Author Topic: Stevia sweetener?  (Read 67047 times)

Offline 4lilkeepers

• Adept
Stevia sweetener?
« on: February 03, 2007, 05:57:08 AM »
has anyone used this?  Where is agood place to buy it?  Can you use it like sugar for cakes, cookies, etc?

Thanks
4lilkeepers

Offline js_honey

• Learning
Re: Stevia sweetener?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 06:30:35 AM »
Hi lilkeepers!

A mutual friend of ours uses this a lot.  I'll see what I can find out.  I believe  she uses  honey for baking though.

js_honey

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 06:38:41 AM »
  My favorite herb book!!

freshisbest

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 01:30:06 PM »
I got mine from www.sweetLeaf.com the last time I got it. Bought a box of individual packets. I was surprised how many people have come to my house and asked for " Sweet N Low"....I try not to look horrified....then I give them a couple of packets of Stevia. My kids will eat plain yogurt if I put some in it. I read somewhere sugar " cancels out" the benefits of yogurt but I wonder if Stevia counts. I have also used it in water/lemon juice. While pregnant I craved iced tea with lemon and stevia. Last year I bought a small Stevia plant. It grew big and bushy and looked great in the garden. You can put the leaves themselves in tea. My sister in law said something about too much of it throwing hormone balances off, but since I don't use it often I didn't worry about that.

Offline sarajane

• Adept
    • www.herbsareeasy.com
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 02:52:32 PM »
I use Sweet Leaf brand that I buy at Whole Foods. I get this little plastic bottle of it. I use it to sweeten our iced tea, I can't stand iced tea without it anymore! Never tried baking with it.
Mommy to Neveah, 2 year old who lives with Jesus, Larissa 4, Gavin 2. Help meet to Jason for 9 years.

Offline healthy dawn

• Learning
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 04:12:01 PM »
I love stevia! I am a diabetic and it is the only sweetener that I use. Since I have started using it my blood sugar has normalized! My doctor thinks that I am doing amazingly well. Having been a diabetic for about 7 years I couldn't get my blood sugar normal until I started using stevia!!
Dawn

Offline skelliott2

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2007, 04:07:54 PM »
We LOVE the sweetleaf flavored liquid stevia.  You can buy these for a good price on amazon.com.  We put a squirt of stevia into a glass of club soda, and we have instant natural soft drink for dinner!!!  I wouldn't use stevia for baking, but it's a GREAT sweetener for lemon water, smoothies, soft drinks, and teas.  Kimberly

Offline lanabrooke

• Learning
  • always be sincere, even if you don't mean it.
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2007, 10:45:07 AM »
Just so ya'll know-- Stevia is used as a contraceptive by women in third-world countries, so some of you might want to do some more research b-4 using it. Anyway! Just my $0.2!
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried. ;)

Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2007, 01:09:00 PM »
Just so ya'll know-- Stevia is used as a contraceptive by women in third-world countries, so some of you might want to do some more research b-4 using it. Anyway! Just my $0.2!
Never heard that.  Been using it for almost 5 years daily and have a five year old and a 2 year old.  ;)

Do you have some resource we can refer to?  Is there a dosage determination for it's contraceptive effects?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline WithLoveAndJoy

• Master
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2007, 02:07:35 PM »

I got the following information from the following site:
" Fertility

It has been claimed that the stevia leaves or its products are used as contraceptive. The fact that the rural inhabitants of the stevia growing areas of Brazil and Paraguay, who are the heaviest drinkers of Terere and Chimarrao teas (up to 10 cups per day) and have the largest average family sizes, does not support the contraceptive suggestion.

Furthermore, three studies with rats, by different researchers, showed no effect on the reproductive capacity of the rats when they were fed daily doses of steviosides. Prof. Mauro Alvarez, a renowned scientist and author of several published studies on the safety of stevia, found flaws on these studies. He concludes by saying that the use of stevia or its extracts for contraception is pure folk lore."
http://www.health-n-sport.com/mainpages/stevia.htm
Visit my blog and see my deals for the week :)

http://homemakersresource.blogspot.com/

Offline homesteadmommy

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2007, 01:45:14 PM »
do you have some resources to support this theory? I have been using Stevia for awhile - didn't have a problem getting pregnant with my last baby and would hate to use something that could give me a problem

Offline mandmmommy

• Learning
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2007, 10:35:50 AM »
In the book "You On a Diet" it says that Stevia has been known to sterility in some cases.  I think in men.

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2007, 12:44:11 PM »
I wouldn't recommend using Stevia as a type of birth control. There are too many couples that have little ones to disprove that theory.

That reminds me of the story of the woman who tried to sue the contraceptive company because she used 'jelly' faithfully and still got pregnant. Really, every morning, she would get two slices of toast and . . .
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline OneMaster

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2007, 01:53:20 PM »
Stevia is wonderful for drinks: teas, smoothies, etc.  I don't think it is great for baking partly because it has no bulk to it.  If a recipe calls for 1 cup of sugar, it would only take a small amount of stevia to equal the sweetness of the sugar, but you'd be missing the "bulk" for the recipe to work right.

I have "Sweet 'n Natural" brand by "Superior Source", but I can't remember where my husband bought it :-[  Sorry.
"I am your sunny day, Mama!" Joey, age 2.

Offline mercy

• Thankful to be His and his.
  • Adept
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2007, 05:16:23 AM »
I use Stevia all the time, and yes I do use it for baking.  The only thing it does not work well in is cookies--unless you like them cake-like.  It also is not good for yeast rolls, etc. since the yeast requires a sugar to feed on.  Though right now we make cinnamon rolls from our bread recipe.  We use honey in the dough, but cinnamon and stevia when we roll out the dough.

I make muffins, cakes and pies with it all the time.  I have had no problem with a lack of bulk.  I also use it in drinks, salad dressings, and even stews.  It seems to be a flavor enhancer as well as sweetener, because it seems to make the other flavors even better. 

If you want a good source of information about stevia, check out the book Stevia Rebaudiana: Nature's Sweet Secret by David Richard.  Two good stevia cookbook's are The Stevia Cookbook, by Ray Sehalian, MD and Donna Gates; and my favorite, Sugar-Free Cooking with Stevia: The Naturally Sweet and Calorie-Free Herb, by James and Tanya Kirkland. The latter has table in the back to help you convert sugar and Splenda recipe amounts to stevia in four different forms: the individual packets, spoonable stevia in bulk form, clear stevia liquid, and pure stevioside.  With the help of this table, I have been able to convert most of my favorite family recipes.  My family has noticed the difference, but not the way you might think.  The first time I tried it, my DH said, "Did you do something different this time?  This was always good, but this time it tastes even better!  Whatever it was, do it again next time!"

My favorite to use is Stevita's Spoonable Stevia; it is much easier to measure than pure stevia, and you are not as likely to use too much.  There is no licorice-aftertaste (as there sometimes is with pure stevia, or green stevia, which is dried, ground stevia leaves.)  It comes in a 16 oz. jar, which lasts a looong time (because you use so little), and costs around $21.  My local StarMarket carries it, as do a few other grocery stores in our area that have large sections for health food, and of course, all the health food stores have it--when they aren't sold out!  They can't seem to keep the shelves stocked around holidays.

I made several batches of Morning Glory muffins last year, using only stevia to sweeten them, and took them to my cousin's open house for his native plant nursery.  They were very well received--several people even suggested I could market them!

Let me know if anyone is interested in recipes.
Psalm 73:25 Whom have I in heaven but thee? and there is none upon earth that I desire beside thee.

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2007, 05:42:33 AM »
Mercy,
I for 1 would LOVE the recipes. Thanks. Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline mercy

• Adept
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2007, 07:14:33 AM »
Here's the Morning Glory Muffin recipe:

2 c. fresh-ground wheat flour (I usually use hard red)
2 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. baking soda
3 t. baking powder

7 teaspoons spoonable stevia (2 Tablespoons + 1 teaspoon)
1 c. All-Bran
2/3 to 1 c. soy, rice or almond milk (I use unsweetened almond--you want enough to cover the All Bran)
1/4 c. grated carrot
1/3 c. flaked unsweetened coconut
1 c. apple, peeled and chopped  OR 1 c. unsweetened applesauce
2 eggs OR 1 T. Ener-G Egg Replacer mixed with 1/3 c. warm water
1/4 c. oil (may use less if you prefer)
1 t. vanilla
3/4 c. raisins (optional)
1/3 c. flax seed (optional)
1/2 c. chopped pecans (optional)

Combine first five ingredients in a small mixing bowl and blend together.  Set aside.

Combine rest of ingredients in a large mixing bowl; stir together.  Add dry ingredient mixture to "wet" mixture and stir until just blended.  Bake in greased muffin cups (may use paper liners if you prefer), at 350 degrees for 20-30 min.  Cool for 5 min., then remove from pan.  Enjoy!

I make these so often, that when I grated the carrots in my food processor I do several at a time and freeze them in 1/4 c. mounds.  When they are frozen, I put them all in a appropriately labled bag and put it back in the freezer.  Then when I want to make some more I just zap a mound in the microwave or put it in a sandwich bag and set it in warm water in a bowl till it is thawed.  Sure saves on work and cleaning!
Psalm 73:25 Whom have I in heaven but thee? and there is none upon earth that I desire beside thee.

