Author Topic: Kombucha: Health Benefits  (Read 21084 times)

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
Kombucha: Health Benefits
« on: June 06, 2006, 02:25:32 PM »
This subject sure caught my eye! Our family has been brewing Kombucha for several months now and can hardly keep up with the demand even though we brew 5 gallons at a time!  ;D All our kids love it and it is so refreshing after working outside. We, too would have lots of extra mushrooms if anyone wants one.

For info I'll quote from Nourishing Traditions: "...the Kombucha "mushroom" (which is actually a symbiotic colony of yeast and bacteria) acts on sugar and tea to produce not only acetic and lactic acid but also small amounts of a potent detoxifying substance, glucuronic acid. Normally this organic acid is produced by the liver in sufficient quantities to neutralize toxins in the body- whether these are naturally produced toxins or poisons ingested in food and water. However, when liver function becomes overloaded, and when the body must deal with a superabundance of toxins from the environment-certainly the case with most of us today- additional glucuronic acid taken in the form of kombucha is said to be a powerful aid to the body's natural cleansing process, a boost to the immune system and a proven prophylactic against cancer and other degenerative diseases.

More importantly,kombucha is the cure for a hot day- it tastes delicious and refreshing. A fizzy, dark colored, energizing beverage, at the same time acidic and slightly sweet, this gift to the world from the Ural mountain region of Russia qualifies as the soft drink of the twenty-first century, the answer to the scourge of cola drinks that now wreaks havoc with the health of Western populations."

~B
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 02:27:21 PM by lotsaboys »

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
Re: Kombucha: Health Benefits
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2006, 05:32:06 AM »
I've had my culture going now for about two months. The best directions I have found are at Laurel Farms. While Kombucha cultures are somewhat forgiving, it is possible to kill them and turn them into yeast patties. Yep, I did. There is section on this site that has terrific step-by-step directions. I've viewed others, but I believe Betsy's are best.

The health benefits to my family have been so dramatic that I have considered purchasing another culture from Betsy (the first one was a gift from someone that purchased from Laurel Farms) just so that I can receive the literature from her. It sure would have been cheaper than all of the supplements and enzymes I tried from other sources!

My youngest has had loose bowels since he was born. My life had been one big poop party until this came along  ::)! Now my 3 year old has "big boy" poops and is gladly in the process of potty training. I thank God daily for this gift and have even shared a "baby" with my parents. My dad, without any other dietary changes, has increased energy and a flatter stomach. My mom, a diabetic, hasn't been as faithful with daily doses, but has also seen benefits. I think the doctors are going to have to lower her insulin meds. My husband works 10+ hour days at a physically demanding job, 6 days per week and comes home ready to play with the kids. He wouldn't take anything unless he saw the benefit, and he never likes to miss his Kombucha tea . . . and he's 57!
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)

Offline leslieincali

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2006, 01:58:43 PM »
Thanks guys that's the info I needed. I'm wondering if the more vinegary it tastes the healthier it is?

Offline Melly

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 09:56:31 AM »
I got this list of everything that kombucha is good for and everything you can use it for from the lady who gave my my start.  It's really interesting!  I'm just starting my first brew today.

