Author Topic: vertigo  (Read 10548 times)

Offline titus2wam

• Adept
vertigo
« on: April 24, 2007, 03:13:00 AM »
I have looked and done a search but found nothing on this subject. I have spent a few hours researching this also and am getting very little info.
My SIL was told about a week ago that she was suffering from vertigo, what i am wondering is are there any natural helps for this problem?

TIA Jeri
Life with basething!! ahhhhhh! :>) don't ya wannna come along?

Offline momto4girls

• Adept
Re: vertigo
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 05:00:31 AM »
titus2wam

I have what is called BPPV.  It's an imbalance of the inner ear. I did the exercises.  Truth be told, I don't know if they did anything.  However, here is the link to a website which i found to be the best site on this condition

http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/disorders/bppv/bppv.html

This website has everything from symptoms to all the treatments available.  Including the exercises, which are the most natural treatment.  I hope this helps you get closer to an answer you are looking for.  God Bess. 

Offline FarmMama

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 05:07:27 PM »
Oh, I am so glad I found this post!!  This is definitely my area of expertise.  I am a physical therapist and have been further trained in treating folks with inner ear problems, otherwise called vertigo.  Yes there are exercises that can be done by there are specific exercises for certain conditions.  BPPV should not be treated with just exercises initially.  The exercised WILL NOT BE EFFECTIVE without first doing a repositioning maneuver.  You will likely just become more miserable.  Oh, I wish you were my next door neighbor, and I could just come and help you because you would feel better immediately!  Instead, you need to find a physical therapist that is trained in vestibular therapy.  Check this website to find someone near you: www.vestibular.org.  Please do not give up and do not hesitate to email me for more information.  I can give you much more!  This is something I'm so passionate about because dizziness can often be so treatable and so few doctors are aware of it.  They get a small lecture on vertigo in medical school and all they do is throw some exercises at you and put you on meds for dizziness that don't help your syjmptoms but mask them (if you're lucky) and often make you feel worse!  Hang in there!

Offline jhandrh

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 07:07:00 AM »
Is vertigo defined as a feeling of spinning, or the room spinning around you?  I get this feeling a few times a week, oftener if I'm tired.  It lasts anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours.  I am wondering if it is a serious problem.  My bp runs on the low side--systolic reading is usually under 110--and I often see "sparkles" in my vision when going from bending over to a standing position.  Sometimes instead of sparkles, things go black for an instant but I don't usually pass out.  This is just something I've lived with for years, doesn't really interrupt my life since I'm used to it.  I'm just careful to have something close by to hang onto when I stand up if I'm feeling like this.  I also have a hard time standing with my eyes closed--feel like I'm going to fall.  (like standing for prayer in church).  I assume it isn't life threatening since I've lived with it so long that I couldn't even tell you when it started.  But it has gotten worse since having my ds 4 months ago which is why I am posting.  I've never discussed it with a dr because the symptoms are so vague and I didn't feel like going through the battery of tests that I'm sure a complaint like this would unleash.  I have no personal history of neurological problems, but there is a family history of brain aneurysm.

Offline marksgirl

• Adept
    • My Life As I Know It
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 04:26:11 PM »
I also have a hard time standing with my eyes closed--feel like I'm going to fall.  (like standing for prayer in church).

I used to have this ALL THE TIME when I was younger!  I went to a Christian school, and I think from 5th or 6th grade for YEARS I would black out during prayer time (when standing) at school and church.  I was still aware of everything going on, but when prayer was over and I opened my eyes it would take maybe half a minute before my eyes would actually see something again.  It was very weird and I never told anyone.  I don't remember when it quit.  (I used to wonder if there was something spiritually wrong with me...perhaps that's why I never confided in anyone :-[)

I had vertigo once, and it was awful!  I couldn't walk unless someone supported me, b/c I was so dizzy that the room wasn't in it's normal position!  :P  I remember one night needing to get a drink of water from upstairs, and I had to crawl all the way, then once I stood up in the kitchen I promptly fell down and had to get up again.  I know I took some meds and it went away after maybe 2-3 days?  My mom and grandma have been afflicted several times with it, and I think they take meclizine.  Strange, but possible side effects of the drug are dizziness, drowsiness, and blurred vision!  Glad to see others here have more natural remedy suggestions!

Offline jhandrh

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 11:33:09 AM »
anyone know what causes vertigo? 

Offline his.silly.wife

• Master
  • Psalm 100:5
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 11:49:23 AM »
Like NoGreaterJoy?  Sign up on fellowshipdirectory.com to meet others like you.

Offline jhandrh

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 12:25:12 PM »
thanks!  I guess if I want a good answer of what causes mine, I would have to go get all those tests that I have been avoiding, huh?  :P  I am guessing that since my bp is low, probably mine may be caused by orthostatic hypotension???? Just a guess.  but would make sense since it happens when I change position.

Offline daisey

• Master
  • Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2008, 02:44:17 PM »
Have you ever tried cayenne tincture?   I have vertigo on occasion, also have low BP.  I take cayenne tincture when I feel light headed and that seems to give my BP a kick and I start feeling better.
Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side

Offline jhandrh

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2008, 03:43:33 PM »
Have you ever tried cayenne tincture?   I have vertigo on occasion, also have low BP.  I take cayenne tincture when I feel light headed and that seems to give my BP a kick and I start feeling better.

i never made a tincture--it looks complicated, and my hubby is okay w/ spending a few $$ on herbs but probably wouldn't be real happy with me starting to brew tinctures.  but i saw something about cayenne for low bp.  i may try that.

Offline daisey

• Master
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2008, 05:14:46 PM »

i never made a tincture--it looks complicated, and my hubby is okay w/ spending a few $$ on herbs but probably wouldn't be real happy with me starting to brew tinctures.  but i saw something about cayenne for low bp.  i may try that.

Tinctures LOOK complicated but really aren't.   ;)   Of course I wouldn't make any if DH objected but don't let them scare you because they really aren't hard and are way inexpensive. 

Offline mammaof5

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2011, 03:10:14 PM »
hi, I hope  I am posting in the right place. Can vertigo occur in children.  I have occasional dizzy mornings. It always happens in the morning and lasts for a few hours. My mom suffers with the same thing and this morning my son seemed to have exact same symptoms. He stands up straight and everything is fine but if he bends head up or down everything starts spinning. Not fun and i would appreciate any help.

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2011, 08:01:16 PM »

Offline daisey

• Master
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2011, 05:34:15 PM »
hi, I hope  I am posting in the right place. Can vertigo occur in children.  I have occasional dizzy mornings. It always happens in the morning and lasts for a few hours. My mom suffers with the same thing and this morning my son seemed to have exact same symptoms. He stands up straight and everything is fine but if he bends head up or down everything starts spinning. Not fun and i would appreciate any help.

I have this problem quite often..............it normally happens to me when I am overtired or when the barometric pressure is changing drastically.   It is really no fun!   Depending on the degree of dizziness there are days when I end up staying in bed most of the day.  :(      There must be something that would help but I don't know what it is.   For me it is sleep.