Author Topic: Cultured Cabbage Juice  (Read 25943 times)

Offline LoveSunflowers

• Master
Cultured Cabbage Juice
« on: March 14, 2007, 08:17:44 AM »
I'm challenging you ladies to try the cabbage juice next...we "lovingly" call it cabbage crap!  :D The best way I can describe it, sorry if I offend anyone, is like drinking what I imagine a glass of farts would taste like!  ;) But, I can drink while I am pregnant, I'm sure even the weakest stomach could handle it.
Cabbage juice is used to improve intestinal flora. It's good for digestion. Since you are already drinking beet kvass twice a day, why not add the cabbage juice at meal times???
I've also recently read that beets and cabbage are two good veggies for people with cancer. The must be a good combo.
Did I inspire anyone to go run out and buy some cabbage??
Jessica :)

YoopreMama

Cultured Cabbage Juice
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 09:15:08 AM »
I'm challenging you ladies to try the cabbage juice next...we "lovingly" call it cabbage crap!  :D The best way I can describe it, sorry if I offend anyone, is like drinking what I imagine a glass of farts would taste like!  ;) But, I can drink while I am pregnant, I'm sure even the weakest stomach could handle it.
Cabbage juice is used to improve intestinal flora. It's good for digestion. Since you are already drinking beet kvass twice a day, why not add the cabbage juice at meal times???
I've also recently read that beets and cabbage are two good veggies for people with cancer. The must be a good combo.

I about spit out my food when I read this!  :D  ;D You nut! 

I did buy cabbage today...but intended it for sauerkraut.  Hmm.  Sauerkraut or a glass of f*rts...Tough choice.  :o

Wait 'til HB sees this post!   :D  I may select kim chee before this one!   :)

Offline LoveSunflowers

• Master
Cultured Cabbage Juice
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 09:50:51 AM »
Oh, come on YooperMama! I thought out of anyone, you'd be up for a bit of a dare!  ;)

Nickole

Cultured Cabbage Juice
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 10:05:02 AM »

That is hysterical!  I have some cabbage I am going to boil.  I'll have to taste and let you know if I agree with your, uh, description of the taste.   

Offline LoveSunflowers

• Master
Cultured Cabbage Juice
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 11:21:31 AM »
Good thing I never plan on writing a book! My husband tells me I am way too honest! But, cabbage juice is in the NT book. You can have your hubby blame me...I can handle it! Really, it isn't that bad. Haha...I did actually drink it while I was pregnant and I had a hard time with lots of food. It does settle the longer it sits, just like the beet kvass. It's just as easy to make as well.

Let me know how it goes...maybe we can motivate some others and start a new thread! :)
Jessica

YoopreMama

Cultured Cabbage Juice
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 12:03:48 PM »
Aw, Pennie, you never fail to make me grin!  :D  The one-liners hook me, too!  How do you think I got on that oil-pulling kick?!   :D

I do think we should start a new thread and let Jessica have the dubious "honors".   ;)

I'll read my recipe tonight...and ponder...does it make one, um, gassy? Must not, if it's good for digestive ails. Hmm...I'm game!   ;D

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Cultured Cabbage Juice
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 12:15:41 PM »
The best way I can describe it, sorry if I offend anyone, is like drinking what I imagine a glass of farts would taste like! 
Hubby said "sign me up for some of that".   ::)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline LoveSunflowers

• Master
Cultured Cabbage Juice
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 12:43:32 PM »
As for the cabbage juice, gas is not a side effect. It's kind of nice to eat cabbage and not have to worry about the smell of evidence that you ate cabbage! :)
My hubby will drink it with hot sauce in it! Woo! It is suppose to be good for a sore throat but he likes the combination of tastes.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 12:48:54 PM by healthybratt »

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
Re: Cultured Cabbage Juice
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2007, 12:49:49 PM »
As for the cabbage juice, gas is not a side effect. It's kind of nice to eat cabbage and not have to worry about the smell of evidence that you ate cabbage! :)
My hubby will drink it with hot sauce in it! Woo! It is suppose to be good for a sore throat but he likes the combination of tastes.
Hubby likes V8 and the occasional bloody mary.  Do you think this would be similar to either of these beverages?  Do you think adding alcohol would change the effects of the juice?
  My favorite herb book!!

YoopreMama

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2007, 04:26:06 PM »
OK, ;) I'll make some tomorrow after reading in NT (p. 614, Tonics):

Cabbage juice is highly valued as a folk remedy.  Its healing powers may be related to its high sulphur & chlorine content, which in combination is said to exert a powerful cleansing action upon the mucous membranes of theintestinal tract.  Cabbage juice has been used in the treatment of arthritis,gastrointestinal ulceration, SKIN DISORDERS, & obesity. "Cabbage waters for the complexion," is a truism among the Irish.