1. Great beverage
2. Sense of well-being
3. Helps to relieve congestion in airways
4. Thicker hair
5. Energy boost
6. Straightened my hair out
7. KT is very effective on all types of arthritis. Helps control joint pain and helps with the deformed joints of rheumatoid arthritis.
7a. Helps repair the cartilage damaged in osteoarthritis, (if there is any present to build on).
7b. Helps Gout, (crystal arthritis), breaks down the crystals removing pain and sensitivity.
8. Great conversation piece
9. Licked Calcifying tendonitis
10. Helps with asthma and "hay-fever"
11. Has brought me into contact with some very caring people.
12. stress buster
13. very calming
14. Increase sex drive
15. Regulates Intestines.
16. Cured Candida Albicans, or (yeast infection) Overgrowth.
17. Aides digestion, prevents acid reflux
18. Addictive taste.
19. Eliminates or reduces heat rash.
20. Improved circulation/controlled venous stasis in shins 21. Clears and Improves skin
22. Makes a good hair rinse
23. Redundant 'Momma's" (Kombucha Colonies) make good brass cleaners
24. Helped take the "scales" from a friends Skin disorder 25. Makes a wonderful, soothing foot soak.
26. Shrinking large fatty tumor.
27. Flattening and fading old age carotene patches on the face.
28. Stops severe menstrual cramps
29. Makes a wonderful facial.
30. Made me much more mobile with my gout.
31. Oncoming headlights do not bother me as much.
32. Reduces / stabilizes blood pressure.
33. Prevents and helps heal bladder infections
34. Eases carpal tunnel syndrome
35. Heals boils and staph infections on skin.
36. Prevents oral canker sores
37. Prevents eczema and controls psoriasis
38. Household Cleaner: cuts grease, cleans stoves, bathroom tiles, windows, copper
39. Hair and nails grow faster
40. I can see the pupils of my eyes again without glasses. 41. More energy
42. Clears nail fungus and athlete's foot
43. Improves the sense of well being for people with liver Cancer
44. Helps an older woman feel and look younger
45. Helps Arthritis sufferers
46. Cleanses toxins from the system
47. Soothes burns and sunburn
48. Takes the sting and swelling away from Bee Stings
49. Good underarm deodorant
50. For some people; eliminates desire for alcohol, & helping to relax
51. Smashes flu and colds
52. Significant progress healing chapped lips from topical application of KT
53. Kombucha Colony makes a great poultice
54. Removes rust
55. Restores natural hair color, including eyebrows, for some people
56. Improved eyesight and eliminated "floaters"
57. Insect repellent, mosquitoes and fleas
58. Smoothes out Cellulite
59. Kombucha Colonies can be used as bandages
60. Eliminates warts
61. Very good for some people with AIDS/HIV+
62. Improved flexibility
63. Eliminates moles and age spots
64. Dried Kombucha Colonies make great "chew toys" for animals
65. Rejuvenating effect
66. Use Kombucha Colonies as washcloths- good for your skin 67. Menopause problems disappeared: night sweats, bloating stomach, mood swings.
68. Kombucha Colonies blended with KT and sugar make great Kombucha puree
69. I have noticed that Kombucha makes me feel brighter in myself
70. Kombucha gives long life and a merry heart!
71. Relieves Anxiety
72. Takes away constipation and hemorrhoids
73. Normalizes sleep patterns
74. Takes away aches and pains
75. Great morning stimulant (no need for coffee)
76. Cuts need for some medications in 1/2
77. Reduces or eliminates allergic symptoms
78. Athletes strength, stamina and recovery is much improved.
79. Fibroids less painful
80. People begin taking responsibility for their own health.
81. Removed scar tissue
82. Helped several people with digestive problems; Crohn's Disease and ulcerative colitis
83. Kombucha helps some with muscle aches and chronic fatigue
84. Sounder Sleep
85. Clears mucus from Bronchial passages
86. Helps with bee and jellyfish stings
87. Helps resolve some prostrate problems and difficulty with urination
88. The colony used on third degree burns forms a protective covering and greatly speeds healing and helps control pain.
89. Colonies kept in the refrigerator can be used on any burn immediately. Instantly takes pain out of the burned area and limits the area of the burn.
90. Help for Hammer Toes and Bunions
91. Reverses the aging process.
92. Helped keep my immune system strong
93. Prevented chronic fatigue syndrome outbreaks
94. Excellent for removing infection from the body
95. Dried Kombucha Colonies make good material for arts and crafts

Kombucha, like Love, " Makes those young, "Whom age doth chill, "And whom it finds young, "Keeps young still."

No health claims for Kombucha have been evaluated by the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA), nor has the FDA approved Kombucha to diagnose, cure or prevent disease. Please consult your health care provider about the use of Kombucha products in your particular case.

