Author Topic: My favorite way to take garlic is.....  (Read 65144 times)

FlappyEars

My favorite way to take garlic is.....
« on: March 31, 2006, 04:29:20 PM »
to mix the following...

Tomatoes
Basil (fresh is yummmy....dried works too)
Crushed garlic
Lemon Juice
Olive Oil (optional)
Cayenne Pepper(optional)
Salt to taste (optional)

I'm not so good at following recipes, so I just throw in what looks and tastes good to me.    This is delicious (in my opinion).  I usually make a large amount in a mixing bowl and make a meal out of it.  I love this anytime, but it's also such a great way to get a large amount of raw garlic down when you feel a "bug" coming on.   I'm lucky in that I love  garlic...just not plain raw garlic.  During normal times I'll just crush a clove or two.  When I'm getting sick....welll, about 6 large ones go in!!  For some strange reason my husband doesn't want to get too friendly after I've indulged in this yummy meal.  Can't imagine why.   ;D

Offline dara

• Master
Re: My favorite way to take garlic is.....
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 04:43:59 PM »
One of our favorite ways is to make roasted garlic- just pour a bunch of olive oil in your frying pan, and saute several minced cloves. Remove from heat just as it begins to turn golden. You can also add italian spices, and salt. Just dip your bread in, scooping the garlic up with it. My kids love it this way, and my garlic shy siblings enjoy it also. (Fancy Italian restaurants serve it this way...)
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 05:19:26 PM »
I love to cook with fresh garlic, but I hate to chop it for every meal.   ::)  ....So, I buy about 3-5 lbs at a time.  Then the whole family sits and helps me peel it (after soaking in water over night to loosen the skin).  By the time we're finished, we all reek of it, but it's family time.   ;D  Then, I take my little $5 food processor and mince it.  I take the minced stuff and spread it evenly across a cookie sheet lined with wax paper.  I then put it in the freezer for an hour or two until it becomes solid.  Then, I take it out and cut or break it into smaller squares, leaving the wax paper to keep the pieces separate when stacked.  Then I put the stack into a ziplock freezer bag and throw it back in the freezer.  Then when I want to cook with it, I just break a piece of and throw it in the pot.  If it needs to be soft prior to mixing, just nuke it for a few seconds or leave it on the counter for a few minutes prior to making your dish.  I only have to do this about twice a year and I put garlic in everything!

If I'm feeling a bug coming on..I get really brave...and break off "pill size chunks" and swallow like pills with a big glass of water.   :o  This can be a bit rough on the tummy.  It makes me burp for a couple of hours, but it's definately a fast easy way to get it in there.   :P
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 06:00:01 PM »
just a thought, to help you save some time--i used to freeze it too but all that peeling takes forever (sounds like such fun tho! ;D) i bought a pampered chef garlic press and rather than put the whole clove in with skin on like they say i just whack the clove with the press and the skin comes right off, then put it in and press it.  best 20 bucks i ever spent!!  we love it in everything too.  bruschetta, guacamole, and many different stir fry things, etc. 
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline mamasboys

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 03:50:41 AM »
My favortie garlic recipe is just throwing whole cloves (no mincing!) in my bread dough and making garlic bread.  As the bread bakes, it roasts the raw garlic and leaves a wonderful, mellow, garlicy bread.  Just butter and serve!  We accompany almost all our meals with this bread and it makes the house smell wonderful!  Leftover bread is great for sandwiches - not the pb&j type though!

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006, 06:34:03 AM »
yum sounds awesome!
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline KatieMac

• Master
  • Alice Magdalene
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2006, 10:58:15 AM »
I like tons of garlic in fresh salsa or guacamole! The last time my mom and I made fresh salsa I ended up eating the rest of it with a SPOON!

Offline natural

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2006, 11:27:25 AM »
"Mexican Chicken Chili"

1 Qt freshly home canned tomatoes

about 1- 2 cups chicken broth

1T. diced jalepenos (I used canned ones) more if you really like it hot

2-3 garlic cloves chopped (could add more)

1 C. diced chicken

I make homemade tortillas, then make my bean and cheese burrito, cut in half and place it in a bowl. Pour the "chili" over the top and (you could put sour cream and more cheese on top) then enjoy.

