Author Topic: Dermographism  (Read 35666 times)

Offline Lavender~Rosemary

• Adept
Dermographism
« on: February 09, 2007, 11:01:03 AM »
My husband has been "diagnosed" with dermographism.    The doctor told him that word means "skin writing".  If he scratches himself it puffs up and is really red. If he brushes up against something it will irritate his skin.  He is also itchy all over unless he takes anti-histamines daily.  He has been taking those for 5 or 6 years now.  I really hate for him to put something like that in his body every day :(
Every now and then he will go without the anti-histamines to see if he still itches and he always does.  It is quite frustrating for him.  It did begin at a time in our lives that was very uncertain.  We thought that may have had something to do with it - but since it has not gone away we are not sure. 

Here is a link that explains it a little and shows what I mean about the puffy skin:
http://www.dermnetnz.org/reactions/dermographism.html

And one more:
http://www.dermographism.com/

Just wanted to see if anyone else has this problem or knows of anything that may help. He is planning on doing a cleanse next week.  Not sure if that will aid  his symptoms - but it is worth a try.
Stacy

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
Re: Dermographism
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 11:21:07 AM »
My husband has been "diagnosed" with dermographism.    The doctor told him that word means "skin writing".  If he scratches himself it puffs up and is really red. If he brushes up against something it will irritate his skin.  He is also itchy all over unless he takes anti-histamines daily.  He has been taking those for 5 or 6 years now.  I really hate for him to put something like that in his body every day :(
Every now and then he will go without the anti-histamines to see if he still itches and he always does.  It is quite frustrating for him.  It did begin at a time in our lives that was very uncertain.  We thought that may have had something to do with it - but since it has not gone away we are not sure. 

Here is a link that explains it a little and shows what I mean about the puffy skin:
http://www.dermnetnz.org/reactions/dermographism.html

And one more:
http://www.dermographism.com/

Just wanted to see if anyone else has this problem or knows of anything that may help. He is planning on doing a cleanse next week.  Not sure if that will aid  his symptoms - but it is worth a try.
Stacy

Stacy,
See my post on the hives thread:

Hives: Causes & Cures

Everything I said in it would apply to your DH too. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 11:40:26 AM »
My skin used to do this a little bit.  Probably not to the exent you are describing, but I also used to itch all over and the doc prescribed antihistamines and unfortunately for me they didn't work because they make me itch worse.  Anyway, I have posted a lot more information on my symptoms and how I solved the problem on another thread.

Your Shampoo Might Be Your Problem:  Going "No Poo".
  My favorite herb book!!

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007, 11:42:28 AM »
Thanks herbalmom,
I checked out that link.  It had some great info.  I am going to look into your suggestions and see how to add those in to his life.

I forgot to mention that he also has Reactive Airway Disease.  One site I found said that "the term "reactive airways" applies to the hyper-reactivity of the airways (HRA) induced by a variety of stimuli, including allergens (in sensitive individuals), irritants, etc."  http://www.aaaai.org/aadmc/ate/reactive_airways.html

This term "hyper-reactivity"  seems to sum him up!!  It seems that he is very sensitive to so many things.  I mentioned somewhere else that he gets a big inflammation in his mouth when he takes spirulina or wheatgrass.  I am always unsure when I am trying to give him something "herbal" if it is going to bother him.  He ate some raw garlic a few nights ago to see if might help him get over his cold.  He then lay awake for a few hours itching - his anti-histamine didn't help then.  Could the garlic have inhibited the anti-histamine?  Or just caused another allergic reaction?  I don't have any idea ???

To look at him you would never guess that he has so many health issues.  He looks strong and healthy.  He loves to exercise.  He is in great shape.  When he gets a physical they often ask him if he is an athlete because his heart rate is low.   He could eat better though :)

Thanks for the tips.
Stacy

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2007, 11:44:48 AM »
My skin used to do this a little bit.  Probably not to the exent you are describing, but I also used to itch all over and the doc prescribed antihistamines and unfortunately for me they didn't work because they make me itch worse.  Anyway, I have posted a lot more information on my symptoms and how I solved the problem on another thread.

