Author Topic: Vericous [Vericose] Veins: Treatment Options & Pain Relief  (Read 63194 times)

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
Re: Vericous [Vericose] Veins: Treatment Options & Pain Relief
« Reply #90 on: August 20, 2009, 06:43:03 AM »
Yay Sarah K!  You're my hero!  :-* 
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

earthymama3

« Reply #91 on: August 20, 2009, 07:06:40 AM »
Okay, so I have a question about varicose veins.  I've had them for 5 years rather extensively, though my first one appeared 8 years ago with my first pregnancy.  It was only 2 inches long in my groin area toward the end of my first pregnancy.  During my second, somewhere after 4 months, they got much worse, extending down parts of both of my legs.  I'm on my 4th and they continue to worsen.  I'm familiar with all the comfort measures, some of which I use with some success, but they don't look any better, ever.  In fact, they look worse each time.  The stockings help the most, and I'm not terribly comfortable with using the herbs.  So I stick with extra C and E, do witch hazel compresses when they're really itchy.

My question isn't so much about how to make them more comfortable or lessen their appearance, per se, but are there any really solid facts on whether they're just a cosmetic nuisance that are uncomfortable, or are they a health issue that needs to be dealt with?  I see some of you have continued to have many pregnancies.  I've heard of some doctors telling women that they need to stop having babies because of their veins, and the women go on to have more babies in defiance.  :-)  Are the doctors that say this basing their advice on facts regarding health? or is there really no solid evidence that veins are a real health problem? 

I also heard from a midwife that there is some concern during birthing with vulvar varicosities rupturing while pushing, but there are ways to deal with that.  Her opinion is that otherwise, the leg veins are purely cosmetic and don't necessarily have any huge health ramifications.

Does anyone have any solid info on this?  Opinions?

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #92 on: August 20, 2009, 07:47:46 AM »
from wiki:
"Veins have leaflet valves to prevent blood from flowing backwards (retrograde). Leg muscles pump the veins to return blood to the heart, against the effects of gravity. When veins become varicose, the leaflets of the valves no longer meet properly, and the valves don't work. This allows blood to flow backwards and they enlarge even more. Varicose veins are most common in the superficial veins of the legs, which are subject to high pressure when standing. Besides cosmetic problems, varicose veins are often painful, especially when standing or walking. They often itch, and scratching them can cause ulcers. Serious complications are rare."

So, they're not deadly or anything, but they are very uncomfortable, and get worse with age.  There is good solid research that confirms the benefits of Horse Chestnut Extract in reversing and halting the symptoms...it works even better than the compression stockings in studies.
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline daisey

• Master
  • Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side
« Reply #93 on: December 29, 2009, 06:57:37 PM »
I just wanted to share that I have a very dear friend that is prego with her 12th child.  She suffers with vericose veins so this time after researching here on WTM I suggested butcher's broom which I am not certain she has used................but.........I also suggested Marshmallow root compresses.   She has been using the compresses faithfully and her veins are almost back to normal!    Along this same line..........my daughter got a very large bruise on her calf...........6-8" long and it covered the whole back of her calf.   She used comfrey and marshmallow root compresses and the bruise improved after the first application.       Thank you WTM for helping us be healthier.   :D
Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #94 on: February 05, 2010, 04:19:26 PM »
I know we all just forget about our varicose veins in the winter when we can't see them, but...

http://www.luckyvitamin.com/p-638-natural-care-vein-gard-caps-spider-varicose-veins-60-capsules

I decided I would try one of the herb blends marketed for varicose veins. Normally I am one to just make my own, but the ingredients are all so expensive that I think this would be a better value. This looked like the best one. Grape seed extract, rutin, butcher's broom, and horse chestnut are all supposed to be good. I think I may wait until I'm done nursing, though, because I am not familiar with the homeopathic ingredients.

SarahK, any new thoughts on the horse chestnut? Have you been taking it while nursing?

