Author Topic: Herbal Remedies to Boost a Tired Out Adrenal Gland?  (Read 188760 times)

Offline momto4girls

• Adept
Re: Herbal Remedies to Boost a Tired Out Adrenal Gland?
« Reply #90 on: June 20, 2008, 03:24:36 PM »
My biggest question is, can the adrenalin glands physically hurt? Can you feel them hurt inside?

Offline ~esposita~

• Master
    • Family Fotos
« Reply #91 on: June 21, 2008, 06:32:56 AM »

Ingredients

Contains mullein, licorice, Siberian ginseng, gotu kola, hawthorne berries, lobelia, cayenne, and Ginger.

Generally speaking, the order in which ingredients are listed gives a clue as to what  quantities are used.  So, I would use a bunch of mullein, a bit less licorice, even less Siberian ginseng and so on, with lobelia, cayenne and ginger being used sparingly.  Maybe a 4:2:2:1:1:1/2:1T:1T type ratio.  That would be my suggestion.

HTH!

It is my opinion that you can take as much herbs as you'd like, but if you aren't getting enough plain old REST your adrenals wont recover. 
My attempt at blogging:  The Carpenter's Wife

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #92 on: June 22, 2008, 05:37:22 PM »
My biggest question is, can the adrenalin glands physically hurt? Can you feel them hurt inside?

I did a little looking and according to Dr. Wilson's website it is possible to feel pressure in the adrenals during times of stress, but pain in the region may also be due to muscle tension (also due to stress).  This sensation of pressure may occur as a symptom of adrenal burnout.  (Remedied by rest, diet, nutrition.)

Other sites mention pain resulting from abnormal growth of the adrenal gland, causing it to press on other organs.  A third possibility is bleeding into the adrenal gland.  These two possibilities (abnormal growth and bleeding) are due to serious health conditions that need to be medically evaluated.  There would be accompanying signs of significant endocrine imbalances.

Offline just jane

• Adept
« Reply #93 on: June 23, 2008, 10:11:13 AM »

When I had adrenal problems, I KNOW I had PAIN in my back where the adrenals are located.   Alot of pain,  now I also know that I am given to back problems.   However, my chiro told me that exactly where I had the pain was the spot for adrenals.   I did lay on a heating pad on low over that time.  Putting warmth in at the adrenals will do good but not heal them by that itself.   

My own personal opinion on what to take for adrenals??
1. a good adrenal glandular
2. a good buffered vitamin C (most of your vita-c is used up in the adrenal glands)
3.definitely increase salt in the diet.   Eat something salty for breakfast or take a little salt water in the morning.
4. licorice root.

Always remember that healing will not come overnite.  Continue supplements and diet for a year after feeling better.

Offline happy2Bhome

• Adept
« Reply #94 on: June 23, 2008, 10:23:56 AM »
When I had adrenal problems, I KNOW I had PAIN in my back where the adrenals are located.   Alot of pain,  now I also know that I am given to back problems.   However, my chiro told me that exactly where I had the pain was the spot for adrenals.   I did lay on a heating pad on low over that time.  Putting warmth in at the adrenals will do good but not heal them by that itself.   

2. a good buffered vitamin C (most of your vita-c is used up in the adrenal glands)
3.definitely increase salt in the diet.   Eat something salty for breakfast or take a little salt water in the morning.
4. licorice root.

Always remember that healing will not come overnite.  Continue supplements and diet for a year after feeling better.

Is that all you took for your adrenals?  About how long would you say it took before you noticed feeling better?  Thank you!!!

Offline just jane

• Adept
« Reply #95 on: June 23, 2008, 11:08:15 AM »

4. licorice root.

Is that all you took for your adrenals?  About how long would you say it took before you noticed feeling better?  Thank you!!!
How soon you feel better will only depend on how LONG you have had the problem and what STRESS is in your life.    You need lots of rest to rebuild your adrenals along with sunshine, fresh air, good healthy food (protein) etc.   
I would say for me, it took over a year, my blood pressure was very low.   I think I will always tend to have a weakness in this area, so I therefore will need to say NO sometimes to too many things to do,get my rest etc.   I still take plenty of C, some adrenal glandular as well.  Oh, and I take Supermoms, and probiotics as well.

Offline happy2Bhome

• Adept
« Reply #96 on: June 23, 2008, 11:22:58 AM »
Thanks, Just Jane!  What glandular did you take (brand)?

Offline just jane

• Adept
« Reply #97 on: June 23, 2008, 12:55:37 PM »
Thanks, Just Jane!  What glandular did you take (brand)?
  For awhile I took one from vitacost.com.  I don't remember the name.  It was a good price and it had some B vitamins in it too.  You could call them and they could look it up on their computer and tell you.
Recently, I have been taking Drenamin from Standard Process.   I am only taking a low dose since I am preggo.   My chiro has told me it is safe to take while preggo but I still am taking a low dose.

