Author Topic: Herbal Remedies to Boost a Tired Out Adrenal Gland?  (Read 213677 times)

Offline honeybee

• Adept
  • He refines my thorns and turns them into a rose
Herbal Remedies to Boost a Tired Out Adrenal Gland?
« on: May 24, 2006, 11:02:09 AM »
I have done some research on the web and have come up empty handed.

First, I will give a bit of my history concerning my question.

About eight years ago I had a tumor removed from my abdomen that was discovered many years earlier but was not an issue until it started to grow.  The doctors originally thought it was attached to my liver, as it turns out it was attached to my right kidney and adrenal gland.  They managed to save my kidney, but had to remove my adrenal gland.  Many thanks to God that it was not cancerous.  (It was during this surgery that I became a believer).

Anyways to make a long story short, the doctors felt that in a few years time I would need to go a HRT program which I am very reluctant to do.  I believe the time has come for something in which I am hoping will be herbal. 

So my reasons for low adrenal gland is not the common ones I have found on the web.  During my research though I did find out that low adrenals can affect the thyroid as well.

So my question is:

Does anyone know of a herbal remedy that would help boost my energy levels and emotions from a tired out adrenal gland?

Any help will be much appreciated.
Thank you

Honeybee
« Last Edit: May 24, 2006, 12:52:42 PM by healthybratt »
Definition of Happiness:
God, My Husband, and My Children

Offline natural

• Adept
Herbal Remedies to Boost a Tired Out Adrenal Gland?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 11:49:02 AM »
I can't give you an answer, but you have come to the right place for answers and prayer. God Bless you in your desire to trust Him and the herbs of the field...may you find some that will help as you inevitably are drawn closer to Him through it all.

--Sister Sandra
« Last Edit: May 24, 2006, 12:52:51 PM by healthybratt »
4 yo Maciah: Mamma I am scared the wind is howling.
Me: Go to sleep Jesus will protect you.
4 yo Maciah: (stretching his chin to chest) But, but I can't see Jesus my head can't reach into my heart.

Offline Pennie

• Master
Re: Herbal Remedies to Boost a Tired Out Adrenal Gland?
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 06:04:23 AM »
I was wondering if there is anyone that know much about adrenals.  I seem to have hyper adrenals but a hypo thyroid. Are they related? and how do they relate to the kidnys or do they?

Offline Ruby

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 06:21:38 AM »
I too have stressed adrenals and hypothyroid.  I believe they are related.  I've tried a lot of things in the past, some helped some didn't.  I've read that nettle is very good for the adrenals.  Get a good infusion or tea of nettle.  I tried that, but I need to mix it with something else as it was too strong for me.   I'm thinking to try nettle again, because I'm pregnant and am having trouble with my thyroid & adrenals. 
In the past, I used Herbs Etc. Adrenotonic and then later Dr. Christopher's Adrenal formula.  Both with good success.  I stopped them each when I was trying to have another baby.  There are a lot of vitamins that my doctor put me on to help my adrenals & thyroid.  All of which worked great, such as higher doses of vit. C & pantothentic acid.  I'll have to find the paper she gave me to remember the other stuff. 
I was taking all the extra vitamins when I became pregnant.  The pregnancy was a surprise, so I wasn't on any thyroid medication.  I go in to find my TSH at 14.84!  I was shocked and realized the pregnancy must have really stressed my body because last time I had it checked it was normal.  Now I had to stop taking the extra vitamins, go on thyroid meds & try to find something for my adrenals.  I can tell my adrenals are stressed without the extra vitamins because the way my heart is pounding.  I'm searching for herbs that are safe during pregnancy to help strengthen my adrenals & calm my racing heart.  Anyone have any ideas, I'd appreciate it!