Offline homesteadmommy

• Adept
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2007, 04:34:12 PM »
I use the KAL brand of Stevia - I think that 7 teaspoons would be a lot of that. Do you know how much you use of that kind?

Offline born-an-okie

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2007, 03:24:52 AM »
Thanks for the recipe Mercy, I am excited to try it out!  We've used stevia for about 3 years now.  It is fantastic in pies, and really makes them much healthier.  I have had success using it in baking with a reduced amount of sugar, but when I have just used stevia it hasn't come out good so far.  My husband loves it as it really helps reduce his sugar cravings.  We use pure stevia, which is really concentrated.  It only take 1 1/2 teaspoons to equal the sweetness of sugar.  I grew up on Koo-aid and it works great in that, but we don't drink it anymore as it causes one of my boys to have to pee so bad that he can't control it.  All of the chemicals I guess do something to the mechanism that lets him know when he has to go.  That's something for another thread I guess.  I'm gonna check out the recipes thread, thanks HB!

Offline mercy

• Adept
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2007, 05:05:06 AM »
I use the KAL brand of Stevia - I think that 7 teaspoons would be a lot of that. Do you know how much you use of that kind?

Can't say that I have.  The spoonable stevia I use has a filler in it that comes from fruits, vegetables and grains.  The filler (erythritol) is tasteless and dissolves well in liquid.  What makes the filler an asset is that it is a vehicle for the stevia--the stevia clings to it--and makes it easier to measure without getting too much stevia.  This can be a problem with pure stevia.  The cookbook I mentioned, Sugar-Free Cooking with Stevia, by James and Tanya Kirkland, has a table that converts sugar measurements to different types of stevia.  For the spoonable stevia that I use, it says 1 c. sugar = 12 t. spoonable stevia, or 1 1/2 t. pure stevia, or 2 1/2 t. clear liquid stevia.  BUT, and this is very important, it also has a footnote at the bottom of the table which says,

Although stevia sweetening strengths vary from one brand to the next, when you use a brand high in steviosides, you can achieve a sweeter taste without bitterness.  Therefore, when using a pure stevioside with at least 90% steviosides reduce the amount of stevioside listed in the chart by about 30%--the final product will not be as sweet, buy you'll avoid a bitter taste.

Reducing it by 30% meant that I would take the 12 t. of stevia down to 8 t. per cup of sugar required in the recipe.  However, we still found this too sweet, and reduced it by another teaspoon, down to 7 teaspoons.

2 t. sugar = 1/2 t. spoonable stevia, 1/4 t. clear liquid stevia, or 1/16 t. pure stevia.  But don't forget the tip just mentioned above!

1/4 c. sugar = 3 t. spoonable stevia, 1/2 teaspoon clear liquid stevia, or 3/8 t. pure stevia.  Again, don't forget the tip just mentioned.

We live in the South and grew up with sweet tea with lemon.  Around here, we make it by the gallon.  One gallon of sweet tea called for one scant cup of sugar.  I use 7 t. of stevia and it is perfect.  I use the stevia when I make tea for the Wednesday night supper at our church.  When I first started using it, all I told folks was that the tea was sugarless.  They assumed I was using Splenda or Equal or something like that.  When folks started asking me how I made the tea because they liked it so well they wanted to try making it at home, I told them it was stevia.  Now we just call it stevia tea, and it is preferred over any other drink we serve.

HTH you figure out how to convert the KAL stevia. 

Offline Hootie Hoo/the-beth

• Adept
    • The Beth Chronicles
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2007, 10:30:52 AM »
Has anyone had any luck with using an actual Stevia plant as a sweetener?  I'm having fun trying to grow things this year, and a Stevia plant is one of them.  It is already getting big, and I just wondered what I could do with it. 

How do you process the leaves?  I thought I read that you could just put a leaf in with a cup of tea?  Does anyone do that? 

Thanks in advance.  Don't want this poor plant to go to waste!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 10:38:08 AM by the-beth »
"Change is the essence of life. Be willing to surrender what you are for what you could become." Pericles

Offline JeffAngie

• Adept
    • Our Joyful Living
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2007, 11:53:36 AM »
Last summer I grew some stevia plants.  I did not get enough off of the ones I had to harvest any.  We did however use some of the fresh leaves.  I would put it in the coffee pot and steep it with my green tea or whatever tea I was making.  I though it had a really good taste and worked out really well.

I have not had much success with cooking or baking with stevia.  I usually use unrefined honey or natural cane sugar for that.  I have also heard that Sucranut was really good but I am not able to find that as yet.