Offline happy2Bhome

• Adept
« Reply #98 on: June 24, 2008, 04:03:34 AM »
I also took Standard Process glandulars, but did not notice any improvement.   :-[  Maybe I should have taken it longer. 

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #99 on: June 24, 2008, 05:50:43 AM »
I also took Standard Process glandulars, but did not notice any improvement.   :-[  Maybe I should have taken it longer. 

When it comes to needing adrenal glandulars the only one I would recommend is Isocort.  It's not that expensive, they ship free and it works very well.  Dosing is up to 8 a day and you adjust to how you are feeling.  I do 3 in the AM and 3 at lunch.  Isocort is bovine adrenal hormone.

hth

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

cecac

« Reply #100 on: June 24, 2008, 06:31:44 AM »
 ;D ;D  this is funny.  I agree with both jane and patti on the adrenal supplements.  I am nursing right now, so I am on 2 Isocort breakfast & lunch.  I was taking Drenamin before the pregnancy, and switched to Isocort.  I went off of Isocort in the pregnancy for a few weeks due to a bad flu.  I began to get depressed and started my Isocort again. The depression was gone very quickly.  So I know it was working.  Had I not taken it I likely would have been very depressed the entire pregnancy.  I do not know what Drenamin would have done, because I just automatically assumed I needed more than something to feed the gland to help it produce on it's own.

I have taken Drenamin with good success in times when I am not pregnant or nursing. 

Don't think I'd do them both at once, though, goodness talk about overdrive. :o  Hmmm, then again, I need more get-up-and-go right now.....just kidding.

I also took Standard Process glandulars, but did not notice any improvement.   :-[  Maybe I should have taken it longer. 

That may be true, but IMO, there are many factors to one supplement not working.  I highly recommend the book Adrenal Fatigue, The 21st Century Stress Syndrome by James L. Wilson, ND, DC, PhD. The reason for this is because you may be doing some other things, eating some things, etc, that counteract that one supplement and continue to stress the adrenals.  Jane has really summed that up with what she said.  She has to watch her activity levels, has had to learn to say no when she knows her body wouldn't keep up, etc.  I can testify too that I've had to do the same thing.  It is a combination of things that will help the endocrine system heal and actually gain ground.  When I am pregnant, I know I cannot gain ground, but I can manage things to where I don't lose ground.  With my 7th pregnancy I ended up with very low blood pressure and almost no adrenal function.  My Chiro/OMD helped me out of that 5 years ago.  I've been learning, adapting, taking supplements, etc for those five years and by pregnancy #10 I didn't go into low blood pressure, etc.  I had other issues, though, and I need to look into that as it pertains to adrenals now.

There is also the possibility that your situation may not be purely one of adrenal fatigue.  Endocrine system issues can go from one gland type to another as one or the other stengthens.  Some overall endocrine system balancing may be a good idea, as well.  That would not be discussed in the book, though.  I've been wanting to read along that line, and started a thread about it here on WTM.  It is slow going, but anyway, there are some thoughts.

Cara

Offline happy2Bhome

• Adept
« Reply #101 on: June 24, 2008, 08:17:21 AM »
I highly recommend the book Adrenal Fatigue, The 21st Century Stress Syndrome by James L. Wilson, ND, DC, PhD.

I ordered this book recently, after the recommendations here at WTM, and LOVE it.  It's what I've needed to read for years and am just now reading.  Thank you so much for mentioning it here!  I am learning so much about resting, eating right (which I pretty much do already) and using the right supplements.  You all are fabulous about sharing great info! 

Offline happy2Bhome

• Adept
« Reply #102 on: June 25, 2008, 01:47:21 PM »
Thought some of you might be able to relate to what happened to me today.  I went to see my doctor for my annual well-woman exam.  I told her of all my "symptoms" (which clearly indicate adrenal fatigue).  I was not expecting medical help from her (my chiropractor has tested me and is helping), but wanted to see what she said (esp. after reading the Adrenal Fatigue book).  She said I might have diabetes, thyroid issues or too much testerone!  ???  She never mentioned adrenals at all.  I wonder how many women go into her office (in a large city) and share these exact symptoms only to hear what I heard.  She's doing blood work (which she did last time - and everything came back normal).  We'll see if she refers me to a psychiatrist next !!!   :D

cecac

« Reply #103 on: June 25, 2008, 03:20:57 PM »
Oh goodness happy2Bhome, I've never tried that.  Guess the book is right there about docs, and that is very sad.  Here they go, putting someone on anti-depressants, etc, for adrenal fatigue. ::)

And I had a thought for you today:  If the Drenamin didn't work (actually it shouldn't take too long in my experience and in my mom's experience) then I'm with patti.  Maybe you ought to try the Isocort.