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 06:29:38 AM »
Mercy, all this makes my head want to explode.  I really didn't think I had any adrenal problems at all. Then my dr. had me do the blood pressure test thinking my adrenals were hypo maybe but then found out they are hyper.  I don't even know if I have any symptoms.  I thought the symptoms I do have were thyroid related but now am reading they could also be from my adrenals.  What a pain.  The main things I have are diffulty with weightloss, hair loss and low body temp.  A little tiredness but I do have a baby that is not sleeping all night.  :P  I will be able to add depression on here if I dont' figure this out soon.  ha.  ::)

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 09:15:11 AM »
Here is a site I found interesting on the adrenal/thyroid issue (low metabolic energy section)www.drrind.com
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 09:17:59 AM by boysmama »

Offline WithLoveAndJoy

• Master
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006, 09:21:32 AM »
Dr. Christopher's has an Adrenal blend.  I believe that if you search for it on google that it will come up.  I have not used it, but there is some information on it on most websites that carry it.
Visit my blog and see my deals for the week :)

http://homemakersresource.blogspot.com/

Offline bendeleboysmama

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2006, 11:26:59 AM »
I was taking an adrenal supplement called Adrenucleo.  But I stopped because it had bovine adrenal and spleen as some of the ingredients.  It did help me feel better, but I was kinda sick to my stomach when it said that.  How do get a bovine adrenal anyways???  SO, I started taking supermom and they have all the things that my Adrenucleo had in it and more to support my adrenal glands, without the added bovine ingredients.  I feel BETTER on the Supermoms than I did on the other...Hope that helps!
MANDI

Offline mrsr

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2006, 12:36:43 PM »
when I had thyroid and adrenal problems a herbalist told me to take Rhodiola which is all natural and helps the body . I took it pregnant and nursing it did help. Also I know that B Vitamins help the Adrenals.
You can get the herb bottles of Rhodiola at a health food store. Hope this helps.
Rhodiola does naturally help the adrenal system.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2006, 12:43:22 PM »
Hmmm.  Where to start.  For those with adrenal fatigue I would recommend Wilson's book called "Adrenal Fatigue: The 21st Centurty stress syndrome."  Actually, it's a diet syndrome, but I digress.  He covers all of the diet changes one can make to help their adrenals.  

As for supplements that help - Panothenic acid is high on the list.  It's actually a b vitamin but you can find it alone or in a B complex.  

Glandulars - this is a personal call for each person.  I've taken an adrenal glandular called Isocort and Mandi mentioned a glandular from a bovine (cow) source.  Glandulars essentially get right to the heart of the problem.  They go straight for the gland and cause the gland to kick out more hormone.  I'm actually getting ready to start on a female glandular that is in fact made from bovine hormone.  The risk of glandulars is the source of the cows.  My ND said this particular glandular comes from NZ where she thought they had not seen mad cow yet because they do not feed their cows any meat from dead cows.  It's a tough call.  

Honeybee, I'm in a similar spot as you only I still have my adrenals.  However, they are so low functioning that I am close to Addison's disease.  With only one adrenal gland you are probably functioning on to LITTLE cortisol.  Most people in this world have too much cortisol but for folks like you and I, we don't have enough.  Cortisol is something God put in our bodies to keep our hormones working.  It's not a bad thing unless one has way too much of it which can just make us fat!  If one doesn't have enough cortisol then all of the other hormones end up effected too.  You can try the panothenic acid to see if it will boost the one adrenal you have left but if it's tired out (like most people's are) it might be a tough work around.  I mentioned the glandular I'm going to start taking - it's sort of a last resort for me before I just start taking prescription cortisol.  When the ND has gone through the arsenal and ends up at prescription cortisol I figure I'm in bad shape.   :(  Nonetheless, if you read Wilson's book he'll give good dietary guidelines for building your adrenals and then you can try the b vitamins.  I also take the supermom like Mandi but didn't notice much of a difference.  But like I said, mine are pretty severely stressed so maybe that's the difference.  In general the supermom is just a better vitamin.  Even if it doesn't solve you adrenal issue.  The quality is worth it.

Ah, I second the Rhodiola.  I took it for some time also.  Worth a shot. 