Thanks HB!
I am going to read through that.
It certainly seems like a good idea to get rid of chemicals wherever possible.
He is willing to try almost anything so I bet he would go for going " no poo"
Thanks.  I appreciate t.
Stacy

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 11:57:47 AM »

Thanks HB!
I am going to read through that.
It certainly seems like a good idea to get rid of chemicals wherever possible.
He is willing to try almost anything so I bet he would go for going " no poo"
Thanks.  I appreciate t.
Stacy
Just a note.  This was a contributor in my case but not the only one.  I've found that if you have another problem such as candida (very possible in your husband's case) that SLS and other chemicals can exacerbate the problem.  With 100% healthy liver and gut, these chemicals might not bother the average person because the body is able to process and waste them as it was designed, but when the immune system is compromised as is generally the case in candida and leaky gut, these chemicals can cause exaggerated symptoms and further compromise the immune system.  This leaves a person vulnerable to other problems in the future if they are not corrected.  Also, if you go SLS free, don't forget about your laundry soap, his shaving cream, soft hand soap, baby soap (bathing the kids), & toothpaste.  There are several threads on it throughout the forum on how to eliminate and replace these items in your home.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 01:40:07 PM »
Hey, guess what.  I went to the allergist today and he says I have the worst [acute] case of dermographism he's ever seen.  I heard him tell the other doc and he called all of the nurses in to take a look.

He scratched me (the test) and 15 minutes later, my entire back was on fire, and covered in welts.  They gave me an epinephrine shot to reverse the effects - yahoo.  Ever have one of those days when you feel like you've drank 27 cups of coffee in 30 seconds or less?   :o

Anyway, suffice to say, the doc told me that it was a weakening of the mast cells in the dermal layer.  This causes a person to have an allergic reaction to nothing more than touch.

It's related to cytokines, histamines, neuropeptides & inflammation.

Here's a good article on the immune system and the inflammatory responses that might also give you some insight into the matter.

Immune Restoration

I've noticed over the course of several weeks that certain foods cause a flare up, but don't seem to be consistent with a normal allergic reaction.  After chatting with the doc and a couple of friends, I've come to the conclusion that it's the inflammatory qualities in the foods that cause the inflammation to flare up and cause the skin to be more sensitive to contact.  Having all of this in mind, on the recommendation of Forevergirl, I've ordered the books Win the War Within and Inflammation Nation by Dr. Floyd Chilton & Laura Tucker to get more information on foods that cause inflammation.

What I do know is that omega 6 fats are very inflammatory and omega 3 fats are just the opposite, so until you can get well versed in an antiinflammatory diet, I would recommend uping the dose of Cod Liver Oil (Omega 3) and avoiding things containing the omega 6 fats as much as possible.

I'll update as I know more.

Pics:  Click to enlarge.

NECK:

ARM:

BACK:                                      BELLY:

SHOULDERS:

UNDERARMS:

THIGHS:

« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 02:19:41 PM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 02:24:43 PM »
Uuuuugh! NOW I have to go and skin brush just to keep the skin from crawling. Oh, do I have sympathy itching for you now. Let me know what you think of the Inflammation Nation book. Praying that you feel better very soon.

HB, what do you think has compromised your immune system and triggered these flare ups? Was it gradual or a sudden onset?

Thanks for the great pics. This info will help so many people. What a trooper!
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline Isaacsmama

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 04:19:22 PM »
wow heathlybratt, are those you?  Do they hurt or just look like you've been flogged?  My skin makes little marks when I scratch, but not all the time and never welts.  Maybe I should pay more attention to the times it does and find a link. 

Offline likemanywaters

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2007, 04:48:50 PM »
HB, As always I will be looking forward to your research. I had briefly read on cytokines, but haven't followed it up yet.  What you said about inflammation and Omega 6's and 3's sparked something in my brain though. Isn't Evening Primrose Oil and Omega 6?  Lately my son's diet has had a LOT more Omega 3's and his skin is doing better... :) But I had also been giving him an EPO a day which I'm wondering if I ought to cut out b/c of the inflammation factor.... He has been CRAVING canned sardines & salmon all the time!! Today he ate nearly a whole large sized can of salmon & a whole can of sardines!!  HB, I hope your skin will get better soon too. Is there a list online of the foods that cause "inflammation"?
And, behold, the glory of the God of Israel came from the way of the east: and his voice was like a noise of many waters: and the earth shined with his glory.

-Ezekiel 43:2

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2007, 03:25:24 AM »
Thanks for all your support and encouragement.  I tried to answer everything below.  Let me know, if I missed something.

HB, what do you think has compromised your immune system and triggered these flare ups?

The doctor believes it was the pain medication I was on for an extended period of time.  He believes that codeine derived pain killers have the ability to cause this damage and sensitivity.

Was it gradual or a sudden onset?

When taking these types of pain meds, the docs will tell you itching is a "normal" side effect.  I had some itching while taking the meds.  I didn't like it, but the pain from my injuries was worse, so I endured it.  Once I stopped the meds, the inflammation/hives/welts began to show up around day 2 "med free".

What a trooper!

Thanks, but not really.  I was a total basket case.  Something about this condition clouds the thinking and screws up the emotions (probably stress).  My poor husband is the REAL trooper in this story.   ;D

wow heathlybratt, are those you?