My dd17 is not taking Drenamin, but she is taking Thytrophin.  I share that with you because it didn't take long for her symptoms of thyroid to leave, either.  She quit losing hair pronto.  Also, yesterday, she skipped her supplements and ended up tired.   Thytrophin is the same for thyroid as Drenamin is for adrenals.  So, there again, it wasn't long.

Oh, and Drenamin didn't do anything for dd17, either.  So, I dunno, maybe you ought to look at thyroid, too?

Just some thoughts,
Cara

Offline happy2Bhome

• Adept
« Reply #104 on: June 25, 2008, 03:36:13 PM »
You know - I also wonder if my chiro "prescribed" enough of the Drenamin.   ???  I've been going to him for years, but he just found out about Standard Process and is still learning about muscle testing and SP products.  I was one of his first (if not the first) patients to take the SP products for adrenal.  Do you remember about how much you took?  I am taking Symplex F (has glandulars in it, but not as much as a specific glandular product to address one issue...I don't think).  Thank you SO much for taking the time to answer my questions!!   :)

cecac

« Reply #105 on: June 25, 2008, 04:17:59 PM »
Symplex F (I'm taking it also right now) is for overall endocrine system support, that is the impression I have from having it recommended to me after a miscarriage by a natural doctor, Dr. Bruce West.  He publishes a newsletter and also uses Standard Process supplements.  He also suggested Drenamin and Thytrophin for me, as well.  I'm now taking Symplex F, Thytrophin, and Isocort.  I'll likely try and switch to Drenamin when nursing is over.

Lemme think, I took 2-3 Drenamin in the morning with breakfast and then again at lunch.  I did not take it after 1:00 or so, to make sure that it didn't revv me up before bed.  My Chiro/OMD (sounds like the chiro you have) says he's taken Drenamin for years and he didn't take it in the later day, either.

Blessings on figuring it all out, HTH,
Cara

Offline beckyoto

• Learning
« Reply #106 on: September 03, 2008, 03:17:33 AM »
Out of curiosity, do you think Castor oil packs might help adrenal glands?  I've never tried one myself, but I hear they can help other organs, like the liver, so why not glands too. Any thoughts?

Also, I got the book 'Adrenal Fatigue: The 21st Century Stress Syndrome' and wow, great book!

BeckyOto

Offline MrsSWM

• Learning
« Reply #107 on: September 07, 2008, 10:51:43 AM »
Hello,

I have read through both threads on the adrenal and endocrine systems and found them most informative and helpful.

I have severe adrenal fatigue and have a few questions for you all.

Just to give a bit of background first: I'm 33 years old and have always struggled with allergies etc. Looking back now, I think I've had weak adrenals for a long time. However, my health started going downhill rapidly  almost 3 years ago when I was about 6 months pregnant with our 5th baby (he is now 2  1/2).

I didn't know what was happening to me! I felt like my body was falling apart, my brain didn't want to work, my hormones went wacky and the fatigue got worse and worse.

Last summer I began feeling worse and worse.

In June I had a "crash" where I could hardly get out of bed for a few days. I still had no clue as to what was happening. We thought perhaps it was my blood sugar, since I struggle with low blood sugar. After a few days I was able to pull myself (shakily) back to my feet, but my health just disintegrated after that. I was hardly able to get off the couch in the mornings. I would manage to get up, see my husband off to work and get the children fed, but then I would HAVE to lay down and sleep. I would put on a video for the children and then collapse on the couch. I would barely make it through until naptime and then down I would go again.

Finally, in August (this time last year) when I was just about a month pregnant with our 6th baby I had another bad crash. This time I did not come out of it after a few days but got worse and worse and worse. I was hardly able to eat, since eating was too much effort for my body and it would wipe me out so badly there were times I could not move. There were times where I could not even sit up in bed and, at my lowest, had a few episodes where it felt like a struggle even to breathe. I also had a dreadful time sleeping and often couldn't get to sleep until after 2 AM or later.

We didn't know what to do! We suspected that mainstream doctors would not be much help and we were proven right.

I managed to get in for some blood work on a better day and my dad (who is a doctor) spoke to an endocrinologist and asked her to look it over. She said it was normal and that she suspected that my troubles where pregnancy related and referred me to an OB doctor. Since I knew my health had been plummeting before I was pregnant I didn't think this was too likely. However, I managed to make it in to talk with an OB doctor who also told me that my blood work was normal and there were really no further tests to take. She told me I needed to eat more often and get more exercise!!! At this point I had been mostly bed or recliner ridden for 6 weeks!! (What Dr. Wilson says in his book Adrenal Fatigue about mainstream doctors is very true!)

We did suspect my adrenals, but had no idea they could be affected so badly! I started reading and researching during my better moments and my mom did as well ( She and my sister came to stay with us) We had used Standard Process quite a bit when I was growing up, so she had me start taking Drenamin and Raw Adrenal. This seemed to be what pulled me out of crisis mode.