Hope this helps.

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2006, 01:04:49 PM »

Okay, I have done all the other nutritional stuff for years for repeated episodes of low adrenal function.  Sometimes helped , sometimes not much help.  I also take Superfood, which I make from Dr. Schultz's formula. 

Seven years ago my adrenals failed due to the repeated exhaustion and finally, heavy metal poisoning.  I am dependent on Isocort.  I, too, worry about it being from a bovine source, but I appreciate being able to function as well as I do.  The prognosis for me without this supplement was NOT good. 

I have been eating well for many years, exercising regularly, healthy lifestyle, and all that.  The 'jump' to Addison's disease caused a 50 pound weight gain in 4 months.  My doctor, an MD/classical homeopath, said that the weight will stay and I should be content to be alive.  Seven years later - after 5 severe Addisonian crisises - I am happy to be alive and I intend to continue on the supplements.  He also has me taking Lithium orotate.

If your adrenals have not completely failed, please try all the nutritional support, vitamin C, etc.  Do keep a check on it, though.  Also have the doctor monitor you during pregnancy.  My oldest daughter's chiropractor told her that her adrenals (also low functioning) could have been damaged by my system's reaction to adrenal exhaustion.
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2006, 02:43:10 PM »
I was wondering if there is anyone that know much about adrenals.  I seem to have hyper adrenals but a hypo thyroid. Are they related? and how do they relate to the kidnys or do they?
With your question in particular I thinkwww.drrind.com would be particularly helpful.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2006, 03:56:32 PM »
Blessed 213,

I am particularly interested in your experience as it sounds so close to mine.  How did you know you "jumped" to Addisons?  I feel like I'm doing everything I can do avoid this but it's such a struggle.  How often do you take the Isocort?  I was on it twice a day (breakfast and lunch) but it was only a so-so help.  I had an ACTH test last year and my adrenals are still producing some hormone.  Still within the AMA range which is way too low IMHO.  Will taking cortisol cause my adrenals to atrophy and become more of a problem?  It's something I worry about if I end up supplementing with the cortisol. 

Why did the doc say you can't lose weight because of the Addison's?  I don't fully understand why that would happen.  That is freaking me out!  Also, how did you figure out heavy metal poisoning was a factor?  Is it something a heavy metal cleanse would help me with now before it's too late? 

I know exactly what you mean about your daughter being affected.  My ND also told me that she could see the same issues in my 8yr old.  We are very careful what we feed her and supplement her well for the same reason.  I think so much of it is diet related (in the beginning before too much damage is done) that I hope feeding her well is the answer. 

Take care,

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline momofskc

• Learning
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2006, 04:54:33 PM »
I have suspected for several months (off and on) that I may have problems with my adrenals or pituatary.  Can someone relate to me some of the symptoms to look for.  I have had an mysterious weight gain in the past few months and seems to be continuing.  One night I was going to sleep and I woke up with a feeling of surprise that continued for several hours.  Like someone had jumped out from behind me and the feeling didn't go away as normal.  Also, I have an aching that doesn't seem to be exactly where my kidneys are but more at the base of my spine.  My throat often hurts like someone is choking me and I first attributed this to acid reflux, but I have had that under control with slippery elm and marshmallow root.  Anyway, maybe this is all signs of some kind of anxiety, but my gut tells me its not that.  It's not that I'm upset or anything.  I'm just wondering about the symptoms I'm having.  Sorry this is so long :-\.  Just needing some advice.
Julie:)

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2006, 05:10:58 PM »
Hope all goes well with your daughter.  

Our daughter, now 22 years old, had an excellent diet, no immunizations, homeschooled, and as low stress an environment as we could provide.  She was sick at birth, however.  She had pneumonia 4 times her first year.  We saw a chiropractor and an ND, who treated her as best as possible.  Her health remained very fragile until she was around 5, then it seemed to improve a lot.  All basically immune system malfunction sort of things.  She never saw an MD, so we didn't have a label for her health issues.  

