Author Topic: Perineal [Vaginal] Tearing from Childbirth: Healing & Pain Relief  (Read 60935 times)

Offline dakotarose

• Learning

I have a 3 month old son.   During delivery I tore to the third degree.  For the past two months I've been having problems when passing bowels.  Every time it feels like it's tearing all over again and there is always a   spot of blood afterwards.  Has anyone had a similar experience?   Could  it be that the Dr. stitched me up  to tight?  I'm very  hesitant  to go back to the dr.  Partly cuz of financial reasons and also partly because I simply hate going to the Dr.  I sure would appreciate any advice or direction anyone can  give!

Offline jeniwren

• Adept
Re: Perineal [Vaginal] Tearing from Childbirth: Healing & Pain Relief
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 08:57:36 PM »
Well, constipation is normal after you have a baby and the hospital usually prescribes a stool softener for you to use at home.With my first baby it could take up to 20 + minutes on the toilet to have a bowel movement. It hurt sooo bad and I was sooo scared every time I had to go. It is strange that you are STILL having this problem at 3 months though.
Are your stools loose? Are you constipated? Do you have any hemorroids?

Offline dakotarose

• Learning
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2006, 04:19:20 AM »
I'm not consitpated, have no hemorroids, and stools are normal.

Offline jeniwren

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2006, 09:43:10 AM »
wow! it really sounds like something may have happened. my mom is a nurse so I am going to ask her. are you able to call an advice nurse or anything without being charged?

Offline dkdelgado

• Learning
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2006, 07:19:51 PM »
The only thing that comes to mind is to do Kegel exercises several times a day, it helps with healing the perinium.  Sounds as if you may have torn all the way back to the anal area.  I did not tear that badly but the area would feel just as you described (feeling like it is tearing again)only for me it felt like that when I was intimate with my husband.  It has taken nearly 18  months to fully recover but that is probably because I was not consistently Kegeling until just within the past couple of months.

dkdelgado

Offline jeniwren

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2006, 07:37:26 PM »
All right. I asked my mom about this and she said that a 3rd degree tear would not have torn the rectal msucle but would have ended right outside the rectal area. She suggested talking to your doctor rather than simply going in for a check, if you can. Or else she thought it should be checked because she said it's just not normal. She's an OB/GYN advice nurse, but it's only her opinion. If you don't want to call or visit the Dr, then delgados suggestion of kegel exercises may be a good idea to try, atleast for now. Good luck :)

Offline Bethany

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2006, 02:41:22 AM »
if you have to take iron, take it in a nonconstipating form like black strap molasses

There are iron supplements are that non-constipating, too. Get iron from a natural source (most at the health food store would probably be safe).

Offline natural

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 03:53:00 AM »
Is it possible you have a little infection? If so, not to worry, I would do a garlic suppository or spray some silver up there. if there is any swelling you may have a tad bit of infection and don't even know it.  Just a thought... After the home birth of my 3rd child I had bleeding  --heavy bleeding-- for I think a month or so. I was too stubborn to go into the Dr. and kept praying, "Lord I feel you told me to have this baby at home, now take care of the rest" ---Oh that He wants us to hold Him to His Word....Literally I prayed that.. Soon I was all healed up and everything was completely back to normal. It is normal for doubt and fear to come in haunt you and the discomfort can't help either...But the God of the UNIVERSE the maker of your body knows all things and will deliver you.

Father I bind this fear upon dakotarose, I pray a complete healing on her body and relief of any discomfort. You know the root of this, Lord and into thy hands we place it. It is finished!
4 yo Maciah: Mamma I am scared the wind is howling.
Me: Go to sleep Jesus will protect you.
4 yo Maciah: (stretching his chin to chest) But, but I can't see Jesus my head can't reach into my heart.

Offline Jessarie

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2006, 08:01:23 AM »
Hi Dakota Rose,

I just wondered how this situation is for you now, and how it was resolved?  I have a similar problem, I had a 4th degree internal tear and don't want to get into all the icky details of my situation, but I just wondered what you ended up doing.  I am worried that I may have a teeny bit of a hole left from this tear that never healed together, which would be bad, but I am embarassed to have to call the midwife's office and explain myself - I have a silly fear of having to have some kind of surgery to correct it, and how that would affect breast-feeding my son, etc - all of which are probably unfounded and not worth worrying about till I find out what's going on, anyway.  Well I am rambling, but I would appreciate any help you could give.

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2006, 09:21:09 AM »
With my first labor I had a 3rd degree episiotomy.  I was SO sore and bled for about 4 months; maybe longer.  Let me back up.

