Author Topic: Heart Health, What do you do to keep your heart healthy???  (Read 6156 times)

Offline Thyme2BeeHealthy

• Learning
Heart Health, What do you do to keep your heart healthy???
« on: February 21, 2007, 09:17:40 AM »

Can we talk about "HOW" to keep our hearts healthy?

Here are some steps I take:

*  Exercice 90 minutes per day on my Smooth Fitness treadmill while listening to an audio book.

*  Keep my BMI under 25

* Eat the Mediterranean Diet

*  One cup or more per day grape juice

*  Roobos Tea

*  Use olive oil

*  Flax seeds (or flax oil) omega 3 fatty acids

*  psyllium husk  (with lots of water)

*  Oats

*  Walnuts (one hand full  per day)

*  Barley ( I use it to make Tabouli)

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

How about you?

Tabouli

1 cup Bulgar wheat
2 cups Boiling water
2 Tomatoes -- finely diced
1 bunch Green onions -- sliced
3 tablespoons Fresh mint -- chopped
2 cups Fresh parsley -- chopped
1/2 cup Fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup Olive oil
Black pepper to taste

1. Place uncooked bulgar in a bowl; pour in water over it and let it soak one hour (stir occasionally) 2.Drain well in a fine strainer. 3. Return bulgar to the bowl and add all other ingredients; mix well. 4. Chill for 2 hours.

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
Re: Heart Health, What do you do to keep your heart healthy???
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 09:18:56 AM »
Coq10 is good for the heart.

We also drink red wine!!

Offline Myjoy

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 10:20:41 AM »
Cayenne and Hawthorn berries are the best thing for the heart. The book "Left for Dead" is an excellent read on taking care of the heart. In there, the author talks about how he was going to die from heart problems and  instead, healed himself taking herbs. I got the book and herbs from www.morethanalive.com

Offline carolinachic

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 10:55:48 AM »
Thanks for starting this thread. My dh is dealing with heart issues right now. His family has horrible heart disease that is hereditary! :( I would love to hear more about keeping his heart healthy!!!
I love my kids! Austin 9, Avery 8, Haleigh 6, and Genevieve 4!!!

Offline Sunshine06

• Psalm 115
  • Adept
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 11:03:37 AM »
I would also love to hear more suggestions and resources. My dh's family has a history of heart issues and tho he has no problems currently, he is aware that he needs to take care of his heart. Unfortunately, he has the typical American view of what's healthy. That said - I'm looking forward to anything I can learn so I can pass it on to him. Thanks! :)
Non nobis, non nobis, Domine, sed nomini tuo da gloriam.
Not unto us, O Lord, not unto us, but unto Thy name give glory.

Offline Thyme2BeeHealthy

• Learning
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 12:07:51 PM »

One of the best ways of staying healthy is to know your BMI numbers. If your BMI is not 25 or under, you are at a BIG risk for heart disease. Find out what your numbers are at this link.

BMI Calculator    http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/

Offline Thyme2BeeHealthy

• Learning
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 12:16:07 PM »
For thoes who need an eye opener to get their heart healthy, just let them watch this PBS documentary. It just aired on V-tines day.

This show really is a MUST see for every American!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2,600 Americans died yesterday.
80 % of them died needlessly!

"The Hidden Epidemic: Heart Disease In America, a PBS Health Campaign special on the number one killer of Americans.  Learn when and how heart disease really become an epidemic in this country.

You can watch the complete special on your computer. Here....
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/takeonestep/heart/video-ch_01.html

This epidemic is almost entirely preventable through lifestyle changes.

The doctors say it is "Catastrophic" that so many are dying.
More women die of heart failure than breast cancer.

.............We doctors started to look at populations in other countries where the diet was different, like China. [We'd] find that the average cholesterol level was not 220 or 230, it was 150, Some as low as 127 and they had almost no coronary heart disease.   Also doctors found in countries where there was no coronary heart disease the people WALKED every where they went.

Americans imported heart disease to the rest of the world.

Offline lavendergirl

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2007, 01:04:43 PM »

i was told that a cholesterol level that low made you more prone to cancer ??? we know someone with a cholesterol level around 170-180 with terrible heart disease, so what's the truth :-\

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2007, 02:28:59 PM »
Playing soccer and chasing my kids around outside keeps my heart muscles strong.  We are enjoying a warm front, 65 degrees today, and we played outside ALL DAY!!
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline Thyme2BeeHealthy

• Learning
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2007, 03:55:39 AM »

I never heard of the cancer risk with low cholesterol numbers, but someone with a cholesterol level around 170-180 with terrible heart disease is in that 20 % of Americans that do have "family" heart disease.

........."Research released just this year finds a person with both a first degree relative like a parent or sibling who suffered from heart disease before age 60, and a second degree relative like an aunt, uncle or grandparent with a similar profile, is nearly ten times as likely to suffer from heart disease early in life than someone whose family history includes no heart disease," Dr. Senay said.

A person in that situation needs to get a thorough examination which will check for the other risk factors that contribute to heart disease. That means finding out about cholesterol and blood pressure levels and keeping weight under control.

"If you have a family history of heart disease, getting that information and treating those problems if they exist is something you delay at your own risk," she said.

A person who has a family history of heart disease may receive more intensive treatment than someone without a family history whose risk profile otherwise looks the same, Dr. Senay said.

"For instance, a doctor might ask a person with high cholesterol, but without a family history, to delay cholesterol fighting medication and try diet and exercise first, " she said. "But someone with the family history may be urged to begin statin drugs immediately."

Relatives in one's own generation – especially brothers and sisters – provide even better information about one's risk for heart disease.

"In short, the more family data you have, the better prepared you'll be to protect your heart health," she said.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/09/14/earlyshow/heartbeat/main2009393.shtml

Know your family history. Having a father or brother with heart disease before age 55, or a mother or sister with heart disease before age 65, are factors that contribute to heart disease. Inform your doctor about your family history.

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2007, 01:14:40 PM »
That's pretty much how I make tabouli except with cous cous instead of bulgar.

Offline oneblessedwoman

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2007, 03:29:36 PM »
Fun in the bedroom always gets my heart going.  ;D

Offline jessicah

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2007, 04:30:40 PM »
Do any of you know if it is OK to take herbs for your heart while you are taking meds for highblood pressure?

Jessica
Jessicah

Let me share with you how I keep my family healthy!
www.jessicahannonjuiceplus.com

Juice Plus+ the next best thing to fruits and vegetables. It is not that fruits and vegeis are just good for you, its that they can save your life

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2007, 05:29:13 PM »
OneBlessedWoman, you frequently write stuff I am too chicken to post  :D