Author Topic: Parkinson's Disease: Causes, Treatments & Prevention?  (Read 14919 times)

Offline SONBEAM

• Learning
Parkinson's Disease: Causes, Treatments & Prevention?
« on: June 02, 2006, 01:20:37 PM »
Hi all!
      I wanted to ask for some advice concerning my mother.  She has been diagnosed with Parkinsons.  She has had brain surgery and is on a lot of medication.  I have done my homework and I know that there is no cure and that the disease is debilitating. I was just wondering if there was anything that might help naturally?  I know that it is unlikely that anything can help.  I just thought it was worth trying.

Dawn

Offline lovey1029

• Learning
Re: Parkinson's Disease: Causes, Treatments & Prevention?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 09:55:33 AM »
We have personally seen great results with Parkinson's disease when people support their bodies with glyconutrients.  My husband educates the general public and medical professionals about a new technology in carbohydrates that has been proven to be the missing link in cellular communicaiton.  When you get the cells communicating, then the body can function like it was created to function. 

We would be glad to send you a complimentary information packet with CDs from medical doctors about this technology.  When the body is supported at the cell level with these sugars, the body has the ability to heal and repair itself and overcome most any condition with consistency and time.  We are here to help you in your search for truth.

Amy Stroup
sugarsthatheal at juno dot com
doug at livingsugars dot com
www.livingsugars.com
www.glycoinformation.com
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 07:05:38 PM by healthybratt »

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 10:31:39 AM »
Lovey1029 - please supply us with a specific story about someone with parkinsons that benefited from glyconutrients, and how.

Sonbeam,
Recently I did some research for my husband's grandfather, who is just beginning to show parkinsons symptoms. I wish I had kept the links now... I remember reading that drugs/medications/stress/ etc... cause toxins, which lead to the parkinsons symptoms.

The Water Cure: http://welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,369.0.html
The above water cleanse is recommended for parkinsons as a way of life, a constant detox.

Diet is also important, from what I've read. Just to make sure toxic foods are cut out, and lots of good veggies and brain foods are incorporated; walnuts, blueberries, spinach, fish, avocado...

Both the Water Cure and diet changes are fairly cheap and simple to incorporate. God bless!

Rebekah

Honey Sunny in complete exasperation:
"JOE!!! You DOUGHNUT COCONUT COCONUT COCONUT!!!"

Offline seekingHISheart

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2007, 02:02:33 PM »
Please, any suggestions about Parkinsons or just about being a caretaker would be so beneficial.  I have 3 children (2 babies), and my husband works 70 hrs a week!  I am desperate for help for my Daddy!

About 5 years ago my Dad was diagnosed and the Dr considered him early onset.  Since then his health has just deteriorated.  My husband had my father move in about two years ago, and I have just done about all the research I can.
  We are limited financially on what we can do.  My father lost his job, and he was just approved for Disability (Praise God!)  But he still doesnt have medical care. So much red tape.  He is taking three prescriptions..Comtan, Senemet, and Mirapex.
  It is devastating watching the effects of this disease.  When the medicine works (about 3 times a day, for a duration of 45 minutes) my Dad seems "normal" again.  He can walk and talk, and it is so good to see him like that.  The rest of the time, he crawls, or I push him in a wheelchair. He cant sit up and get out of bed or a chair. He is losing bowel function, can hardly feed himself, etc.  He has horrible painful cramping and the right side of his body is practically useless.  My Dad just recently turned 57.

Just today, he injured himself trying to change his Depends (without calling me for help  :(
He heard a loud pop and a tear in his left shoulder!  His "better" arm!  My husband has him at the ER right now.  I am waiting to hear back.

My father is very into anything natural and takes TONS of supplements.  He has had to cutback, because of funds though. 

His Dr says he is "maxed out" on the prescription drugs, and the only option is brain surgery.  My dad is terrified and does not want that to happen!  We just dont know where to go from here.  My husband says he wants my father to stay here as long as possible.  I feel like I am losing the battle.  My dad is 6'4" and over 200 lbs.  I cant lift him.  I have a hard time bathing him, and simple things are so hard for him to do. 