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #95 on: February 05, 2010, 08:05:38 PM »
I asked Sarah K about the Horse Chestnut Extract as well, but for use in pregnancy.  She encouraged me to look up studies done on it by the Commission E...the European version of the FDA, but they actually test herbal formulas in addition to pharmaceutical drugs.  Here are a couple of quotes I found:
"There are no known reasons to avoid horse chestnut during pregnancy (14)  Blumenthal M, Busse WR, Goldberg A, et al. (eds). The Complete Commission E Monographs: Therapeutic Guide to Herbal Medicines. Boston, MA: Integrative Medicine Communications, 1998, 148–9."
and
"There are no embryotoxic or teratogenic effects of aescin* in animal models ; however, safety of HCSE has not been established in pregnant or breast feeding women. http://www.herbalremediesinfo.com/horse-chestnut-seed.html"
*the active constituent of HCSE

I had vein problems with my last pregnancy and I wore the compression stockings.  :P I researched, and I am using a product called Leg Viens during this pregnancy, and it has been amazing...no pain and no more problems with my viens.  The ones that were already damaged aren't disappearing, but there are no new ones showing up either!

http://www.luckyvitamin.com/p-5508-natures-way-leg-veins-60-capsules

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #96 on: February 06, 2010, 02:49:54 PM »
I am using the Now Food 300mg Horse Chestnut capsules now and have been since before our youngest was born in May 09.  I've been pregnant &/or nursing the whole time and have had no problems that I am aware of.  No decrease in supply, child allergy reactions, or anything else.

For me, this has been an excellent way to manage my varicosities (where ever they show up).  The veins are not gone but there is less swelling, surface heat, pressure and itching/pain.

Sarah K
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline born-an-okie

• Adept
« Reply #97 on: February 25, 2010, 02:50:50 PM »
Is anyone familiar with taking diosmin for varicose veins?  It is a citrus peel extract/bioflavinoid.  It is commonly used in Europe for treating hemorrhoids and varicose veins, sometimes prescribed as Daflon 500.  I have recently read about it and wondered if anyone had experience with it.  It is supposed to be safe during pregnancy.  I'm looking into gettting the Leg Veins formula SarahK mentioned as I have a vein down one leg that is driving me crazy this pregnancy.  Soooooo achy and it runs down the back of my thigh so sitting or riding in the car is awful.  I just wanted to know if anyone has tried this other option.  Thanks!

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #98 on: October 22, 2010, 08:22:28 AM »
I wanted to post about something I tried. I ordered some capsules called Nature's Way Leg Veins. There are 120 in the bottle and I think they were about $12 on amazon and then I got free shipping. I think they are only $9 at LuckyVitamin but I didn't have enough for free shipping at the time. Anyway, they have:

30 mg Vitamin C
300 mg Horsechestnut
150 mg Dandelion leaf
150 mg Butcher's Broom
150 mg Cayenne Pepper
50 mg Prickly Ash bark
37 mg Tru-OPCs Grape Seed extract

I chose these because all of the ingredients I had heard of for treating varicose veins, esp. the horse chestnut, which SarahK had mentioned in the same dosage (I almost got plain horse chestnut so I could experiment on what herbs worked and which didn't but this was the same price at the same dosage).

I am 34 and in the last 5 years my legs have gone from normal to having quite a few spider veins and some big rope veins on my calves (2 pregnancies during that time). The women in my family all have bad varicose veins and some of the men even have them. They seemed to be getting noticeably worse even when I was not pregnant. I started taking them mid-summer and took some pictures so I could verify whether they were helping. Of course I had a tan by then so they looked better anyway but I plan to take more pictures periodically.  

I definitely have not seen any improvement. I think I have seen a couple of them get worse. I don't always take the full recommended amount of 4 a day since I am always thinking of the price. What I have started doing is: if I know I am going to be standing a lot (teaching, cooking) I will take 2 beforehand. If I am going to be walking a lot, I figure my veins will probably be doing their job better since my heart and muscles will be working harder. On the standing still days where I take 2 capsules, I believe I can tell a difference. There is less pressure and pain in my veins. I have been taking fewer lately since I am almost out and I feel like there is more pressure in my legs again. This could be my wishful thinking, but I think I am going to get some more and keep on keeping track of how well they work. I know standing is bad for your leg veins and at least it gives me peace of mind that my legs aren't turning purpler and purpler while I stand there while my husband shows me something on the computer or my son takes forever to write something down or I am cooking, ironing, etc.  

I will let you know if I see any more results!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 08:33:03 AM by Julia »