When I went in for my 6 week post-partum checkup, I had developed a polyp where the delivery doctor had stitched me up.  It made pooing a little scary (with blood) even though I was taking a stool softener (NOT a laxative).  The doctor did a small surgery in the office right then, and it took about 6 more weeks to fully heal.  So 3 months post partum I was still bleeding and went back in to see how the surgery had healed.  It was fine, and about a month later (maybe 6 weeks after that) I was back to normal with sex, poo, and everything. 

Also, (gosh this is graphic) you could be wiping too hard or if you are still using the squirt bottle (which I did for at least 3 of those months) don't squirt too harshly.  Try to pat...

The good news is that when I had my second son there was NO TEARING at all, and everything healed in less than a month.  It was SO much easier.  I'd say to definitely call your ob/gyn nurse and ask her questions.  Explain the money issue to her and tell her that you don't want to come in for no reason, but see if she can help you.  Nurses can be the greatest blessing! 

And don't forget that your husband and your son need you functioning properly.  Don't be superwoman if you don't have to.  Blessings!
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2006, 09:28:53 AM »
Same thing happened to me after every birth.  (I am notorious for huge tears.)  Anyway, it did heal itself eventually, but it took about a year before it did.  I am currently trying desperately to eat a lot of fruit, drink tons of water and I have even resorted to stool softeners in the past.  Being active also helps, but I'm holding off on that one until my bleeding stops - I'm only 3 weeks post pardum right now.  I know I'm the pot calling the kettle black, but trust yourself and talk to a doctor if you are really concerned.  (Sometimes an appointment with a nurse is available and they arre MUCH cheaper.)  Even if your worst fears are true and you need surgery (I highly doubt it would be anything that serious) you can always decide to hold off once you have the information.  Most likely it would just give you some peace of mind and maybe a good remedy.     ~L

Offline mrsr

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2006, 09:30:35 AM »
Okay I have two children and had bad wounds with both.
With my first son what happend to you happend to me. The stitches were gone and yet there was still a very tender red area .
That is fine it will heal naturally I used some vitamine E caps to rub on the scar.
I did have pain for months though if I were to be intimate .It was only scar tissue and fantam pains the Dr said.
I used hyperemic pills its homeopathic It did help.
Yet it was just time that fixed me along with Gods healing and prayer.
The second child was not that bad yet I still have a little bit of tearing feeling when intimate.
My child is also four months old. Don't worry You can call the Midwife. You would be surprised how common this is after birth you and hundreds of others have gone threw the same thing.
Don't be embarrassed. Hope this helps.

Offline 4my3rascals

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2006, 11:28:35 AM »
A fourth degree tear is the kind that makes 1 exit hole and can cause the most complications.   If you feel poo is exiting the wrong hole, which according to my doc, you will definitely know, then you should definitely consider a doctor visit.   However, with a third degree tear, it is important not to strain during a BM.   A stool softener should help.  No pushing during the whole BM, so take a magazine so that gravity can do the job.  Witch hazel pads, cream, and warm sitz baths can help dramatically.   The squirt bottle helps keep things clean after using the bathroom.  And definitely pat, not rub. 

I had a 4th degree tear with my first baby.  By following the above advice, I was completely healed within 6 weeks with no further complications.  Took a little longer for the scar tissue to soften to make intimate moments appealing again.

Offline dleeandcc

• Learning
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2007, 08:34:04 AM »
It all began seven days ago.  The lord blessed our family with our second daughter.  My first child I had at home and had an episiotomy, and this child was born at the hospital with no episiotomy.  Both births completely different.  My first birth I had no pain, until it was timed to push, even then I was unsure when to push.  I pushed for three hrs; after they broke my water.
This birth, my second went quickly.  At the hospital my water was broke at five/six cm, then in 1 hr I was 8cm, and in thirty minutes I was 10cm - ready to push.  I pushed for thirty minutes feeling everything, then my new baby was here.
 ( I see now why most women have an epidural, the pain was something)
Things were going well and so quickly that the doctor saw no need for cutting.  After everything was finished he noticed I tore. Really bad, his words and the nurses was “That’s the worst tare I’ve seen in years!”  It took him 45 minutes to suture me back together.  I tore front to back, two inches inside, on the sides and more. 
Since I’ve got home I’m having trouble peeing, half the time I have to stand -  the other set. The pain is unbearable, Ibuprofen and Darvacet together does not even help.  I rinse with one drop tea tree oil and water after I use the bathroom and I use comfrey and echinacea mix to rinse off also.  I try to soak as much as I can. It’s hard for me set, walk or stand b/c of the pain. Some of my sutures have come out, causing ½ inch opening.  The doctor wants me to take an antibiotic to be on the safe side but I am breastfeeding and I don't know how it will affect the baby.
I go back next week to see if progress is being made.
So I’m asking all moms, what would you recommend for me to do for the pain, sutures, breastfeeding and any other helpful advice you can pass along.
Thanks a Mom in pain
Christina

« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 12:39:32 PM by dleeandcc »

Offline Pastorswife2B

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2007, 10:04:19 AM »
Well this isn't herbal, BUT it worked for me  ;).  I also tore with my second (not as badly as you did granted), but the hospital sent me home with an arosal can of burn treatment that was a topical numbing agent which lasted for a couple of hours and was wonderful!  I don't remember the exact name, but it wasn't perscription and I believe I've seen it at pharmacies since then.  Just look for something that is a spray on numer.  The other thing that helped (this was more for the pain the actual stiches caused me as they sort of pinched) is Witch Hazel.  You can either buy streight Witch Hazel and poor it on or put it in a bath or you can get Tux pads with Witch Hazel and use those to wipe instead of TP.  I hope this helps you some!  I know it can be miserable.

-Heather

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2007, 12:02:43 PM »
Dermaplast is one brand name....though my spelling may be wrong.
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline shesaidthis

• Adept
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2007, 02:45:39 PM »
Ditto on the Tucks.  Also, my midwife had me add drops of Lavender EO to my bath to help things heal.  Just sitting in a warm bath that smelled of lavender was in itself soothing, but apparently the lavender is also good for healing.  (Just make sure the tub is clean.  A good job for hubby or whoever is helping you.) An herbal sitz bath might also be soothing if you can get your hands on it.
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting different results.  -- Albert Einstein

Offline happyhomemaker

• happyhomemaker
  • Adept
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2007, 03:23:48 PM »
Dleeandcc,

Durmoplast is wonderful stuff, and it will indeed help you! It became my best friend, since I didn't know of anything herbal at the time. I had a very difficult time with my first, and pushed for 2-3 hrs. too (long story...shortened, tore to the 4th degree  :-\).  I know right where you are coming from. That's so painful. The hospital sent me home with Witch Hazel round wet pad like things and some kind of cortazone (sp?) cream. The sitz baths were great too, and probably did as much to heal me as anything else. Was baby 2 much larger than the 1st? I did tear the 2nd time around, but not nearly as badly as before, and I healed so much faster this time. I think having a midwife stitch me up, really made the difference. She just did a much better job, and the therefore I healed MUCH faster! I think while you are being stitched up down there, time passes the slowest. Don't know how long it took the doc. with my first, but he wasn't very fast at it, and I had some issues trying to recover. Use the spray, soak in warm liquid + rest every chance you get. I will be praying for you as you recover.  It must be very difficult to have this happen with #2, since you already have another one to care for. I don't know  what I would have done if this had happened to me, the 2nd time around.

Praying for a quick recovery,
hhm
Happyhomemaker :)

Offline babymakers

• Adept
    • Babeemakers
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2007, 05:01:40 PM »
I know that lobelia is great for pain. I will ask dh if he knows anything more to help. Also trying looking at www.herballegacy.com (might have spelled it wrong)
If you are still bleeding from having the baby don't take Lobelia unless you combine it with something like Capsicum. Lobelia will make you bleed but the Capsicum will stop that problem. I would say it is safe to use as long as you combine it.
Visit my-

eBay Store, and <a href="http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/babymakers/ ">blog[/url].

Offline freshisbest

• Adept
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2007, 02:00:36 AM »
Thinking of you...after my fourth I remember walking in circles, crying, after the second week...nothing helped with the pain. Those Gel-packs you use in lunchboxes helped me. I wonder if an Aloe Vera product would help with healing. A freind of mine used to run a shallow bath and pee in THAT......so it didn't sting....if you have a hand-held shower head you could run a gentle flow of water through that and stand in the shower. I used those small Peri-bottles for weeks afterward to sooth that area and clean it when wiping was so painful. One nurse suggested mixing crushed ice, mint flavored Milk of magnesia ( one other ingredient I forgot..I think it was Witch Hazel) in a blender and using it as a poultice. That was after my first ( long terrible pushing experience) and as I recall it DID help...just so cold!!!!! Maybe it numbed me!!!!

