Author Topic: Why and How to Skip the Soap...  (Read 55674 times)

Offline joychild24seven

• Adept
    • Cloth Alternatives for Women
Why and How to Skip the Soap...
« on: May 21, 2007, 04:56:50 PM »
Some of you know this, but I don't use soap to bathe. ;D I do use it to wash my hands (I work at a medical clinic), my dishes (to get rid of grease) and minimally (1/4 of the suggested amount) to wash my clothes.

I stopped using shampoo long before I gave up soap. The no poo thread changed my life!!! I still use a diluted soloution of baking soda and water to cleanse my scalp, and a diluted soloution of ACV and water to rinse and restore ph balance.

I stopped using soap shortly after I started using "natural" deoderant (aluminum and antipersperent free). I would scrub and scrub my pits with soap and after showering would spray on my deoderant and within a few hours I would STINK!!! But then a helpful wellteller commented that she stopped using soap and her natural deoderant worked better. Willing to try anything I followed suit, and within days I was stink free.

This started me on a long journey of soapless bathing. I stopped using any soap "down there" because it seemed to be upsetting my ph balance. Once again, with regular just water bathing I felt even cleaner and fresher than back in the soap days.

Eventually I was only using soap on my feet and my eyelashes. I bought a nice pumice stone and gently scrub my feet with water every day. Once again, less odor issues, and generally feel cleaner.

Then I bought a mascara that washes off with just water and now I hardly ever (maybe once a month) use soap at all.

So here is my theory:

Our bodies were created to function without soap. Slathering on a soloution that changes ph balances, potentially removes helpful bacteria, and covers our highly absorbent skin with chemicals, seems a little unnecessary.

Obviously we need soaps to help cut grease (and if you're an auto mechanic I'd plan on using it regularly) but the theory that we need it to remove the sources of body odor may be incorrect.

There are several cleansing alternatives for personal bathing.

A bath with a tablespoon of unrefined (or even better dead sea) salts will cleanse the body and soften the skin.

A diluted soloution of ACV and warm water will cleanse, freshen, and restore an acidic balance to the skin. It also can potentially provide some odor and anti fungal protection.

Certain high mineral clays can be used for cleansing hair and skin and drawing out impurities.

A dilluted soloution of baking soda in warm water can be used to clean hair without stripping natural oils. Baking soda can also be used to gently exfolliate when needed.

A diluted soloution of boric acid (borax) and water can also be used to gently cleanse the hair.

Just water and a sponge or rag, should work most of the time. I usually splash the last little bit of my ACV rinse from my hair on my pits, privates, and feet before rinsing off for the last time. If I have really dry skin I do a full body ACV rinse before toweling off.

I genrally don't use lotions, just a few drops of sweet almond oil on my still damp skin to retain moisture on dry days in forced air.

and thats why and how I skip the soap...  ;D ;D ;D

Every Day You Save My Life

Offline mishy

• Master
Re: Why and How to Skip the Soap...
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 05:10:13 PM »
Great post!  Thanks for listing the details and options!

Offline hsink

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 06:18:21 PM »
I am so glad to read this.  I rarely use soap in the shower anymore.  At the end of my shower I rinse with vinegar/water after I turn the shower off.  I have had very similar results  ;D  Good to hear.

Offline sarahmontgomery

• Adept
  • Isaiah 12:2
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 12:42:14 AM »
Whats ACV?????? Sorry, I am new to this. Do you spray it on?  Do you spray the vinegar solution on also?
Home, home on the range, where the deer and the cantaloupe play..... according to my 4 year old

Offline mishy

• Master
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 12:56:16 AM »
ACV=apple cider vinegar. 

Has anyone tried kombucha??  It is mucho cheaper than ACV.  ??

YoopreMama

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 02:12:12 AM »
Bump! for people with skin troubles... ;)

Thank you for sharing this, joychild24seven !   :-*

And the kombucha idea...hmm...

I had just moved a bottle of ACV to the bathroom w/ some BS after someone mentioned baths w/ it for skin troubles.  I would love not to buy soap!   ;D

Offline Kansas Girl

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 03:40:03 AM »
I have also stopped using soap when I bathe.  I smell much fresher than I did before.  I still use soap on my hair once a week because the baking soda idea caused my hair to fall out ???  I know it goes against intuition, but it really has been nice to not smell yucky.  -KG
having a baby" border="0

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2007, 07:42:34 AM »
I have stopped using soap, too.  Also using half the recommended amount of my homemade laundry soap.  Washing dishes and hands is about the only time soap is used around here, unless dh and ds have been doing something dirty in the garage or yard.   :D

One of the wonderful side effects of the no-soap and no-poo life was finding that the tub and shower no longer need to have a thorough scrubbing.  We are happy to spray with diluted acv and wipe clean with a cloth now. 
I love being able to clean house so much easier.  I love being mostly stink-free.  I love my girls having such clean and shiny hair and few zits.   
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline Sunshine06

• Psalm 115
  • Adept
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2007, 08:13:03 AM »
Does anyone know of any resources that I could show hubby to support this view? He's a soap fanatic and thinks it's weird if I don't use a ton of soap to wash "down there" (I know it upsets the pH balance) or use it on my face all the time (makes it just feel dried out). So...anything that could convince him we're not all nuts? (I mean about this topic...otherwise we could be here a while :P)
Non nobis, non nobis, Domine, sed nomini tuo da gloriam.
Not unto us, O Lord, not unto us, but unto Thy name give glory.