I had my first metal poisoning the year that she was born.  I had very low adrenal functioning and a severe poisoning from nickel.  Saw 7 different doctors before being referred  (By a homeopath in Germany) to the homeopath that we now see in my home state of Arizona.  Had a full chelation therapy at that time, as well as various supplements (don't remember what) to restore adrenal function.  I had several more instances of low adrenal function before a really bad failure 11 years ago just a month before my last pregnancy.  The failure lasted 7 months and was treated with herbs - sarsparilla, wild cherry bark, licorice root, and ??? something else.  Dr. said to only take the herbal tea for a week at a time every three weeks.  It helped, but now we are watching that child for possible effects.  

The most recent metal poisoning, however, was from radiation.  My body had stored radiation, I am severly allergic to it, and had reached toxic levels.  I broke out in sores just like you see in the war movies on the A-bomb victims, I lost even more weight, and I was extremely disoriented.  A month or so after the breakout, I began to have constant headaches, dizzy spells, panic attacks, anxiety, tachycardia, angina, (rapid heart rate and heart pain) irregular heart rhythms, insomnia, depression, confusion, and a multitude of other symptoms.  This was also when I began to gain weight.  

~ ~ Note;  I have been underweight all my life, low basal temperature, low blood pressure, and very athletic.  

The homeopath thought, at first, that it was thyroid, but that tested fine.  He did a lot of tests, he can test for many things using a technique that measures nerve response to stimuli.  That was how he diagnosed the radiation posoning - I tested high for three kinds of radiation, all from nuclear power plants.  Seems that radiation destroys your adrenal glands.  When he did the ACTH, there was very little response, I think I started at 9 and the later test level was 12; too small of a response rate.  That is when he diagnosed me with Addisons and prescribed the Isocort (bovine adrenal cortex) and the Lithium Orotate.  It took about two weeks and I was feeling much better.  I take 3 Isocort with breakfast and with lunch - 6 a day.  The past year I have had to take 2 more late in the afternoon occasionally.  If I miss a dose, I can tell within 5 or 6 hours as my heart rate becomes erratic or rapid and the fog moves back into my brain.   He, the dr., didn't say why I wouldn't lose the weight.  He just encouraged me to not worry about things that really don't matter.  He knows that I eat right.  He wants me to live long enough to raise my children.  

My dd is now seeing the same homeopath and may have chelation therapy in December.  She has Lyme Disease, low adrenal, low thyroid, lead, and mercury poisoning.  The Lyme and the mercury have affected her brain.  We pray that no further damage is done and that the Lyme can be destroyed.  Treatments are costly.  

I don't see how my history can help.  It is sad, I know.  But I am functioning well enough to be mom to my young ones and wife to my darling man.  My life could well be cut short, I know, but I just live as fully as I am able.  I have had one heart attack, 5 years ago.  I took Rescue Remedy and just rested for a week or so.  Same thing with the Addison Crisises plus taking extra Isocort.   The limitations are - for me - terrible.  I had an accident with a concussion and skull fracture around the same time as the nickel poisoning, so that and the nickel have caused a lot of neurological problems.  I was once smart, articulate, thin and athletic, and extremely healthy.  Now, I thank God every morning that I wake up and I treasure those around me.  (when I remember, I call them by name and tell them so!)  My family and I have a good sense of humor about it, now.  We have become accustomed to my 'bad days' and the children help a lot.  

Long letter.  Ask more, if you want.   Psalms 37:3  Trust the Lord
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2006, 05:17:08 PM »
I have suspected for several months (off and on) that I may have problems with my adrenals or pituatary.  Can someone relate to me some of the symptoms to look for.  I have had an mysterious weight gain in the past few months and seems to be continuing.  One night I was going to sleep and I woke up with a feeling of surprise that continued for several hours.  Like someone had jumped out from behind me and the feeling didn't go away as normal.  Also, I have an aching that doesn't seem to be exactly where my kidneys are but more at the base of my spine.  My throat often hurts like someone is choking me and I first attributed this to acid reflux, but I have had that under control with slippery elm and marshmallow root.  Anyway, maybe this is all signs of some kind of anxiety, but my gut tells me its not that.  It's not that I'm upset or anything.  I'm just wondering about the symptoms I'm having.  Sorry this is so long :-\.  Just needing some advice.