The “Benefits of Kombucha” list provided by:

Beverly B. Ferguson,
KOMBUCHA MANNA INTERNATIONAL™
Visit Kombucha Drops: Kombucha Manna Drops http://users.bestweb.net/~om/kmi/

Offline Myjoy

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 04:12:52 PM »
The Kombucha works well in a stainless steel pot too. I got a set of 3 at Walmart for $20 and use the middle size one to keep 1 1/2 gallons of kombucha going at one time. I'm about to start doing 2 gallons and I want to start a batch with Rooibos (Red) tea as well. I'll let you know how it goes. I've read that kombucha made with red tea has more healing properties. I was just trying to find the website where I read that, but didn't find it right now. I'll post it later if I find it. In the meantime, I thought this was interesting. It's a list of reported benefits from drinking kombucha:
   Acts as a gentle laxative, helping avoid constipation.
•  Aids in the relief of arthritis.
•  Cleanses the colon and gall bladder.
•  Rids in healthy digestion
•  Relieves colitis and stomach cramps.
•  Returns gray hair to it's natural color.
•  Helps stop non-infectious diarrhea.
•  Relieves bronchitis and asthma.
•  Clears up Candida yeast infections.
•  Regulates the appetite and reduces fat.
•  Aids with stress and insomnia.
•  Improves eyesight, cataracts and floaters .
•  Relieves headaches including migraines.
•  Put Lupus into remission.
•  Helps reduces the alcoholic's craving for alcohol.
•  Eliminates menopausal hot flashes.
• Clears acne, psoriasis and other skin problems.
• Thickens hair and strengthens fingernails.
• Enhances the sense of smell.
• Revitalizes the physical body and adds energy-including sexual energy!

This list is from the website kombucha2000.com.

Offline Maria/NHM

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 05:57:50 PM »
If the kombucha turns out sweet is it still good for you? I like the way mine tastes but I want to make sure I'm killing my Candida not feeding it ???. I only fermented 8 days since it was in a very warm cubbard. It is nice and bubbly.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 07:03:49 AM by tjmjfamily »
My Blog
http://naturallyhealthymommy.blogspot.com/
Learning and sharing about nutrition and herbs
My user name used to be Ella :)

Offline homeschooling madre

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2007, 05:19:09 AM »
... It's a list of reported benefits from drinking kombucha:
 •  Returns gray hair to it's natural color.
This list is from the website kombucha2000.com.

Okay, the kombucha2000.com reports one benefit of drinking kombucha is that gray hair goes away!  I've only been drinking it for a few weeks, but have any of you who have been drinking it longer noticed this?  That would be too wonderful!

Offline Mom_to_12

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2007, 04:04:52 AM »
Those of you who have been using Kombacha, do you have any benefits from using this tea?  There are a lot of claims on the internet.  It seems to cure almost everything from gray hair to obesity to cancer. 

Any testimonies?  I would love to learn more, especially how it may be helping any of you.

I just started my first batch, and am very excited to try it!  ;D
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 09:22:50 PM by Mom_to_12 »

YoopreMama

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2007, 10:33:46 AM »
OK, you "nuts" <I say this with much affection>   :-* , I am onto the kombucha thing...especially after reading WAY back a post from lotsaboys:

Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 08:25:32 PM » by lotsaboys

For info I'll quote from Nourishing Traditions: "...the Kombucha "mushroom" (which is actually a symbiotic colony of yeast and bacteria) acts on sugar and tea to produce not only acetic and lactic acid but also small amounts of a potent detoxifying substance, glucuronic acid. Normally this organic acid is produced by the liver in sufficient quantities to neutralize toxins in the body- whether these are naturally produced toxins or poisons ingested in food and water. However, when liver function becomes overloaded, and when the body must deal with a superabundance of toxins from the environment-certainly the case with most of us today- additional glucuronic acid taken in the form of kombucha is said to be a powerful aid to the body's natural cleansing process, a boost to the immune system and a proven prophylactic against cancer and other degenerative diseases.

I'm a nut on liver function right now, so this was compelling enough to give it a go--that and the generous offer of someone to send me a SCOBY!   :-*

I'll be back.... ::) :o  I need to read more and get ready to make my 1st batch (whatever that entails).

PS

In just scanning the kombu.de site instructions, I can see I'm going to have to explore what you're doing w/ this white sugar stuff...I can't believe that you all use it!   :o
« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 11:59:33 AM by YooperMama »

YoopreMama

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2007, 11:57:20 AM »
Those of you who have been using Kombacha, do you have any benefits from using this tea?  There are a lot of claims on the internet.  It seems to cure almost everything from gray hair to obesity to cancer. 

Any testimonies?  I would love to learn more, especially how it may be helping any of you.