Thanks so much for reading my long and rambling post :-[
"The greater perfection a soul aspires after, the more dependent it is upon divine grace." Brother Lawrence

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2007, 05:35:07 PM »
My dad was DX with parkinsons 11 years ago. They say he is in the end stage of it now which could last another 10 years. He was always a very physically strong healthy man who rarely ever needed to see a doctor. He never needed medications either.

He was a champ boxer back in the 1950s. Even tho he won most of the fights he still took some beatings to the head which is surmised as one of the reasons for parkinsions later on in life. Just  like Muhammad Ali. But it seems they do not know for sure all the reasons as to why ppl get it.

The times I have done online research on Parkinson a few times I come upon some info saying that milk can possibly cause parkinsions and worsens it if they already have it. I don't know why. Lots of info on that on google.

According to the below site link Vit B6 might be of some help because it says it helps in dopamine production and ppl with parkinsions are lacking in dopamine. It gives some other supplements to try as well.

http://www.drlera.com/parkinsons_disease.htm

My mom has my dad on lots of vitamins and minerals. I will talk to her about putting him in Vit b1 ( thiamine) because that is said to help the nervous system.

I have taken care of ppl in the nursing home with parkinsions and I know what happens to them so it is hard on me knowing that is what my dad will be like. Right now he can take himself to the potty. He needs help dressing and doing stuff. It pains him to have to ask for me or my mom to button his pants or shirt and things like that. He was once superman who used to pick us kids up and throw us threw the air in the water and done lots of fun things with us. He chopped wood with axes and worked very hard. Now he is weak and in bed most of the time staring at the ceiling twitching and unable to live life freely anymore. Very sad.

Constipation- I know constipation  can be a  major problem in those with parkinsions. My dad was drinking daily doses of milk of magnesia and still was constipated all the time. He would almost get panic stricken of they ran out of it. My mom  recently found an herbal supplement that helps the constipated person. It has worked wonders for my dad. And it don't  give him diarrhea or gas pains like many other laxatives do. It is called SWISS KRISS.

One can do a google search for SWISS KRISS on google and find info. It is my dads new miracle supplement.

I cant even begin to describes my dads non stop discomfort with constipation do to parkinsion disease and SWISS KRISS I think was a God send for him to find some much needed relief and comfort.

The only hope my dad has now is that some day he will be in heaven healthy and able to run again. He will one day be free of this awful illness. That there gives him some hope. Thankfully life here on this earth is only temporary compared to the forever wonderfulness of heaven some day.

Offline seekingHISheart

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2007, 06:22:17 PM »
Wow, I can really relate.  My Dad was also very healthy.  We often joke that we didn't grow up with a couch or other living room furniture, because all we had was exercise equipment!  He also has always tried to eat well, and live more naturally.  And he was always our jungle gym :)

Thank you so much for your information.  I know my Dad struggles with constipation.  I am going to find that stuff right away!  I will look into the other vitamins as well.

He gets very distressed, and sometimes he cannot leave his room at all for an entire day.  He stays in bed and struggles to get up to go to the bathroom...and eating is exhausting for him. :(  He feels trapped inside his body.  Unfortunately, he is not a believer, and so he feels hopeless and he told me today he feels as if the Lord does not like him.  I prayed with him, and he started crying.  It is so overwhelming. 

My Dad told me today that the saddest part for him is not being able to help people anymore.  He liked using his strength to do good for others.  Now he only requires help.  It makes me so sad to hear him say this.

One of the worst parts is, most of the family is in denial.  They may see him when his meds are "on", and they think I am overreacting or exaggerating his condition.  They dont see him crawling from the kitchen to his room, taking more than 3 hours to get there!  (sometimes he wants to be independent, and he wont let me use the wheelchair :-\ )

There is one prescription that was amazing, but had terrible side effects.  It is called apokyn(sp?).  It is an injection that can be taken up to 8 times a day.  My dad would take it, and within 15 minutes...he would be SuperMan again!  He could run, jump, play with my kids!  But...it only lasted for an hour.  He said he would give anything to have that...to be normal...but with out insurance...one month costs nearly $4000.00.  No joke!

