Author Topic: Storing garlic  (Read 7482 times)

Offline khix

• Master
  • Forever changed, forever Yours!
Storing garlic
« on: January 17, 2007, 01:47:31 AM »
How do I store garlic bulbs?  At room temp or in the frig?  How long will it keep?

Also, just curious, does anyone know why garlic is sticky?
Save $5 on your first order at www.iHerb.com!  Use referral code HIC104.

www.campaignforliberty.com

freshisbest

Re: Storing garlic
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 02:54:12 AM »
I just used up the last small bulb from a bunch I got from our organic farm in August. It was stored in the fridge.

Offline khix

• Master
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 03:26:42 AM »
I just used up the last small bulb from a bunch I got from our organic farm in August. It was stored in the fridge.

Will it keep that long if I got the garlic from the grocery store?

And I'm still wondering about the stickiness!   ;)

freshisbest

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 07:56:37 AM »
Mine doesn't seem that sticky..?....I've been eating the clove
whole in the a.m. ( no more than 2 per day the book says)
but now cut it 1/2 or thirds with the skin on...so I'm not
so smelly!  I like to put on rubber gloves when cooking with
garlic or onion....

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 06:46:09 PM »
do you mean sticky in the GOOT?  or what.  i buy storebought garlic, keep it in the frig and use it up before it goes bad, but lately we've been making lots of GOOT so it hasnt' had to sit around long.  i think a month is plenty long to keep it in the frig and use it up.  i love it and always handle it with my hands.  SC said the good of it can be absorbed that way too.  that way i get the benefit of the garlic and never have to smear it all over me.   ;D 
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline WithLoveAndJoy

• Master
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 03:25:21 AM »
Khix....I think that a little bit of stickiness comes with the territory, as the garlic will weep its essential oils when it ages.  However, when the clove starts to get soft or smell off or discolor then you want to throw that garlic out.  By that point it is past its prime.

Keeping it in the fridge seems to help keep it fresh, but I find the best way for us is to keep an eye on how much we use and then buy it periodically instead of stocking up.
Visit my blog and see my deals for the week :)

http://homemakersresource.blogspot.com/

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 03:30:48 AM »
I know what you're talking about -- when I crush or cut a garlic clove both it, and my fingers, get sticky (if the clove is left intact it's not sticky). I don't know why it's sticky but I assumed it was just the "juice" from the garlic.
WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline khix

• Master
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 03:47:30 AM »
I know what you're talking about -- when I crush or cut a garlic clove both it, and my fingers, get sticky (if the clove is left intact it's not sticky). I don't know why it's sticky but I assumed it was just the "juice" from the garlic.
WR

Yes, that's exactly what I'm talking about!

And thanks to everyone for your help!   :)

Offline nowiknow

• Learning
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2007, 01:14:58 PM »
Here's another idea for storing garlic.

To preserve garlic cloves after they have been peeled, try placing them in a sealed jar and cover them with olive oil. They will stay fresh for three to four months.

Taken from this website:

-http://herbalnature.blogspot.com/2007/02/natural-herb-and-spice-food-facts.html

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2007, 01:37:30 PM »
Here's another idea for storing garlic.

To preserve garlic cloves after they have been peeled, try placing them in a sealed jar and cover them with olive oil. They will stay fresh for three to four months.

Taken from this website:

-http://herbalnature.blogspot.com/2007/02/natural-herb-and-spice-food-facts.html

If you do this make sure you keep them in the FRIDGE & make it in small quantities so you use it up quickly. You can get Botulism from garlic in oil. The oil seals off the oxygen  & garlic is low acid. Botulism grows at room temp in a low acid, oxygen free environment. The FDA has put out warnings about this. I don't pay attention to a lot of what they say but with this one it seems like a good idea to err on the side of caution. Blessings ~herbalmom
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 01:39:20 PM by herbalmom »

Offline DawnsEarlyBirds

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2007, 08:04:15 AM »
I was told/read the risk was samonella.  ????  All I know is to use caution when storing garlic in oil.  We generally use it up quickly.  I wonder if the coconut oil in GOOT makes a difference, or is the risk still there which is why we are told to refrigerate GOOT?

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2007, 12:18:50 PM »
I was told/read the risk was samonella.  ????  All I know is to use caution when storing garlic in oil.  We generally use it up quickly.  I wonder if the coconut oil in GOOT makes a difference, or is the risk still there which is why we are told to refrigerate GOOT?

The FDA warnings are about Botulism & I think the Botulism risk combined with the fact that the garlic is fresh, pureed & will spoil is why it's kept in the fridge. Garlic vinegar will keep on the shelf because it is acidic & the garlic is strained out but with GOOT it's pureed & oil is non acid. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom