Author Topic: Kombucha: Alternate Uses for Brew & SCOBY's  (Read 34408 times)

Offline ~esposita~

• Master
    • Family Fotos
Kombucha: Alternate Uses for Brew & SCOBY's
« on: August 08, 2006, 02:22:43 AM »

...those little brown floaters in the brew...

What about big clear jelly-like floaters...kinda feel like frog eggs...are they "safe"?
My attempt at blogging:  The Carpenter's Wife

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Kombucha: Alternate Uses for Brew & SCOBY's
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006, 07:45:22 AM »
My kombucha is making tiny babies in the capped bottles.  I'm thinking swallowing this may be beneficial to the health, but it tends to trigger the gag reflex and make the drink less palatable as it's kinda like drinking a big booger - GROSS.   :P  Is this normal.  Do I just have to strain this out every time I open a bottle or would a brewing variation take care of this "problem"?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline annafogg1

• Adept
  • Our 'Babies', Summer and Sarah Rose
    • Anna Fogg
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2006, 10:54:42 AM »
My kombucha is making tiny babies in the capped bottles.  I'm thinking swallowing this may be beneficial to the health, but it tends to trigger the gag reflex and make the drink less palatable as it's kinda like drinking a big booger - GROSS. 
~~Ok, HB, that was funny!  I can see you doing that, as the first store-bought bottle of Kombucha we bought has all of those floaters....so now, I strained 'em all out, made up some sugary green tea, and added the floaters in, plus an ounce of the ready-made Kombucha, and GUESS WHAT?  In 2 days, it is so fizzy and bubbly!  It bubbles up just like a Coke.  Ok, so do I keep it culturing?  Am I not to unscrew the top anymore? I left lots of room in the top of the bottle....I am hoping these will grow in time -- anyway, it's still neat to make your own 'soda' that is also a bottle of health.

~anna in md of Little Bird Quilts
see my quilts and family at _http://tinyurl.com/3q824
I am: The Righteousness Of Christ & the Wife of 1 Hunky Carpenter, Mom of 7, Jade-20, Zach-18, Noah-16, Nadia-13, Eliza-Jane-10, Summer-8 & Sarah Rose-7~
Folk Artist, Quilt Instructor/Designer, Taxi Driver, Reader of Great Books, Chef of Mega-Sized Meals, CottageGardener, Read-Alouder, Hair Doer

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 12:39:10 PM »
If you have extra colonies you can't give away, put them into a blender with some fermented Kombucha Tea and pulverize them into a cream. This cream can be used on the face as a skin cleanser, or, when put on abrasions, it seems to help them heal faster. You can also toss them into your compost bin for use in your garden.

from
http://users.bestweb.net/%7Eom/%7Ekombu/FAQ/part01g.html#BM76

Here's a link with a lot of other uses for Kombucha too.
http://www.happyherbalist.com/KOMBUCHA_recipes.htm
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 06:27:00 AM »
Ok ladies and gentlemen, tell me what to do with Kombucha that is too strong. It tastes exactly like apple cider vinger, I can't drink it. Is it useful for anything? Can I pour it on my garden or would that be bad for the soil? I don't use vinegar that often so I don't think I could use it up by sub'ing it for that. So, what do you do when you've let your kombucha go too long?

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline Lovin'myHoneyinVT

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006, 07:01:51 AM »
Is it safe to use it as a bath soak?  I have used cider vinegar for this in the past and maybe that would be similar health wise?  You can also add fruit juice concentrate to it and make it sweeter.  My kids love it this way.  Melissa

Offline blsd2bhome

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2006, 07:03:12 AM »
Ok ladies and gentlemen, tell me what to do with Kombucha that is too strong. It tastes exactly like apple cider vinger, I can't drink it. Is it useful for anything? Can I pour it on my garden or would that be bad for the soil? I don't use vinegar that often so I don't think I could use it up by sub'ing it for that. So, what do you do when you've let your kombucha go too long?

WR

I don't know about the soil thing, but I know on Dom's site he has other uses for Kombucha (or maybe it was on here).  I read you could use it instead of vinegar, like on your skin, rinse your hair with it, or soak your feet in it to clear a fungal infection.

My last batch was also "apple cider vinegar" tasting.  I took some to Christmas, and my mom tried it and said it tasted like "turned cider".  She drank it all, but I am trying some ginger in my next batch, and I really want to try pink(cranberry) Kombucha otherwise my family will never drink it on a regular basis.  We all suffer from yeast symptoms, so I was hoping it would help the kids detox (along with TT8).  But I have to get them to drink it first!!!

So I have an additional question....
Is this just what it tastes like, or am I brewing mine too long also?  There are no references, that I have found, that describe what it "should" taste like.  Some of you have the whole family drinking it, and I wonder if you just aquire the taste, or if your tea just tastes different.  Also, can you add honey or something to help the "vinegar" taste after it has been brewed? Or does that hurt the benefical factors of the tea?

Thanks
blsd2bhome

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 04:07:53 PM »
Alright, just out of curiosity, has anyone ever taken a bite out of a mother or scoby?  :)

Offline Melly

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2007, 04:33:34 PM »
Alright, just out of curiosity, has anyone ever taken a bite out of a mother or scoby?  :)

I think I've heard of people dehydrating them and eating like jerky!  Supposedly they are very sweet!  You go first.

I have a question.  I made Rebecca's recipe but the recipe never said what size jar to put the brewed tea into.  I filled a two gallon jar.  It's been going for six days and I tasted it and it's awful!  So bitter!  Anyway, was that recipe just for a gallon jar?  My quart jars turned out yummy.

Offline RB

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2007, 06:14:27 PM »
We have some friends that  chop up the scoby and  eat it with their salad.    They say it taste very good!
My sister and her husband  would feed their extra mushrooms to their  horses.  They  really liked them and it  gave them shiny coats.  I myself have never tried to eat them.  :P
Whatsoever things are lovely ...think on these things.  Phil. 4:8

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2007, 03:05:26 AM »
  You go first.

Ha ha! I already tried it, but wanted to know if anyone else was as weird as I was.  It tasted real sour and made my belly "wiggle" funny.  Like when you don't digest something properly.   :P

Offline jenny4wen

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2007, 03:28:56 PM »
Bread Using Kombucha-Made in a Bread Machine

Makes one loaf
Ingredients:
1/4 to 1/3 cup kombucha plus water to make 1 1/2 cups total
3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 tsp. barley malt flour (or dough enhancer)
3 Tablespoons vital wheat gluten
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. SAF active dry yeast (ess than most recipes require)
2 Tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons melted butter or olive oil (or other nutritive fat)

Directions:
1. On the day before planning to bake, in the afternoon or early evening: Put kombucha, water, and flour into the bread machine pan.  rn the dough cycle until ingredients are just combined.  Cover with plastic wrap and leave in the bread machine to soak overnight.  This soaking time breaks down indigestible elements in the whole grains, and also makes the loaf tender and very tasty with an improved texture.

2. On the day of baking, about 12-20 hours after beginning to soak: Add remaining ingredients to the bread pan and begin the dough cycle (or the whole wheat cycle, if baking in the pan). After the dough cycle is finished, remove from the bread machine pan.  Punch down and shape the loaf in a greased bread pan (for use in the oven).  Bake at 350 F for about 25-35 minutes, or until the top, sides and bottom of the loaf have browned. [If the soak lasts longer than 20 hours, the gluten development of the bread will be hindered and the loaf will tend to spread instead of rise in the pan.  It still makes an excellent flatbread shapped on a baking sheet.  If you wish, before baking brush with melted butter or olive oil and sprinkle on your favorite herbs, spices, or seeds.]

Have Fun!  :D

« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 07:16:46 PM by jenny4wen »
I'm smiling! :D

Offline Laura L.

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2007, 08:11:08 AM »
Hello Everybody, I am new here and want to share some tips:

I do Kombucha bread without yeast, because the Kombucha tea has a lot of natural yeast it self!
Just mix the Kombucha tea with the flours you choose, leave it in a warm place during the night, or some hours, then join it again put it in the mould you choose , wait for it to grow again and put in the oven when is very hot but in the moment you put it in make it medium low temperature.

I do it by hand, is fun and lovely. It doesnt take long...and you can add seeds, spices, fruits, salt, honey, cheese, vegetable, etc.

I also do fermented fruit with kombucha: Put the fruit you prefer in a glass jar, ad the kombucha tea to the level as usual, cover with a fabric, leave in the shedy. The fruit will change getting pickled and tangy, kind of natural preserved.
I use this fruit in the blender for a shake with other fruit, yogurt, almonds,
 etc.
Also is good to make chutney. Mash the fruit, add spices, salt, honey, garlic, onions, some herbs and is a beautiful fruit sauce for rice, cheese, pasta, eggs, meats, bread, etc.

I would like to know your experiments too!

have fun and get well!

Love

Laura L.

