Author Topic: Chronic Sinusitis! Could allergies be the culprit???  (Read 25859 times)

Offline maideninwaiting

• Adept
Chronic Sinusitis! Could allergies be the culprit???
« on: February 13, 2007, 06:03:59 PM »
Finally, after years of suffering from numerous sinus infections every year (and they've gradually grown worse), I was finally diagnosed with chronic sinusitis. It has been so long since my head and nose has been clear, that I've literally forgotten how it feels. (I've been consistently sick for over three mos. with no period of time of being totaly well). The puffy eyes, drainage which caused a severe ear infection, bronchitis. I am FULL of phlegm and I can't get it out of me! I've tried all the natural things mentioned here: goot, eating raw garlic, ginger salt baths, high doses of vit. C, and more. I try to eat healthy, omitting refined processed foods as much as possible as well as non-organic. Eating all whole grains. I don't know what to do. I feel so desperate, because I am sick ALL THE TIME. I finally resorted to antibiotics for the bronchitis and ear infection and one day after finishing it, the phlegm (which never totally left) is back in all its glory! My eyes are puffy again. My ear is full again!! The drainage keeps my throat and nose clogged and my nose is forever stuffy and congested with white/clear mucus. :( I had heard that probiotics can help allergies/sinus, but after a month of TT, there is no difference. I am starting to worry there is an underlying cause. Could it be allergies? Can anyone offer any suggestions on a natural cure for this? I am truly miserable. Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 06:09:39 PM by maideninwaiting »
"I am the LORD: For they shall not be ashamed that wait for me." Isaiah 49:23

Offline Gods_child

• Adept
Re: Chronic Sinusitis! Could allergies be the culprit???
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 09:48:55 PM »
I don't have an answer for you but I do suffer from a stuffy, mucusy sinus always too. I too have allergies. I've been looking for something that could help me clear up my sinuses and maybe even get rid of this problem once and for all but haven't had any luck. So if anyone knows ANYTHING... HELP!!!lol. (It's not really a laughing matter)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 05:40:44 AM »
If you've taken several rounds of antibiotics over the years without taking a probiotic supplement or using probiotic foods in your diet regularly, you're a prime suspect for candidiasis.  If you are overgrown with candida, one month of probiotic supplements is probably not going to be your miracle cure.  You'll most likely have to be more aggressive with your treatment and/or it will most likely take many months before your body is completely healed.  If  you keep up the diet and follow some other steps, I would guess that you might help your sinusitis in a couple of months, but treatment will most likely be necessary for up to a year depending on your body and how badly it may be damaged.

I used to get terrible sinus infections and bronchitis all the time and since treating for candida and leaky gut, they are now a thing of the past.  I treated for a total of 10 months, and I've had two colds since I started.  The first one put me out of commission for a couple of weeks.  The second one, many weeks later, I barely noticed.  A few kleenex and a couple of extra supplements and garlic and I was good as new in a couple of days.

I would read the following threads for more info.

Candida / Yeast: Symptoms & Cures
Candida Cleanse Without Supplements
Foods to Eat While Taking Yeast Assassin [or Other Antifungals]
Natural Antifungals
Leaky Gut:  The Cause of it All?
I Think I Have Candida and/or Leaky Gut:  What Now?
Boosting Your Immune System:  Avoiding Illness
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 06:57:37 AM »
I am currently reading a book written by a Christian auther about how wheat and dairy tend to cause these types of syptoms.

Milk has that ability to cause extra mucus and so forth which acts differantly in each person thus giving some diarrhea, some sinus troubles, some ear troubles and more. He says cow milk is for baby cows not humans .

I have been trying to go wheat and dairy free off an on and each time I do my ears and nose are less stuffy.

He says there are 4 main foods that when all eaten together or eaten often can cause troubles -soy, corn, wheat and cow milk( all dairy products).  It sure seems true for me. I found the book at walmart. It is packed full of good info like how most mental and physical diseases/illnesses are preventable  and related to our nutrition.

