Author Topic: Homemade Biscuits: Recipes, Tips, Variations, and Shortcuts  (Read 37485 times)

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
Homemade Biscuits: Recipes, Tips, Variations, and Shortcuts
« on: January 19, 2007, 11:31:04 AM »
I can't believe we don't have a biscuit thread on here.  :o Step right up all you Southern belles ;) and all  ;D
Here is my best wh. wh. recipe...
Southern Gal Biscuits
400* for 15-20 min.
I make 8 large biscuits
2 cups Wh. wh. flour ( really should be pastry- soft white)
3 tsp. baking powder (aluminum-free)
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup cold butter
Cut in butter until  mixture is fine crumbs. (I just work w/ my hands)
Add:
2/3 cup cultured buttermilk. Stir just until moistened. Turn out on to floured surface and knead (exactly) 10x. (believe me that is perfect ;) not too much or too little) or 3-4 turns in a Bosch. Pat/ roll lightly to about 1/2" ? and then fold in half. Pat lightly again. ~ this lets the baked biscuits separate into halves easily without crumbling~ Cut and place on greased pan. Brush tops w/ butter and bake until lightly brown or done to your satisfaction ;D then eat. :-*

Variation: Replace a little of the buttermilk w/ canned Jalepeno juice and add 1 tbsp. chopped jalepenos and 1/4- 1/2 cup grated cheese

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
Re: Homemade Biscuits: Recipes, Tips, Variations, and Shortcuts
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 11:32:56 AM »
Hey, I came looking for a biscuit thread because I want to know if it works to freeze them before baking. Do they need to be thawed at all before baking? Thanks :)

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 12:24:00 PM »
Hey, I came looking for a biscuit thread because I want to know if it works to freeze them before baking. Do they need to be thawed at all before baking? Thanks :)

Bake at normal temp until the dough is set & they are PALE tan, cool, freeze. When needed just cook (still frozen) in oven (or toaster oven) til golden. I think they actually taste better than fresh this way. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

freshisbest

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 01:10:49 PM »
Hooray! 100% whole wheat! Could I use plain yogurt ( maybe watered down?) instead of buttermilk do you think? I have that around more than buttermilk.

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 01:28:36 PM »
Hooray! 100% whole wheat! Could I use plain yogurt ( maybe watered down?) instead of buttermilk do you think? I have that around more than buttermilk.

or kefir?  funny, i have been going to ask you all for biscuit recipes for a long time!  wonderful! 

how does a person make buttermilk? 
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline likemanywaters

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 02:31:37 PM »
My version of the soaked biscuit recipe in Nourishing Traditions. Her recipe as written does NOT work so well, so I modified it to this with WONDERFUL results!

Whole Wheat "Kefirmilk" Biscuits

Combine & sit for 12-24 hrs:
3 1/2 c. freshly ground whole wheat flour (I use hard white wheat)
1 1/2 c. homemade Kefir (buttermilk or yogurt)

Poke holes in dough ball with fork.
Sprinkle on & knead in:
1 1/2 t. salt
2 t. baking soda
1 t. baking powder

(it's key to thoroughly knead in these BEFORE adding butter, otherwise your biscuits taste like soda on the surface & don't rise as well)

Knead in:
5-6 T. melted butter

Add a little extra flour to dough until not sticky.
Roll into small balls & press a little flat. Place close together in a pan or the middle of a baking sheet.

350 degrees for 35-40 min.

And, behold, the glory of the God of Israel came from the way of the east: and his voice was like a noise of many waters: and the earth shined with his glory.

-Ezekiel 43:2

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 02:48:04 PM »
Actually my homemade buttermilk is the same thickness as my yogurt if they are both shaken hard. I don't add gelatin or other thickener though.I think pl. yogurt would work ok. I have also used kefir, just cut back slightly on the amount. There is something about cultured whole milk buttermilk though that is just right and the biscuits turn out a little lighter and w/ better flavor.

