Author Topic: Coconut Meat, Milk and Water: Finding & Preparing  (Read 9499 times)

Offline daisey

• Master
  • Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side
Coconut Meat, Milk and Water: Finding & Preparing
« on: February 01, 2007, 02:58:14 PM »
I am really interested in the coconut Kefir but there is no way I will ever get a green coconut where I live.   I will have to order canned coconut water on line so if anybody know whether this will work I would really appreciate knowing.
Thanks in advance.
Daisey
Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 03:06:05 PM »
I am really interested in the coconut Kefir but there is no way I will ever get a green coconut where I live.   I will have to order canned coconut water on line so if anybody know whether this will work I would really appreciate knowing.
Thanks in advance.
Daisey

Could you buy a regular store bought coconut and just drain the water out of it?

Offline daisey

• Master
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 07:04:02 AM »
healthyinOhil
I guess I am somewhat confused because in the articles I have read it seems there is a difference between coconut milk and coconut water.   When you buy a regular coconut in the supermarket don't you get milky white liquid out of it?  (thus coconut milk)    I assumed that a green coconut hadn't produced the milk yet and was just a clear watery substance that is called coconut water.   Anybody know anything about this.    ???    Living in Northern Minnesota we don't really know much about those wonderful tropical fruits.   :)    I envy people who can go out and pick grapefruit and oranges off their trees.   We have a hard time getting apples to grow.   :-\
Thanks all.
Disey

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 09:41:12 AM »
healthyinOhil
I guess I am somewhat confused because in the articles I have read it seems there is a difference between coconut milk and coconut water.   

Yes, there is a difference.  When you poke the two or three holes in the top of your coconut and let it drain it is the "water"

How to Crack Those Coconuts

First, remove the 1½ to 2 cups of water inside the young coconut and use it to make kefir. To do this, lay the coconut on its side and shave several layers off the bottom until a circle appears. If you keep on shaving, two more circles will appear and you'll have what looks like a face with two eyes and a mouth. Place the young coconut in your kitchen drain so that the point fits into the drain. (This just holds the coconut steady.) Take a sharp object like a carrot peeler or apple corer and poke it through the bigger (mouth) hole. Rout out the hole, making it bigger, and then flip the coconut over onto a glass jar to let the water pour out

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 05:55:17 PM »
And I think that coconut milk comes from grinding the coconut meat.
WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline daisey

• Master
Re: Coconut Meat, Milk and Water: Finding & Preparing
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2007, 11:21:51 AM »
Thanks for the info.   I will look in the store the next time I go and see if I can get a couple of coconuts.   At -29 degrees out it will probably be a couple of days before I venture out.     :-\

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2007, 12:37:05 PM »
I never knew the difference between coconut milk or water either!  I found this article helpful:
Coconut milk vs. coconut cream vs. coconut water

Posted May 6th 2006 7:01AM by Nicole Weston
Filed under: Nuts/seeds, Fruit, Did you know?

When you hear the phrase "coconut milk," the image that might stick in your mind is the juice that is found inside the center of a coconut. At least, that is what most people assume that it is. Actually, the liquid endosperm inside a young coconut is known as coconut water. It is fat free and low in calories, but is a good source of potassium and other nutrients.

Coconut milk is made by pureeing a mixture of coconut meat and water, then straining it to remove some of the fat. A second straining will yield a lower fat coconut milk. Coconut cream is made in the same way as coconut milk, but it is made with a higher ratio of coconut to water. Sometimes, coconut cream will form on the top of canned coconut milk. The two are pretty much interchangeable in recipes, though they have slightly different consistencies. For the curious, some other drinks, such as almond milk, are made in the same way.

Cream of coconut is not the same as coconut cream. It is the creamy liquid often added to pina coladas (and various other drinks and dishes). Though it starts out as coconut cream, sugars and stabilizers are added to give it an especially creamy consistency and to make it more palate-pleasing in drinks and desserts.

