Author Topic: Sour Milk- Recipes, anyone?  (Read 13201 times)

Offline sister2thirteen

• Learning
Sour Milk- Recipes, anyone?
« on: May 02, 2007, 05:07:06 AM »
We have over a gallon of cow milk (the real, non-homogenized stuff, straight from the cow :)) that went sour... it's not thick yet, just turned. Anyone have any recipes or anything we can use it with? I'd really hate to throw it away...

Offline Farm Wife

• Adept
  • 24 years (still newlyweds) with 2 beautiful boys
Re: Sour Milk- Recipes, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 05:12:44 AM »
How old was the milk? Our raw fresh cow's milk keeps almost 2 weeks in fridge.

SOUR MILK PANCAKES   

1 egg
1 c. sour milk or buttermilk
1 tbsp. salad oil
1 tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. flour

Put all ingredients into a blender container. Cover and process at mix until well blended. Bake on a lightly greased griddle until nicely browned. Yield: 16 (3") pancakes.

1 qt. flour
1 tbsp. salt
1 tsp. soda
1 pt. sour milk
Lard

Sift flour with salt and soda. Shorten with lard, size of a "banty" egg. Add milk.

Ephesian 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith: and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God, Not of works lest any man should boast. :)

Offline sweetestday

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 05:20:33 AM »
I've frozen mine in 1 or 2 cup containers so I can use it when needed. That way I don't feel a need to hurry, but can use it as the need comes up.

Offline purewellspring

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 10:46:54 AM »
I splurged and bought fresh raw cow's milk just under a week ago, just to try it out (we won't be buying it so long as we live here, because prices start at $10/gal)...and it's already sour. At least, sour enough that my hubby, die-hard milk drinker that he is, doesn't want to drink it. From my reading, I thought that raw milk sours, but doesn't go rancid, so it's not actually bad. What can I do with it? Is this the sort of thing I could make yoghurt from? Is it bad?

YoopreMama

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007, 11:30:08 AM »
Bump!  ;D

I make pancakes w/ sour milk already...any other uses?  I'll freeze it, but would rather not...it's starting to separate, and I keep adding "fresher" sour milk to it...any tips?  I don't use whey so much or the curds...I welcome any tips!

I've tried making yogurt w/ it and didn't care for it...I have a question on the kefir thread lingering about using it for kefir...

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2007, 12:15:59 PM »
You might try using it instead of buttermilk for biscuits.  Jump on over to the cheese making thread and make some spiced, soft cheese by heating it and adding a little acv.  We like using sour milk to make potato soup. 
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline brightspot

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2007, 04:17:02 PM »
My kids get excited when we get sour milk! They know that pancakes are first on the list, then biscuits, then any baked item that calls for milk! Muffins, waffles, the topping of chicken pot pie, banana cake, etc. I just bake it all up. Makes nice fluffy goodies.

YoopreMama

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2007, 05:02:18 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions!  I'm making up extra pancakes to freeze tomorrow.  We're GF, so I'm still working on bakery and the like, but will remember for when I get better at muffins, breads, biscuits...

Is there a point when I can't use it anymore in these suggestions?  Like when it's separated?

YoopreMama

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 02:58:37 PM »
Been using sour milk in potato soup and biscuits--YUM!

Do you think it'd be fine in puddings?

Offline naturalgirl

• Adept
  • one insignificant particle, combined
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 04:26:35 PM »
Been using sour milk in potato soup and biscuits--YUM!

Do you think it'd be fine in puddings?

I'd think it might be a bit too strong tasting for that. However, it goes great in slow cooking grains because of the whey content. What about cooking some of it into your vegtables? Trying it in your next batch of bread might taste good too...just some ideas off the top of my head :)

Later:

For the adventurous, what about homemade sour cream?

http://homecooking.about.com/od/dairyrecipe1/r/bldairy12.htm

http://www.jewish-food.org/recipes/sourcrem.htm
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 04:41:25 PM by naturalgirl »

Offline JeffAngie

• Adept
    • Our Joyful Living
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 01:50:51 PM »
Anyone have any more  greatrecipies for using sour milk?