Author Topic: Kombucha: Water Sources  (Read 5359 times)

Offline morningglory

• Adept
Kombucha: Water Sources
« on: April 26, 2007, 05:25:04 AM »
So what kind of water CAN you use for kombucha ????  The Laurel Farms instructions said distilled water.  Wal-Mart has been out for the past two weeks, but they still have the spring water and filtered water.  Makes me wonder if I have fellow kombuchers in my town :D!  Even Kroger's was almost out of the distilled water, and I need to make tea tonight or tomorrow.  I'm only on my second batch, so I guess I'm still alittle overprotective of my babies.  They look so nice and healthy, I would hate to kill them.  Besides, I've already got 4 requests for SCOBYs :).

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 06:27:58 AM »
So what kind of water CAN you use for kombucha ????  The Laurel Farms instructions said distilled water.  Wal-Mart has been out for the past two weeks, but they still have the spring water and filtered water.  Makes me wonder if I have fellow kombuchers in my town :D!  Even Kroger's was almost out of the distilled water, and I need to make tea tonight or tomorrow.  I'm only on my second batch, so I guess I'm still alittle overprotective of my babies.  They look so nice and healthy, I would hate to kill them.  Besides, I've already got 4 requests for SCOBYs :).

i think the main thing is not to have any chlorine in it.  my mom used to make distilled water by leaving reg. water out for 24 hours uncovered.
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 06:45:10 AM »
We always use our good country well water and have very healthy scobys and great kombucha. :-\ :)

Offline amazonmama2five

• Adept
    • Amazonmamasadventures
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 07:27:17 AM »
I second the well water.  I believe boiling for 5 minutes purifies the water sufficiently.  We have never had any problems with bad Bucha or mold on the SCOBY.  We just use our well water.
Lisa
He is no fool that gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.~Jim Elliot
My Intro
Visit our site!

Offline morningglory

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 08:25:16 AM »
We have city water, unfortunately.  I might try a batch with just bolied tap water, but I have no idea what kinds of junk are in our water besides chlorine :(.  I don't know if boiling would get rid of other chemicals that are harmful to the kombucha ???.  If it does, I'm going to start boiling all of our drinking water too.  Anybody know if boiled city water is okay for kombucha-ing?  And how long would I boil it if it is?

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 08:56:16 AM »
The spring water from the grocery store is fine.
WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline violet7

• Adept
Re: Kombucha: Water Sources
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2007, 10:52:53 AM »
Would it be okay to also use the water from the Berkley light? I am sick of buying gallons of water and want to get one of these. But I am wondering also if it can be use for Kombucha. We have city water and I don't like it, yuck! I also don't want to kill my first scoby.
The more I learn the more I realize how little I really know.
All natural and Organic product specially designed for women.
www.gotk.net

Nickole

Re: Kombucha: Water Sources
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2007, 10:55:03 AM »
Would it be okay to also use the water from the Berkley light? I am sick of buying gallons of water and want to get one of these. But I am wondering also if it can be use for Kombucha. We have city water and I don't like it, yuck! I also don't want to kill my first scoby.

We use our water from our Berkey system.  That's some GOOD water!   ;D