Offline Sonja

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 02:49:40 PM »
This is freaky!  We all think too much alike.  I've mentioned before that it's amazing to me how many times I'll sit down to look for sometihng and it's right there as a current topic!

If you have the NGJ 2007 calendar, November has a YUMMY biscuit that is really more like dessert!  It's an interesting method of just piling the sugar, nuts, raisins and cinnamon on top of the "biscuit mix" and folding/kneading it in.  I used whole wheat flour with substitutions for self-rising flour.  I also cut the glaze recipe in half and had plenty.  It truly was our dessert last night!  I'm not sure if it's okay to post it on here.  I looked for it at the NGJ website, but didn't find it.  I'd be happy to post it, if it's okay (anyone know?).

BTW, I LOVE the new calendar.  It gives you such great "hands-on" things for you and your kids.....good for those of us who aren't creative and aren't natural "players".  If you don't have one, I recommend getting it!  :)

Sonja

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2007, 03:50:45 PM »

www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,975.0html
You can cheat, by putting a Tablespoon of vinegar in a cup of milk and let it stand for 10 minutes.  I do this all the time.  ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline PrairieSunrise

• Learning
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2007, 04:28:18 PM »
My Mom made up an recipie that would grow and shrink with our family. I think it's the BEST biscuits ever!

For every 1 cup of flour (bread or all purpose) add...

1 teaspoon baking powder *
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon baking soda (for buttermilk biscuits ONLY)
Milk

Mix the dry ingredients. Cut in butter.  Stir in milk till it's the right consistency! It should be rather soggy. If you take a spoon full it should kind'a 'plop' off the spoon into the bowl if you flip the spoon over.

Flip onto generously floured surface and knead lightly. About 1 minute.  Roll out too 1/2 inch thick and cut into squares. Place squares on baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees till golden brown. About 20 minutes for two cookie sheets. Brush with butter and enjoy!

*Increase gradually. We make a 5-6 cup batch usually so rather than just adding 5-6 teaspoons of baking powder we add 6-7.

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2007, 04:39:14 PM »

You can cheat, by putting a Tablespoon of vinegar in a cup of milk and let it stand for 10 minutes.  I do this all the time.  ;D
Me too. Only I use lemon juice instead of vinegar.
WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2007, 07:14:00 PM »

;D ha ha!  silly me, i never thought to try until reading this thread, then when i got on tonight, it was on the home page.  thanks! 
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline MrsUkraineBible

• Learning
  • traditional Ukrainian cottage
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2008, 05:53:34 AM »
Anybody have a recipe for good biscuits that doesn't call for baking powder?
Check out our blog to learn more about us and our ministry: www.bibleua.com

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2008, 06:04:06 AM »
LOL, I just made biscuits yesterday and tried baking soda and kefir instead of BP. They turned out better than any biscuits I've ever made - light and fluffy!

Kefir Biscuits:

Mix:
2 cps flour (wheat or white or mixed)
1/2 tsp. salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
Cut in:
1/2 cup shortening (I used half butter and half olive oil)
With a fork, stir in:
Kefir milk until the right consistency. (about 1 cup) (buttermilk should also work fine.)

Heat pan in oven at 350 degrees with butter or oil in the bottom of the pan for 5 minutes. I used a non-stick cake pan.

Pour biscuit dough onto heavily floured surface. Sprinkle flour on top of dough and pat dough down to desired thickness (about an inch). Use cut out biscuits with flour cup or cutter. Transfer to hot pan (place in the oil/butter) with a spatula. Makes 12- 14 biscuits/one cake pan full. Bake until golden brown.

Beka

Honey Sunny in complete exasperation:
"JOE!!! You DOUGHNUT COCONUT COCONUT COCONUT!!!"

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2008, 06:18:57 AM »
 :D I didn't look at the rest of this thread before posting. It looks like lots of people have nearly the same recipe as mine - I just left out the BP. Well, it worked fine for me. Hope it turns out for you!