Ya know what?  It's one thing to have tired adrenals and it's another to have EXHAUSTED adrenals.  I sympathize deeply with you.  It's a difficult and frustrating thing.  So the first thing that came to my mind was Cushings.   We initially thought I might have this when I gained 50lbs in literally about 40 days almost 5yrs ago.  I went through a full Cushings work up and came up empty (the guy was a real jerk too).  That's when I found out about adrenal exhaustion.  As I studied up on that I got pointed to low progesterone.  So, for me, it ended up that I had adrenal fatigue and low hormone levels.  Once we addressed the hormones the weight dumped off of me without trying.  While I am continuing to work on my adrenals they are a much harder nut to crack.  You can google Cushings Disease and it will bring up a Cushings Forum where you can look at a ton of symptoms and see if it fits you, also you can post there and ask folks questions.  If you go to a regular endo they'll tell you you're nuts because Cushings is "rare."  Well, actually Cushings is "rarely" diagnosed correctly, sometimes for years.  I can't really give you an opinion on it, but it's something you can look into.  But to be honest, I'm usually one who goes for the lesser of the evils first.  You might try working with a naturopath on your adrenals for fatigue and see where that gets you, then you can go from there.  For me it just ended up being hormones and adrenal fatigue - not Cushings.  

Don't know if this is of any help to you.  I hope it is.  Hang in there.  Healthy is achieveable.

Patti

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2006, 05:28:14 PM »
Blessed123,

Actually, hearing your story gives me hope that I'll get through this!  It also helps me see the differences.  You have been through a lot!  It also sounds like God has been gracious and merciful. 

I was curious about the Isocort because my ND's office is having some issues with it.  They have tried 4x's to get the company to confirm that there is even cortisol in the Isocort and the company has rebuffed them and refused to answer.  So she is taking me off of the Isocort as soon as she can get me a replacement.  However, if you have Addison's and the Isocort is working then it tells me that there is in fact cortisol in it because you wouldn't be functioning if there weren't.  It's something I will definately be passing on to my ND.  She had me on 3 in the AM and 4 at lunch.  If you take the two later does it keep you up at night?  When I really need it is between 5pm and 7pm.   But she said that's too late to take it. 

Thank you again for sharing your story.  I pray health and peace for you and your family.  Heavy metal poisoning and radiation sound awful.  I can't imagine.... 

God bless you and thanks again.

patti

Offline Helen

• Adept
    • personal blog
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2006, 12:24:52 PM »
I had cushings disease, It took almost 2 years of going to doctors to diagnose it, I was at mayo clinic when it was diagnosed,  Cushings mades the trunk of your body puff up, and your legs and arms very weak, it is diffrent from regular weight gain in as much as your face, your belly get round, my legs and arms got skinny and very very weak, not just feeling weak, but literally failing me, if i stepped up a step my leg would buckle and I would fall down, Also ones face gets very red.              That was my experiance!       

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2006, 09:51:09 PM »

Helen,

Oh!  I wouldn't wish that awful disease on anyone.  I remember when we were trying to figure out what was wrong with me how frustrating it was.  The cushings expert in our state said I had it but I started to question him when he showed me my MRI (very reluctantly) and said "if you had a tumor it would be right here, but I can't see it."  Huh?  Needless to say, I think this guy was "wanting" me to have it because it was his specialty.  I'm grateful I didn't and so glad that you finally got diagnosed!  I was on a Cushings forum for awhile and people really go through a lot trying to get someone to figure out what's wrong with them. 