This is a very easy recipe as it only takes a few minutes to bring to a boil then simmer. I don't like to iver cook anything so this tastes even better the next day when all the flavors have mixed together.

Sister Sandra
4 yo Maciah: Mamma I am scared the wind is howling.
Me: Go to sleep Jesus will protect you.
4 yo Maciah: (stretching his chin to chest) But, but I can't see Jesus my head can't reach into my heart.

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2006, 01:52:49 PM »
Personally, I love raw minced garlic on my salad.  I know, I know, too hot for some, but I have an awesome recipe for when there is a hint of sickness.  It is from Aviva Jill Romm's vaccination book pg.  194

GARLIC LEMONADE

3 medium sized garlic cloves, chopped
Juice of 1 lemon
maple syrup(my favorite) or honey to taste.

Place the garlic in a 1 quart jar or conatainer and fill the jar with boiling water.  Let the garlic steep for 20 min.  and then strain it out.  Add the lemon juice and sweetner of choice.
She says to give a half to two cups daily, but only when sickness is coming on or present.  Not to be used everyday.  Just when needed.  It really tastes pretty good.  This REALLY does work! 

Hope this helps someone who may come down with a cold or somethin.

Offline KatieMac

• Master
  • Alice Magdalene
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2006, 02:19:30 PM »
I'll have to try that...just getting into natural healing :-)

Another thing I am addicted to is soft chicken tacos...I usally press a clove or two straight onto my tacos! YUM!

Offline momofmany

• Learning
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2006, 02:24:33 PM »
When we are feeling like we are coming down with something, this is our favorite way to eat garlic.  I chop up 3-4 heads of garlic and a bunch of parsley.  I cook a lb of ww spaghetti and then lighlty saute the garlic and parsley in olive oil.  I only do it until the garlic is warmed, then mix it in the hot pasta.  Oh, it is sooooo yummy.  Oh yeah, sprinkle some cayenne peppers on it and it'll cure what ails ya!  ;D.....momofmany

Offline DawnsEarlyBirds

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2006, 06:50:28 AM »
Perfect topic as the garlic is just about ready to be pulled in our garden.  Planted 400 bulbs last Oct. and my ten year old son has been saying for over a month he can't wait to harvest it!  There is something exciting about harvesting garlic that we just can't explain. 

We make "garlic soup" when we are sick, simple and very effective.

Chicken broth
grated garlic
grated fresh ginger route
tamari
Bring to a boil, then simmer for about 10 minutes.  You can strain out the garlic and ginger if you like, and just chomp it down.  My kids ask for this when they are sick.

There's no amount of any ingredient, just to taste.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2006, 07:18:07 AM »
Anyone every try homemade garlic syrup for cough?

Most of them include boiling the garlic, adding vinegar and honey or sugar to make sweet and syrupy.

I'm thinking I may want to try this.  Kids are still coughing and I'm going through fresh garlic pretty fast, trying to poultice them both several times a day.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline running free

• Learning
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2006, 08:20:32 AM »
Anyone every try homemade garlic syrup for cough?

Most of them include boiling the garlic, adding vinegar and honey or sugar to make sweet and syrupy.

I'm thinking I may want to try this.  Kids are still coughing and I'm going through fresh garlic pretty fast, trying to poultice them both several times a day.

Another version of the syrup (if you google "garlic cough syrup") involves putting a whole bunch of ingredients in a jar, covering them with honey, and leaving the mix in a warm place (such as a crock pot) for several hours - 2 weeks.  The general recipe, then, goes something like this:
Mince -
2 bulbs garlic
1/2 onion
1 1/2 inch piece ginger root

Add in 1 tbsp each of one or more of the following:
ground sage
ground thyme
cinnamon
rubbed oregano

+ a pinch of cayenne

cover with honey, put in a crockpot/warm spot and WAIT. take 1 tsp -  1 tbsp 3x per day.  Washing it down with a tbsp of apple cider vinegar or lemon juice in water would probably help clear the throat too.

Another option would be to dump all the ingredients (except the honey and cinnamon :P) in a pot and make garlicky chicken soup.

