Author Topic: Sinus Infections: Causes & Cures  (Read 91258 times)

Offline TruthSeeker

• Adept
Sinus Infections: Causes & Cures
« on: May 26, 2006, 06:35:02 PM »
My 10 mo old has been teething.  He isn't sleeping well at night (awake every hour or so), wants to nurse ALL NIGHT LONG, ran a fever yesterday but today nothing, has been running clear runny nose for 2 days but this morning in the shower lots of green came out.  Today his nose is still running but not bad and lots of booggies but not really green.  Is that descriptive enough? :-[  Anyway, hubby wanted me to take him in to get his ears checked in case of infection.  Ears are fine, but FNP said sinus infection.  He didn't even look in his nose.  He immediately wanted to give him an antibiotic.  I told him to write me the RX but that I would try to take care of it naturally first.  He's never been on antibiotics and I don't want to give it to him if I don't have to.  I've read lots of great ideas for sinus infections for adults, just wondering if anybody has any ideas for babies?  I rubbed Oil of Catchaput on his feet tonight, squirted saline up his nose, and am running a cool mist vaporizer in our room.  I would sure appreciate any advice.

Offline nursegirl

• Adept
Re: Sinus Infections: Causes & Cures
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 07:19:09 PM »
I would be encouraged that his "drainage" is not so green now.  In my experience, once you get rid of the nasty green stuff, and the drainage is more clear, you're starting to get over the illness.  The things you're already doing are great.  I think I would also look into some immune-boosting herbs, like garlic or echinacea (not sure if babies can have echinacea).  Vick's also makes a baby vaporub that you might try to help with the congestion. 

A lot of these types of things are viral, not bacterial, so antibiotics won't help.  Frankly, the only way to tell for sure what kind of organism is causing the infection is to do a culture (which you would never do for such a minor illness).  A lot of doctors want to just throw an antibiotic at everything and see if it works.  All that to say, I'm a nurse, and I would also avoid the antibiotics until I was sure it wasn't going to get better on its own. 

Sounds like you're a great mommy!

Sarah

Offline bakermom

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2006, 01:12:51 AM »
I had this happen too.  The dr told me they don't call it a sinus infection until it has been going on for 10 days.  It was very green with no relief in sight no matter what I did to help it so we gave her the antibiotic and she cleared right up so it must have been what it was.  I would wait  10 or more days of using you natural cures. 
Try liquid vit c. A quarter ts would probably help your baby.

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2006, 02:34:10 AM »
the garlic poultice idea works great!  also, when mine had signs of infection i gave him garlic oil in his ear just in case it was his ears.  i think it would probably kick a sinus inf. when put in the ears too.  info. here:  http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,570.0.html

another great idea:  http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,61.msg1004.html#msg1004

« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 06:06:16 AM by healthybratt »
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline KatieMac

• Master
  • Alice Magdalene
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 08:49:31 PM »
I had a cold that I didn't treat aggressively enough I guess and I think it's become a sinus infection. My sinus passages are very swollen and feel full of goo. Earlier today I was getting alot of green stuff but now it doesn't seem so much. I took more garlic and I'm going to do more tomorrow and I've been massaging my sinuses. The bad thing is that I am going out of town so I probably can't do as much garlic as I'd like. Does anyone have experience with treating a sinus infection naturally? Is it different from treating a cold?

Offline amazonmama2five

• Adept
    • Amazonmamasadventures
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 08:53:24 PM »
Go and read the "Sharing remedies" section on the bulkherbstore.com  There are several articles and different recipes.  We used one for a cough and it really worked.
I hope you feel better soon.
Lisa
He is no fool that gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.~Jim Elliot
My Intro
Visit our site!

Offline KatieMac

• Master
  • Alice Magdalene
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2006, 04:00:34 AM »
Thank you! I have all those items in my house so I guess I'll try it now. That garlic is rough on my gut but it's better than being sick on my trip. I think I'll just take everything with me and be the oddball...better than being sick!

Offline KatieMac

• Master
  • Alice Magdalene
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2006, 05:00:00 AM »
Hey, that garlic tea was not nearly as yucky or as hard on my stomach as the garlic/honey remedy!