Last winter I read Adrenal Fatigue, which was a HUGE help and encouragement even in knowing just what was wrong with me!

To summarize; over the past year since then I have verrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyy slowwwwwwwwwly been improving, with many plateaus and set backs. Thankfully, I have never gotten as bad as I was at the beginning, but every now and then I have a day that brings those memories back a little too freshly.

Our little miracle baby was born safely in April this year. He was (and is) strong and healthy and the Lord brought me safely through and blessed us with another home delivery. I did hemmhorage afterward (as I have done with 5 of our six children.... which is another story altogether!!!) and had a long, hard recovery (due in part to my adrenal fatigue as well as the blood loss).

Since the baby was born and I recovered from that I have slowly been creeping forward again to where I am today. Currently, my sister is still living with us, since I'm still not able to take care of the household on my own. I am still having trouble sleeping with my biggest problem being that I just can't conquer the horrible, crushing morning fatigue. I am able to get up in the mornings for a couple of hours, but then the fatigue comes crashing down on me and I have to lay down. It's not just tiredness it's as though my whole body shuts down. If I try to fight it I feel worse and worse and get dizzy and nauseated. I usually have to sleep every morning from around 9:30 am - 1:00 pm. It varies a little bit and I've ad good days where I manage to be up by 11:30 or noon.

After my morning sleep I'm able to be up and functioning somewhat normally for the afternoon. I still feel draggy and have to pace myself carefully but I can almost forget that I'm sick. By evening again I'm ready for bed. Right now I've a bit of a challenge in trying to get our little 4 month old onto a good routine. Since he sleeps so much with me in the day, I have a hard time getting him to sleep when I'm ready for bed again at 10:00! Once I miss that sleepy window I get a bit of a second wind and can't shut down again until around 2:00 am. He's also nursing (in the night as well).

I have good days and bad days and if I do too much one day, I'm usually laid pretty low the next day.

Right now, I am taking Standard Process supplements and working with a Chiropractor who does muscle testing. He is currently treating my thyroid, brain and pancreas as well. (I'm taking Min Trans- for brain exhaustion, Pancreatrophin, Drenatrophin and a few other things) I'm just not feeling much better though!! I know that it can take a long time to heal, but I would like to feel myself  moving along a little faster. I have noticed that my stamina in the afternoons seems a bit better many days and I don't have so many spells of feeling like I'm going to pass out. I'm thankful for this but I feel desperate to have my mornings back!

We have 6 little ones and our oldest is 7. My sister does a wonderful job with them and I truly could not ask for a better, more, loving dedicated caregiver aside from my husband and myself. She has embraced her current role here and feels that this is where the Lord would have her be for now. We are trusting that the Lord has a reason for it all and she doesn't complain, but I would love for her to be able to go home again. My parents don't complain either, but I know they would love to have her back (she does go home on the weekends).

I am longing to be able to step back to full time mothering as well.  The children are doing as well as possible, but  it is hard on them and my dear husband (who takes such good care of me!). I'm afraid our homeschooling is currently more unschooling, and there are many things that need my attention as mistress of the home that I just can barely manage to attend to (or never do get attended to)

So sorry for my long-windedness!! All this brings me to my current questions. Have any of you struggled with the sleep and morning fatigue to this extent? If so has the Isocort pulled you out if it? Do you think the Isocort might be good for me try? I haven't tried it yet, but am seriously considering it. I did take SP's Raw Adrenal and have taken the Drenamin and Drenatrophin for months. Nothing has touched the morning fatigue. I do feel nervous about being dependent on something replacing my cortisol rather than healing my adrenals, but I think I'm still at a bit of a need-drastic-measures level!

Thanks very much for reading all of this. I think those are my questions for now (all that background for just a few questions! :-)) I very much appreciate any suggestions or insight you might have. We know the Lord has allowed this trial for our good and He has taught us many precious lessons over this past year (that were much needed). If He wills it though, I would so love to be well again and pray for it daily. I do know all things are in His perfect timing.

Thanks again!

Sincerely,
Jennifer
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 11:01:58 AM by MrsSWM »

Offline MrsSWM

• Learning
« Reply #108 on: September 07, 2008, 11:36:45 AM »
I forgot to mention that we do also try to eat healthfully too. Whole foods, raw milk, grass fed meats and as much organic as we can. :-)

Jennifer

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #109 on: September 07, 2008, 11:43:07 AM »
Jennifer,

Have you had a RAST blood test?  This involves an initial blood draw, an injection that challenges your adrenals, and then a later blood draw to measure reaction.    With normal or even some adrenal function, you should have at least a doubled number from the initial draw.   This will show if you have sufficient adrenal function to work on healing.  If there is not a doubled number, you may have adrenals that do not function, or Addison's Disease.  

Your thyroid function may be causing some of these symptoms, too.  I don't know much about that, I'm sorry.  