Did you have surgery?  Adrenal or pituitary?  Are you fully recovered?  There's still some question about my pituitary but I almost don't want to know right now.  The guy thought I had cyclical cushings and I haven't been in a "cycle" for over a year. 

patti

Offline LoLFamily

• Learning
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2006, 01:39:03 AM »
Hi everyone -

I am usually a browser more than a poster since I feel like you
all have way more to offer than me. However, this post got
my attention and I had to break out of lurkdom.

My hubbie has diagnosed Addison's. We went through several
years of not knowing what was wrong. After a second crash
the right doctor happened to look over his symptoms and
knew right away what was going on. Anyhow....the symptoms
were extreme fatigue (like you have the flu 24 hrs a day),
weight-LOSS, muscle flabbiness (I'm sure there is a medical
term for this), loss of appetite, and hyperpigmentation of skin.
The hyperpigmentation is a classic sign. Also, his immune
system was shot at this point and ANY little illness would make
him very sick and it would take weeks to recover. The doctor
found that one of his glands had atrophied completely and
there was very little left of the other.

I would urge anyone who is having adrenal issues to go to a
qualified endocrinologist that has some experience with the
disease. This can make a huge difference in the quality of your
life. As soon as he began treatments with Cortef (cortisol)
things came around very quickly. Yes, there was a lot of
weight gained at first but his doctor fine tuned his meds
until he takes only the minimum of what his body needs.
The fine tuning of the meds is crucial, imo. Now he should
lose about 10-12 lbs and probably could if he would just
stop snacking! He may have to work a little harder to get the
pounds off than he would've when he was in his early 20's
but he can lose weight.

We decided not to go the natural route with this one
since we had seen firsthand the consequences of his body
being out of whack. There was too much damage already
done to try and fix things. And after watching your
husband die almost twice, I don't think either one of us
wanted to play around. About this same time, the Lord
led us to begin milling our own wheat and watching our
diet a little more carefully. It is now a very rare occasion
that our family gets sick and I'd say that he's more healthy
than most of his co-workers the same age. The only
exception I have to all this is that the consequences of
the medication has caused him to develop Type II
diabetes. So right now, this is of more concern than the
Addison's. The doctor keeps telling him that if he'd just
lose the 10 lbs, he is certain that the diabetes would no
longer be an issue.

So, I write all of this to offer you hope and to urge you
to see a specialist! This is one area where your money is
very, very well spent!!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 01:44:13 AM by LoLFamily »

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2006, 04:20:58 AM »
Patti,

I am sorry about your dh's illness and the complications of his medication.  I appreciate that you made what you believe to be the best choice in what method of health care to use. 
I do not wish to offend you in any way at all here, but your statements made me feel that I need to 'defend' my decision to use natural medicine.  And I will not defend that choice in this forum.  I know from experience that there is a LOT of support for using allopathic physicians and pharmeutical prescriptions.  When I was first diagnosed I found that most of the information available was from an allopathic point of view.  My extended family, for instance, all believe very differently from us in what method of health care to use.  My dh and I have made well researched, much prayed about, and well informed decisions and we face monumental opposition. 

As I believed this to be a forum for like minded people who have also made the decision to put their faith in natural medicine, I felt comfortable sharing my experience.  I do not take this disease lightly, be assured.  I have merely chosen to trust a different method.  This is a choice, not a judgement.  Just as you have the right to make informed choices in your family's health care, those of us who choose differently are making informed choices as well.  It is not a matter of 'right' or 'wrong' or of "money well spent" but a matter of the right to choose for our own family.

Offline LoLFamily

• Learning
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2006, 08:05:29 AM »
Patti,
I am sorry about your dh's illness and the complications of his medication.  I appreciate that you made what you believe to be the best choice in what method of health care to use. 

I believe your statements are directed at me. I don't think any of
what I said condemned natural methods at all. We use a lot of
natural products and herbs for many things at my home - all with
great success.  In fact, I believe what we are doing in conjunction
with the treatment plan given by his doc (along  with the Lord's
help) has been what has helped him be successful.