Here it is according to the Bulk Herb Store

1 tsp garlic (I just used one whole clove) steeped in 6 oz hot water for 10 minutes

1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar

honey to taste

I think I might add ginger next time. When I held my nose and drank this it didn't taste half bad. I didn't drink all the garlic solids though...I probably should...

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2006, 05:47:17 AM »
Kate-
  Kill it fast with Collodial silver...i suffered for a week with one not doing anything with it and then it was finally down to full blown infection...blood, fever, chills, pain...OH the PAIN!  and dizzyness...squirted silver up there and went to bed. Felt things clearing up right away...few more squirts and it was gone. I know it's expensive BUT i use it and it works for lotsa stuff.

Offline still*learning

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2006, 08:10:31 AM »
Steph Tallent recommend XClear nasal wash on here for sinus infections and I have used it for a sinus infections and when my allergies get bad. It works great! I got it at my health food store and would be easy for you to use while traveling.

Hope you feel better soon and have a great trip!

Offline still*learning

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2006, 03:57:41 AM »
I didn't know where else to post this but since Sunday I have felt like I am coming down with a sinus infection. I had been using the XClear but still did not see any improvement. I was started to get some colored snot was well (sorry I didn't know any other way to put that). I have never done the garlic with the honey because I was breastfeeding and garlic bothered my son. I am no longer breastfeeding (he is a year old now) so I thought it was time for me to try it.

I did it yesterday and it really was a very unplesant experience! I had a burning sensation that started in my chest and ran up my arms to my shoulders. I ate a piece of celery as soon as I could pull myself up from being hunched over. WOW was that harsh! I BUT I can't rave enough about the results. Within 30 minutes my nose had stopped running and the tenderness in my face went away.

I took another dose before I went to bed and it was much easier to take this time. I also had a piece of bread ready to eat after I took it and I think that helped!

How are you doing KatieMac?

Offline farmmom

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2006, 11:02:17 AM »
Steph Tallent recommend XClear nasal wash on here for sinus infections and I have used it for a sinus infections and when my allergies get bad. It works great! I got it at my health food store and would be easy for you to use while traveling.

Hope you feel better soon and have a great trip!

Just thought I would let everyone know, I went to the health food store today, and just happened to ask about the Xclear in case we need it soon, and the lady said " oh yeah, we have some samples " so you might ask next time you go in, just to give it a try before you buy.
' When through firey trials thy pathway shall lie My Grace all sufficient shall be thy supply the flame shall not hurt thee I only design thy dross to consume and thy gold to refine.'

Offline quiverfilling

• Learning
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2006, 05:42:24 AM »
my doctor wants to see me at 1:00 today!  I REALLY don't want to go, but I am in so much pain right now...have been for a week that I don't know what else to do.  I have been battling candida for 3 months now and I just know that he will want to prescribe an antibiotic and it will reverse ANY good I may have done over the course of the last 3 months with my diet and probiotic use (I haven't done anything extreme, i.e. Yeast Assassin b/c I am still nursing).  I DON'T know what to do.  I am and have been continuing to take my multi, garlic, probiotics, echinachea daily, but it doesn't seem to be helping...in fact, I am feeling worse.  Of course, now I'm blaming myself because I've had a few "weak moments" as far as my diet is concerned and am convinced that it's probably related.  What should I do?  What would you do?  I CAN'T go on like this for much longer...I can't sleep or function well. 

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2006, 06:21:24 AM »
my doctor wants to see me at 1:00 today!  I REALLY don't want to go, but I am in so much pain right now...have been for a week that I don't know what else to do.  I have been battling candida for 3 months now and I just know that he will want to prescribe an antibiotic and it will reverse ANY good I may have done over the course of the last 3 months with my diet and probiotic use (I haven't done anything extreme, i.e. Yeast Assassin b/c I am still nursing).  I DON'T know what to do.  I am and have been continuing to take my multi, garlic, probiotics, echinachea daily, but it doesn't seem to be helping...in fact, I am feeling worse.  Of course, now I'm blaming myself because I've had a few "weak moments" as far as my diet is concerned and am convinced that it's probably related.  What should I do?  What would you do?  I CAN'T go on like this for much longer...I can't sleep or function well. 

