Author Topic: Borax and Toxicity  (Read 16443 times)

Offline Danswifey

• Learning
Borax and Toxicity
« on: January 25, 2007, 08:05:23 AM »
I read somewhere that borax was banned in some European country.  I know that's not very specific but I can't remember the details.  And on the wikipedia page it says it can be toxic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borax

I know some are using it in the dishwasher and I'm concerned about the build up on dishes accumulating, etc.  Just wanted to post this info.

Offline mommyof3

• Adept
    • Discovery Toys
Re: Borax and Toxicity
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 08:19:12 AM »
I was also wondering how safe is Borax, really??? Does anyone know the list of ingredients in it?? By the uses it sounds like it does the same thing baking soda does ???  If thats true, then why use the Borax?? I'm still thinking of trying to make my own laundry detergent, I just want to be sure its truly safe and also won't cause skin irratations  :-\

Offline sweetestday

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 11:06:11 AM »
I could be wrong, but I think the active ingredient in Terro ( is that how you spell the ant poison?) is borax. And it gives strict directions about how to dispose of the bottle, and tells you not to get any on your skin. I'll have to go home and check again.

Offline grocerygetter

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 01:45:28 AM »
I know when we had an infestation of fleas in an old apartment the "bug man" told us to put Borax down in the cracks of the hard wood floor to kill them. I never really asked why the Borax killed them though...Hmmm makes me wonder. Anybody know??

Offline grocerygetter

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 01:56:18 AM »
I found the following on beyondpesticides.org under Borax and toxicity. I'm not sure how helpful this is but it was a start. I'm wondering how much boric acid Borax is compared with the amount they're talking about in this article.

However, while boric acid has become one of the chemicals of choice for many urban pest control programs, it can be toxic. EPA considers boric acid as a moderately acutely toxic due to acute effects including oral and dermal toxicity, and eye and skin irritation. EPA’s reregistration document states that a subchronic borax feeding study using dogs resulted in blood and metabolism disorders as well as effects to the testes, endocrine system, brain weight, and size ratios among various organs and glands. In chronic oncogenicity studies using mice, rats and beagle dogs, boric acid and borax were found not to be carcinogenic; however, testicular effects and decreases in body weight resulted at high dose levels. EPA has classified boric acid as a “Group E” carcinogen, indicating that it shows “evidence of noncarcinogenicity” for humans. In reproductive and developmental toxicity studies using rats, mice and rabbits, maternal liver and kidney effects and decreased weight gain as well as decreased fetal body weights were observed. In two studies, at the highest dose levels, no litters were produced. Prenatal mortality occurred at the highest dose levels in the rabbit study. Boric acid does not cause mutagenicity (U.S. EPA 1993). 

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 02:22:38 AM »
I know when we had an infestation of fleas in an old apartment the "bug man" told us to put Borax down in the cracks of the hard wood floor to kill them. I never really asked why the Borax killed them though...Hmmm makes me wonder. Anybody know??
It affects the central nervous system of bugs and their water dwelling counterparts, lobsters, crabs, crayfish, etc. Many people spread it under their house to prevent bug infestation, and some insulations are treated with it.

It is supposedly not dangerous to humans unless you sit down and eat it by the pound, and even then it may or may not harm you. So I'm not concerned in the least about using it. Though I wouldn't put it out where my baby might get it in their mouth, but I wouldn't do that with baking soda either.

WR
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 06:41:48 AM by Whiterock »
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline daisey

• Master
  • Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 08:30:33 AM »
Hulda Clark recommends Borax in her book The Cure for All Cancers  I guess I felt she wouldn't recommend it if there was any harm in using it.   She always uses it very diluted so I assume when used properly there shouldn't be a problem.    Guess we all need to use the common sense God gave us regarding any of the things we read here.   HTH
Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 08:47:14 AM »
I was googling about homemade cleaners and came across this.

Risks Associated with Borax  Borax is non-flammable and non-reactive.  It can be mixed with almost any other household chemical (though we don't suggest experimentation).  However, like many other household cleaning products borax is poisonous.  It can be used to kill roaches, ants and fleas.  More than 5 grams can also kill a child and cause severe health problems or death in adults.  Rinse all surfaces well after using borax, and do not use around food.

Do we still want to use this in homemade cleaners and laundry soap?  What do you think.
Proverbs 31:26
"She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness."

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2008, 05:43:18 AM »
I don't for that very reason!! Just cause grandma cleaned w/ it doesn't make it safe :)

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2008, 08:47:26 AM »
I was googling about homemade cleaners and came across this.

Risks Associated with Borax  Borax is non-flammable and non-reactive.  It can be mixed with almost any other household chemical (though we don't suggest experimentation).  However, like many other household cleaning products borax is poisonous.  It can be used to kill roaches, ants and fleas.  More than 5 grams can also kill a child and cause severe health problems or death in adults.  Rinse all surfaces well after using borax, and do not use around food.

Do we still want to use this in homemade cleaners and laundry soap?  What do you think.
I just measured out some Borax. 5 grams is the least my scale weighs, and it was more than a tbsp... That's would be some serious eating for a child to consume that much. I still keep my homemade cleaners and such out of reach...
To put this in perspective, baking soda can also kill and cause severe health problems and skin irritation.  ;) Salt too...
 I think Borax is ok used in moderation and with common sense. Baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) is way cheaper for me by the 50lbs at the feedstore, so I use the b. soda more frequently.