Author Topic: How to make garlic oil  (Read 6400 times)

Offline Hootie Hoo/the-beth

• Adept
    • The Beth Chronicles
How to make garlic oil
« on: June 03, 2007, 11:00:11 AM »
Okay, I tried looking elsewhere for this, but couldn't find it.  If I'm wrong, I'm sure HB will direct me.

I just need basic instructions for how to make Garlic Oil.  Not GOOT, just plain garlic oil.  The kind you rub on the bottom of the feet.

Can anyone help me?
"Change is the essence of life. Be willing to surrender what you are for what you could become." Pericles

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: How to make garlic oil
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 11:47:53 AM »
Okay, I tried looking elsewhere for this, but couldn't find it.  If I'm wrong, I'm sure HB will direct me.

I just need basic instructions for how to make Garlic Oil.  Not GOOT, just plain garlic oil.  The kind you rub on the bottom of the feet.

Can anyone help me?
Bruise a clove and let it sit in about 1 tsp of warm olive oil for about 15 minutes.  I usually just put the bowl of oil in another bowl with hot water to warm it.
  My favorite herb book!!

• Adept
    • The Beth Chronicles
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 12:30:43 PM »
Thanks, HB! 

Is there any way to make this in bigger batches and store it, or is it better to make it fresh everytime?
"Change is the essence of life. Be willing to surrender what you are for what you could become." Pericles

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 12:54:10 PM »
Thanks, HB! 

Is there any way to make this in bigger batches and store it, or is it better to make it fresh everytime?
I would make it fresh every time.  Allicin, the active component in garlic is ineffective after several minutes.
  My favorite herb book!!

• Adept
    • The Beth Chronicles
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 04:54:16 PM »
Thanks for your help. 

And by the way, when I said you would direct me, I meant to the right thread.  :)  But thanks for just answering the question for me.  I appreciate it.

Beth

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 04:47:17 AM »

And by the way, when I said you would direct me, I meant to the right thread.  :)  But thanks for just answering the question for me.  I appreciate it.

Beth
I don't believe there is a thread already created on garlic oil (I might be slipping though), so I left it here.  It's been mentioned, but it's mixed in with several other threads about sinuses, earaches & such.  ;)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 09:27:05 PM »
Bump on this!
Garlic oil is good for suspected ear infections right?

YoopreMama

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 02:29:21 AM »
Bump on this!  Garlic oil is good for suspected ear infections right?
Yes. HFK makes one w/ mullein oil, too...willow sounds familiar, too.  But plain old garlic oil is typically recommended.

Offline MamaKate

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 12:40:11 PM »
Bump on this!

Yes!! I have used it with great success for my children several times, but yesterday I woke up with a sore, stuffed up ear (I've had a cold).  I had my son put several drops of garlic oil (homemade) in my ear (I also swallowed several small garlic cloves  :P) This morning my ear was fine - the stuffiness and pain were gone!  :o
Mama to 6 Beautiful Bessings!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2007, 06:50:23 AM »
Bump on this!

It's cured 3 or 4 for me and my kids.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Mom2FourBlessings

• Adept
  • East TN mountains are our backyard.
    • Kiser Ridge Farm
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2007, 02:42:08 AM »
I buy a garlic, mullein oil mix at our local heath foods store it is called "ear oil" , it has been great for treating full blown ear infections here.  My two oldest both had an ear infection, the doc wanted to dose them on antibiotics, I asked him to let me try first, he did but made me promise to come back in 2-3 days to let him look at their ears (or sooner if symptoms got worse)  I used only the garlic/mullien oil I had and when we went back in 3 days there was no sign of infection, not even a little...  I told the doc what I did, he said "well if you THINK it works"  ARRRGGGG yeah doc, I just "thought" it into getting better.. ****rolling eyes***** 

Oh well just wanted to add that garlic oil does work well for ear infections, well mine is garlic mullien oil, but it works, I got it way before I found this place, so now that I know how easy it is I will try making my own should we need it..   

Heather
Daughter of God, helpmeet to Joshua, mommy to four so far.. :)

Offline 1ofeach

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2007, 06:27:41 AM »
I used only the garlic/mullien oil I had and when we went back in 3 days there was no sign of infection, not even a little...  I told the doc what I did, he said "well if you THINK it works"  ARRRGGGG yeah doc, I just "thought" it into getting better.. ****rolling eyes***** 

Oh well just wanted to add that garlic oil does work well for ear infections, well mine is garlic mullien oil, but it works, I got it way before I found this place, so now that I know how easy it is I will try making my own should we need it..   

Heather

GRRRR to that doc!!! I'm rolling my eyes right along w/ ya on that one!

Now, if an eardrum has ruptured, am I right in thinking you should NOT use the oil then?

