd like to encourage you all just begin by learning what's growing in your own yard.  For example, dandelion.  Google that, and you'll find TONS of information nowadays about that particular "weed".  You can even find images easily.  It's just not that hard anymore to learn about just about anything.  And one of the best ways to learn anything is to just jump in and try something new.  Just my 2 pennies. :)

Keri

I found their site too. Great info and helpful gentleman. And yes, the mother earth stuff is aggravating  ::).

Offline havasmama_05

• Adept
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2007, 12:07:50 PM »
bump Gabe, bump  ;D

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2007, 10:07:53 AM »
~~~~~GABE~~~~~ I was also trying to get your attention on the main page. I would like to know about this also. Thanks. Blessings ~herbalmom

GABE

Sorry was trying to get your attention on the main page. ;) Would you share the curriculum you like?

Rebekah
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 09:40:48 AM by herbalmom »

Offline NotLuckyButBlessed

• Adept
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2008, 09:54:05 AM »
Did anyone ever hear anything from Gabe or BYGirl about what he recommends? Or anything more from Debi Pearl?  ::)
View my blog at www.ButIHadATiara.blogspot.com
(private, request an invite by messaging me:)

"Sometimes we fear that fighting for what is right will kill us. Then it occurs to us that to stand by and do nothing out of self-preservation is to be dead already". ~ Beth Moore

Mom to treasured XXXXYX

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2008, 08:55:06 AM »
Bump! I'd love to know about the curriculum too.
WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline NotLuckyButBlessed

• Adept
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2008, 10:40:33 AM »

I am the author of the course. It includes all the mentioned topics and more.  :)

I lookd at this course and it looks good. It would be nice to support another WT'er  :) Less money than some. Anyone else taken this yet? I wonder how it compares to Shonda Parker?
View my blog at www.ButIHadATiara.blogspot.com
(private, request an invite by messaging me:)

"Sometimes we fear that fighting for what is right will kill us. Then it occurs to us that to stand by and do nothing out of self-preservation is to be dead already". ~ Beth Moore

Mom to treasured XXXXYX

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Cassie

• Learning
  • Dandilions are a good sign
    • Sweet Like Honey
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2008, 02:53:06 PM »
I just started this course.  I like it.  It is challenging and helpful. 

I lookd at this course and it looks good. It would be nice to support another WT'er  :) Less money than some. Anyone else taken this yet? I wonder how it compares to Shonda Parker?
In Him,

Cassie

Wife to Rob '98, Mom to four Blessings here (Matthew '00, Christopher '01, Sarah '04, Laura '05) and 5 in heaven

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2008, 02:26:28 PM »
I started taking the basic "Family Herbalist" course by Dr. Christopher last month.  I don't agree with everything he teaches about diet (or rather, I think his studies about milk were based on homogonized, pasteurized stuff...in which case his findings were "accurate"  :D), but am finding it to be a great course herbally. 

All students of The School of Natural Healing (the name of his school) get a 10% discount on all Mountain Rose Herb orders throughout their enrollment.  I thought this was pretty cool. 

The school lets you get commissions when someone signs up for the course through you.  They also give family discounts when more than one person in a family (living in same home) wants to take the course for certification.

There is a number you can call to speak with a master herbalist if you have questions about stuff, and there is also an online kind of support place where you can talk to others taking the course.  These kinds of things are always helpful for me, so I was glad to know about that.

The last thing that I really found appealing about this course (and why I chose it, finally), is that the course I'm taking is only the basic level of a complete Master Herbalist program.  There are actually 3 levels of certification and the Family Herbalist is the first.  From there you can take courses gradually to get certification as Nutritional Herbalist and finally as Master Herbalist.  I like knowing I can use what I have and build on it.

I haven't gone into it far enough to give a more thorough report on what I think about the actual studies, but I'll post more later.     
"...plain Kate, and bonny Kate, and sometimes Kate the curst..."

Offline savedbygrace

• Adept
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2008, 09:40:07 AM »
I started taking the basic "Family Herbalist" course by Dr. Christopher last month. 
I haven't gone into it far enough to give a more thorough report on what I think about the actual studies, but I'll post more later.     

How are you liking this course? I have been wanting to take the course through Clayton College but the college is in Alabama and since I live in Alabama they wont let me take it!!

I have been considering Dr. Christophers course. Specifically the iridology studies. Do you like the classes so far?

Offline HappyWifey

• Adept
    • Rejoicing Evermore
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2008, 10:15:10 PM »
The video we lent you SBG was from the course (the one on childrens health) I really enjoy it and can't believe I left the videos in San Jose!