Offline daisey

• Master
  • Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2007, 08:33:11 AM »
Bread Using Kombucha-Made in a Bread Machine

Makes one loaf
Ingredients:
1/4 to 1/3 cup kombucha plus water to make 1 1/2 cups total
3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 tsp. barley malt flour (or dough enhancer)
3 Tablespoons vital wheat gluten
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. SAF active dry yeast (ess than most recipes require)
2 Tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons melted butter or olive oil (or other nutritive fat)

Directions:
1. On the day before planning to bake, in the afternoon or early evening: Put kombucha, water, and flour into the bread machine pan.  rn the dough cycle until ingredients are just combined.  Cover with plastic wrap and leave in the bread machine to soak overnight.  This soaking time breaks down indigestible elements in the whole grains, and also makes the loaf tender and very tasty with an improved texture.

2. On the day of baking, about 12-20 hours after beginning to soak: Add remaining ingredients to the bread pan and begin the dough cycle (or the whole wheat cycle, if baking in the pan). After the dough cycle is finished, remove from the bread machine pan.  Punch down and shape the loaf in a greased bread pan (for use in the oven).  Bake at 350 F for about 25-35 minutes, or until the top, sides and bottom of the loaf have browned. [If the soak lasts longer than 20 hours, the gluten development of the bread will be hindered and the loaf will tend to spread instead of rise in the pan.  It still makes an excellent flatbread shapped on a baking sheet.  If you wish, before baking brush with melted butter or olive oil and sprinkle on your favorite herbs, spices, or seeds.]

Have Fun!  :D

Do you think this would work just making bread the regular way, by hand?
I don't have a bread machine but use a bosch mixer.
Daisey
Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2007, 08:33:17 AM »
  ;D I've been feeding extra Scobys to my goats. They love them and I think it makes their "hair" shinier... I originally got the idea from folks saying they fed them to there horses so I tried it w/ the goats!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 01:44:27 PM by healthybratt »

Offline ConsummoAmorNonBellum

• Learning
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2007, 06:40:14 PM »
We all suffer from yeast symptoms, so I was hoping it would help the kids detox (along with TT8).  But I have to get them to drink it first!!!

You could always try what I did to get my son to try it. He's just barely 7, and HATES to try new things.  Here's the story:

He's always thirsty when I pick him up from school. Last week I brought some 'bucha in a bottle when I went to pick him up. Sure enough, he complained that he was thirsty.

Did I, as a loving mother, offer him a taste of my kombucha tea? Did I hand back the bottle and tell him he should try something new, that was good for him?

I did not.

I took a big swig and told him, "Sorry you're thirsty, but you can get some water when we get home. All I have is some 'boochie soda' and that's only for grownups."

He had heard the "tssssssss" of the fizz when I took the top off, so he didn't even question the "soda" aspect of it.

"Why is it only for grownups?" he wanted to know.

"Because it's an energy drink," I told him. "Drinking it gives people energy, and you already have more than enough energy already. Plus you won't like it."

Silence for 5 minutes, then, "Mum, may I pleeeeeeeeeeease try some of your soda?"

"Nope. You won't like it, and it'll give you too much energy."

"But I WANT some more energy! Ennnnnnnerrrrrrrrrgyyyyyyyyy! And I'm really thirsty! Please can I try even just a little tiny drop of it?"

"I don't know, sweetie... you already have so much energy that if you have some of this you'll be bouncing off the walls. Plus you won't like it, because it's not a drink for little kids. I don't want to waste any of it if you don't like it."

"Pleeeeeease? Just one tiny little drop?"

The end of the story is that I let him try a teensy sip, which he loved; he begged and begged for some more, which he loved; he then told me that he wanted to drink nothing but "boochie soda" from then on.

...and I sent him outside to "work off his extra energy" while I did a little dance of victory in the kitchen.

Now, if I can only pull the same trick with my husband...   :D
"I will show love to the people...I will free them from their enemies—not with weapons and armies or horses and charioteers, but by my power as the Lord their God.”
Hosea 1:7

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2007, 04:45:48 AM »
ROTFLMHO!
WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline marksgirl

• Adept
    • My Life As I Know It
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2008, 11:21:10 AM »
I have too many extra SCOBYs sitting around, so I figured I needed to do something with them.  Didn't want to just toss them!  I don't have any animals to feed them to, no garden for composting, and nobody from freecycle wanted them.   :((I did give one to Melie.)