I just started my first batch, and am very excited to try it?  ;D

OK, neighbor!  :D

I'm getting started w/ this thing soon,too.  My 1st SCOBY may be on the way!  :)

I read an early post on the Kombucha thread by lotsaboys that said:

That was compelling enough for me; I'm all for getting my liver straightened out!

and:

http://www.kombu.de/benefits.htm has a neat list.  You might have already seen it... ;)

I'm trying to talk yoopermom2 into making some, and uptrapperdansgirl would be for a get together, too.  :D Maybe a Kombucha party?   :D

Offline Mom_to_12

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2007, 04:44:47 AM »

I'm trying to talk yoopermom2 into making some, and uptrapperdansgirl would be for a get together, too.  :D Maybe a Kombucha party?   :D

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline yoopermom2

• Learning
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2007, 07:57:12 AM »
Okay, I didn't know there was a "cure" for gray hair, now you have my attention! :D  Actually I'm just trying to take it slowly here as I just ordered my vitamix  ;D and will be figuring out many new ways to eat more raw foods, esp. vegetables. 

But I AM VERY interested in hearing peoples' experiences with this Kombucha.  So please keep us posted.  Anyone been using this for a long time?  How do children like it?
Chris & Kelly with Jake 13, Hannah 12,
Emma 9, Daba 7, Nora 6, Tarike 3, Dade 2

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2007, 08:03:22 AM »
For those of us who have been making the Kombucha we all have read the part where you have to use "white sugar" only to get the best detoxification out of your kombucha.  But something that I have been thinking about is what did they use 100 years ago to make this?  Bleached(white sugar) has only been on the market for the last 50 years or so. 
I have read on a bunch of different Kombucha sites that this is an old drink made by many different countries for hundreds of years.  So, what is up, everyone?  ;D
Just some thoughts.

Offline Mom_to_12

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2007, 09:24:33 PM »
  Bleached(white sugar) has only been on the market for the last 50 years or so. 
I have read on a bunch of different Kombucha sites that this is an old drink made by many different countries for hundreds of years.  So, what is up, everyone?  ;D
Just some thoughts.

I was wondering about this too...

Offline Chas

• Learning
    • Homesteading on the Mountain
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2007, 07:11:45 PM »
I am interested in this too.  But I am also very new.  I don't know any more than you but hope to see some changes soon after I get my 'baby'.  I have some weight to lose and I need all the help I can get.  Happy Brewing! :D
Love,
Chas

Daughter of The Almighty
Wife to a Wonderful Man
Mom to 4 Beautiful Blessings
Homesteading on the Mountain

YoopreMama

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2007, 08:11:17 PM »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Hey!  :D  How's your kombucha? 

My 1st batch began steeping today. :D :D :D

Offline cherri

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2007, 07:46:16 AM »
Hello , I just found this website and I am so excited :D!! We have gradually been changing our Lifestyle for years.  I have been reading my Nourshing Traditions book and the Beeyoutiful newsletter, and I am ready to try some of the Kombucha tea.  Does anyone have a "baby" ?  I would be willing to pay shipping and any other costs you think are necessary.  I checked the website suggested www.kumbu.de  and everytime I try and click on to the site where you should find a list of people that have one it is not in english and I can not read it.  So any help would be great.  I know that I can purchase them on ebay but would rather get them from someone here if I could.  Thanks alot. :)
Cherri helpmeet to Todd for 18 years
Mother to 6

Offline Mom_to_12

• Adept
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2007, 08:14:36 AM »
Does anyone have a "baby" ?  I would be willing to pay shipping and any other costs you think are necessary.  I checked the website suggested www.kumbu.de  and everytime I try and click on to the site where you should find a list of people that have one it is not in english and I can not read it.  So any help would be great.  I know that I can purchase them on ebay but would rather get them from someone here if I could.  Thanks alot. :)

Cheri,
Try here, it is where I got my "baby":
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,5403.0.html

Offline diaperswyper

• Adept
  • A DOUBLE BLESSING!!
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2007, 09:24:19 AM »
  WE LOVE KOMBUCHA!!!!!!!!!! We went through 4 batches last wknd and had people asking for mushrooms. On the other hand, we like wine. ;D Seriously, our kids beg for it.(kombucha that is, not wine) We let it culture for around 7 days, i would like to let some go 9 or 10 and see what it tastes like. I feel incredible on it. I did get a bit of a headache on it at first, detoxing. It majorly helps my bloated feeling, keeps my system working......

