Author Topic: Vaccinations: Dealing With Doctors & Pressures  (Read 88353 times)

Offline Mrs. Visionary

• Adept
    • PureBulk, Inc.
Re: Vaccinations: Dealing With Doctors & Pressures
« Reply #150 on: August 08, 2008, 04:41:15 PM »

Offline khix

• Master
  • Forever changed, forever Yours!
« Reply #151 on: August 09, 2008, 03:14:48 AM »
Try this link.

http://www.vaclib.org/exemption.htm

I found this on the above site:

Q. What if there is a vaccine-preventable disease—such as measles—outbreak at a
school?

A. Each parent or guardian who signs a vaccine exemption affidavit form also is
acknowledging they understand that their child may be excluded from school attendance
in times of emergency or epidemic declared by the Texas Commissioner of Health.

Now, it says "may" be excluded....does that mean it's up to each individual school?  I'm having a hard time finding out specific info.  I want to be armed with INFO before I contact the school/nurse again.
Save $5 on your first order at www.iHerb.com!  Use referral code HIC104.

www.campaignforliberty.com

Offline khix

• Master
« Reply #152 on: August 09, 2008, 03:43:45 AM »
Found this:

Exemptions
The law allows (a) physicians to write a statement stating that the vaccine(s) required is medically contraindicated or poses a
significant risk to the health and well-being of the child or any member of the child’s household, and (b) parents/guardians to
choose an exemption from immunization requirements for reasons of conscience, including a religious belief. Schools and
child-care facilities should maintain an up-to-date list of students with exemptions, so they can be excluded from attending
school if an outbreak occurs.

here:  http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/immunize/docs/school/6-14.pdf

but, it's still not clear if it's a state law or if it's up to the school to decide.

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #153 on: August 09, 2008, 03:53:40 AM »
Well, I bet the likely hood of an epidemic is pretty small.  Not sure about the outbreak but seems if the majority is vaxed there shouldn't be an outbreak.   ::)  I would definitely argue about the non-excused.....what if a dr doesn't give a certain vax b/c it is contraindicated?  Now that would mean a parent had no choice in the matter so they should not have unexcused absences.  I would try to get them to sign something that says they will be excused and you can just do their work at home w/ them for that period of time.  It MIGHT work.  If you just let them know it is a matter of conscience...seems like they should respect that. 

Offline khix

• Master
« Reply #154 on: August 11, 2008, 03:05:00 AM »
OK, after much research, I still can't come up with much.  Hopefully, since TX law appears to be rather vague, I can prove that the school can't say that they would be unexcused absences and that that the school can't exclude the older siblings. This is just so crazy! I think, according to TX law, if you have 10 unexcused absences, you're in trouble. So, in a way, TX is not vaccine-exemption-friendly....the vaccine exemption is not there to help you, but to punish you.....sure, you can be exempt from vaccines, but beware if there's an outbreak, you'll be punished for not being vaccinated! <<<insert evil laugh here>>>

Ugh! Maybe in the unlikely event of an outbreak, I can un-enroll my kids, homeschool them for 2 weeks, and then re-enroll them. Do you all think this would work? I know TX is a homeschool-friendly state....unless that's a wolf in sheep's clothing too!

Offline khix

• Master
« Reply #155 on: August 12, 2008, 02:46:50 AM »
Maybe in the unlikely event of an outbreak, I can un-enroll my kids, homeschool them for 2 weeks, and then re-enroll them. Do you all think this would work?

Bumping for any opinions on the above.

Also, would it be better to bring this issue up now, and get it settled now, or would it be better to wait if/when an outbreak occurred?

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #156 on: August 12, 2008, 03:45:01 AM »
This is just my opinion, but I've found that the less you interact with scool officials the better on controversial stuff.  That will keep you from being the scapegoat...you defintely don't want to be targeted as the 'problem' parent.  Just politely say 'I understand' and go on your happy way. 

I would try to avoid them getting anything signed or in writing about the 'outbreak' stuff they told you.  The rule of thumb around here is that if it's in writing/signed, it's as good as gold.  If it's verbal, then it's worthless. 

(Note: This goes both ways...so if you have a valid concern, then always put it in writing!  Our school systems must keep copies of written letters on file for the student.  I wouldn't use a letter in this case...only if you and hubby have serious concerns about a classroom situation or something that you WANT to be kept on file.)

I would let bygones be bygones in this case.  The odds are that there will not be an outbreak, and if there is one, it may not even involve your child/children.  They are just trying to scare you because you are not neatly folding into the 'mold' ;) 

If there is some sort of problem with an outbreak, expect the schools to firmly line up behind the policy of vaccinations all the way to the superintendant.  Don't fight it.  Just do the temporary home school thing until kids are well.  Parents do this frequently around here over much sillier issues (they'll just get irritated with something and un-enroll their kid, only to bring them back a week or two later).   But, like I said, odds are that you'll never have to deal with this.  Play it cool, and just ignore the scare tactics. 
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline khix

• Master
« Reply #157 on: August 12, 2008, 04:50:29 AM »
This is just my opinion, but I've found that the less you interact with scool officials the better on controversial stuff.  That will keep you from being the scapegoat...you defintely don't want to be targeted as the 'problem' parent.  Just politely say 'I understand' and go on your happy way. 

I would try to avoid them getting anything signed or in writing about the 'outbreak' stuff they told you.  The rule of thumb around here is that if it's in writing/signed, it's as good as gold.  If it's verbal, then it's worthless. 

(Note: This goes both ways...so if you have a valid concern, then always put it in writing!  Our school systems must keep copies of written letters on file for the student.  I wouldn't use a letter in this case...only if you and hubby have serious concerns about a classroom situation or something that you WANT to be kept on file.)

I would let bygones be bygones in this case.  The odds are that there will not be an outbreak, and if there is one, it may not even involve your child/children.  They are just trying to scare you because you are not neatly folding into the 'mold' ;) 

If there is some sort of problem with an outbreak, expect the schools to firmly line up behind the policy of vaccinations all the way to the superintendant.  Don't fight it.  Just do the temporary home school thing until kids are well.  Parents do this frequently around here over much sillier issues (they'll just get irritated with something and un-enroll their kid, only to bring them back a week or two later).   But, like I said, odds are that you'll never have to deal with this.  Play it cool, and just ignore the scare tactics. 

OK, thank you so much for your sound advice!  Much appreciated!   :)

Offline kilikina

• Learning
« Reply #158 on: August 31, 2008, 04:52:27 PM »
We have been looking into health insurance for a while, but now I am pregnant.  I wanted to do without it, but the church we work for doesn't like the idea, because they worry that I will have some major complication and go bankrupt trying to pay for it.  (They don't want to have to bail us out) Anyway, the only thing I can get is state insurance (in Pennsylvania) since I am already pg.  I am concerned because the baby is on it for a whole year after the birth and I don't want to vaccinate.  So... I don't want a social worker at my door because I don't vaccinate.  Does anyone know if this would be a problem with state insurance?

Offline milmuth

• Adept
« Reply #159 on: August 31, 2008, 09:59:29 PM »
we don't have state insurance, but military.  from our experience, it's not hte insurance company that is the problem- it's the doctors.  So, as long as you choose your doc carefully and sign whatever wavers are required, I'd think you'd be ok.  As long as you sign the waiver forms, even a social worker at your door cannot do anything, at least in our state.  You signed an informed, nonconsent instead of informed consent :)

I would consider taking the baby to all the well visits (even if not otherwise your way of doing things) to prevent any other red flags from going up with the insurance company.  just a thought.

Offline ArmyWife

• Adept
    • the Kirkland Family
« Reply #160 on: September 01, 2008, 11:48:11 AM »
We have been looking into health insurance for a while, but now I am pregnant.  I wanted to do without it, but the church we work for doesn't like the idea, because they worry that I will have some major complication and go bankrupt trying to pay for it.  (They don't want to have to bail us out) Anyway, the only thing I can get is state insurance (in Pennsylvania) since I am already pg.  I am concerned because the baby is on it for a whole year after the birth and I don't want to vaccinate.  So... I don't want a social worker at my door because I don't vaccinate.  Does anyone know if this would be a problem with state insurance?

We had a baby in FL and one in WI, both where we were on state insurance (before the military) and I didn't really have any problems with not vaccinating.  Of course the dr.s encouraged it, but it wasn't mandatory.  I'm finding thought that with the military there's not a whole lot I can do without vaccinations (such as use the child care center, and they do NOT give waivers) but I am still holding off on the vax.  for now.  The one time my girls have seen the doc here on base, she was not supportive at ALL that we weren't vax-ing our kids. 
Feel free to visit our family blogspot!  http://toddandannakirkland.blogspot.com

Offline Mrs_H

• Adept
« Reply #161 on: September 01, 2008, 05:31:16 PM »

My kids have State Insurance and I just had a baby and have never had any problems with not Vac, my Peditriction is awesome, at they're check ups the nurse asks nicely if we are and we say no and never hear any more about it.  I do get all the vac pamphlets in the mail though.