I will pray for you and your family.  It is hard to watch people you love suffer. It is lovely that your father is a believer.  I am glad to know that he can be comforted by the Lord. 

My dad was DX with parkinsons 11 years ago. They say he is in the end stage of it now which could last another 10 years. He was always a very physically strong healthy man who rarely ever needed to see a doctor. He never needed medications either.

He was a champ boxer back in the 1950s. Even tho he won most of the fights he still took some beatings to the head which is surmised as one of the reasons for parkinsions later on in life. Just  like Muhammad Ali. But it seems they do not know for sure all the reasons as to why ppl get it.

The times I have done online research on Parkinson a few times I come upon some info saying that milk can possibly cause parkinsions and worsens it if they already have it. I don't know why. Lots of info on that on google.

According to the below site link Vit B6 might be of some help because it says it helps in dopamine production and ppl with parkinsions are lacking in dopamine. It gives some other supplements to try as well.

http://www.drlera.com/parkinsons_disease.htm

My mom has my dad on lots of vitamins and minerals. I will talk to her about putting him in Vit b1 ( thiamine) because that is said to help the nervous system.

I have taken care of ppl in the nursing home with parkinsions and I know what happens to them so it is hard on me knowing that is what my dad will be like. Right now he can take himself to the potty. He needs help dressing and doing stuff. It pains him to have to ask for me or my mom to button his pants or shirt and things like that. He was once superman who used to pick us kids up and throw us threw the air in the water and done lots of fun things with us. He chopped wood with axes and worked very hard. Now he is weak and in bed most of the time staring at the ceiling twitching and unable to live life freely anymore. Very sad.

Constipation- I know constipation  can be a  major problem in those with parkinsions. My dad was drinking daily doses of milk of magnesia and still was constipated all the time. He would almost get panic stricken of they ran out of it. My mom  recently found an herbal supplement that helps the constipated person. It has worked wonders for my dad. And it don't  give him diarrhea or gas pains like many other laxatives do. It is called SWISS KRISS.

One can do a google search for SWISS KRISS on google and find info. It is my dads new miracle supplement.

I cant even begin to describes my dads non stop discomfort with constipation do to parkinsion disease and SWISS KRISS I think was a God send for him to find some much needed relief and comfort.

The only hope my dad has now is that some day he will be in heaven healthy and able to run again. He will one day be free of this awful illness. That there gives him some hope. Thankfully life here on this earth is only temporary compared to the forever wonderfulness of heaven some day.

"The greater perfection a soul aspires after, the more dependent it is upon divine grace." Brother Lawrence

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 06:42:44 AM »
KeswickHouse - TY. I will pray for your dad as well, I will pray he gets saved. If you ever feel lead to you could always tell your dad about the hope my dad has in going to heaven.

When I worked at a place that was affiliated with a crisis pregnancy center I would tell the unsaved girls coming in that being a Christian does not mean we have to be all perfect goody tissues like many unsaved ppl think. I told them no one can be perfect and that is the reason why Jesus had to die for our sins. I told them no matter what we have done in our lives Jesus still has provided a way for us to freely choose Him.( the spiritual growth comes later via other ways)

It is we people who make it hard when God made it simple. We need believe and accept Jesus and that is that but we humans make it into a game of rules to follow and we do not understand it because it is sometimes too simple for us to understand because we expect that we must do something to earn the free ticket to heaven. Thank God that Jesus already done something to pay for our free ticket to heaven.

I'm going to ask my dad to pray for the salvation of your dad. Since my dad also suffers with parkinions he will understand the importance of it.

Whenever we are at my parents house I try to make sure my kids arnt leaving toys and shoes in the places my dad walks and or stumbles. It seems like he trips over the smallest things so very easy. Even a wrinkled rug trips him up. My dad has to much pride to ask ppl to cut his food up real small so when I am there I don't make a scene or say much I just quietly take his plate and start silently cutting the food into tiny pieces other wise he will about choke to death on the food. The day will come when he will only be able to eat liquid foods. YUCK.