The book is called   " We dont die , we kill ourselves- our foods are killing us"  by Dr Roger L. De Haan

Offline T

• Adept
    • Red Umbrella Cosmetics
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 09:00:33 AM »
I spent a few years off and on antibiotics before I knew the dangers.  Every time I changed environments or breathed I had a sinus infection.  I would look into what HB said very closely.  I started by going cold turkey off the antis and taking large doses (2 high mlg. tablets with each meal) of vitamin c.  That helped a great deal.  Vitamin C is not toxic and you can take it until it causes diarrhea.  (I found out the candida from the antis was making me infertile.)  Recently I have done a water cleanse to rid myself of candida.  The candida was caused by diet and antis.  Anything that turns to sugar exacerbates it.  I drank (chugged) 3/16 oz. glasses of water an hour before each meal for 10 days.  I ate as I normally would except eliminated all known sugars.  This really purged my system of googies!  I have 'snorted' colloidal silver for any nasal congestion or post nasal drip and have not been sick all year.  I have done some research on cayenne pepper and read that combined with garlic, it is as good as penicillin.  I haven't had to do that.  When I went cold turkey off the antis, I had some major sinus problems but toughed them out.  I was miserable then, but it has made all the difference since then.  I would take some cayenne something...I ate some yesterday for a headache and it was gone in minutes...and see if it helps through the dt's.  Hope this is helpful for you.  By the way, you have to limit your future sugar intake or it can all come back and I'd take the probiotic or eat lots of good PLAIN yogurt.  You will acquire a taste for it.

Oh yeah...my allergies are allmost non existant!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 09:02:07 AM by T »

Offline babymakers

• Adept
    • Babeemakers
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 09:06:57 AM »
You have tried many things but have you ever done a colon cleanse? I didn't see it on your list. You should a colon cleanse if you haven't done that. You can buy prepackaged kits, go to a hydrocolontherapist, or do a seven day juice fast.
Visit my-

eBay Store, and <a href="http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/babymakers/ ">blog[/url].

Offline T

• Adept
    • Red Umbrella Cosmetics
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2007, 09:33:38 AM »
I did coffee enemas while I did the water cleanse.  I did five in a weeks time but not on consecutive days.  They helped a great deal also!

Offline savedbygrace

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2007, 09:37:34 AM »
Does anyone know what to do for a baby (5 1/2 months old, 13 pounds) who seems to have this? I cannot see how she would need to do a cleanse since she hasn't been alive long enough to dirty up her body. She has never taken antibiotics and I didn't take them when I was pregnant with her. She has been sick since she was about 2 months old!

Offline savedbygrace

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2007, 09:49:29 AM »
could it be her milk based formula? If so, what are my alternatives? I cannot breastfeed and soy is out of the question... I wonder if raw milk would be better or maybe goats milk?

Offline T

• Adept
    • Red Umbrella Cosmetics
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2007, 09:58:11 AM »
I'd be willing to bet it's her formula.  Have you looked into a breast milk donation?  I have had friends that had excess and pumped to help out moms who could not.  It may take some getting used to the other mom's milk but might just be the ticket.  You could really save money if there is someone willing to donate!

Offline RB

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2007, 10:19:10 AM »
Our twins did very well on goats milk.
 I would be careful to make sure that your source of breast milk is from healthy Moms if you  decide to go that route.  I gave our twins some breastmilk donated to me by  a Mom who had extra and they developed thrush mouth from  drinking it.  It took  months to get rid of it, because of their lowered immunity.
Blessing's,
  RB
Whatsoever things are lovely ...think on these things.  Phil. 4:8

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2007, 10:27:08 AM »
Does anyone know what to do for a baby (5 1/2 months old, 13 pounds) who seems to have this? I cannot see how she would need to do a cleanse since she hasn't been alive long enough to dirty up her body. She has never taken antibiotics and I didn't take them when I was pregnant with her. She has been sick since she was about 2 months old!
I would read this thread.  Maybe it will help.

Boosting Your Immune System:  Avoiding Illness
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2007, 10:49:10 AM »
I had constant drainage from my sinuses w/ frequent bouts of "colds" until I got my amalgams removed. This winter I have had ONE cold... :-*
I have also been cleansing but my sinuses felt clear immediately after I got my amlgams out.

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2007, 10:50:41 AM »
could it be her milk based formula? If so, what are my alternatives? I cannot breastfeed and soy is out of the question... I wonder if raw milk would be better or maybe goats milk?
I'd try the raw goat milk if at all possible. It worked sooo well for our first son when nothing else did.

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2007, 11:10:47 AM »
These are all good replies, and here are a few other things to add:

One of my friends suffered from this and finally had an x-ray which revealed that her sinus passages were like a honey comb.  They were filled with stagnant snot which perpetually got infected.  She had the sinuses drilled to allow for better drainage, and she can now breathe for the first time in about 12 years.  Her voice is unrecognizable to me because I've only known her 6 years and she's always been VERY nasally sounding.

One thing could be dust or other allergens in the air, crawl space, basement, ventilation ducts of your home.

One thing could be sleeping on your back so that the sinuses are always draining down your throat is causing the problem.  Try sleeping on your side with your head positioned more downward and blowing your nose consistently to keep mucus moving in the right direction.

Also eating spicy foods helps drain the sinuses and avoid stagnant build-up.
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2007, 01:24:31 PM »
These are all good replies, and here are a few other things to add:

One of my friends suffered from this and finally had an x-ray which revealed that her sinus passages were like a honey comb.  They were filled with stagnant snot which perpetually got infected.  She had the sinuses drilled to allow for better drainage, and she can now breathe for the first time in about 12 years.  Her voice is unrecognizable to me because I've only known her 6 years and she's always been VERY nasally sounding.

One thing could be dust or other allergens in the air, crawl space, basement, ventilation ducts of your home.

One thing could be sleeping on your back so that the sinuses are always draining down your throat is causing the problem.  Try sleeping on your side with your head positioned more downward and blowing your nose consistently to keep mucus moving in the right direction.

Also eating spicy foods helps drain the sinuses and avoid stagnant build-up.
I'd lay money that she took alot of antihistamines.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2007, 02:27:17 PM »

If you have yeast overgrowth she could have been born with it too. Also toxins in your system could have gotten into her before she was born & could be in your breast milk. (Don't stop nursing though, breast milk is still better for her than ANY formula) My oldest was born with yeast & LGS which caused him to be hospitalized at 12 days old & I never took any antibiotics while pregnant with him either. The MAYO clinic in 1999 stated that most chronic sinus infections are fungal (yeast) NOT bacterial. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline maideninwaiting

• Adept
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2007, 10:16:48 AM »
I have not done a cleanse, but am planning to the master Cleanse this spring or summer. Is it sufficient for cleansing the colon and liver?

A question for HB or whomever can answer about TT: I am taking the one they recommend to take with Yeast Assassin (I take about 4 capsules a day) and I also have the original blend for tummy upsets. Which TT formula is the most suitable when trying to keep your body populated with friendly bacteria and repairing antibiotic damage from years past?
I took the Yeast Assassin for 3 weeks and I had no real physical die-off symptoms except the first day which was similar to an allergic reaction (face was hot and red, dizzy and light headed, etc.) After that, no realy physical symptoms- just SEVERE emotional trauma, like deep depression and anxiety, racing heart, insomnia. I was so frightened by all this that I stopped taking it and am slowly feeling more like myself. Has anyone ever experienced these symptoms with yeast die-off?

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2007, 10:46:50 AM »

I took the Yeast Assassin for 3 weeks and I had no real physical die-off symptoms except the first day which was similar to an allergic reaction (face was hot and red, dizzy and light headed, etc.) After that, no realy physical symptoms- just SEVERE emotional trauma, like deep depression and anxiety, racing heart, insomnia. I was so frightened by all this that I stopped taking it and am slowly feeling more like myself. Has anyone ever experienced these symptoms with yeast die-off?
YES!

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2007, 11:24:28 AM »
She took TONS of antihistimines.

Offline joyinautism

• Learning
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2007, 12:01:29 PM »
     A lot of wisdom in the thread, while you try an elimination diet and start taking probiotics, look for hidden culprits. Dust, vacuum matress, change or wash pillows and bedding. Remove pets for a while, even if you grew up with them. Lastly but very inportant start doing sinus wash with a neti-pot. It is a very simple practice, very easy to master.

If you do a search you will find a place near you that sells them. Sometimes you will see them in stores that sell a lot of yoga/New Age junk do not be confused. Nasal washes is a very common practice in India, Nepal and many Arab countries. It helps them deal with the dust and sand. My midwive from Iran introduced us to the neti-pot years ago and we are thankful.

Also look very cautiously to some of the positions recommended by yoga advocates for sinus drainage. NO, I am not advocating body positions or standing on your head and  no I do NOT practice it. But someone taught my hubby simple ways to rotate his head sitting in a chair. He also lays in bed with his head over the edge, so that everythings is upside down. This facilitate drainage, sometimes is to painful so we try right before a wash.

I hope this added to all the other advise helps you.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 12:07:34 PM by joyinautism »

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2007, 12:16:50 PM »
I drank (chugged) 3/16 oz. glasses of water an hour before each meal for 10 days.  I ate as I normally would except eliminated all known sugars.  This really purged my system of googies! 

just wondering, if you eliminated all carbs or just sweets?

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2007, 12:18:00 PM »
I have not done a cleanse, but am planning to the master Cleanse this spring or summer. Is it sufficient for cleansing the colon and liver?