As far as taking Isocort, that would totally be your decision.  For myself, I don't have much problem with the idea of being dependent on something that allows me to function normally, kwim?   I think it might be worth giving it a try to see if it helps.  

I have Addison's and have been completely dependent on Isocort as well as a couple of other supplements my doc prescribed for over 9 years.  I suppose that I will be taking them forever.  
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #110 on: September 07, 2008, 02:54:08 PM »
Jennifer,

Yup, it sounds like your adrenals are crashed.  Six babies in 7yrs is a little tough on the body!  Everyone's a little different with when their adrenals crash.  My low cortisol time is from 4:00pm to 8:00pm.  Then I wake up and have a hard time going to sleep until after midnight!  I wish I felt as well all day as I do from 8:00pm until midnight. 

Some things I would recommend -  I would absolutely say get on the Isocort.  But do not take it with Drenamin.  I would take Isocort and Rhodiola.  Start with 2 pellets of Isocort immediately after you get out of bed and 2 more at lunch.  Give it 3-4 days.  If you're still groggy in the AM bump your pellets to 3 and 3.  If that doesn't work, bump to 4 and 4.  That is the max you can take a day.  I had to take 8 pellets a day for several years.  I now no longer have to take the Isocort.  So yes, you can still heal while taking it because your giving your body what it needs, not excess to where the adrenals would shut down.

You should consider adding Rhodiola and Symplex F as well.  Rhodiola is an adaptagen and will nourish the adrenals as well.  It is NOT raw hormone but mostly panothenic acid and rhodiola root.  It, in combination with the Isocort, I'm guessing will get you moving again.  Symplex F will nourish you entire endocrine system (which it sounds like you need).  One thing to remember is that if you have one gland that is deficient, your other glands are also likely the deficient because the body will "borrow" from glands to try and balance itself out and then what you have is a whole deficient endocrine system.  Both Rhodiola and symplex F can be bought online.  I took the symplex F for a couple of years also before I was able to go off of it.  I still take the rhodiola for the adrenals. 

If you can, get well enough to just focus on your kids and husband and leave your house to someone else for the time being (your sister?) then you will feel a lot better.  Keep a tight diet from Wilson's book.  It took me about two years (maybe a little longer) but I am doing much better today then I was then.  I still teeter on a thin line and too much stress physically wallops my adrenals, but I can function daily now at least. 

As for Addison's - if you had it you would be in the hospital and near dying.  When somone has no adrenal function (as in addisons) their body shuts down because cortisol is needed for every function we do every day.  However, that doesn't mean your adrenals aren't very near shutting down (mine were) and require immediate attention so it doesn't become Addisons. 

So to recap - I would recommend the Isocort (working up as needed), Symplex F (follow bottle directions) and Rhodiola (one capsule twice daily  - breakfast and lunch). 

hth

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline AllinHisTime

• Adept
« Reply #111 on: September 07, 2008, 03:59:07 PM »
My story sounds similar to Jennifer's, only not as extreme.  My incident was 3 or 4 years ago and I know for sure I am not the same.  I have not done much of anything to correct this issue other than maintaining good eating habits, water intake, Supermoms, cod liver oil.  My sleep patterns are screwy and I seem to hit a wall twice a day, in the late morning and late evening.  I never even thought about it being related to my adrenals until I read these recent stories!

What things can I take while nursing?
A truth's initial commotion is directly proportional to how deeply the lie was believed...When a well packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.-- Dresden James

Offline born-an-okie

• Adept
« Reply #112 on: September 07, 2008, 04:31:20 PM »
I'm just throwing this out there as something else to look for.  The only time I have ever experienced extreme fatigue is when I had mono when I was 23 yrs old.   It went undiscovered for several months as I could still function on a semi normal level and when I first got it I was abroad doing missionary work and didn't see a doctor.  So you might look into testing for Epstein-Barr virus which causes mono and can cause problems throughout life during times of stress.  Also, maybe have your hemoglobin levels checked if that wasn't done.  Chlorophyll can help bring hemoglobin up fast and helps lots of people with fatigue, myself included.  We've had 6 kids in 10 years and that has been stressful enough, so I'm sure that 6 in 7 years is even harder.  I'm definitely needing some help with my adrenal glands as well.  I pray that you will find something that helps!

cecac

« Reply #113 on: September 08, 2008, 07:34:21 AM »
Hello again Jennifer.

I'm sorry I haven't read all the replies.  Your story is very similar to mine, but I've had 10 children in 17 years.  So, mine is not nearly as drastic.  I can totally identify with what you have gone through and are going through.  (((((hugs to you))))).

Yes, I've had the extreme morning tiredness.  It was in this last pregnancy (late part) and while I was nursing for the first 3 mos postpartum.  I just weaned my baby two weeks ago. 