I have purchased stevia from several diffrent places.  The cheapest place to purchase it is through Puritan pride sometimes they have a buy one get 2 free sale.  I also really like the now brand.

Offline T

• Adept
    • Red Umbrella Cosmetics
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2007, 03:46:26 AM »
Has anyone had any side effects from using stevia?  I told my mom about it because she has a sensitivity to sugar and I wanted her off the scary substitutes.  She actually got some (surprised me!!!) and has experienced some bloating since she started using it.  I would have said that this was not related except that I started using it in more things at the same time and I seemed to have the same symptoms.  Now, this could be totally unrelated, but it seemes odd to me that we would both have the same symptoms with the same herb, at the same time, living in two different states.  No other foods in common.  I'm not giving up on it yet and I've been off of it for 3 days and plan to have some today to see if it actually is the culprit for me.  We are using two different brands.  Could it be the additive?   We both have a great deal of sensitivities to smoke, medicines, and drugs.  I smelled marijuana from a distance once and was sick for weeks! 

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2007, 04:31:09 AM »
I haven't noticed any bloating, but my family and I don't care for stevia because it seems to tingle our tongues.  Has anyone had this problem before?  Could we be allergic to it?
Proverbs 31:26
"She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness."

Offline diaperswyper

• Adept
  • A DOUBLE BLESSING!!
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2007, 06:12:22 AM »
 We've tried stevia and hated it. The after taste and it never seem to get past my tongue. Like it never hit my tastebuds, just like aspartame. Make any sense? I guess for now we'll stick to rapadura, honey, maple syrup and agave.

Offline T

• Adept
    • Red Umbrella Cosmetics
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2007, 06:48:51 AM »
I don't care for the aftertaste, either.  I was willing to get used to it and/or try other brands just so I could not have such a high sugar intake but if it's what is making my stomach ache and causing bloating...it won't be worth it.  I had two sweet rolls with it 3 hours ago and so far, so good.  Maybe that wasn't what the issue was!

Offline Sparkys9

• Adept
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2007, 06:55:34 AM »
I only use the stevia for plain yogurt and herb teas that need some kind of sweetening. For the yogurt I use 1/2 packet, teas 1/3. Anymore than that and I get the aftertaste. I am trying to lay off sugar r/t my pregnancy. These two items are the main ones I would use honey or sugar in, so this is how I'm dealing with that. As for baking I just continue o use the demerrera sugar or raw honey.
I use the NOW brand. I wouldn't even consider using it for baking. It's too expensive.
I can do all things through Christ which strentheneth me. Phillipians 4:13

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2007, 07:56:16 AM »
Has anyone had any side effects from using stevia?  I told my mom about it because she has a sensitivity to sugar and I wanted her off the scary substitutes.  She actually got some (surprised me!!!) and has experienced some bloating since she started using it.  I would have said that this was not related except that I started using it in more things at the same time and I seemed to have the same symptoms.  Now, this could be totally unrelated, but it seemes odd to me that we would both have the same symptoms with the same herb, at the same time, living in two different states.  No other foods in common.  I'm not giving up on it yet and I've been off of it for 3 days and plan to have some today to see if it actually is the culprit for me.  We are using two different brands.  Could it be the additive?   We both have a great deal of sensitivities to smoke, medicines, and drugs.  I smelled marijuana from a distance once and was sick for weeks! 
I've been using a pinch of stevia everyday in my coffee for the last 5 years or so.  this is a very small amount, but I've not noticed any ill effects.  I was thinking though, that if you were eating a lot more stevia than I, then that would mean that you're eating a lot less sugar??  If that's the case, maybe you are experiencing some sort of dieoff or detox from the sudden decrease in sugar intake.  Just a thought?  :-\
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline T

• Adept
    • Red Umbrella Cosmetics
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2007, 09:25:13 AM »
Both of you have excellent ideas of what it might be.  I have been detoxing from sugar for some time but not off of it completely.  I used the stevia for everything I made for Thanksgiving and maybe it was just too much at once.  We had been using it in our kefir and a few other things but not in such quantity and perhaps the good bacteria in the kefir countered the 'reaction.'  I had some gelatin/cranberry salad at lunch made with it and still today no adverse reaction.  So I'm not giving up on it but I may try a different brand to see if the taste changes.  I got a buy one get one free store brand of liquid so next time I'll try the name brand when it goes on sale.  Thanks for the input.  I'll check with my mom to see what's up with her since last we spoke.  I would imagine she is having huge detox symptoms from all the fake stuff she's been using.  It will take a long time to get that out of her system.  I think I'll try some psyllium on her when I see her and see if that doesn't clear some of that stuff out faster!

Why doesn't this spell check recognize any healthy foods and herbs??? ;D