Offline mamaofangels

• Adept
  • Mamaofangels Family
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2007, 06:30:00 AM »
I just thought I'd add my 2 cents. I make mine kinda like HB but I warm it on the stove with the crushed garlic till I smell the garlic then strain it.  I've kept a made batch of garlic oil for a month or so and it still has worked after the first day.  Just thought I'd throw it our their.  Maybe it just isn't as strong.  I've warded off more than one ear infection with it and also used it to help remove warts.
Jenny
~ I don't believe in Miricles I DEPEND on them!

Click here to see my Intro.
Click here for my 7xsunday Intro.

Offline joyful_mommy03

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2008, 04:37:32 AM »
Since the Allicin in garlic is gone a few minutes after cutting, are there any redeeming qualities left in my garlic oil after 5 minutes?

When I make a new batch, I add what's left of the last batch just because I hate to waste it.  I've used SO much garlic over the last few days because everyone in my house is sick.

Can I still put the oil on my kids (feet, chest, etc) after the 5 minutes and reap some benefits?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2008, 04:45:14 AM »
Since the Allicin in garlic is gone a few minutes after cutting, are there any redeeming qualities left in my garlic oil after 5 minutes?

When I make a new batch, I add what's left of the last batch just because I hate to waste it.  I've used SO much garlic over the last few days because everyone in my house is sick.

Can I still put the oil on my kids (feet, chest, etc) after the 5 minutes and reap some benefits?
I think it would be more like 10-15 minutes, but I always make it fresh to get the best out of each batch.  Garlic is pretty inexpensive compared to other remedies out there.  I just bruise a small clove and put it in about 1 tsp of oil for a few minutes and use it up.  I don't make GOOT, so I can't help you with this one.  I use the oil for ears and for everything else, we either eat it raw or I make a poultice if the tummy is upset.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Simply Kristen

• Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2008, 05:15:30 AM »

I think it would be more like 10-15 minutes, but I always make it fresh to get the best out of each batch.  Garlic is pretty inexpensive compared to other remedies out there.  I just bruise a small clove and put it in about 1 tsp of oil for a few minutes and use it up.  I don't make GOOT, so I can't help you with this one.  I use the oil for ears and for everything else, we either eat it raw or I make a poultice if the tummy is upset.

same here. i make a fresh batch each time.

Offline joyful_mommy03

• Adept
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2008, 05:24:10 AM »
Thank for chiming in guys!!   :D

So, do you feel like there aren't any other redeeming qualities after that 10-15 minutes has expired?  Am I harming the new batch by puttin in oil from the last batch?

Thanks a ton!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2008, 05:41:19 AM »
Thank for chiming in guys!!   :D

So, do you feel like there aren't any other redeeming qualities after that 10-15 minutes has expired?  Am I harming the new batch by puttin in oil from the last batch?

Thanks a ton!!
Well, I don't really know for sure, but if your old batch IS worthless, then you would be diluting the effectiveness (watering it down-so to speak) of the new batch by adding the old to it.  I don't think it would "hurt" anything, but I also don't think it would help.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline mamaofangels

• Adept
  • Mamaofangels Family
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2008, 07:11:47 AM »
Okay here is my very unscientific take on it.  I personally think that it is still benifical after the first 10- 15 min. But maybe not as strong.  I say this because before I knew about allicin I made a batch of Garlic oil and kept it in a little container on the counter.  About 2-3 weeks later my daughter started to come down with ear infection I dropped my premade garlic oil in it several times that day and night and the next morning she was great.  I can't stand to throw out garlic oil so I make a batch and use it all before I make another.  I make small batches but if I make one at beginning of a sickness it still usually lasts a day ot two. 
I also used a batch for several weeks to help get rid of a wart.
Jenny
~ I don't believe in Miricles I DEPEND on them!

Click here to see my Intro.
Click here for my 7xsunday Intro.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2008, 07:16:09 AM »
Okay here is my very unscientific take on it.  I personally think that it is still benifical after the first 10- 15 min. But maybe not as strong.  I say this because before I knew about allicin I made a batch of Garlic oil and kept it in a little container on the counter.  About 2-3 weeks later my daughter started to come down with ear infection I dropped my premade garlic oil in it several times that day and night and the next morning she was great.  I can't stand to throw out garlic oil so I make a batch and use it all before I make another.  I make small batches but if I make one at beginning of a sickness it still usually lasts a day ot two. 
I also used a batch for several weeks to help get rid of a wart.
Jenny
I've found that I only usually have to dose my kids once with this stuff (it's very potent) for an ear infection.  On rare occasions I've had to give a 2nd dose, but it's usually the next day (upon complaints) and I've yet to give a third dose.  I don't know whether your kids are complaining throughout the day or if you're just dosing as a precautionary measure, but I only give the oil when the ear actually hurts and have had really good luck so far.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Simply Kristen

• Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2008, 07:57:14 AM »
Plain oil in the ear is also good for ear aches. Maybe that is why your garlic oil worked....