Offline Mom_to_12

• Adept
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2007, 04:20:18 AM »
bump

Offline twitterpated4hubby

• Adept
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2007, 04:50:27 AM »
I'm not sure but i think it might be helping my constipation. I don't see a big energy boost yet, but maybe i haven't let it sit long enough yet.
http://keepyourcloveson.blogspot.com/2008_10_01_archive.html

"...I found the one my heart loves. I held him and would not let him go..." -Song of Songs 3:4

Offline Pastorswife2B

• Adept
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2007, 01:39:02 PM »
Just wanted to add a new benefit that I recently found.  This last week I hit the 'icky' part of my pregnancy, not really morning sickness more like food sickness (I feel sick when I see, smell, or am hungry for food).  But just the other day I happened to be sipping on my daily komboucha while prepping lunch which was kielbassa sausage  :-X :-X :-X I had started cooking the sausage and feeling ick just as I started sipping and boy the kombouch just nocked out the puky feeling completely!  It was wonderful!!  So now I'm drinking my boucha at every meal and it has done wonders, no throwing up so far!!

-Heather

YoopreMama

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2007, 02:16:12 PM »
Hey--
I think it was detoxing me too quickly for my tastes, so I took a break...in retrospect, I think it was really helping me out w/ energy.  :(
Maybe I'll try resuming it again this week... :-\

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2007, 05:32:19 AM »
Just wanted to add a new benefit that I recently found.  This last week I hit the 'icky' part of my pregnancy, not really morning sickness more like food sickness (I feel sick when I see, smell, or am hungry for food).  But just the other day I happened to be sipping on my daily komboucha while prepping lunch which was kielbassa sausage  :-X :-X :-X I had started cooking the sausage and feeling ick just as I started sipping and boy the kombouch just nocked out the puky feeling completely!  It was wonderful!!  So now I'm drinking my boucha at every meal and it has done wonders, no throwing up so far!!

-Heather

Hey, sounds great! I'll have to remember that! ;)

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2007, 06:22:08 AM »

-Heather
The ginger kombucha is working great for me too....used to use ginger ale, but this is alot less sugar  :-* and it is working better than the soda.

Offline twitterpated4hubby

• Adept
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2007, 06:40:40 AM »
Hey--
I think it was detoxing me too quickly for my tastes, so I took a break...in retrospect, I think it was really helping me out w/ energy.  :(
Maybe I'll try resuming it again this week... :-\

What were your symptoms from the detox? I get a headache sometimes after drinking it and i think it made my face break out. I must be needing  to drink more water.
http://keepyourcloveson.blogspot.com/2008_10_01_archive.html

"...I found the one my heart loves. I held him and would not let him go..." -Song of Songs 3:4

YoopreMama

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2007, 06:42:56 AM »
Itchy rash...and I KNOW I wasn't drinking enough water.   :(

Offline mamaoffour

• Adept
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2007, 05:42:20 AM »
Health benefits to report from using Kombucha:

Improved circulation_about 30 minutes after drinking it, I feel a sense of lightness in my legs.  My vein elasticity is improving in my calves.  After two pregnancies my circulation hasn't been the best.

cleared skin--I noticed this like the second day after using Kombucha.

Increased energy!! Yea!!!

helpful with constipation also.  This is a blessing for me!!  I struggle with constipation on a daily basis. So far so good!!  I also give Kombucha to my 16 month old and my 3 year old.  They love it!!  So far their immune systems have been stronger because of the Kombucha.  So far no more colds!!  Praise God for natural health!!

I hope to report more.  For all of you who aren't sure about it, give it a try, what do you have to lose.

"Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it(Prov. 22:6).

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2007, 06:53:39 AM »
Since we have the slowest dial up internet speed in the world, I haven't read all 5,000 pages about Kombucha. So, is it ok to start drinking this the first time while nursing???? I think I want to try it, but am unsure about the baby. She is 6 weeks old, and I am very careful about what I take. Thanks
 :)
Check this thread.  Kombucha: Side Effects, Risks & Warnings
  My favorite herb book!!

SagorFamily1611

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2007, 05:08:54 PM »
Going back to the original subject... My brother used to have to take B12 shots or he would get really moody and no energy ect, now that my brother has Kombucha to take he doesn't need to take it anymore!