Yup, it's me.

Do they hurt or just look like you've been flogged? 

They itch until the swelling increases.  Once the skin is taught from the swelling, they become hot, still itch (like crazy) and sometimes hurt (like swollen hands and feet).

My skin makes little marks when I scratch,

I believe this is normal.

Isn't Evening Primrose Oil and Omega 6?

Yes

But I had also been giving him an EPO a day which I'm wondering if I ought to cut out b/c of the inflammation factor

Quite possibly.  I wrote a bit more on this in this post under
5.  Heal the Gut.

I Think I Have Candida/Leaky Gut:  What Now?

He has been CRAVING canned sardines & salmon all the time!!

My guess is his body is telling him, he needs more 3s.  With fish, watch the mercury content.  Don't overdo it.  In the post I mentioned above, there is a list of other sources of Omega 3s.

Is there a list online of the foods that cause "inflammation"?

This is the knowledge I hope to gain from the books I ordered.  I haven't found anything online up to this point.  You could check out this website to see if you could find something. 

http://www.inflammationnation.com/

I had the welting at times, and hives lately.  I wonder what causes weakening of the mast cells?

I don't know yet, but I hope to find out.  Over stimulation, would be my first guess.

Would coconut oil be one of those Omega 6 fats?.

I don't believe that coconut oil contains any EFAs in the Omega 3 or 6 category.  It has other helpful qualities, but to truly understand it, I would recommend the book Eat Fat Lose Fat.

I've been craving green olives like mad

Maybe, not so strange.  I've been craving them too, out of the blue.

..avocados...taking flax oil...hmmm...time to learn the difference,

Check the list I mentioned above for starters.

Also, if Omega 6's are "essential" fatty acids, I wonder how long you can avoid them?

Good question.

Hey, that's interesting what it says about silica helping. I've got a whole bag of Horsetail, but would have never thought about using it externally on skin problems. Hmm....

I have some too.  Let me know if you find anything else on this.  I'll probably be looking into it more later. 

HB-The locations of your welts/hives are similar to mine....curious. ???

They also look very reminiscent of these pics of  Naomismama's husband.

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,2698.msg57328.html#msg57328
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Maria/NHM

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2007, 04:25:00 AM »
Oh that looks painful. Praying you find an answer!
My Blog
http://naturallyhealthymommy.blogspot.com/
Learning and sharing about nutrition and herbs
My user name used to be Ella :)

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2007, 06:30:19 AM »
HB,

That looks absolutely painful. No wonder you have been so quiet lately.  :-\
I sure do hope that you can find something to work for you. I know that pineapple and turmeric are good anti-inflammatories.  Looks like you will be making a lot of Indian and Thai food!  ;)

YoopreMama

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2007, 05:22:49 PM »
Looks like you will be making a lot of Indian and Thai food!  ;)
Hardly.   :-X
How are you doing, HB?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2007, 05:40:09 PM »
Looks like you will be making a lot of Indian and Thai food!  ;)
Hardly.   :-X
How are you doing, HB?
Thanks for asking.  Cruising right along.    Unfortunately aided by more anti-itch medicines (supposed to be 2 weeks only).

My book has not yet arrived, but I'm tackling the postman daily in anticipation.   :o   ::) 
  My favorite herb book!!

YoopreMama

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2007, 01:38:51 AM »
My book has not yet arrived, but I'm tackling the postman daily in anticipation.   :o   ::) 
As usual, you have me ROTFL!   :D  I can't tackle my interlibrary loan person, as I requested it on the computer, but I do wait eagerly for the call!

Does ACV diluted mildly (or not at all) help w/ the itching?  It's all I use (barring the Bendryl cream from time to time)   :-[  I have one concoction w/ lavendar and chickweed in it.  Not so bad smelling!  ;)

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2007, 02:30:42 PM »
Well that makes a lot of sense to me.  If folks would just stop touching me I wouldn't be so irritated...  ;D :D
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline AllinHisTime

• Adept
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2007, 03:16:22 PM »
HB, any updates?  How are you feeling today? Any changes?

I'm praying for you....that looks extremely irritating!!!!!!!
A truth's initial commotion is directly proportional to how deeply the lie was believed...When a well packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.-- Dresden James

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2007, 06:00:51 PM »
Does ACV diluted mildly (or not at all) help w/ the itching?  It's all I use (barring the Bendryl cream from time to time)   :-[  I have one concoction w/ lavendar and chickweed in it.  Not so bad smelling!  ;)
Showers help me alot with the swelling and itching.  I use ACV after every shower, so I don't know how much relief I can contribute to one or the other.  Haven't tried vinegar outside of the shower.