I'll take this stuff over some of her other "tonics" (raw liver drink and Pottenger liver cocktail).   :-X :-X :-X :-X

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2007, 04:45:47 PM »
OK, ;) I'll make some tomorrow after reading in NT (p. 614, Tonics):

Cabbage juice is highly valued as a folk remedy.  Its healing powers may be related to its high sulphur & chlorine content, which in combination is said to exert a powerful cleansing action upon the mucous membranes of theintestinal tract.  Cabbage juice has been used in the treatment of arthritis,gastrointestinal ulceration, SKIN DISORDERS, & obesity. "Cabbage waters for the complexion," is a truism among the Irish.

I'll take this stuff over some of her other "tonics" (raw liver drink and Pottenger liver cocktail).   :-X :-X :-X :-X

My dh drinks lots of raw cabbage juice to help his GERD and it has worked wonders!!  Is this cultured cabbage juice made the same way as the recipe posted for beet kvass?  I'd like to make some.
"...plain Kate, and bonny Kate, and sometimes Kate the curst..."

YoopreMama

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2007, 04:52:01 PM »
Yes, I believe they are about identical recipes,...whey, salt water, 2 qts, 2 days...'cept the cabbage is shredded and pounded briefly.  Thanks for the testimony!   :D
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 04:53:42 PM by YooperMama »

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2007, 04:55:56 PM »
Yes, I believe they are about identical reicpes,...whey, salt water, 2 qts, 2 days...'cept the cabbage is shredded and pounded briefly.  Thanks for the testimony!   :D

Thanks, YooperMama.   ;D  Yeah -- dh occasionally gets inflamation that becomes a sore on his esophagus and drinking the cabbage juice has been amazing -- albeit, his breath smells like a rotten egg afterward.    :P :D

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2007, 06:10:04 PM »
albeit, his breath smells like a rotten egg afterward.    :P :D
Hubby wants to know if that's "with" or "without" farts?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline LoveSunflowers

• Master
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2007, 05:53:32 AM »
Woo! If you want dragon breath, have the Super Tonic that's posted on here somewhere! (garlic, ginger, onion, horseradish, hot peppers and ACV) I can't even sleep facing hubby when he eats this stuff!!
HB, I believe if you added tomato juice, you would have a slightly sour V8. As for a bloody mary...what's in it? I'm not sure what the alcohol would do to the juice though. You might have to experiment.
The nice thing about the cabbage juice, is that one medium head of cabbage makes eight quarts. Goes down slower than the beet kvass so you don't have to make it as often.
Jessica

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2007, 06:16:54 AM »
albeit, his breath smells like a rotten egg afterward.    :P :D
Hubby wants to know if that's "with" or "without" farts?

Definitely "with".    :P ;D

YoopreMama

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2007, 06:42:15 AM »
Woo! If you want dragon breath, have the Super Tonic that's posted on here somewhere! (garlic, ginger, onion, horseradish, hot peppers and ACV) I can't even sleep facing hubby when he eats this stuff!! Jessica

That's what we call "brew"!  I love that stuff!  :D

YoopreMama

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2007, 09:02:39 AM »
OK!  8)

My cabbage juice is brewing.   :o 

Good way to utilize the benefits of a head of cabbage rather cheaply.  I wonder what dill added to it would do...maybe some spices to make it more pickled-like?   ???

I'll check in on Tuesday... :P  :D

Offline amazonmama2five

• Adept
    • Amazonmamasadventures
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2007, 10:09:13 AM »
Hey Jen,
Do you know if you can use something other than whey?  I have some in the back of the fridge, but it has been there a good long while (not even sure how long  :P ).  Anywhey, I don't want to ruin my kvass and cabbage tonic if the whey is bad.
Thanks!
Lisa
He is no fool that gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.~Jim Elliot
My Intro
Visit our site!

Offline amazonmama2five

• Adept
    • Amazonmamasadventures
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2007, 10:13:29 AM »
Okay, we just checked the whey and threw it out!  It has probably been there close to a year.  :-[  So, I really hope there is something else we can use....  I have Celtic sea salt.  I guess I will go and read some more in the NT cookbook.
Thanks,
Lisa
He is no fool that gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.~Jim Elliot
My Intro
Visit our site!