I do not know if the Isocort was helping with that particular symptom.  I do know that it helped me in the pregnancy to stay out of depression.  I know that because I went off of it during a bad flu, and got depressed.  Two days of taking the Isocort cured me of the depression.

My chiro/OMD told me just the other day that he Really, Really doesn't like cortisol products such as Isocort.  The reason is that cortisol is the easiest of the horomones to produce that the adrenal produces, and really, it will tend to over-produce that one.  I can say that the last two weeks I took Isocort, I was having racing thoughts and couldn't go to sleep til late.  So I was taking too much.

I'm completely off of it for now. 

I need to go right now, but I'll add later---

Blessings,
Cara

cecac

« Reply #114 on: September 08, 2008, 01:22:50 PM »
So, I got to come back and read Patti's thoughts and others' thoughts, too. 

((((ladyhen))))  I want to let you know that my OMD/chiro put me onto a different supplement other than Drenamin for feeding my adrenals and hopefully bringing them back up.  I evidently am at a low point right now.  Anyway, my doc explained that he has taken Drenamin for 20 years and noticed that he and others that took it need to continue to do so or they don't feel so well.  He's been wanting something that would actually heal adrenals so that patients do not have to continue on anything.  The product that he is recommending is Quantum Adrenal Complex.  I began to take it two days ago and he recommended that I supplement for 1 year.  He started me at 4 per day, in two doses (2 each dose).  He said, though, to bump to six if I need to and monitor myself.  I may need more or less.

The one ingredient in it that he explained is a mushroom.

I will report here as I take it.

I wanted to note, also, that one symptom I had at the end of this pregnancy which I'd never had before is painful feet.  I get up every morning almost limping they hurt so bad, and then as I get going it lessens.  My OMD/chiro said that adrenals are connected to the feet somehow.  I had never had that symptom before. 

I am also experiencing sensitivity to light right now, as well as having a hard time going to sleep.  I'm using caffeine some during the day to keep at an even pace, but I am noticing that I do not need it so much, so I think things are getting better. 

I do not believe that is the new supplement.  I believe that is because I weaned my baby.

AllInHisTime, I have to wean.  I know of no way to work on adrenals and nurse at the same time.  I get emotionally very weak, and I have no stamina when I nurse, and that is with taking Isocort and several other supplements.

Right now, my sadness is in the area of nursing.  For many years, I was either pregnant or nursing--with only a couple of breaks where my body was not doing anything.  Nursing made me feel sick but I didn't know it until my husband and I decided we'd make baby formula and wean #9 at 6 weeks old.  Then I saw the difference.  I wish I'd weaned most of my children at a much earlier time, I wish I'd given my endocrine system more of a break. I am not certain, but perhaps the lack of sleep had a large part to do with it.  However, I trained my #10 to sleep through the night while partial nursing (5 times per day) and bottle feeding (twice per day).  I did hang out until almost three months, and I wonder if I got those extra weeks to nurse my #10 because I got consistent sleep.

I had spoken with two ladies who had alot of children over the years, and both of them weaned at either 6 weeks or three months.  I did not really understand the full picture about myself.   I feel like, due to my adrenal issues, things have been harder on my family.  And while I am not one jot sorry for all of my dear children, I think they could have been almost as healthily raised on homemade formula.  And maybe, just maybe, I wouldn't have gotten as weak.

I share these things so that perhaps some other lady will know that for some of us, it is not as easy to breastfeed as others.  And that's okay. :'(  And there are alternatives and we can take very good care of our babies anyway, even though our bodies can't keep up.

Here is the list of supplements that I am taking that I believe, with time, will help me strengthen my adrenal glands:

Catalyn:  3/2x per day
MinTran:  3/2x per day
Symplex F:  2/2x per day
CardioPlus:  2/2x per day
Cataplex B:  1/2x per day
Quantum Adrenal Complex:  2/2x per day

One thing my doctor did explain to me about Symplex F:  It is formulated not so much to nourish the endocrine system, but to cause it to work.  It somehow signals the pituitary, thyroid, and adrenals to function.  According to him,  ???, it is not for nourishment.  Drenamin does the same action of signaling the adrenals to a lesser degree and nourishing the adrenals to a larger degree.  My doctor told me that Drenamin has no live horomone (cortisol) in it to his knowledge. 

Patti, I think that somehow contradicts what you've said, but I felt I needed to share it just so that we can all get the differing views.  I don't really know,myself.

I will be honest and say it is not likely that I will go back to this doctor.  We clash. ::)  He feels that I argue, and I feel that he does not ask enough questions.  Heck, for $75 a pop, you'd think he'd be pleased to answer anything I felt I needed to ask.  He pretty much read my dh and I the riot act last week because we have so many children.  He informed us that in China, I wouldn't even be allowed to do this because they don't want the gov't to have to pay for children.  Then he informed us that if we had wanted a large family, I should have started at 14 so that I could have had 2-3 years between children.  He did state that he knew we would do what we were going to do.  He also stated that his mother is ailing and he has alot of patients not doing well.  I think he was caring for me, but for some reason he wasn't very gracious at all.