A question for HB or whomever can answer about TT: I am taking the one they recommend to take with Yeast Assassin (I take about 4 capsules a day) and I also have the original blend for tummy upsets. Which TT formula is the most suitable when trying to keep your body populated with friendly bacteria and repairing antibiotic damage from years past?
depression, anxiety and insomnia are all symptoms of yeast, so it's definately a possibility.

First, TT8 was our first product and it doesn't have a very unique name, just original blend, so many folk still refer to it as THE Tummy Tuneup. We may address this name issue in the future.

Second, our line of Tummy Tuneup probiotic products are like tools. You pick the best one for the job you are trying to accomplish. We have tried to simplify this process, but we still have some work to do...

My personal opinion is that for a yeast problem TT6 is your best bet. We have just gone to a new formula which gives a LOT more Acidophilus, 4 billion vs 2 billion. (The new blend also contains milk derivative.) Why? Studies have shown that L. acidophilus retards the growth of yeast. Since yeast is constantly reproducing, it makes sense to hit it with Yeast Assassin to kill it off, and also use high doses of Acidophilus Blast (TT6) to retard it's regrowth. TT6 is an inexpensive way to get these high doses of Acidophilus.

However, I do not believe that a primarily acidophilus product is the best for repopulating your intestinal flora. That is where TT8 and TT12 come in. See each of the different strains of good bacteria do different things. Some of these have been identified, many have not. There is a lot that we don't know. We do know that a particular strain, "does good things" but not the why or the how of it. So, it is good to repopulate using a variety of methods. Supplements are good, but also fermented foods and soft cheeses are good. Repopulation doesn't happen overnight. I was told by a doctor that it could take up to 6 months after a course of antibiotics for intestinal flora to reach its pre-antibiotic levels. And that is with supplementing. Most people don't supplement, and end up with nagging conditions that they think are normal. "That's just the way my body is." They have never known differently, because almost all of us were introduced to antibiotics at an early age, and several times a year thereafter.

TT12 is obviously the Rolls Royce of probiotics. It contains the most strains and they come from several sources. It really is the best product for probiotic repopulation. But, it is also the most expensive, and is not as stable as TT8. It needs to be stored in a cool, dry place, or refrigerated, to maintain its potency. (So does TT6 new and old). TT8 is a breakthrough product that is super stable. I'm not saying that the potency is not at all affected by environmental conditions. I'm sure that it is. But the affects are much reduced. And, the numbers on the bottle are the estimated delivery assuming normal, unrefrigerated use. So you can carry it around in your diaper bag, or purse, or leave it sitting in the van like I do, for those times when you need it, and it will still get the job done. TT12 and TT6 wouldn't appreciate a day out on the town, and would lose much of their potency. TT8 is also cheaper, so for many, this is the probiotic of choice, the best all around product with the most usability...
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2007, 12:23:49 PM »
She took TONS of antihistimines.
these are probably what cause her blockage.  my guess is that she had some issues that were related to lowered immunity, sinus congestion, swelling, etc and at the first sign of trouble, she or the docs would put her on antihistamines to dry up the drainage (pretty par for the course).  After doing alot of research on just this particular issue, I've found that antihistamines are one of the very worst things you can take for a sinus infection or cold.  They will dry up the mucous and therefore make you feel better temporarily, but the problem..the mucous doesn't disappear, it dries in place causing blockages in the sinus passages and/or bronchial passages (most docs tell you not to take them for any kind of lung infection for this reason).  After these blockages form, the catalyst is still there causing the body to produce more mucous, but now it can't get out because it's blocked.  This creates a pool in the cavity that's very enviromentally friendly for more viruses and unfriendly bacteria to grow and cause more severe infections.  If you're draining, you want to encourage more draining NOT drying up.

It's just one of those things the docs never tell you.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline T

• Adept
    • Red Umbrella Cosmetics
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2007, 12:47:12 PM »
I drank (chugged) 3/16 oz. glasses of water an hour before each meal for 10 days.  I ate as I normally would except eliminated all known sugars.  This really purged my system of googies! 

just wondering, if you eliminated all carbs or just sweets?

No, I tried to back off of some of the things I knew turned into sugar but I'm not a big enough woman to let those breads go.  They were homemade whole wheat if that counts!  Like I said, I eliminated 'known' sweets which means that if I had a salad, I ate the dressing, sugar and all.  I had a major relapse over the holidays when sweets were just in the air but that has been controlled by TT and YA and backing off the sweets to some degree!