In most cases sinus infections are not bacterial and cannot be helped with antibiotics anyway.  If he wants to give you antibiotics, then I would make sure he does a culture first to prove that you have a bacterial infection.  Personally, if he couldn't prove this to me, I wouldn't take the pills.  If you are desparate and nothing natural is helping, I've had good luck in the past with Flonase.  It's a steroid and I'm sure there are some negative things about these as well - not sure how it would affect fighting candida, but I do know that it opened up my airways which is necessary for the body to start passing mucus and healing itself.  Avoid antihistamines as they will cause blockages in the sinus cavities.  They will dry the mucous and plug the airways.  Then more wet mucous will develop behind this blockage and create a pool for the bacteria and viruses to breed in making you even sicker than you were to start with.

The only medications I ever take for colds are Dextromathropin (for coughs), Guafinisen (expectorant - makes mucous thin and easy to expell), PseudoEphidrine (opens airways, bronchial and sinus dilator) --these all come in syrups and pills by Robitussin and Equate - the regular Robistussin is Guafinisen only, the DM is Guafinisin and Dextromathorpin together, and the CF has all three.  For psuedoephidrine only, I usually get Triaminic or store brand and/or Dimetapp/store brand--or the little red sinus pills.

and Flonase --needs prescription and is usually prescribed for allergies-- (last resort steroid to open nasal passages - takes 3 days of consistant use to work, but after that, your head will open and the mucous will begin to expell).  This regimin has gotten me through many a sinus infection.  Then once I started getting my body in better shape, I got less and less of these infections and upping my Vit C and eating a couple cloves of fresh garlic will usually head one off at the first sign of a tickle.

If you want to try something natural to open your nose, I would stand over some raw onions for an hour.  I cut onions for 2 hours with my last infection and it opened my head up like you wouldn't believe, but if this and garlic and herbs and oils don't fix you up, I'd try the other meds I suggested.

If any others have any reasons why those other meds might be harmful or negate candida cleansing that I'm not aware of, please speak up.  I'm sure she'd like to know and I'd be interested as well.

~hb
« Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 06:26:20 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline quiverfilling

• Learning
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2006, 06:29:19 AM »
Thank you for replying...I will definitely ask him to verify the nature of the infection (if there is one) before taking anything.  Do you happen to know what the conterindications are for using a steroid such as flonase while nursing?  Just wondering...I'll probably be going to Walmart later, so I'll check into the other OTC remedies while there, too.  THANKS.

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2006, 06:33:51 AM »
Can you drink some hot juice?  I think this forum calls it "tonic".  It is the AC vinegar that has been infused with garlic, ginger, white onions, habaneros, and horseradish.  The best thing to do (in my opinion) is to eat lots of peppers, salsa, anything that will get the old sinuses moving.  Blow your nose like crazy, and drink TONS of water.  I've chased off the last few sinus infections I've seen by doing this.  And HB is right, don't get those antibiotics for no reason!!  My $.02!
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2006, 06:46:58 AM »
Thank you for replying...I will definitely ask him to verify the nature of the infection (if there is one) before taking anything.  Do you happen to know what the conterindications are for using a steroid such as flonase while nursing?  Just wondering...I'll probably be going to Walmart later, so I'll check into the other OTC remedies while there, too.  THANKS.

WAIT!!! Before you go on a steriod, I just heard of a fantastic new product from Nature's Sunshine. It's a Nasal Spray that contains Xylitol, which is supposed to inhibit bacteria from multiplying. I've ordered one and it should be here tomorrow. My oldest son tends to get a lot of stuffed up noses and plain ol' congestion. I've been using GOOT on his chest at night along with rubbing GOOT on the bottoms of his feet--with marked improvement! However, we just can't seem to kick that stuffy nose.

This new nasal spray was used by an MD (alternative doc) for an asthma attack--and he was surprised that it stopped the attack dead in its tracks! Of course, NS cannot make this claim, but that information is very interesting to me.....