I didn't mention that in the two years that we knew something
was wrong but couldn't get a diagnosis, we did try several things
- colodial silver, siberian ginseng, noni juice and some other items
I can't remember. Nothing helped since his adrenals were too far
gone - there wasn't much left of them to repair.

I am sorry that my post offended you by suggesting that anyone
who is struggling with this type of disorder seek care through a
specialist. From my perspective, it literally changed the future
outlook for my family. I do not think my dh would be here today
if we had not gotten this care. I am positive that the Lord had
his divine hand in getting us in the right place at the right time.

I am very thankful that the same God that has given us herbs
to heal ourselves with has also given us modern medicine. I don't
condemn anyone who chooses to treat themselves by whichever
method they are led to. I hope that clears things up. Forgive me.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2006, 08:09:02 AM by LoLFamily »

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2006, 08:10:24 AM »
Thank you LoLFamily for clearing that up.  I was just about to...  And by the way, I didn't take your post to be offensive at all.  Having been one who has adrenals that are very close to Addison's I understand what you are saying.  Right now we are doing everything natural we can to build my adrenals but should the time come that they collapse, I'm not sure I will have much of a choice.  I think if someone has not had a total adrenal failure they may not fully understand the medical crisis that puts someone in.  It's very dangerous and I know that from personal experience.  So, hang in there, in sounds like your family has found the balance that works for you. 

Patti

Offline InEverything

• Adept
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2006, 07:21:50 AM »
For those of you who experience adrenal fatigue or related diseases, do you feel that it was hereditary or stress induced?

My mom and I both seem to have a lot of symptoms of adrenal fatigue.  The systolic blood pressure test was a good indication.  You check to see if your blood pressure lowers after standing up rather then rising. 
I am taking more Vitamin C and trying to reduce the things that may cause stress on my adrenals, coffee, sugar, etc. I have been exploring candida, hormonal issues, hypoglycemia, etc. but adrenal fatigue can be related to all of these things.  Thank you for the info.
"in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thes. 5:18

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2006, 06:22:31 AM »
Okay, sorry if I took or made offense.  Have been dealing with this issue, low adrenal function and/or failure, for most of my life. 

I do think that the tendency is hereditary, somehow.  I have read some studies that seem to conclude there is a familial tendency.  I have not read any studies that prove it, though.
 My father and his mother seemed to have low adrenal at times.  My father was repeatedly hospitalized during his last 16 years or so with symptoms that could have been low adrenal.   On many occasions I tried to get the doctor to do an ACTH to show adrenal response, but he refused.  I discussed with dr. the physical symptoms, the bloodwork that showed Dad's sodium and potassium levels out of whack, and Dad's mental state and the doctor would agree that this could be caused by adrenal insufficiency, yet he still refused to test for it.  My parents would not question doctors, and when Dad was over the crisis he refused to accept that he was even ill.  Over the years, he was seen by many, many specialists and even a psychiatrist and was never diagnosed with any chronic condition.  It was always something like, "His electrolytes were out of balance," or "He was just overtired."   Same thing with his mother.  She was always sick, but never 'had' anything.  The impression I got from the family was that she was  just 'weak dispositioned'. 
Since my father's death, my mother has been leaning more toward eating healthy and more accepting of natural medicine.  I have recommended some herbs to her for various things and she is happy with them.  When she reads the information on the herbs and contrasts that with the warnings on the pharmaceutical meds, she gets excited, too.  Our dd stayed with her this summer while seeing our homeopath for her illness and shared with her the information from the doctor after each visit.  She, dd, brought home a pamphlet from the doctor about low adrenal function a couple of months ago and my mother read it.  She has really opened up to us now about natural medicine.  Part of this is that she sees that this was probably a factor affecting my father's health for many years.  Mom now understands how serious my health problems are.  She is also concerned that my youngest sister may also have low adrenal and is trying to persuade her to see dr. 
I have found it interesting that this condition can masquerade as many things.  Different people can have very diverse range of presenting symptoms and triggers that produce a crisis.  It is not at all easy to identify in every case and I do not understand why it is not more widely recognized within the medical world, allopathic or natural.  I suppose that is the way with many of the autoimmune diseases, though.  The online information and support groups are all mostly from an allopathic perspective.  It is difficult to find information or support for a holistic or natural approach.
Any information that you can find to help you understand and live with your condition will help.  I think that the amount of information on natural approaches is growing, and I hope that the number of natural health practitioners will also grow.  Usually it seems that you need to educate yourself and be an informed consumer in any area of health care.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2006, 09:08:50 AM »
For those of you who experience adrenal fatigue or related diseases, do you feel that it was hereditary or stress induced?