Beka
Honey Sunny in complete exasperation:
"JOE!!! You DOUGHNUT COCONUT COCONUT COCONUT!!!"

Offline Leat

• Adept
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2008, 11:24:09 AM »
Here is the biscuit recipe I always use.

Basic Biscuits

2 cups flour
3 teaspoons sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shortening
1 egg
2/3 cup milk
1 tablespoon honey

In mixing bowl,combine first four ingredients. Cut in shortening till resembles coarse crumbles. Add egg,milk,and honey. Stir to just combined. turn out onto floured surface. Knead 3-4 times. roll out to 1/2 thickness. cut with biscuit cutter and place on ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 425 for 12-15 minutes.

For quick and easy cinnamon rolls, roll dough into a rectangle;spread with melted butter,sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar mixture. Roll up ;cut slices with dental floss. Place on baking sheet and bake as above.  while baking, in a small bowl combine 3/4 cup powdered sugar,1 teaspoon vanilla,and 2-3 tablespoons either milk OR orange juice. Stir to desired consistency.  When rolls are done,transfer so serving plate and drizzle with icing.

Leat

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2008, 12:07:16 PM »
Here's mine:

2 cups flour
1TBSP baking powder
1 tsp sea salt
pinch of soda (only if using kefir or buttermilk)
1/3 cup soft butter or VCO
Enough kefir or milk to achieve desired consistency -- maybe 1 cup or more

With a wire whisk, combine the flour, bp, bs, and salt. Add butter (or VCO) and "cut" it in with the whisk. Make a well in the flour mixture and pour kefir into it and combine, kneed, etc. LOL.

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline hedy

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2008, 12:19:20 PM »
Biscuits made with kefir or raw milk that has gone sour are a staple around here. A quick tip for cutting them: pat biscuit dough into a round circle about an inch thick right on the baking sheet. Then cut into pie-shaped wedges with a knife and bake. Now you have "scones." Super fast and easy.

Offline Maria/NHM

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2008, 02:48:07 PM »
Are you guys using whole wheat flour? I can make great biscuits if I soak the dough for 12 hrs but if I try and make quick biscuits they turn out awful!
My Blog
http://naturallyhealthymommy.blogspot.com/
Learning and sharing about nutrition and herbs
My user name used to be Ella :)

Offline hedy

• Adept
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2008, 11:24:18 AM »
Are you guys using whole wheat flour? I can make great biscuits if I soak the dough for 12 hrs but if I try and make quick biscuits they turn out awful!

I usually do half wheat and half white.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2008, 01:22:59 PM »
:D I didn't look at the rest of this thread before posting. It looks like lots of people have nearly the same recipe as mine - I just left out the BP. Well, it worked fine for me. Hope it turns out for you!

Beka
I use the recipe in the Better Homes Cookbook for drop/buttermilk variety biscuits which has both BP and BS in it, but I use kefir when I have it (yum) and fake buttermilk (milk & vinegar) when I don't.  Very good.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline mauimom

• Adept
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2008, 03:56:36 PM »
I couldn't resist posting my recipe for biscuits!!! These are so good!!  The best I've ever tried.  The recipe is similar to the others posted, except for one ingredient!!  ::)

Cream Biscuits

2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp baking powder
2 tsp sugar
1- 11/2 cups of heavy cream
6 Tbsp butter, melted

Preheat oven to 425.  Use an ungreased baking sheet, I use my pizza stone.
Combine flour, salt, baking powder and sugar in bowl.  Stir the dry ingredients with a fork to blend and lighten.  Slowly add 1 cup of the cream to the mixture stirring constantly.  Gather the dough together; when it holds together and feels tender, it is ready to knead.  But if it seems shaggy and pieces are dry and falling away, then slowly add enough additional cream to make the dough hold together.
Place the dough on a lightly floured board and knead the dough for 1 minute.  Pat the dough into a square about 1/2 inch thick.  Cut into 12 squares and dip each into the melted butter so all sides are coated.  Place the biscuits 2 inches apart on the baking sheet.  Bake for about 15 minutes or until they are lightly browned.