Today I got brave and put one of the thin ones in the blender with a scoop of vanilla protein mix and some raw cow milk and hit the button.  :o I think it curdled the milk a bit, but it got completely pulverized, so no chunks.  It was kind of thick and tasted a bit like yogurt.  I think it would definitely be better if I put some fruit in it, or made one with kombucha and fruit instead of milk, but it was edible.  Of course, right now I have a cold so my taste buds are a bit muted... :P

Just thought I'd share what I tried!  (maybe now my "coat" will be shiny! ;D)

Offline mom24boys

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2008, 12:04:40 PM »
Marksgirl,
I can't even get my crew to drink kombucha *without* the scobie!  I just don't think I could ever get a scobie smoothy down anyone, no matter how much fruit and other delightful stuff I add.

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2008, 12:12:50 PM »
Marksgirl,
I can't even get my crew to drink kombucha *without* the scobie!  I just don't think I could ever get a scobie smoothy down anyone, no matter how much fruit and other delightful stuff I add.

In science, there is a thing called a 'blind study'.  The 'subjects' are exposed to the 'substance' and the 'tester' is the only one who knows the exact contents of the substance...
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2008, 02:31:12 PM »
Marksgirl,

In science, there is a thing called a 'blind study'.  The 'subjects' are exposed to the 'substance' and the 'tester' is the only one who knows the exact contents of the substance...

mom24boys, it's the same here.  My crew took a few tastes of kombucha and said "no stinking way!"   :-X  Well, I have to agree with them.  I don't like the stuff.  Alas, I'll just keep giving them regular probiotics.   :-\

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline marksgirl

• Adept
    • My Life As I Know It
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2008, 03:37:39 PM »
We've tried letting the children taste the kombucha on visits.  My boys didn't care for it, but the girls did.  As far as the blind taste-test, my dh has very perceptive taste buds, so I don't think I'll even attempt to sneak one into a smoothie for him.  At least until I find one that REALLY disguises it!   ;)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2008, 07:08:04 AM »
We have a friend who did the continuous brew thing.  That scoby was HUGE!!!!!!! :o :o :o  He just dumped the batch, though, and I gave him new babies to start a new one.  He gave me some of the old brew a couple of weeks ago and....MAN!  That stuff was LETHAL to the Nth degree!!!!!!  There was no way that man nor beast could have enjoyed that.  It was absolutely explosive!  And sour.  Bleck! :P
But I've found that sour kombucha comes in handy as a sub for vinegar.  I wonder if you couldn't use it to make fake buttermilk.  I do this with vinegar ALL the time to make biscuits and pancakes.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline WellTellMommy

• Adept
  • Ft. Banchee
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2010, 11:00:24 PM »
I know I'm weird, but I was just thinking what if every once in a while when there are excess scoby's you threw some chunks down the toilet, odd thinking I know but Dh buys digestive enzymes for the septic, & we do not use chemical cleaners so, a scoby would do the same thing I would think.
I will not be trying this anytime soon as I'm just getting started with mine, but thought I'd through it out there.
DD 5yo---Mom, I think we should take a camera with us when we go to Heaven, it'll be so beautiful up there.

Sherri

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2010, 04:54:09 AM »
I know I'm weird, but I was just thinking what if every once in a while when there are excess scoby's you threw some chunks down the toilet, odd thinking I know but Dh buys digestive enzymes for the septic, & we do not use chemical cleaners so, a scoby would do the same thing I would think.
I will not be trying this anytime soon as I'm just getting started with mine, but thought I'd through it out there.
Well, I have a friend who would NOT recommend this.  She threw a SCOBY in the toilet and had to call hubby home from work to unclog the toilet.   :-[ ;D ::)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline marksgirl

• Adept
    • My Life As I Know It
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2010, 07:55:00 AM »
Yeah, I wouldn't recommend it either, unless you ground it up in a blender first.  Much easier to just throw it away.  Unless you have a dog, goat, horse, chickens, etc. who like it, or have a compost pile.  I did blend up a small one once in a smoothie for myself.  It was okay, but not wonderful enough to try it again.  I'll stick to drinking the liquid.

Offline Redbekia

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2011, 12:41:07 PM »
First thing I do with vinegary booch is to thin it out with water a bit. Then I find I can play with a little stevia liquid (flavored is really good) to sweeten up the vinegary 'booch'.  Start with 2 or 3 drops to 8 oz. of booch and add one or two more at a time tasting as you go till you get it just right!
Yummm!  Suddenly that vinegary stuff is awesome. Remember that stevia is EXTREMELY sweet and be frugal with it.

You now have your chemestry set.  Go play!

Offline marksgirl

• Adept
    • My Life As I Know It
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2011, 02:23:59 PM »
Hubby was telling me the other day that you can make shoes from dried scobys.  I didn't ask him for links, but a quick search came up with this link.  http://www.ecouterre.com/u-k-designer-grows-an-entire-wardrobe%20from-tea-fermenting-bacteria