Absolutely.  I have  severe adrenal fatigue and we can see the same thing in my oldest daughter.  My ND confirmed for me that stressed adrenals can be passed from one generation to the next via pregnancy.  The best action is just good diet and we really work to strengthen my daughters glands with what she eats. 

Patti

Offline honeybee

• Adept
  • He refines my thorns and turns them into a rose
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2006, 09:25:32 AM »
Although I have found this discussion to be helpful, I must bring it back to my original question:

What do you do when the adrenal fatigue is from missing one?

I have tried drinking the teas with the recommended herbs and taking coconut oil on a daily basis, I tried the supermom's and although I was feeling healthier (must start taking them again) I found that they did nothing for my energy level, which is quite low. 

It has been becoming a problem in how I keep up with my home and children, as I find that I can only do about an half hour of work and then I need to take a break for an half hour, before I can get up and go on.  After about the third time of working and resting, I get defeated and want to give up cleaning altogether.  It is a constant struggle to not let the defeation (?) win out.

Honeybee
Definition of Happiness:
God, My Husband, and My Children

Offline InEverything

• Adept
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2006, 12:00:38 PM »
Sorry to have digressed from your original question, it is your post after all!

Prescription for Nutritional Healing, although it is not specific to your problem, states that the adrenals need moderate exercise and, among other things that were already mentioned in the thread, the herb astragalus.   China Gold from Aerobic Life Industries is for this disorder and to help with fatigue.  I have no experience with it however.   Milk thistle helps the liver which then helps with adrenal function.  Avoid stress, easier said than done right?  The book also discusses glandular therapy.
God Bless you in your search for answers.
"in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thes. 5:18

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2006, 12:16:14 PM »
Honeybee,

I guess I totally missed that you only have one adrenal gland.  Duh.  How'd I miss that?  Anyways, supporting your remaining adrenal gland is the best place to start and doing that would pretty much involve everything we've actually been talking about.  Diet, exercise, supplements.   But to be honest with you, when you've only got one gland you may need stronger supplements while you work on building it up "naturally."  I am taking Isocort right now while I am working on my adrenals with natural stuff.  Isocort is cortisol which is what adrenals glands produce that effect your energy.  I find it extremely helpful and I notice it when I don't take it.  It's an OTC.

I know exactly what you mean about the total exhaustion.  I was there not long ago.  But I believe that between the supplementing, diet and isocort I'm way better.  I can even clean my house in one fell swoop now (although I'm beat when I'm done!).

All the best,

patti

Offline LoLFamily

• Learning
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2006, 02:13:09 PM »
While I can't recommend something to boost your
adrenals, I can tell you from our experience one of
the best things you can do is try not to tax
your remaining adrenal any further. If at all possible,
avoid situations where you know someone is sick.
If one of your children get sick, start taking
preventative measures yourself right away (vit c,
grapefruit seed extract, etc.) One of my
dh's crisis was triggered by mono!

Another consideration is emotional stress. Even if
you don't think your under a lot of stress, just
taking care of a family is more than you
realize.

Somone asked if they believed adrenal problems
were hereditary and I would answer yes!
Although my dh doesn't have anyone in his
family with adrenal insufficiency, there are