Dr. Christopher does have some REALLY wierd beliefs (Mormon) and he gets into that a lot in is older videos. The ones his son David Christopher and the Midwife (Iforget her name ) are the best so far!

Offline savedbygrace

• Adept
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2008, 05:05:09 PM »
The video we lent you SBG was from the course (the one on childrens health) I really enjoy it and can't believe I left the videos in San Jose!

Dr. Christopher does have some REALLY wierd beliefs (Mormon) and he gets into that a lot in is older videos. The ones his son David Christopher and the Midwife (Iforget her name ) are the best so far!

HI! Is your husband still taking the course? Has he gotten into the Iridology yet?

Offline daisey

• Master
  • Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2008, 06:28:21 AM »
Do you need to learn a lot of Latin names in these courses?   How hard are they?
Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side

Offline HappyWifey

• Adept
    • Rejoicing Evermore
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2008, 10:35:52 AM »
At the time my husband started to take the courses he was not saved, he spent a lot of time on them and then while going through the courses he got saved and decided to study the Bible instead. We have only the first course and we are missing a number of the videos as we give them away to people who needed them more than we. He never got to iridology. Iridology is a seperate course I belive.

My husband says that basically no because there was very little of the latin names. Most of the questions focused on how to use the herbs and what they are good for.

You can find more info at their website www.snh.cc

As a student you are allowed to call in to ask David Christopher questions on herbs and things and even though I wasn't a student, I was allowed to talk to someone because my husband is still considered a student even though it has been years. I think some places that sell Dr. Christophers formulas give special discounts to students also. We order all of Dr. Christophers herbs from wwwherbshopconnection.com and we are very pleased with them. They don't have the discount for the students but the membership is a better savings than the student savings at other places. We have saved hundreds of dollars by being members of The Herb Shopp Connection.

Dr. Christopher has a website with a lot of information and his herbal formulas www.herballegacy.com. We refer to this website ALL the time even though we now have his book on herbs.

HTH
Laura

Offline createddaisy

• Adept
« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2009, 08:38:23 AM »
I was going to post this in case someone else would be interested in it.
Dr. Christopher is offering his online course for Family Herbalist for $100.00.

Offline seekingtruth

• Adept
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2009, 06:25:10 AM »

Thanks for the tip.  That really is a good price.  I just spent some time looking into this yesterday and found that Shonda Parker is changing her herbal program and is offering a special until the end of the month.  It is another option to look into.

Here is a link http://www.naturallyhealthy.org/index.php

Thanks, Tammy

Offline createddaisy

• Adept
« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2009, 09:37:56 AM »

If you are going to do this could you use this link and sign up under me?
I get credit for it.  Just signed up to do this.
Thanks!
http://www.snh.cc/jamaffiliates/jrox.php?id=1027_4

Offline savedbygrace

• Adept
« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2009, 09:02:18 PM »

This course looks very interesting to me. Herbs from a Christian perspective. The above link doesnt work anymore so HERE is a working one.

Offline mommyoftwins

• Adept
« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2009, 12:29:20 PM »
Ack. This is a difficult decision! I have been reading over the posts on the herbalist courses from Shonda Parker & from Vintage Remedies. I'd like to see the differences in them. Is the VR Family Herbalist basically the same as Naturally Healthy's Certified Herbalist? Those are the 2 with similiar prices.

A friend of mine mentioned that she would like to be certified in case the FDA tried to start regulating herbs or herbal preparations. Anyone have any input about this? I haven't looked into it at all.

Offline Godismyjudge:)

• Adept
« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2009, 03:50:49 PM »
 I have to mention that I too took Dr. Christopher's Family Herbalist course.

I really enjoyed it, and would recommend it, and am hoping to become a Master Herbalist.
 The benefits of having a deeper understanding of herbs and how to use them and food to heal are things I've been using everyday.
 It takes three months to complete. Also, you can extend the time for an additional 3 months for $30. It comes with everything you need: two books and two study guides, 3 audio CDs, and two DVDs. You have phone support with very helpful Master Herbalists anytime you want, online help/discussion also.
 It's complete, practical, and easy to learn.

They also have many, many courses (in between) the Master's course you can take. Scholarships and payment plans are available also. The Master's course can take about four years to complete, but I know one MH that worked really hard on it every day and did it in a year!

As a Christian I need to say this: they do quote scripture, in context, but the founders do have a Mormon belief.

Hopes this helps. If you have any questions I can try to answer them  (;)) on here or you could PM me too.