Offline Julie70

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2007, 01:19:29 PM »
I fouund out the hard way that I am seriously allergic to Molds  I had just moved into another mobile home  this fall and I kept getting plugged up and in general feeling YUK!!!Then my Mom asked me about mold and picked me up a very pricey homeopathic spray.  It really truely did help . I tend to get mold on my windows and sils from condensation I have to clean them once a week to keep them mold free. I know when I start feeling yuk I need to check my windows. This might help . Atleast something to look into. It worked great for me 

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2007, 06:08:56 PM »
So dried mucous means perpetual blockage which means perpetual antihistimines which cause dried mucous which... 

Wow.  My FIL has been taking Sudafed since I met him.  I've never known him to not be taking it.  Now I know why.  I told my husband that my FIL has got to build up an immunity to it at some point and it just not do anything.  I guess there are enough pseudoephedrine derivatives out there (like antibiotic derivatives) to do something for him.  Or maybe he likes being drowsy.   ;D

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2007, 04:43:51 AM »
So dried mucous means perpetual blockage which means perpetual antihistimines which cause dried mucous which... 

Wow.  My FIL has been taking Sudafed since I met him.  I've never known him to not be taking it.  Now I know why.  I told my husband that my FIL has got to build up an immunity to it at some point and it just not do anything.  I guess there are enough pseudoephedrine derivatives out there (like antibiotic derivatives) to do something for him.  Or maybe he likes being drowsy.   ;D
Sudafed (pseudoephidrine) is not an antihistamine - it's a stimulant used as a decongestant.  I'm sure that overdone, these aren't good for you either, but for different reasons (addiction).  Decongestants are used to reduce swelling in the nasal passages and bronchial airways to allow drainage. 

Read the labels to know if you're getting antihistamines.  I don't have them memorized, but I recognize them, when I see them on the package.  If you're looking at a list of ingredients on a cold or allergy remedy and it's not guafinisen, pseudoephidrine, aspirin, tylenol, or ibuprofren, then it's probably an antihistamine.  They put these in women's PMS remedies and over-the-counter sleep aids too.

Here's a couple of links with more info.

Antihistamines
Pseudoephidrine
Ephidrine
Decongestant
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 04:53:04 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline maideninwaiting

• Adept
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2007, 04:41:39 PM »
An Update...

After 4 days of being off of the antibiotic and supplementing with TT6, my misery has suddenly gone from thicker whitish/clear pleghm being globbed up in my nose (which I blew frequently to get the junk out) and head and draining into my throat with fluid in my ear also to... a now thin, clear, water like mucus effortlessly POURING from (mainly ONE) nostril ALL DAY! When switching tissues, it nearly runs out onto me! Sorry for the gross picture, but that is how bad it is.  :o My nose is so raw on the outside from wiping. I can feel the drainage in the back of my throat is thinner also and I've sneezed much more than usual today. WHAT IS THIS? >:(

On an even STRANGER note...
I went to our "corporate" nurse today to let her look into my ear that had the infection and her answer was, "You have a tube in your ear, right?" Umm.. no! The only surgery I've ever had was my 4 wisdom teeth extracted 8 years ago. She goes on to say that I have something in my ear and it looks just like a clear tube surrounded with ear wax. I assure her its not a tube and I don't have a clue of what it could be as I don't remember dropping anything in my ear and its been too cold to even be outside except for when going to and from the car so nothing had time to "fly" into it... She is amazed and keeps looking. It was not there 8 days ago when I had her look at it. She now says she cannot even see if there is fluid or inflammation because its in front of my ear drum! At this point, I am scared to death! She then resorts to pouring peroxide into my ear and having me hold it about 5 minutes, then hold my head straight up with a cotton ball to hold it in. She checked it again and said "Its breaking up! It must have just been earwax!". She could now see that I still have some fluid. She said the "tube" was now only a "half tube". She still said she had never seen anything like it. Does anyone have any idea HOW this could have happened?? A hollow TUBE in your ear made of ear wax?? I had used the ear candles about 3 weeks ago, but again, 8 days ago it wasn't there. She said I should flush it 2x a day with a mixture of warm water and peroxide and see if it breaks it totally up. Strangley, the other ear looked "clear as a whistle" with nearly no ear wax.

Offline T

• Adept
    • Red Umbrella Cosmetics
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2007, 04:27:37 AM »
You are getting better!  I don't know about the ear wax thing, although I would do the peroxide as often as I could until it's gone,  but the nose issue is a good sign in my book.  Switch to handkerchiefs and your nose will heal much faster when you stop blowing and wiping.  I know it sounds gross but it WILL make a difference.  Wash them in hot water a few times first to soften them up and you'll never go back to tissues!  One night with some salve on your nose and you won't look like Rudolf any more!