Hope you can find some relief,
Mama Sita

Also--comfrey tea is very good for sinus infections.
"No one stands as tall as a Christian on his knees."
Get $5 off your first iHerb.com order: Code ISA141

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2006, 07:22:15 AM »
When hubby gets a sinus infection/trouble I give him 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, 1 tsp. honey mixed with an ounce or so of water(we use those medicine measuring caps).  Down the hatch it goes.  It is spicy, but he says it is the only thing that drains him immediately.  Yes, he has to do it a few times a day, but it beats a doctors visit.

Offline Amey

• Adept
    • Amey's Blog
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2006, 08:57:45 AM »
Has anyone here tried hydrogen peroxide in the ear? I read that you could put a few drops in one of your ears, lay on your opposite side and let the peroxide sit for about 10 minutes, then let it drain out. Then do the other ear. I have tried it before and sometimes it works great, and other times maybe it worked a little maybe it didn't. But there are times when it clears up my nasal congestion FAST. Not sure why. It doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense to me, but just thought I'd mention it in case it would help you or anyone else.  :)  Raw garlic is helpful for me too!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2006, 02:16:29 PM »
Has anyone here tried hydrogen peroxide in the ear? I read that you could put a few drops in one of your ears, lay on your opposite side and let the peroxide sit for about 10 minutes, then let it drain out. Then do the other ear. I have tried it before and sometimes it works great, and other times maybe it worked a little maybe it didn't. But there are times when it clears up my nasal congestion FAST. Not sure why. It doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense to me, but just thought I'd mention it in case it would help you or anyone else.  :)  Raw garlic is helpful for me too!
I tried this once for a sore throat and it worked.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline amazonmama2five

• Adept
    • Amazonmamasadventures
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2006, 03:25:12 PM »
On the bulkherbstore.com site they have that "sharing remedies" column.  Well I found a sinus tonic by Sherry somebody, and it helped a lot.  It made my fever go higher at first.  But, I am convinced that it needed to, to fight the infection.  Anyway, today I am feeling MUCH better than I was yesterday thanks to the tonic.

PS---I took the tonic before lunch and the fever went away by bedtime.
He is no fool that gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.~Jim Elliot
My Intro
Visit our site!

Offline Gabe Rising

• Administrator
  • Master
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2006, 06:08:06 AM »
Try getting a little bottle of Eucalyptus essential oil in a health food store... Get a wash cloth and soak it with hot or warm water, squeeze out the excess, and fold twice. Put about 10 to 20 drops of Eucalyptus oil on one side and fold that "side" to the middle... if that makes sense (this keeps you from direct contact with the essential oil which could cause mild burns).

Carry this around all morning breathing it often. It doesn't have to stay hot or even warm... in a pinch you can just put the drops in a dry napkin and inhale it often. When I get sinus/lung/throat stuff I sleep with a wet wash cloth loosely placed over my mouth/nose.

It is the thing of miracles and the one ounce bottle will last FOREVER.

Also, when the kids are "coldy" you can put ten to 20 drops in the bath water (full bath... use much less for a baby sink-type bath) and stir well before they get in*... then you can also add about 10 drops to a 1/4 cup of olive oil and just before bed dip your finger in the Eucalyptus/Olive oil and put a little on their chest, under their chin, and then sort of "pinch" their nose to put a little dab there too... works better than Vicks... and Tom's of Maine ;)

--gabe

*Be careful which essential oils you add to a bath. Cinnamon for instance will not mix well with the water, and will form a film on top of the water. When you or your child gets in, it will coat the body and cause minor burns. I am not sure which oils will do this and which won't, but Eucalyptus is fine in the quantities I mentioned.

If you ever do have essential oil burns for any reason, the high quality baby wipes are real life savers... the ones that are sort of "thick." They are very effective at absorbing the oil off the skin.

Always keep essential oils in a locked cabinet out of reach of children.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 06:20:20 AM by Gabriel Anast »

Offline Gabe Rising

• Administrator
  • Master
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2006, 06:13:06 AM »
Oh, and Hydrogen Peroxide in the ear... also a good idea. Another great concoction is 50% white vinegar / 50% rubbing alcohol. Use a dropper to fill one ear, wait 30 seconds and turn your head over to let that ear drain and fill the other.

This is a little more harsh than H2O2 and might not be well tolerated by kids under 5.