From here:  http://www.slashfood.com/2006/05/06/coconut-milk-vs-coconut-cream-vs-coconut-water/

Also, from another article:

Coconut water is one of the highest sources of electrolytes known to man. It's a natural isotonic beverage, with the same level of electrolytic balance as we have in our blood. However, coconut water contains less sodium, more potassium, more magnesium and has added medicinal benefits. At the proper stage it contains about 5% sugar and vitamin C ranging from 2.2 to 3.7 mg./100ml.5

From here:  http://www.youngcoconutwater.com/

So coconut kefir must be something else!  We actually have canned, unsweetened coconut water at our health food store, but it has lime juice added, so I don't know if that would work for kefir.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 12:38:37 PM by Kati*did »
"...plain Kate, and bonny Kate, and sometimes Kate the curst..."

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2007, 12:47:25 PM »
The coconut water I usually use comes from what are called Young Coconuts.  They look nothing like the coconuts you usually see.  They are about the same size but they are white and sort of round at the bottom and pointed at the top.  They have 3 eyes.  Poke one out and drain the "water".  This is supposed to be extremely nutritious.  The best way I have discovered to open one of these to get the meat out is to put it into 2 plastic grocery bags and whack about 4 or 5 times on concrete.  This cracks them enough to open them up.  The meat of a young coconut is really tasty.  Its more gelatinous than a old coconut.  Really creamy and good.  It scoops out easier than the other kind.  I have been able to find these at both Asian and Mexican markets.  They often have a little pink mold on the outside but that doesn't usually get inside.  I always look at the meat though before I drink the water just to be sure.  I give this water to my kids when they are sick in place of Gatorade or pedialyte.  I have never read that that is a real use for it but since it has so many electrolytes it seems like it would be a good alternative and it certainly doesn't seem to hurt them.

Offline daisey

• Master
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2007, 12:56:30 PM »
So~~~~~do you think 'young' coconuts are just immature coconuts?   Would that water out of the mature coconut qualify as young coconut water?    I guess maybe I will just try making the Kefir out of the coconut that I can find in this isolated spot and see how it goes.   I will let you know the results.
Thanks for all the help.

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2007, 01:38:39 PM »
I think the water in young coconuts is the best.  I'm not sure why but that's what I've heard.  Yes, Young coconuts are immature coconuts, in fact, under the white stuff there is a husky sort of layer that I think is what shows on the outside of a mature coconut.

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2007, 02:27:24 PM »
I love coconut!  I never knew there was coconut flour.  Has anyone used this before?  Did you like it?  It was recommended on Mercola.com as a gluten-free option (among other things).  It is also said to be really good for use by diabetics and people on Candida/Leaky Gut "diets" because it's really high fiber, but has a low glycemic index. 

Offline Myjoy

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2007, 03:16:56 PM »
You can learn a lot about coconut and its benefits on wildernessfamilynaturals.com. They have a bunch of coconut products, among them, coconut flour, coconut milk, coconut cream, etc.

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2007, 03:39:44 PM »
You can learn a lot about coconut and its benefits on wildernessfamilynaturals.com. They have a bunch of coconut products, among them, coconut flour, coconut milk, coconut cream, etc.
That's actually where I read a lot of stuff.  :D

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2007, 04:13:48 PM »
I love coconut!  I never knew there was coconut flour.  Has anyone used this before?  Did you like it? 

I have heard of it, but never have seen packaged coconut flour in the store.  What I have done is grind my dried coconut in a coffee grinder to get a real fine flour and add that to my baked goods.  My hubby, and especially, my son hate the taste of coconut chunks.  So, I add about half a cup or more to muffins, bread, etc. for extra fiber.  Coconut has a TON of fiber in it.  You can barely taste the coconut in it this way.  But I like coconut, so I would make a coconut bread with coconut flour, and coconut chunks, and coconut milk, with coconut....... ;D

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2007, 06:04:16 PM »
I love coconut!  I never knew there was coconut flour.  Has anyone used this before?  Did you like it? 