Offline ~esposita~

• Master
    • Family Fotos
« Reply #162 on: September 02, 2008, 09:03:00 AM »

We currently live in PA and have had state insurance for our last two babies.  The way the state insurance (SI) here works (as best as I can tell) is you go to your county office building and after a tedious, ridiculous process you are approved for SI.  Then, you choose one of three HMO's; we have AmeriHealth Mercy.  All of us have it, currently (DH, myself, dd, ds, ds).  When your baby is born in the hospital, the baby is initially put on/under your (the mother's) insurance.  After you get home, you jump through a lot of highly annoying hoops by making a lot of dead end phone calls and your baby gets his/her own insurance 'policy'. 

For us, we don't have a pediatrician, per se.  We have a family doctor.  He is willing to work with our idiosyncrasies and doesn't bug us to bring the children in; we don't do well child visits, nor do we do vaccines. 

Every year, we get a phone call from AmeriHealth Mercy - a courtesy call to 'check' that everything is up to date and to make sure everything is fine.  I quietly listen to their spiel then calmly and sweetly say, "Our children are VERY healthy!  They have everything they need!  Thank you!"

At this present time I don't feel there is any real issue with SI - as far as having CPC show up at your door.  I can't vouch for what will happen in the not to distant future; this is a decision that you and your DH will have to make.  We have been thankful for the SI in that we are WAY under the poverty level, as far as income, and by no means could we have afforded the births of our children without it - the first two were emergency c-section; the last scheduled. 

I would recommend choosing your pediatrician wisely as THEY may cause you a hassle, if you buck the system.  The SI seems to me to have too much else to do to cause a few non-vaccinating families much trouble...at least at this time.  :-\
My attempt at blogging:  The Carpenter's Wife

Offline kilikina

• Learning
« Reply #163 on: September 02, 2008, 09:53:42 AM »
Last time we got "insurance" it was an Access Card.  I don't remember having any other options.  At that time it wasn't a problem because we did what they told us to.  I guess I will look for a new Doctor too.  The one we have now is tolerant of our decisions, but he lets us know that he thinks we are wrong.  We don't have a family doctor, but from what I have read, it seems they are more willing to work with people.  I guess I will have to look around.  (Unfortunately, I don't know anyone else around here who doesn't vacc. so I don't have anybody to ask about doctors.... :-\)

Offline ~esposita~

• Master
    • Family Fotos
« Reply #164 on: September 02, 2008, 10:20:47 AM »
Last time we got "insurance" it was an Access Card

The first step is the Access card.  Then, you have to choose an insurance; at least that is what we had to do.

Where in PA are you?
My attempt at blogging:  The Carpenter's Wife

Offline kilikina

• Learning
« Reply #165 on: September 03, 2008, 10:11:42 AM »
Last time we got "insurance" it was an Access Card

The first step is the Access card.  Then, you have to choose an insurance; at least that is what we had to do.

Where in PA are you?

We are in Central PA outside of Altoona.  I wonder why we never got more than an Access Card.....  That is what we used at the doctor's office & hospital.  Does it depend on income?

My friend has CHIP for her kids and she gets letters reminding her when they are due for check ups.  I figured that is they get notices, etc. then the CAO would be up on that & vacc. stuff too.

Offline mama4God

• Learning
« Reply #166 on: September 03, 2008, 03:22:00 PM »
We have the Access Plus for our kiddos, yes, it does depend on income.  When you fill in their paperwork, they'll tell you what you qualify for.  We are in central PA, near Lewisburg.  You do NOT have to do well-checks OR vaccinate your child.  I asked specifically.  They cannot turn you down on that account.  Yes, Mr. Pediatrician will likely give you the "it's hard to see a baby die of whooping cough" story, at least he did me.  And, he is a Christian man, was MY Dr. when I was little!  All you do is sign a form.  It's the belittling that I personally don't like, but for me, I say it is our religious conviction and they are quiet about it.  They may "forget" and you may have to "remind" them of your stand at another visit.

