Author Topic: Electrolyte Drink Recipes  (Read 18413 times)

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
Electrolyte Drink Recipes
« on: March 04, 2007, 06:48:01 PM »
"Labor Aid" Mix

1 qt water
1/3 c honey
1/3 c juice from a real lemon
1/2 t salt
1/4 t baking soda
2 crushed calcium tablets
Serve cold or freeze into small ice.

-Kim Mosny, CPM

Reprinted from Midwifery Today E-News (Vol 1 Issue 42, Oct 15, 1999)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Homemade Pedialite
A Doctor who is a missionary in El Salvador created this recipe.

1 quart water
8 tsp. sugar (I think I'd use honey instead)
1/2 tsp. salt
Fresh juice of 1/2 orange or 1 banana blended.

Mix all together.

I thought these may be useful to someone. Sounds like the second one would be more palatable, to me. I like the idea of adding the crushed calcium tablets from the first one and would probably try that, but I don't know what the baking soda is for.

WR

[searchterms = 'gatorade', 'gatoraid', 'pedialyte', 'pedialite', 'potassium']
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 05:41:52 AM by healthybratt »
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

YoopreMama

Re: Electrolyte Drink Recipes
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 03:16:28 AM »
Thank you!   :-* Been looking for these!   ;)

The calcium is a natural pain reliever, no?  Maybe the baking soda is to counter the lemon?

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 07:38:11 AM »
You're welcome!
Yeah, I think the calcium is for pain relief and it's supposed to calm you too. That's why I'm thinking of adding it for during labor.
WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 05:55:19 PM »
Anyone have any more recipes to add?
WR
Who Needs God?

Chels_Cary

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007, 06:46:21 PM »
Electrolyte Replacement Drink-

Electrolyte replacement drinks ensure that the body maintains its mineral balance, preventing dehydration, collapse. and shock. Do not use honey if your patient is under one.

8oz. water (warm or at room temperature)
1/4 tsp. baking soda
A pinch of salt
2 Tbs. or more of honey, sugar, or maple syrup

Combine all the ingredients.

You can administer the drink by tablespoonful often or by 1/4 to 1/2 cup every half hour or so.

I found this recipe in my "Natural Healthy Babies And Children" book.

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 02:25:26 AM »
I recently did a search for some homemade versions of a G*t*rade type of sports drink. I figured that by the time all of the artificial ingredients and sugars of the retail product have their way, I'm better off healthwise and financially knowing how to mix up my own. I found a complicated recipe and a simple recipe but haven't tried them. The first one is complicated and formulated to most closely resemble the commercial product. The second is a quick mix 'n go.

*  50 grams of glucose as dextrose monohydrate (available from most chemists).
    * 0.5 grams of sodium chloride (table salt). This is equivalent to about 1/7th of a level teaspoon.
    * 1.5 grams of sodium bicarbonate (baking soda). This is equivalent to about half of a level teaspoon.
    * Add the above ingredients to 500 mL of water from the cold tap. Mix thoroughly until completely dissolved.
    * Add 100mL of a commercially available sugar-free (low-cal) fruit cordial (experiment with different flavours to see what you like best). A citrus fruit flavour such as lemon or lime is a popular choice. Buy supermarket own brands to keep the cost low.
    * Finally add more cold water to top up to a total volume of 1 litre.
http://www.medicdirectsport.com/sportsnutrition/default.asp?step=4&pid=81

That's a bit complex. I also found this one:

* 1/2 cup honey
    * 1/2 teaspoon lite salt
    * 1/4 cup lemon juice
    * water
I believe that this is for 1 liter of water
http://www.roadcycler.com/2006/08/screw-gatorade-make-your-own-sports-drink/

I would use filtered and/or distilled water. For sweeteners, I would use either maple syrup or honey. I'm not quite sure, but I THINK you would be able to substitute citrus acid for the lemon juice -- although I wouldn't use the premixed citrus powder recommended in the first recipe.

Also, did anyone else notice how these seem to resemble the makeup of the Master Cleanser lemonade? You could probably add some cayenne pepper to this and have something that closely resembles MC. And that sends me off wondering if the Master Cleanser is actually a natural type of G*t*rade . . . . Hmmm?
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 03:36:05 AM »
Thanks, Whiterock! I did a search, but didn't think to search 'electrolyte.' I was just thinking about in relation to exercise & such. ( :-\ depleted brain cells!)