I have heard of it, but never have seen packaged coconut flour in the store.  What I have done is grind my dried coconut in a coffee grinder to get a real fine flour and add that to my baked goods.  My hubby, and especially, my son hate the taste of coconut chunks.  So, I add about half a cup or more to muffins, bread, etc. for extra fiber.  Coconut has a TON of fiber in it.  You can barely taste the coconut in it this way.  But I like coconut, so I would make a coconut bread with coconut flour, and coconut chunks, and coconut milk, with coconut....... ;D

Do you have a special recipe for coconut bread or do you just replace a certain amount of the flour?

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2007, 07:57:35 AM »

Do you have a special recipe for coconut bread or do you just replace a certain amount of the flour?

I just add some to the original recipe.  You could absolutely substitute some of the original flour with the coconut "meal".  2 cups four could be 1 1/2 cup flour with 1/2 cup coconut meal.  This book looks good(It is one of my 40+ books on my amazon wish list.  Before WTM it was half that!!:
http://www.amazon.com/Cooking-Coconut-Flour-Gluten-Free-Alternative/dp/0941599639/sr=1-1/qid=1170698169/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-6078473-9286449?ie=UTF8&s=books

Offline Isaacsmama

• Adept
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2007, 08:52:15 AM »
I just drained the water out of 2 coconuts.  I was following the recipe in NT and she says to put the drained coconuts in the oven till they crack.  Has anyone tried this.  They have been in there for a few hours and no cracking yet.  any ideas on how long this takes?  Should I wait or take them out and figure out another way to get them open?

OK, I answered my own ?.   I had them in the oven for about 3 hours and they didnt crack like NT said they would.  So I took them out anyway and banged with a  hammer and threw on the garage floor.  They cracked open, but were all brown inside, no nice white meat.   :(  So, for anyone else trying this, I would suggest not using the oven.   
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 11:47:10 AM by Isaacsmama »

Offline ILoveGodsWisdom

• Adept
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2007, 05:50:26 PM »
I buy the green or immature coconuts and the mature coconuts all the time...the green coconuts (which are actually husked back to a white fibre) taste the best...my children scramble for it (it's like opening a bar of chocolate in our house anyway).

I can't wait to try making my own coconut flour from desicated coconut.

Thanks for the tip.  Plus the oils are so good for you and are not compromised by cooking according to all the health guru's like Mercola.
Passport type shot of me and my 4 children

Offline His

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2007, 06:14:38 PM »
Hello there Isaacsmamma and all.
I am knew to the group.  A friend told me about this group.  :)  I just happened to come upon this question.   I have a wonderful cookbook that has a section devoted to coconuts.  The book is called Kathy Cooks.....Naturally   I just purchased my first coconut a few weeks ago.  We (the kiddos and I) drained the coconut and then split it open with a butcher's knife (I think a hatchet would work well.  A machete is actually the instrument recommended for this task.  We don't happen to have one so we improvised.  Some of the recipes in this cookbook used the coconut raw.  I opted to bake it (to grate it).  I forgot about it and left it in too long but it still turned out okay.  It was a bit rubbery/chewy but I think that is a bit normal.  I've never really liked coconut but I liked to pretty well this way.  :)
I look forward to learning loads through this forum and sharing where I can.  :)  God Bless!  Wanda

Offline mishy

• Master
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2007, 07:30:28 PM »
I just drained the water out of 2 coconuts.  I was following the recipe in NT and she says to put the drained coconuts in the oven till they crack.  Has anyone tried this.  They have been in there for a few hours and no cracking yet.  any ideas on how long this takes?  Should I wait or take them out and figure out another way to get them open?

OK, I answered my own ?.   I had them in the oven for about 3 hours and they didnt crack like NT said they would.  So I took them out anyway and banged with a  hammer and threw on the garage floor.  They cracked open, but were all brown inside, no nice white meat.   :(  So, for anyone else trying this, I would suggest not using the oven.   

LOL!!  And "oh no!"  That is a bummer.  Anyway, if you want to try the "original" way of opening up the coconut, you bite a little piece of the husk and peel it away little by little. 
You would probably be very old by the time you finish the task.  LOL.  I am not sure if he was really serious or not, but this guy said that was how the natives USED to do it.  But it might be an evolutionary belief- you know, like people didn't figure out how to make fire until many millions of years into the evolutionary process.....