Keeping you all in my prayers!

:)

Offline Gerri

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2007, 09:42:20 AM »
My husband suffers from PD also. He takes 2 meds. Carbidopa/Levodopa during the day and Benztropine at night time before bed. He will be 50 in a couple of weeks and we have been dealing with this for several years now. It is now beging to affect his JOB. (he is a fireman). I understand what all of you have said. He has his good days and his bad days. I would like to know what kind of suppliments for him to take any info will be apprciated.

Offline beesbabe

• Learning
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2007, 11:52:14 AM »
Hi.  I subscribe to the Douglass Report and I did a search on Parkinson's.  I've only read one article so far, but it says that in one study (of mice), the results suggested that decreased folic acid leads to high levels of homocysteine in the brain which leads to damage in the part of the midbrain that makes dopamine.  As you know PD patients have low dopamine levels. 

Dr. Douglass' suggestion was to eat foods high in folice acid or to take a supplement at 1000 mcg/day.

I'm not sure if you can access this, but here's the linkhttp://www.douglassreport.com/dailydose/dd200211/dd20021129a.html

Offline seekingHISheart

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2007, 05:48:32 AM »
I talked to my Dad yesterday, and he showed me his HUGE box of supplements and vitamins he takes everyday!  Wow.  He is taking a B vitamins supplement(but it does not have b1).  He has been taking some folic acid, but not as much as beesbabe suggested.  I asked if there was anything he thought actually made a difference.  He said the coQ10 seemed to have a small positive effect.  He also drinks aloe vera juice.  All this said, he told me nothing stands out as being exceptionally helpful :(

We will keep trying, and I am going to try all the wonderful ideas you all have suggested.  I REALLY appreciate everyones help here.  I love the WTMers!

I am also looking for something to help his cramping.  Nearly a year ago, he had an involuntary movement in his sleep.  His foot came off the bed and struck the floor and his foot broke!  It has slowly healed, but the cramping in the right side of his body causes extreme pain in his foot, and he believes has prevented the foot from healing correctly.  In fact, he even has this "boot" he wears everyday from the ER, but his foot looks like it has healed improperly with the bones pointing toward the inside.

Offline beesbabe

• Learning
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2007, 07:06:28 PM »
Here's another link to the Douglass Report where he talks about drinking 28 cups of coffee (with caffeine, no sugar) per week as being helpful for people with Parkinson's. 

www.douglassreport.com/dailydose/dd200301/dd20030128b.html

He also said in another article that sodium benzoate which is commonly found in soda can worsen Parkinson's.  In another article he says that many pesticides can cause Parkinson's.  I don't have those links right now.

I'm sorry about your dad and all his hardships. 

Offline seekingHISheart

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2007, 04:09:30 AM »
I read that article.  Very interesting.  My Dad loves his black coffee!  He has not been drinking much lately...mostly because I am not a big coffee drinker, so I do not think to make it.  hmmm....I think he will be glad to ask me to start brewing some after he reads this article. :)
Thanks bunches, beesbabe!

Here's another link to the Douglass Report where he talks about drinking 28 cups of coffee (with caffeine, no sugar) per week as being helpful for people with Parkinson's. 

www.douglassreport.com/dailydose/dd200301/dd20030128b.html

He also said in another article that sodium benzoate which is commonly found in soda can worsen Parkinson's.  In another article he says that many pesticides can cause Parkinson's.  I don't have those links right now.

I'm sorry about your dad and all his hardships. 

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2007, 07:41:05 AM »
My dad loves coffee also. He has always been an avid coffee drinker. Since he has had parkinsons he can no longer drink it because the caffeine in the coffee ( even the small amount of caffeine in decaf coffee) make him have real bad uncontrollable tremors. They get so bad after drinking coffee that his arms and legs trimmer into giant twitches were he flings his limbs about hitting stuff while doing so.  :(

But I have to admit for me a nice fresh from the oven coffee cake with vanilla ice cream dumped on it sounds real good!  :)

Offline Molly-o

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2007, 10:45:48 AM »
Has anyone found anything that will slow the progression of Parkinsons or alieviate the symptoms?