This also brings to mind an old remedy I have for stopping diarrhea and keeping someone from becoming dehydrated: Using G*t*rade or a similar recipe, prepare and administer an enema. This will end the diarrhea, but I reserve it for times when there is severe nausea along with dehydration & lowered potassium levels. Otherwise, I see diarrhea as a way for the body to cleanse itself of toxins.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 05:53:30 AM by healthybratt »
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 04:28:46 AM »
If you don't want to make one there is a natural electrolyte drink in the health food section of our Fred Meyers.  It's called Recharge and it works great!  There is no sugar in it but has the postassium an sodium needed to rehydrate.  I believe it has 100% fruit juice in it but don't quote me.  A good friend turned me on to this stuff and it's definately worth it.  One note, stay away from the lemon flavored.  Eeewww.  :P

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 05:23:51 AM »
If you don't want to make one there is a natural electrolyte drink in the health food section of our Fred Meyers.  It's called Recharge and it works great!  There is no sugar in it but has the postassium an sodium needed to rehydrate.  I believe it has 100% fruit juice in it but don't quote me.  A good friend turned me on to this stuff and it's definately worth it.  One note, stay away from the lemon flavored.  Eeewww.  :P

patti
Patti,
I don't know if you are still in the area but I know where to get Recharge really cheap.  I use it to  make popsicles  a n d give them to the kids on hot days.
I like to have coconut water around for a good electrolyte drink.

Offline CountyCork

• Master
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 05:46:10 AM »
RW Knudsen makes Recharge and we LOVE it here!
We use it for hubby's triathlons, after I give birth, following any kind of dehydration.  We like the Tropical Punch flavor the best.
If you can order through a buying club like UNFI, get it by the case and it's much cheaper.  It's in glass bottles and has a nice long shelf life.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2007, 05:53:01 AM »
Why not just throw some good sea salt and a bit of flavor, sweet, etc in some water?
  My favorite herb book!!

YoopreMama

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2008, 12:58:18 PM »
Bump for our preggo mamas...:)

Offline Maria/NHM

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2008, 01:12:27 PM »
"Labor Aid" Mix

1 qt water
1/3 c honey
1/3 c juice from a real lemon
1/2 t salt
1/4 t baking soda
2 crushed calcium tablets
Serve cold or freeze into small ice.

-Kim Mosny, CPM

Reprinted from Midwifery Today E-News (Vol 1 Issue 42, Oct 15, 1999)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This looks like the same recipe thats in Heart and Hands. I was thinking of combing all ingredients with just some of the water and freezing. When labor started you could put the frozen mixture in a blender and add the rest of the water hot. Then it would be made and ready for labor.
My Blog
http://naturallyhealthymommy.blogspot.com/
Learning and sharing about nutrition and herbs
My user name used to be Ella :)

Offline mauimom

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2008, 01:29:09 PM »
Don't forget to throw in some fresh coconut water if you can get it.  That stuff is so good for you they used to use it as a blood transfusion when they couldn't get the real stuff!  It is supposed to be a natural electrolyte drink.

Offline Roehrmomma

• Master
    • Polished cornerstones
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2008, 01:31:41 PM »
Don't forget to throw in some fresh coconut water if you can get it.  That stuff is so good for you they used to use it as a blood transfusion when they couldn't get the real stuff!  It is supposed to be a natural electrolyte drink.

This is all we use for electrolytes. SOOOOOOOO Yummy!  (Good for nursing mommas too! )

Emily

Offline maceoghain

• Adept
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2008, 06:41:09 AM »
Wow. This is exactly what I was looking for! Cool. The stomach bug is crawling through our house right now. Yuck.

I think I will include these in our cookbook!

I'm going to experiment with a "Probiotic Electrolyte Drink"...basically the recipes listed here, but adding some yoghurt and a BUNCH of Tummy Tuneup!

I'll let you know how it goes...

8) (<-- Me, wearing sunglasses to hide the sleep-deprivation circles under my eyes...)
kate
All the way my Savior leads me...

YoopreMama

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2008, 07:05:53 AM »
Kate, you are too cool!  :D  Some of these should already be linked in your drinks thread...;)

Offline maceoghain

• Adept
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2008, 06:01:49 PM »
...I don't know what the baking soda is for.

WR

[searchterms = 'gatorade', 'gatoraid', 'pedialyte', 'pedialite', 'potassium']

Baking soda neutralizes the acid in your stomach, helping to settle it. That's why eating "soda" crackers (like saltine crackers) helps to calm your tummy.

BTW...I am putting these in the cookbook!  ;D
All the way my Savior leads me...

Offline CrimsonRose

• {Christy}
  • Adept
  • Big sister to Wind_Dancer
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2009, 01:57:25 PM »
Thank you all for the drink recipes, ladies.  :-* My very pregnant mother is supposed to be drinking Gatorade to help her not feel woozy due to low blood pressure. However, with these recipes as guides, I think I can prepare a much better tasting (and healthy!) drink for her.  ;)

Sign the petition and say no to abortion!