I just registered my oldest to homeschool him, and I went ahead and got an exemption form notarized so I have a copy to bring next time.  So they don't "forget".   ::)

Don't sweat it.  People say find a nice pediatirician, but, as a Registered Nurse myself.....it is VERY hard to find one who won't give you a little talk about vaccinations. 

I also asked specifically about well checks, since one of the Pediatricians in the office once made a comment that "if I were to continue to be seen here, she needs to have her well checks".  Which I don't do.  I have 6 littles and don't want all the bugs, thank you!  So, the lady from the Dept. in Harrisburg said No, it is their job to remind us (they call you from time to time) to have well checks, but it is our choice to do them or not.

You can certainly ask if you talk to they on the phone.  They have always been very nice to me. 

Once they find out our babies are birthed at our midwife's house, they already think me rather odd, so don't pester me too much.  But once, when I left in tears after feeling like a bad mother to not vax, my hubby went on the next visit.  No problem then!   ;D

All the best!
Sheri
My hope is built on nothing less than JESUS' blood and righteousness!

Offline LKS

• Master
« Reply #167 on: September 03, 2008, 04:10:19 PM »
Husbands are the best! It isn't amazing how Dr's never say anything when you have your man w/ you????????

Offline kilikina

• Learning
« Reply #168 on: September 04, 2008, 10:03:16 AM »
I once had an incident with our pediatrician, when he told me about a little boy named "Johnny"  who died because years ago they didn't have a Hib vaccine to protect him....  I just smile and nod  :)  My husband is always with me, so that does help.

At what age/ grade will my son need a vaccination exemption (in Pennsylvania)?

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #169 on: September 24, 2008, 01:58:02 AM »
http://weblog.xanga.com/maria22000/674682433/refusal-of-recommended-vaccines.html

Quote from site...
Please note: This is NOT an exemption form. This document is designed to facilitate the discussion between you and those you choose to discuss your decision to refuse vaccines.

It even has footnotes on studies. Neat document.

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
« Reply #170 on: September 24, 2008, 02:18:04 AM »
Wow--looks like a lot of research went into putting that together! I'm impressed!

OK, now for the dumb question--under 'References'--what does "Ibid" mean? I've seen it before, still don't know what it means.

"No one stands as tall as a Christian on his knees."
Get $5 off your first iHerb.com order: Code ISA141

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #171 on: September 24, 2008, 06:46:25 AM »
Ibid (Latin, short for ibidem, "the same place") is the term used to provide an endnote or footnote citation or reference for a source that was cited in the preceding endnote or footnote. It is similar in meaning to idem (meaning something that has been mentioned previously; the same) abbreviated "Id.," which is commonly used in legal citation.[1]

To find the ibid. source, one has to look at the reference right before it, and so ibid. serves a similar purpose to ditto marks (〃 (U+3003), ", do.).

Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
« Reply #172 on: September 24, 2008, 09:46:46 AM »
Ibid (Latin, short for ibidem, "the same place") is the term used to provide an endnote or footnote citation or reference for a source that was cited in the preceding endnote or footnote. It is similar in meaning to idem (meaning something that has been mentioned previously; the same) abbreviated "Id.," which is commonly used in legal citation.[1]

To find the ibid. source, one has to look at the reference right before it, and so ibid. serves a similar purpose to ditto marks (〃 (U+3003), ", do.).

Thanks, WR. I suspected that, but wasn't entirely sure. Now I know. :)
"No one stands as tall as a Christian on his knees."
Get $5 off your first iHerb.com order: Code ISA141

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #173 on: November 11, 2008, 08:19:55 AM »
Here is a list of "vaccine-friendly" doctors (meaning they don't pressure you to vaccinate:

http://www.askdrsears.com/thevaccinebook/Vaccine_Friendly_Doctors.asp

It's from Dr. Sears at askdrsears.com - I've really liked what I've found when I've looked things up on his site. He gives you natural and home remedy advice as well as the standard medical advice and walks you through when and if your child might actually need to go to the doctor & take prescriptions.

Anyway, there aren't many doctors on here, but it also says if you know of one to ask them to join the list. 

Offline 1ofeach

• Adept
« Reply #174 on: January 09, 2009, 06:41:14 AM »
I'm going to post this on several threads, inlcuding internet sales and a few on vaccines. I hope that's ok, HB!

Tropical Traditions has Saying NO to Vaccines on sale, for 40% off, until Sunday 1/11/09.

Click here: Saying NO to Vaccines book and dvd combo $39 till 1/11/09

Just FYI!