Offline joychild24seven

• Adept
    • Cloth Alternatives for Women
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2007, 12:16:31 PM »
I have a friend whose husband has had great success with Reliv shakes. He went from not functioning at all to being able to walk around the block, handle small outings, etc.

My disclaimer is this. According to most Reliv supporters, it will/has cured everything from hearing loss to cancer. It has lots of soy. It is very expensive and as far as I can tell, most people who use it frequently, sell it to be able to afford it.

But it has worked well for my friend. Her husband is doing much much better now. If I or someone I loved was dealing with Parkinsons, I would probably try it.
Every Day You Save My Life

Offline Gerri

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2007, 12:34:37 PM »
Where do you find this Reliv?

Offline joychild24seven

• Adept
    • Cloth Alternatives for Women
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2007, 02:15:21 PM »
Where do you find this Reliv?

You can find a little more information on www.reliv.com where it looks like you can also order... or I just checked ebay and it looks like you might get a better price there (just search for "reliv")

If you pm me I'll pass on the email address of my friend... she would be happy to tell you more about it, and to give you specific advice in regards to Parkinsons disease.

HTH
Every Day You Save My Life

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2007, 07:10:21 AM »
Here is a link for some info on VITMIN D. If you scroll down to the heading that says s " Vitmin D miracles" in red letters  it briefly says something about those with parkinsions have low VIt D levels.

http://www.westonaprice.org/basicnutrition/vitamindmiracle.html

Offline littlemama24

• Master
    • check out this website!
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2008, 11:20:13 AM »
I just saw this thread here (didn't know it was here previously).  I wanted to add that I did some research on Parkinson's while in school to be a Physical Therapy Assistant.  Mainly, I researched Progressive Supranuclear Palsy (a Parkinsonian disorder) because that was the one I was most familiar with despite it's rarity of diagnosis since that is the one my grandfather had and I helped care for him until he passed.  Anyway, there are some very interesting studies in Physical Therapy journals and magazines that might be of some use to those of you dealing with loved ones who have a Parkinsonian disorder.  Of course, these won't address anything nutrition-wise, only muscular or neurological; since it is from a physical therapy standpoint.  One thing I can say is to encourage as much extension as possible to maintain that as long as you can.  With many parkinsonian disorders the body begins to pull into an extremely flexed posture which exacerbates other physical problems and once this sets in it is not reversible.  Scientists argue that because it is neurologically induced (like a reflex) you can't stop it from happening but I personally believe (and from experience working with stroke patients) that you can limit or at least inhibit it.  So anything to keep the person being able to sit straighter, stretch their arms all the way out, extend their legs -especially at the hip, etc. Things like that.  I will try to find links to post when I can if I find any of the studies that I have read... too bad I no longer have my report on it.... or do I?  I wouldn't know where to look...
Anyway, there are also many things being done with music and dancing (to tap into the limbic system) and various "gait" activities to reduce falls and promote coordination, etc.   

I hope some of this rambling is remotely beneficial... :-\

Offline littlemama24

• Master
    • check out this website!
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2008, 11:30:53 AM »
Here are a few links I found doing a search for Parkinson's and Physical Therapy:

this one is on dance and Parkinson's:
http://www.jnpt.org/pt/re/jnpt/abstract.01253086-200712000-00003.htm;jsessionid=HZbP6ysdZGT63vS2qtprnY0P6jGQP65RynJ36GPQvy4jbpKxSqW0!1759956393!181195629!8091!-1

I only skimmed this one, but it seems to be in defense of using PT with these patients despite the contrary scientific opinion:
http://www.parkinson.org/NETCOMMUNITY/Page.aspx?pid=402&srcid=374

There were a TON more to go through with many references of places to go for treatment. I am very pleased to see that there are a lot more non-pharmacological minded places out there since the time I did my "research" 7 yrs or so ago...