I have made this and added cheese to make cheese biscuits.  Dh loves them this way.

Offline FindingMe

• Adept
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2008, 10:26:58 AM »
I couldn't resist posting my recipe for biscuits!!! These are so good!!  The best I've ever tried.  The recipe is similar to the others posted, except for one ingredient!!  ::)

Cream Biscuits

I want to try this recipe, but the recipe didn't specify what kind of flour is used. Everytime I make biscuits with whole wheat, they are less than a hit around here, to put it mildly. Has anyone tried the Cream Biscuits with WW... with success? (As in, less than health-minded people like them, too?)

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2008, 12:04:14 PM »
I want to try this recipe, but the recipe didn't specify what kind of flour is used. Everytime I make biscuits with whole wheat, they are less than a hit around here, to put it mildly. Has anyone tried the Cream Biscuits with WW... with success? (As in, less than health-minded people like them, too?)

I'm not the MauiMom, but I have had some that turn their noses up to WW biscuits in my crew.  I would recommend making them with half WW and half white flour at first and then, over time, gradually increasing the amount of WW flour.  This has worked well for us - though we do had setbacks if those who are partial to white flour baking get a taste of the 100% white biscuits very often.  Seems to re-set the 'weaning' process...
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2008, 05:43:30 AM »
I've never used home ground wheat flour, but i have substituted wheat flour from the store in my recipe with no complaints.  I don't know how much difference there is in flavor/texture, etc.  But this worked ok for us.  I also subbed kefir or faux buttermilk for milk in our recipes and this makes them more crisp and delicious.

I use the recipe in Better Homes and Gardens for drop/buttermilk biscuits.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline refreshed

• Adept
    • Haven Baptist Fellowship
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2008, 09:48:09 PM »
My recipe is from a cookbook I got when I moved out of the house called "Where's Mom Now That I Need Her?"  It is great for those who don't know how to cook very well (that was me!).  I have altered the recipe a little to fit my son's allergies.  We really like it.

Rich Buttermilk Biscuits

1 C. sifted flour (white or whole wheat)
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder (I double it for our high altitude)
1/8 tsp. baking soda
1/8 C. shortening (I use oil)
1/2 C. milk (I use rice milk or water)
1 tsp. lemon juice or vinegar
2 Tbsp. sugar

Sift together flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda; cut in shortening.  Combine milk and lemon juice or vinegar; stir into flour mixture to make a soft dough.  Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead until soft and elastic.  Roll into a rectangle, about 1/2" thick; cut into biscuits.  Place on ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 450 F for 8-10 minutes.
Makes about 1 dozen medium-sized biscuits.

Just a note:  if you make these with whole wheat flour, you will have to add more liquid.  I didn't know that when I first started cooking with whole wheat, so I thought I would add that.
Check out our family's and church website:
www.havenbaptistfellowship.com

For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. (Rom 6:23)

Offline mom24boys

• Adept
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2008, 01:19:10 AM »
for those of you who use a baking stone for their biscuits...
Do you heat the stone first, you know, before you put the biscuits on?
I am new to a stone but not to biscuits.

burlsgirl

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2008, 01:36:19 AM »

I use my stone for everything, including my biscuits (recipe's on here somewhere). I've never heated it for anything.

HTH,
Emily

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2008, 12:31:49 PM »

I use my stone for everything, including my biscuits (recipe's on here somewhere). I've never heated it for anything.

HTH,
Emily
Ditto.  Although, I've made a 2nd batch of biscuits/cookies on a hot stone and had no problems with that either.  I think it makes no difference really.  ;D
  My favorite herb book!!