Offline mercy

• Thankful to be His and his.
  • Adept
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2007, 02:54:12 AM »
Ouch!  I remember this...and I sure feel for you!

Sitz baths were wonderful!  You can put lavendar drops, or whatever herbs you want to add for healing, right in the bag.  If your doctor did not send you home with the equipment for it, ask DH to go to the drugstore and get it.  It is well worth it, and easier to do more often than getting in the tub.  Also, if you don't have a hand-held shower head, or can't relax enough to pee in the tub, get a squirt bottle and fill it full of water, then use it at the toilet.  Really helps to keep the area clean, and if you make the water warm it can be very soothing.

I will be praying for your speedy recovery.  Let us know, when you can, how you are healing.

Congratulations on your new little one!
Psalm 73:25 Whom have I in heaven but thee? and there is none upon earth that I desire beside thee.

Offline joshs_rebekah

• Adept
  • Shalom-Girl
    • The Larson Log
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2007, 05:45:27 AM »
I am so sorry for your stress after your second baby!

Make sure you are drinking lots of water.  I know that sounds silly when it already hurts to pee, but I found that the more water I drank, the less painful it was to pee.

Josh's Rebekah

Offline steadygirl

• Adept
    • My church home page
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2007, 10:02:44 AM »
Vitamin E oil is good for healing externally and/or internally. Just make sure it is not synthetiv. The synthetic stuff does not work very well. :P

Offline *MommaJo*

• Master
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2007, 03:08:43 PM »
On the subject of the Sitz bath -
Those seemed more uncomfortable than it was worth.  I mean, the water was soothing, but sitting on that thing seemed to make all of the pressure of delivery return.  It felt like something was inside just pushing down, especially near my 'butt bones'.  Was I doing it wrong?  Anyone else experience this?

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2007, 04:30:36 PM »
This thread may help:

Re: Help with 4th degree tear, please!

In particular I'm thinking the info about using Nori would help. Nori is the seaweed wraps used for making sushi. Nori may sound strange but seaweed is VERY healing. Here's a quote from the thread:

My midwife said to just use the 'nori' like you eat...for sushi and Asian cooking. It comes in long strips and lays perfectly in a maxi pad. To do this you soak the 'nori' first and then it is pliable. You can get this at most healthfood stores, lots of grocery stores, and lots of on line vendors.

As I said, seaweed of all types is VERY healing & by using it this way it will stay in contact with the skin for a long time maximizing healing. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

JoyInHim

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2007, 03:53:25 AM »
So sorry!   :(   I didn't see the recommendation I had gotten from my midwife - sunlight.  In the hospital they offered a heat lamp (no thank you, I'm too modest!) 

My midwife said if possible, find a sunny window (that is PRIVATE) and lie down and get direct sunlight 'there' several short sessions a day.  Difficult for a busy mommy to accomplish!

My midwife suggested LOTS of short warm (herbal) baths, and rinsing every time you urinate, using the herbal bath solution in a peri bottle.  I'd do that a few days regardless of no tears, too, to help restore stretched tissues.

I wouldn't hesitate to use Tylenol if needed to stay comfy the first few days.  Even nursing.

Feel better soon!

Offline NaturallyGinger

• Learning
  • Hiking with the family.
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2007, 05:46:10 AM »
A few weeks before I was due I masaged that area with castor oil.--vit E too, I think.  And during delivery, I had a hot rice sock directly on the skin...heat helps to stretch.  Also, I had my midwife rub castor oil while I pushed.  It all worked great!
-Ginger
Wife to a loving Mark, mother to my beautiful Reid and Vara.

Hebrews 12:3 " Consider Him who endured opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart."

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2007, 02:31:08 PM »
I am so sorry for your stress after your second baby!

Make sure you are drinking lots of water.  I know that sounds silly when it already hurts to pee, but I found that the more water I drank, the less painful it was to pee.

Josh's Rebekah
Second this!!!!! I wish I could convince all new moms that this is true. ;D

Offline dleeandcc

• Learning
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2007, 03:36:58 AM »
Thanks for all the great advice, I appreciate all the help I've recived.
Christina

Offline Livelovely

• Adept
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2007, 05:00:28 AM »
Four days postpartum I started hurting from my tear down through my thighs.  The next day I thought I had the flu.  I had a fever and was freezing cold.  All through the night I soaked my sheets from sweating and then was cold again.  My tear isn't feeling right and the lochia is almost a yellow in color.  I think I have an infection.  I have plantain, comfry, garlic and coloidal silver on hand.  What should I use?
Mama, is your name Honey or just Mama?