The "sharing remedies" page of the bulk herb store has a whole bunch of cough syrup recipes too.  Hope you all feel better soon! :)
But the beauty of grace is that it makes life not fair - Relient K

Offline Chickory Chick

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2006, 08:51:58 PM »
I love my pampered chef garlic press!  I like to add raw minced garlic to my salad!  I made a burrito filling the other day with canned kidney beans, mashed (my bean soaking experiences havent been very sucessful), chopped onion, minced garlic (about 2 cloved per can), chili powder & cumin.  I couldnt stop eating it raw, it was soo good.  Hummus is another way!  YUM!
Chickory Chick fka Kayinpa http://kayinpa.blogspot.com/

Offline Hope64

• Learning
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2006, 05:11:22 PM »
Garlic/Balsalmic Vinegrette

fresh garlic (minced) - I use a couple of big cloves
1/8 tsp. Italian seasoning
2 - 4 Tblsp. fresh grated parmesan cheese
2 Tblsp. Balsalmic Vinegar

Whiz in blender and add olive oil through the top until you reach the consistancy you want.  Very pleasant.  Make it thicker and dip fresh veggies in it.  Yum!!

hope64

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2006, 05:40:39 AM »
Check out this article on Garlic.  It's full of tech speak, but skim it and you'll see that garlic is scientifically reputed to be good for a number of things including fighting autoimmunity & cancer.  http://www.fluwikie.com/pmwiki.php?n=Consequences.Garlic
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2006, 05:50:06 AM »
This week at the chiropractor he said we need to chew.  We ususally mince(with pampered chef press, I peel it first too)but he said it was better if you can chew it so he suggested butter and garlic on bread and just eat it that way.  He said some German lady told an od dr friend of his that in Nov. every yr they eat the whole bulb and so his old dr. friend has done it ever since and is in great health.  I said the whole bulb at one sitting or throughout the month, he said at one sitting.  He said he is going to do it this year.  I said we will be sure and not come in that month!!  :D

Offline Kansas Girl

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2006, 10:18:44 AM »
  He said some German lady told an od dr friend of his that in Nov. every yr they eat the whole bulb and so his old dr. friend has done it ever since and is in great health.  I said the whole bulb at one sitting or throughout the month, he said at one sitting.  He said he is going to do it this year.  I said we will be sure and not come in that month!!  :D

WOW!!!! ;D  I don't think I could do that!!!  -KG
having a baby" border="0

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2006, 10:29:42 AM »
NO KIDDING.  My kids will do one clove and then think I have poisoned them.   :P

Offline hedy

• Adept
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2006, 11:10:16 AM »
Garlic Tea! Rebekah gave the idea awhile ago in NGJ. I just squish a clove through the garlic press, then pour hot (but not boiling) water over it. When I give it to my 5-yr-old, I water it down and add it to some juice. We'll take it at the first sign of sickness, and since we started this, we rarely get sick. I used to catch every bug that floated by. Unfortunately though, my husband won't touch the stuff!

We had a friend that lived several months on a ship in Russia, ministering with a large number of young people. Sickness was rampant. However, he ate an entire garlic BULB every day and never got sick. Of course, there is a lot of speculation on whether it was the garlic that protected him or the aroma!  :)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2006, 01:54:29 PM »
Of course, there is a lot of speculation on whether it was the garlic that protected him or the aroma!  :)

I can attest to this.  I try to avoid the store bought deodorants as much as possible and there is really no sign of BO due to the overwhelming smell of the garlic I ingest daily.   :o
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline yasmine

• Adept
  • God is my strength and my shield!
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2006, 10:22:07 PM »
My favortie garlic recipe is just throwing whole cloves (no mincing!) in my bread dough and making garlic bread.  As the bread bakes, it roasts the raw garlic and leaves a wonderful, mellow, garlicy bread.  Just butter and serve!  We accompany almost all our meals with this bread and it makes the house smell wonderful!  Leftover bread is great for sandwiches - not the pb&j type though!
that sounds great, im gona try it!!!

Also I crush a clove or 2, big ones, and mix it in plain goat yogurt (or cow is okay too) and thin it with  a small amount of water add sea salt to make it salty.....yyyuuummmm
My dad who is from the middle east , drinks it almost every day!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2006, 10:26:56 PM by yasmine »

Offline yasmine

• Adept
  • God is my strength and my shield!
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2006, 10:30:19 PM »
Anyone have any idea what to do if you love galic but hub wont come near me if I eat it! I've pretty much stoped all garlic for a while . He wont eat it for me either: you know , so that he would smell too!!!