Okay, so I'm adrenal weak right now and that is a very good thing.  If not, I'd have trimmed him way down to the ground, likely. Instead, I got out to the car and cried a while.  Some the next day too.  I am having to face that my adrenals are pretty shot. 

We can rebuild.  We can.  And for those who need to take Isocort, I am so thankful you have it to take.

I hope and pray wisdom for all of us going through this.  I agree with Jennifer (Mrs. SWM) that we learn alot in the process.

I share what I do about my relationship with this doctor so that when anyone reads his advice, it is definitely with a grain of salt. :)

Blessings,
Cara

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #115 on: September 08, 2008, 01:56:32 PM »
Thanks, Cara.

I, too, was pregnant or b-feeding for over 18 years with a year break in about the middle of that time.  However, I had several episodes of adrenal exhaustion before I ever had any children.   I was able to br-feed long term, but I think only because I was taking herbal teas for adrenal support and lots of Superfood.

I go to an MD that practices traditional homeopathy.  He trained with Hans Neiper in Germany and is absolutely amazing.  I have been under his care since my first episode with metal poisoning 22 years ago.  In taking my history, he suspects that I have had low functioning adrenals since birth and that my father and gr.mother did as well.  He said that the tendency can be hereditary.  At least 2 of our children have low adrenal function, too. 

I was treated for the early episodes of ad. exhaustion with various treatments (that I don't remember now) and recovered quickly once I took treatment.  I also began taking a whole food (Superfood) supplement about 20 + years ago and that has helped a lot. 

In 1999 I began having more serious symptoms of confusion, depression, weight gain, heart arrhythmia and tachycardia, brain fog, AND nausea, joint pain, and quarter-sized sores that looked like burns.  The sores reminded us of when I had nickel poisoning in 1985 so we quickly called our doc and got me in.  Testing showed that I had radiation poisoning; he tested for several kinds of radiation and I tested high for 2 types that are produced by nuclear power plants.  My system had been storing radiation until it became a toxic overload.  The radiation 'killed' my adrenals and I was in full failure.  My liver, kidneys, heart, CNS, and digestion were all affected.   He said that I am extremely unusual to have had 2 incidences with metal poisoning.  lucky me!  ::)

I have had foot pain sometimes, too.  Taking extra Omegas and Cal/Mag has helped, as well as upping my Isocort for a week or so.  I am also extremely photosensitive.  I sleep with a dark colored hand towel over my eyes as any ambient light will disturb my sleep.   I have to take Lithium Orotate to keep my 'me' calm.   The tachycardia and heart pain seems to be controlled by that.  He also told me to drink coffee morning and evening; either regular or decaf as there were other factors in the coffee that he wants me to have.  I cannot do any real physically strenuous exercise or work, but I am active - - or was until my accident last year.  I find that spending time in direct sunlight really helps me feel 'whole', too. 

I have had episodes where I suddenly begin to dehydrate.  I pee frequently, sweat, get irregular heartbeat, headache, dry mouth, etc..  It usually takes almost a teaspoon of good salt and over 2 quarts of water before I begin to feel better from this.   I consume a lot of salt and a lot of water.  Doc said that I am good at reading my body and keeping this in balance. 

It's been a couple of years since I have seen my doctor, due to our situation right now.  It just hasn't been financially possible to go across the country to see him.  I am not comfortable going to see someone who is not familiar (REAL familiar) with Addison's.  While in the hospital this past year since my accident, I have had to explain the disease to several health care 'professionals'.  We thank God that the surgeon who was here when I had the accident knew something about it and ordered a hydrocortisone 'surge' for me prior to surgery.  This kept me going for about 3 days post-surgery.  The anesthesiologist  questioned the order - had never heard of Addison's and saw no need to give it.  * Battle in the pre-op ward! *   After surgery, I was in the hospital for 2 weeks and the surgeon wrote in my chart to close my room door at 10:30 pm, all lights off, thermostat set very cool with me well covered, and undisturbed until 7 am.  What a great guy!  He understood how important sleep is to an Addison's patient! 
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 03:12:44 PM by ladyhen »
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

cecac

« Reply #116 on: September 08, 2008, 02:30:22 PM »
Oh ladyhen, I am so sorry that you have no adrenals to rebuild.  But I am very glad for you--it sounds that you do indeed know yourself very well and that you are very wise with your treatments.  You are very encouraging, thank you.

Cara

Offline MrsSWM

• Learning
« Reply #117 on: September 09, 2008, 06:36:38 PM »
Thank you all very much for your helpful replies!

ladyhen, It sounds like you have certainly been through some health trials!I haven't had the RAST test. At the time we were considering it a year ago I was pregnant, and we weren't sure about what risk it might pose to the baby. I don't think I have full blown Addision's, but I do think I was sure headed for it a year ago.