I'm also a bit itchy today, but it's mild to moderate.  I still have 2 weeks on the meds.  The doc seems to think I'll be healing on my own by then.  Hopefully, I can help that along with my new book.

(btw, got my book - the postman is very relieved ;D)

« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 06:03:19 PM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2007, 06:09:08 PM »
The inflammation and diet information has taken on a life of it's own.  I moved it to a new thread.

Inflammation & Diet
  My favorite herb book!!

YoopreMama

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2007, 02:17:09 AM »
Showers help me alot with the swelling and itching.  I use ACV after every shower, so I don't know how much relief I can contribute to one or the other.  Haven't tried vinegar outside of the shower.

I'm also a bit itchy today, but it's mild to moderate.  I still have 2 weeks on the meds.  The doc seems to think I'll be healing on my own by then.  Hopefully, I can help that along with my new book.

Hooray for the book and a decrease in itching!  Thank you for starting a new thread on the diet and imflammation information. 

Is one of the medications Dapsone?  What you using to hydrate your skin? 

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2007, 05:07:34 AM »

Hooray for the book and a decrease in itching!  Thank you for starting a new thread on the diet and imflammation information. 

Is one of the medications Dapsone?  What you using to hydrate your skin? 
Nope, methyl prenisalone and zyrtec for backup.
  My favorite herb book!!

YoopreMama

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2007, 03:20:23 AM »
How's your skin, HB?   ??? Better, I hope.   :)

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2007, 03:29:18 AM »
I was just thinking about this but couldn't remember what it is called.  Tell me if what I have is the same thing. 

Whenever I have a band aid on, as soon as I take it off I have red marks where the adhesive was.  The red marks last for days.  If the adhesive is stronger (like where I got an epidural) it leaves redness and itchy welty blisters.

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2007, 03:42:56 AM »
I was just thinking about this but couldn't remember what it is called.  Tell me if what I have is the same thing. 

Whenever I have a band aid on, as soon as I take it off I have red marks where the adhesive was.  The red marks last for days.  If the adhesive is stronger (like where I got an epidural) it leaves redness and itchy welty blisters.

The same thing happens to me, I've been that way since I was very young. It is an allergy to a certain type of adhesive. I decline the bandaid  whenever they draw blood and just hold the cotton ball on. When I tell doctors that I am allergic to "surgical adhesive" they always know what I'm talking about and, if they can, they use that paper tape instead (it has a different adhesive on it). But they can't do that for some things. Like for my c-sections they have just tried to get the tape off of me as fast as they possibly can after the surgery. Even then, if the sticky residue isn't removed really well (and who wants to be scrubbing that area at that time?!  :o ) I still get welts whereever it's left.

WR
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 04:14:02 AM by Whiterock »
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2007, 03:55:34 AM »
How's your skin, HB?   ??? Better, I hope.   :)
I stopped taking the steroids day before yesterday and I'm showing signs of reverting back to the rashes.  It takes a few days for steroids to completely leave the body, but I'm hoping that the symptoms I've had yesterday and today will be the extent of it.  It's manageable so far and it would be a sign that things are improving.  Only time will tell.

Thanks for asking.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2007, 03:57:15 AM »

Sounds like an allergy to bandaids/tape, etc.  I have it as does my oldest daughter.  We can wear bandaids for very short periods of time, but extended wear (more than a day) will cause welts and itching and pain.

Actually, I was just thinking about it and I think since I've cleansed for yeast, I've not had this problem.  I wouldn't risk it considering the current condition of my skin, but it's interesting none-the-less.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2007, 04:52:50 AM »
Okay.  No cleansing right now because I'm pregnant, but I plan on doing a MAJOR cleanse once I'm able.  2009???   :D  So between now and then I can ask for paper tape.  That's good to know.  And to tell them I am allergic to surgical adhesive is good, too.  Thanks, y'all.

Offline grocerygetter

• Adept
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2008, 01:03:06 PM »
HB, Didn't you mention somewhere you thought maybe this was tied to having taken steroids???

Can anyone tell me how to use ACV to help with ds skin??

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2008, 02:47:03 PM »
Robert J. Rowen recommends Phytocort 7 for inflammation.

It contains three Chinese herbal extracts: Ling-Zhi (Ganoderma lucidum), Ku-Shen (Radix Sophora flavescentis), and Gan-Cao (Radix Glycyrrhiza uralensis). It’s available from Allergy Research Group/NutriCology for around $40 at 800-545-9960.

This is an herbal remedy that fights inflammation as well as prescription meds (studies have been done), but instead of depleting the adrenal glands it actually protects the adrenals and allows them to produce the proper amounts of cortisol.  This means your body can produce its own steroids.

I think it is worth looking into.