YoopreMama

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2007, 08:18:51 AM »
I have stopped using soap, too.  Also using half the recommended amount of my One of the wonderful side effects of the no-soap and no-poo life was finding that the tub and shower no longer need to have a thorough scrubbing.  We are happy to spray with diluted acv and wipe clean with a cloth now.  I love being able to clean house so much easier.  I love being mostly stink-free.  I love my girls having such clean and shiny hair and few zits.   
I'd love a cleaner tub!!!  My olive oil soap is so scummy in the tub.  :(

I just wiped my eczema w/ warm water and ACV and it really seems to have softened it and stopped some of the itching. :D

We keep reading in our colonial history books about how rare it was to clean w/ soap.  As we learned how shampoo was stripping natural oils, I suspect we'll learn similar things w/ soap...

I bet the starter of this thread has some research.   ;) 

Offline joychild24seven

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2007, 05:17:49 PM »
I bet the starter of this thread has some research.   ;) 

Actually, I don't have any "official" research other than my own experiments and experience.  :o As far as I've figured out it's pretty much a pro-soap world out there... ;D

I will be searching for more information though... I'm sure there's someone out there who's laid it all out for us in a scientific manner.

YoopreMama

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2007, 12:53:21 AM »
I'm sure SOMEONE on WTM will come up w/ scientific evidence for
ditching the soap!   :D  Experience is great, but I know my man likes data.   :D

I skipped the ritual bedtime bath in lieu of the ACV rinse (diluted in a bowl and wiped on w/ washcloth).  I had done that on itchy spots during the day and I must say my skin is notably improved.   :)

Offline sarahmontgomery

• Adept
  • Isaiah 12:2
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2007, 01:34:37 AM »
OK, I want to try this with kombucha instead of ACV.  Someone tell me how much I should dilute it please. And I keep my kombucha in the fridge, so do you put it in a PLASTIC spray bottle? I read you should never put it in plastic because it starts detoxing it.  Should I just keep a jar by my tub? I also have a very hard time with odor and cant find a deodorant that will keep me from stinking!  And believe me, I have been taking chlorophyll for 5 years+. 

And what about your children? Do they also do this?
Home, home on the range, where the deer and the cantaloupe play..... according to my 4 year old

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2007, 06:45:55 AM »
I was thinking about this thread as I was using soap in the shower today.   ;D  What do you use to shave?
"...plain Kate, and bonny Kate, and sometimes Kate the curst..."

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2007, 07:12:28 AM »
This is just a question... BUT.....

I'm seeing a theme that it take a fews days to get rid of the stink, after not using soap.
How do you all know it's just not getting used to the smell vs. not stinking anymore?

;D

Offline twitterpated4hubby

• Adept
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2007, 07:23:45 AM »
Should i wash the ACV off of my hair and body, or leave it on? Im always confused about that. I have tried the no poo but it doesn't work for me. My hair is all itchy and stinky. Would Burts bees shampoo or shampoo bar be ok to use?
http://keepyourcloveson.blogspot.com/2008_10_01_archive.html

"...I found the one my heart loves. I held him and would not let him go..." -Song of Songs 3:4

Offline Helpmeetmom

• Adept
    • Avon organics
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2007, 07:36:21 AM »
Should i wash the ACV off of my hair and body, or leave it on? Im always confused about that. I have tried the no poo but it doesn't work for me. My hair is all itchy and stinky. Would Burts bees shampoo or shampoo bar be ok to use?
     That's what I'm afraid of too.  I have super oily hair, and if I don't use shampoo  (haven't tried baking soda yet) I almost always have immediate oily hair.  I know that almost all shampoos are horrible for our hair.  My dad educated us about the ingredients in it when I was very young, and I've never forgotten.  Also, I know this is funny, but on an episode of CSI (hubby loves that show--I'm okay with it when I'm not eating)  they found out at the end that someone killed a girl by putting something toxic in her shampoo.  A CSI explained that our body absorbs chemicals the most when taking a shower (of course) but they said our head is what absorbs the most.  I don't know how 100% accurate that is, but it makes total sense to me, and they usually do their research on that type of thing. 
     I thought the question asked earlier about if you really don't stink anymore, or are you just used to it more was good.  I've also heard that not using soap but ACV is good.  I read it in the Braggs ACV book, but it said it helps our sking be acidic.  ARen't we supposed to try not to be acidic because cancer thrives in an acidic body?  Help, I don't like soap either!
So grateful for all the Lord has done for me and my family.  God is so good!

Offline hsink

• Adept
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2007, 07:38:21 AM »
I was thinking about this thread as I was using soap in the shower today.   ;D  What do you use to shave?