Offline diaperswyper

• Adept
  • A DOUBLE BLESSING!!
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2006, 11:13:54 AM »
If your husband can't take the garlic smell, buy the odorless garlic from "beeyoutiful.com" I am hugely impressed with it.( They can thank me later for the sales pitch.) ;D My yr. old son will chew the capsule right down. It's a soft capsule, and all my kids will take them. My husband has high blood pressure, and has taken several different garlic capsules, and said on these, he could tell a difference immediately. Fortunately, we love raw garlic, so we cook with alot of garlic, and our kids also take raw garlic with honey, in the winter when there's a bug going around. :o Hey, it pleases Daddy, and besides, they don't have a choice. Outside of God, daddy is the ultimate authority in our home, and when he says open up, they say "how far." Love my mr. commander.
   I also woke up one sunday morn. with the beginnings of a breast infection, so i started dumping the garlic capsules and probiotic in my system, and went to church, and the infection cleared up. Thank you , beeyoutiful! And i didn't even smell. ;D

Offline kjmsmum

• Learning
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2006, 03:19:27 PM »
My children eat raw minced garlic in big spoonfuls with raw honey drizzled on top! They beg for it!! I tried that twice and "like to died!!"  ;) so have to stick with cooking it in everything or swallowing garlic  pills at the first touch of sickness

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2006, 06:00:52 PM »
If your husband can't take the garlic smell, buy the odorless garlic from "beeyoutiful.com" I am hugely impressed with it.( They can thank me later for the sales pitch.)

THANK YOU FOR THE GREAT REVIEW!!! MAY ALL YOUR GARLIC EXPERIENCES BE GREAT ONES...
Honey Sunny in complete exasperation:
"JOE!!! You DOUGHNUT COCONUT COCONUT COCONUT!!!"

Offline homekeeper

• Learning
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2006, 03:54:44 AM »
My new favorite way is internally as treatment for a yeast infection!  I am shocked that it knocked it out!  I felt one coming on, and bruised up and inserted a garlic clove overnight for about 3 nights!  It didn't get worse, it got better!  I'll never use a store-bought remedy again!  The funny thing was, I would lay down at night and I could swear I smelled garlic coming up from my throat!  It had to be psychological!  Don't you think?

Amanda
My 2 1/2 year old was walking around "reading a book".  I hear her say "And God created the world with a big hug..."

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2006, 04:00:18 AM »
I don't think it was.   ;D  I used one as a suppository and uh, well, I smelled/sensed it for days!!  It definitely knocks out itching.  Is cooked garlic very beneficial?  I thought heating things took out the goodness.  IF it is just as good cooked I am going to roast some and eat it that way it is soooo good.  Have any of you been to Johnny Carinos?  I don't know....maybe it's just local?  But (I refuse to say okay I know this is bad  :D)they have roasted garlic and olive oil to dip your bread in.  MMMMM.   ::) 

Offline amazonmama2five

• Adept
    • Amazonmamasadventures
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2006, 04:14:56 AM »
No, it was not your imagination.  Somewhere on here or the bulkherbstore site Rebekah or Gabe, I can't remember who, said if you rub it (garlic oil) in the soles of your feet in several hours the smell will be on your breath.  I can attest to this we did garlic poultices on our 10 yr. old son and boy did he reek for awhile!

We use about a bulb a day in whatever we are cooking for lunch.  I have noticed a difference in our over all health since we upped the amount we use per day.
We also take raw garlic with honey at the first sign of ANY thing.  It really seems to help stave off the illnesses.  And the kids don't complain, they have seen the difference!

I found a capsule machine on the internet <a href="http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/cgi-bin/Main.pl?AID=079749&BID=30>Mountain Rose Herbs[/url] and my Mom sent me some bulk garlic powder and we are making our own capsules!  It is great and the MAN will take these where he won't touch the honey/garlic syrup with a 10 ft. pole!  But beware! you STILL stink! :D  These homemade capsules are NOT odorless!
Have a blessed day all!
Lisa
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 02:10:52 PM by healthybratt »
He is no fool that gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.~Jim Elliot
My Intro
Visit our site!