I agree, if worst comes to worst I would rather be dependent on something and able to function.

Patti, thanks very much for your suggestions! I went ahead and ordered the Isocort and can't wait to try it. I plan to order some Rhodiola too.

born-an-okie, thank you for your suggestions as to clorophyll. It IS excellent stuff and has always brought my hemoglobin up quickly after I've had a baby. I can almost always tell that I have a bit more energy when I am taking it. I'd stopped taking it, so your post reminded me to go on it again for awhile. :-)

Cara, I've had that foot pain too!! I had no idea it was related to the adrenals. It hasn't been bad lately, but I've had it so badly I have barely been able to walk. I think it is a certain condition (the name escapes me at the moment) where the ligaments are breaking down. I've found wearing shoes almost all the time to be imperative to helping that to heal. I've also noticed it seems to get worse after I've had a baby. (Haven't had it too badly this time, thankfully).

Thank you very much for your input. I'll be interested to hear how you do on your new supplement.

Thanks very much again all of you. I will try to post an update as to how I am doing on the Isocort... and prayers would be greatly appreciated! :-)

In addition to just desperatlely needing to be able to care for my family again, I am hoping to be able to make it to my brother's wedding in two weeks which happens to be right at the time of day when I am usually zonked out and half comatose! :-\ :)

I'll be praying for all of you as well.

God bless,
Jennifer

Offline AllinHisTime

• Adept
« Reply #118 on: September 09, 2008, 09:22:48 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  Since quiting breastfeeding for me, is not an option, I guess I'll do all I can and certainly pray!!!  I'll keep trying to get enough rest and nourish my body as much as I can.

A truth's initial commotion is directly proportional to how deeply the lie was believed...When a well packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.-- Dresden James

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #119 on: September 10, 2008, 03:17:33 AM »
When your adrenals are shot the way mine were, you have no energy, and you feel a "racing" inside that makes sleep impossible, further blowing out your adrenals. Why? Because burned-out adrenals put you in such a state of fatigue that sleep is impossible. This lack of rest exacerbates the situation; things get worse and worse. What do you do when you are exhausted? You drink coffee, a stimulant that gives a false sense of energy. Then, when you don't sleep soundly for days, then weeks, even months, depression is the result. What do you do then? You do to your doctor, who prescribes an antidepressant like Prozac or Paxil. . . .
page 51

A young healthy reproductive woman has a full complement of hormones, and if she goes to bed early, sleep is a given; but as we age and begin to lose our hormones and develop bad sleeping habits, the body gets confused and prolactin keeps escalating.

T. S. Wiley writes in Sex, Lies, and Menopause, "At the end of perimenopause, cortisol soars and estrogen and progesterone hit bottom . . . just as they do during labor and delivery. At this point in the template, your immune system revs up so high that it may attack your cartilage and mucous membranes, and that scenario creates joint pain (arthritis), allergies, and an autoimmune disease called Hashimoto's thyroiditis can also happen. Once your immune system has attacked and halted thyroid function, with the insulin resistance from sleeplessness, you just keep getting fatter" [and more and more tired].

Wonderful things happen in the night if you go to sleep early enough. Early is between 9:00 and 10:00 p.m. I know, I know, nobody goes to sleep that early; it is one of the reasons we are sick because we don't sleep. In fact, sleep loss is the new American deficie. We are fat and diabetic from lack of sleep. We are dying from cancer and heart disease from lack of sleep. Our healing hormones have no chance to do their work without sleep.

When you lose sleep, you really can't catch up. Your hormones don't spring back like that. Sleeping less than you need affects at least ten different hormones, not just melatonin. That's just the tip of the iceberg. Sleeplessness causes shifts in all these hormones and changes appetite, fertility, and mental and cardiac health.

The National Institutes of Health concludes that six hours of prolactin production in the dark is the minimum necessary to maintain immune function like T-cell and beneficial killer-cell production. But you can't get six hours of prolactin secretion on six hours of sleep a night. It takes at least three and a half hours of melatonin secretion before you even see prolactin. So if you don't go to bed two or three hours before midnight, there won't be enough time for this hormonal action to happen. Remember, if you sleep enough each night, you will lose weight as a result of your cortisol going down. Now you're listening aren't you? . . . . .

And one more thing -- you must sleep in complete darkness. Even the smallest bit of light keeps your cortisol from lowering. Put tape over the computer lights, and the light on the phone, and the light from your digital clock. These tiny bits of light will all affect your sleep and keep your cortisol level high. There was a study done where they put people in a completely dark room except for one tiny pin light on the backs of their knees, and their cortisol stayed high as a result.
pages 232,233, Ageless, Suzanne Sommers (ISBN 978-0-307-23725-5)
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com