I have wondered what other people do also...I just use hot water and haven't ever had a problem. my $.02

Offline Helpmeetmom

• Adept
    • Avon organics
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2007, 07:38:29 AM »
Oh, I also forgot....ACV STINKS! what do you ladies do about the vinegar smell?  
So grateful for all the Lord has done for me and my family.  God is so good!

Offline ~esposita~

• Master
    • Family Fotos
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2007, 08:36:52 AM »
Oh, I also forgot....ACV STINKS! what do you ladies do about the vinegar smell?  

Well...I soak herbs in mine and add a bit of lavender and geranium EOs.  That definitely changes the smell.  But, as far as I know - according to my nose  ::) the ACV scent disappears as it drys.  When we use the Vinegar of the Four Thieves, after a bit we all smell "herby" and no one comments on any vinegar scent.  However, if you spray it on in a crowd (especially with my MIL) your bound to get 101 comments  about Italian dressing - especially since I'm Italian!  ;D

I'm excited to try to go "no soap."  I think I'll still use it on my hair (I only wash that twice a week, if that!) but mayhaps if I stop using it on my body, my dry skin will go away!

HTH
My attempt at blogging:  The Carpenter's Wife

Offline joychild24seven

• Adept
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2007, 01:39:43 PM »

Well... I don't shave either.  8)  (I'm such a high maintenance hippie)  ;D To learn more see my posts in the wooly mammoth club thread.

If I did shave I would probably try egg white, or glycerine, or syrup or aloe vera juice, or even just coconut oil and rinsing the razor under HOT water...

Offline joychild24seven

• Adept
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2007, 01:46:17 PM »
OK, I want to try this with kombucha instead of ACV.  Someone tell me how much I should dilute it please. And I keep my kombucha in the fridge, so do you put it in a PLASTIC spray bottle? I read you should never put it in plastic because it starts detoxing it.  Should I just keep a jar by my tub? I also have a very hard time with odor and cant find a deodorant that will keep me from stinking!  And believe me, I have been taking chlorophyll for 5 years+. 

And what about your children? Do they also do this?

I would use a glass jar but before filling the jar with anything I would cover all of the outside of the jar with  duct tape, so if you dropped it in the shower it wouldn't shatter all over. I would pour it into a plastic bottle filled with warm water and immediately squirt it over your head/body. I would probably use 3-4 tbsp of kombucha to 3 cups of water. I wouldn't worry about refrigerating the kombucha if you are storing it in smaller portions.

I don't have children yet (not married yet either  ;) ) But I'll probably avoid soap from now on.

Offline joychild24seven

• Adept
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2007, 01:49:56 PM »

I'm seeing a theme that it take a fews days to get rid of the stink, after not using soap.
How do you all know it's just not getting used to the smell vs. not stinking anymore?

;D

I've wondered that... but honestly, I can tell when I do stink, and I make an effort to smell good, not just to not smell bad. I do frequent "odor" checks during the day, and I also use natural deoderant, essential oils, and I spray a body spray on my clothing before leaving the house. I have a small bottle of body spray in my purse and I have been known to wash my pits in the middle of the day... but 90 % of the time I don't have to!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2007, 07:17:02 PM »
even just coconut oil and rinsing the razor under HOT water...

Better buy alot of razors, they get dull really fast this way.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2007, 04:42:03 AM »

Or just quit and join the Wooly Mammoth Club!   :o  :D 

~ I know.  I look at too many things as unnecessary.  I've gotten too far into the simpler life and my mind has gone simple.  hee hee ~
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2007, 06:14:10 AM »

Or just quit and join the Wooly Mammoth Club!   :o  :D 

~ I know.  I look at too many things as unnecessary.  I've gotten too far into the simpler life and my mind has gone simple.  hee hee ~
I don't think hubby wanted a mammoth.  ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline hsink

• Adept
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2007, 06:18:55 AM »

Is this why my razors get dull so fast??? No seriously it does seem that when I shave with just water that they are dull faster. Now I will have to pay more attention to this one. So what do you shave with???

Also I put a little leave in conditioner in my hair because I don't think that the vinegar smell goes away completely. I really think it disappears on my skin.

YoopreMama

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2007, 07:35:33 AM »
After doing the cleaning w/ diluted (cheap) ACV for almost 2 days now, I must say, I'm surprised at how my skin is clearing up!   :o It sure decreases the itching...

My motto now? "I'd rather smell like a wino than look like a leper!"   ;D

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2007, 08:45:54 AM »

Is this why my razors get dull so fast??? No seriously it does seem that when I shave with just water that they are dull faster. Now I will have to pay more attention to this one. So what do you shave with???

Also I put a little leave in conditioner in my hair because I don't think that the vinegar smell goes away completely. I really think it disappears on my skin.
I use soap.
  My favorite herb book!!

kaira

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2007, 08:55:33 AM »

;D
Personally,
I was stink free the first day - and so was my neighbor... but I haven't gone all out yet  - down there ;) but it has been weeks of baking soda and water on the pits and even working hard I smell fresh ;D