I used to SCUBA dive daily for a year or so, and I always had a dropper bottle of vinegar/alcohol in my dive bag. I used it after every dive to prevent ear infections... It works really well!

Disclaimer: somehow the alcohol affects the "ear balance loops" and you can be quite dizzy for about 5 minutes after you do this little procedure ;)

Oh, and do a search for "Garlic Oil" on this forum... its another thing that can go into the ear and is very effective... great for very small children.

--gabe

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2006, 06:48:50 AM »
I've done the Eucalyptus baths with my kids and me and have had no problems and I wasn't even all that careful with the measurements.  Just tipped the bottle a bit - probably around a tsp or so for the bath.  The steamier the bathroom the better.   ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline bendeleboysmama

• Adept
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2006, 08:57:53 AM »
I think this might be a little late if you are already headed to your doctor...But my $.02 comes from advice from my midwife.  I had a painful sinus infection and had tried nearly everything.  Nothing helped and since I was pregnant, I didn't want to take anything.  My midwife said to get 2 bowls.  1 filled with as hot of water as you could stand, and the other filled with as cold of water as you could stand.  Hold your breath and dip entire face into the hot bowl.  Do this for about 2 minutes...coming up for air as needed.  Then, put your face into the cold bowl.  If you can't stick your entire face in(I tried and gasped...it's just harder to hold your breath in cold freezing cold water)  put one side in at a time...alternating this also for 2 minutes.  I did this about every 15 minutes for 2 hours and immediately felt relief.  Everything broke up and I could actually feel my sinus' "cracking"?  Anyways, continued for the rest of the day and could breathe very well by night-time(I started at 2:00 p.m.)  I completely swear by it and haven't had that bad of a sinus infection since.  The midwife said the hot water gets everything flowing and then the cold water shrinks the vessels?(I'm no doctor) so you can blow everything out or swallow it.  Like I said, that's my $.02...good luck!

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2006, 09:33:58 AM »
I do hot compresses (as hot as you can stand, wet rags over the nose, eyes, eyebrows, cheeks & forehead) for myself and those if my family that will go for crazy things I suggest.  It loosens up all that crud - just like you said above here.  For me, the pain is from all the PRESSURE and, when the pressure is gone, I can function without any meds.  Best thing for me - I don't have to leave the house to get the things I need to do this.

My experience-
Sarah K
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline 6littlelambs

• Learning
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2006, 11:17:01 AM »
This sounds gross but it really works!  Get a bowl of warm water. Put a tsp. of salt in it. Holding one nostril closed, cup water in hand and snort it up the open nostril. Blow nose. Keep repeating until you can taste salt water trickling down your throat. Repeat on other side. This DOES NOT burn and sting like when you get pool water up your nose. It doesn't hurt at all. The salt is an antiseptic and soothing. You will probably have to do this several times. Also when done with nose then gargle some salt water to keep infection from going down throat. My mother who is very afraid of water, can't swim, hates water in her face, tried this and found it works and doesn't hurt. :)

Renee-www.homeschoolblogger.com/6littlelambs/

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2006, 04:09:09 PM »
The hot cold water thing sounds like it just might work.  I've used ice packs (forgot) in the past when my sinus was so clogged it made my teeth hurt and it gave me some relief.  I didn't try alternating with heat, but I will next time for sure.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Pastorswife2B

• Adept
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2006, 06:31:05 PM »
I'm new to this site but a second generation natural med buff  ;D and the best thing I have ever experienced for sinus infections is Garlic Oil tablets that you chew and let absorb into the roof of your mouth.  In my experience it works faster than antibiotics although it is a somewhat anti-social remedy considering the odor produced  :-\.  My mom was told to do this by her chiropractor and he gave her Rockland brand soft gels as being mild enough to chew without burns etc.  I hope this is helpful!

Offline floydian

• Master
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2006, 05:18:37 AM »
You can also snort so much salt all at once that it cleans out your entire nose, sinuses, brain, and hair roots all at once.   Quite painful.  I thought my brain was on fire, but it worked.  :P :'( ;)

I would recommend doing this the way 6littlelambs suggested rather than the way I did it. ::)
And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mine—
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.