Offline LoveSunflowers

• Master
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2007, 05:19:39 AM »
I know that they say whey has a 6 mos. shelf life, but you can use it longer. If it grows mold, just skim it out and use. I haven't tried it because we can get a ton of whey from my hubby's aunt. She makes cottage cheese. But, I can understand not wanting to ruin good stuff.
Jessica

Offline LoveSunflowers

• Master
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2007, 12:28:52 PM »
Okay YooperMama...it's Tuesday! How'd it go? :o

YoopreMama

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2007, 02:39:41 PM »
Okay YooperMama...it's Tuesday! How'd it go? :o

Talk about accountability!  You're not going to let me get away w/ not sampling it, huh?  :D  Good for you!   ;D

Well.  I moved them into the refrigerator.  ;)  One was in a pickle jar and that one smells "yummier", but I must agree w/ your assessment...smells like a jar of *****.   :P I'm drinking some awful dandelion, burdock and chicory tea right now, so it can't be worse than that--I'll go try it...
Well...you know what...I rather like it!   :o 8)

The one w/ kefir whey in the pickle jar was actually more flavorful...I like sauerkraut, so maybe that's why I didn't mind it...more pleasant than beet kvass!  :D

Thanks  :-* for challenging me to do something I might not have ever done...I'm encouraged by its beneficial reputation...

So, who's next?   ;D  HB?  Abbilynn?

Offline LoveSunflowers

• Master
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2007, 08:33:25 AM »
I am going to publicly praise cabbage juice! I figure it needs a boost for people to go out and try it! There is a wonderful stomach bug going around our family...both ends!  :-X But, I have not gotten it! Hubby is still a bit weak from his bout on Sunday/Monday. Last night my belly started to feel uneasy so I got up and took some Tummy Tune Up. Throughout the day I have felt crampy and dizzy. However, I have been consuming cabbage juice and beet kvass alternatively and I am feeling better. After each drink the crampyiness, goes away and everything I have eaten is staying in! I've also been sipping kefir throughout the day but it is not making me feel better.
I do believe it is the cabbage juice and the beet kvass that are keeping my insides together. In my house, I am the most consistent in taking them. I just thought I would pass on my love for cabbage juice today.  :-*
Okay, I am going to go nap while my little one does...
Jessica

YoopreMama

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2007, 06:23:27 PM »
I agree--the stuff does good things.  I rather like the taste....I mix the 2 (kvass and cabbage juice)...but the dentist thinks the kvass is staining my gums!   :o

Offline robin22

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2007, 10:10:23 AM »
   Does anyone know if drinking the broth from cooked cabbage has a good effect?  I've recently been diagnosed with gerd.  I've never been troubled by indigestion, but suddenly started waking at 4am with back and chest pain.  I'd get up and then start burping  which would last until suppertime.  I eat all of the foods you're told to avoid.  My doc gave me aciphex, which is helping a little( it's been 4 days) or it could be having the bed raised.  I don't want to take this more than 4 weeks, neither does he.  But I wondered how my body is digesting food without the stomach acid, does anyone know.  I am going to get the aloe vera juice, drink marshmallow tea, and try the slippery elm throat drops.  I wonder if I should wait until I finish the meds to start the natural things.  Any feedback would be appreciated.  When I look back on this for a few months before I got the pain, my back itched alot and I felt uncomfortable sleeping on my side because I felt the need to have my chest expanded.  So there were some symptoms before the pain and burping.  Thanks for your posts. 

YoopreMama

Re: Cultured Cabbage Juice--sneaking it in....
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2007, 08:50:10 AM »
I don't know about the cooked cabbage juice, but I would think there'd still be some benefit.   ???  The cultured stuff is very easy and not bad at all to drink--just DON'T smell it!   ;)

I made some hash the other night (fried meat, potatoes, carrots, onions, CABBAGE, etc).  I put some of the cultured juice in and it was fabulous--added a good flavor and everyone loved it!   ;D  How else can I sneak it in to things...definitely NOT smoothies!?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 09:58:21 AM by YooperMama »

Offline LoveSunflowers

• Master
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2007, 09:36:39 AM »
My FIL drinks all the juice from cooked veggies. I would assume it's good for you. But, I agree with YooperMama the cultured stuff is easy to do and it great for you.
Jessica

Offline LoveSunflowers

• Master
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2007, 04:43:05 AM »
   Does anyone know if drinking the broth from cooked cabbage has a good effect?

I was reading from the Nourishing Traditions book today and decided that it isn't a good idea to drink the broth from cooked cabbage or any vegetable. All though there may be minerals present in the water from the cooked veggies there are also the pesticides and nitrates from commercial produce as well as oxalic acid. Oxalic acid blocks calcium and iron absorption. Oxalic acid also irritates the mouth and intestinal tract.

That is just some food for thought.
Jessica

Offline LoveSunflowers

• Master
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2007, 04:21:28 AM »
Sorry I didn't post this earlier. It is on page 614 in the NT book.

1/4 organic green cabbage
1 tbsp of sea salt
1/4 whey
filtered water
Makes 2 qts.

Shred cabbage finely with a stainless steel knife and pound briefly with a meat hammer or a wooden pounder. Place in a 2 qt. jug with salt, whey and enough water to fill the container. Cover tightly and leave at room temp. for 2 days before transferring to refrigerator.

When I make this I use the whole head and make 4- 2 qt. jars so I don't have to make it for awhile. But, we also have an extra frig. in the barn for storage.
Jessica