Author Topic: Need recipe for b-day dessert asap!  (Read 19378 times)

Offline farmmom

• Adept
Need recipe for b-day dessert asap!
« on: June 10, 2007, 12:53:07 AM »
Does anyone have a recipe for a frozen type or refrigerated dessert containing, oreos, ice cream, or puddings, cool whip any of these would be great.  My ds and dd have a b-day on Mon. of course everyone wants a different type cake and or dessert and the ds wants something with any or all of the above in his special treat.  I have made something in the past similar but it was just something I made up and cannot remember any details.  It doesn't have to be exactly with these items just basically sweet, chocolate, frozen or cold and of course unhealthy.  thanks bunches!
' When through firey trials thy pathway shall lie My Grace all sufficient shall be thy supply the flame shall not hurt thee I only design thy dross to consume and thy gold to refine.'

Offline berthday

• Adept
Re: Need recipe for b-day dessert asap!
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007, 01:13:03 AM »
"Mississippi mud" is what we call this dessert. Vannilla ice cream soften,oreo cookies crunched up and some cool whip.Sorry I don't have the measurments but its a taste as you go dessert and oh so good! Put in frezzer untill ready to eat.ENJOY and happy birthday

Nickole

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007, 01:19:10 AM »
"Mississippi mud" is what we call this dessert. Vannilla ice cream soften,oreo cookies crunched up and some cool whip.Sorry I don't have the measurments but its a taste as you go dessert and oh so good! Put in frezzer untill ready to eat.ENJOY and happy birthday

Oh, that reminds me of another dessert we have had before:  crushed oreos with chocolate pudding mixed in, and then cool whip spread on top.  Refrigerate until cookies are soft.  I think that's how you make it.  Oh, it is SOOO good!  I think we may have put mini chocolate chips on top too.  Yes, sprinkly those on top.  mmmm....

I am also looking for a b-day dessert idea for my daughter for this week.  She is so used to traditional store bought cakes only b/c we got them free for years, while working at a Food Pantry.  Not really tasty IMO, but free and pretty!  So I think she would want cake, but we'll see.  ;)   

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 01:35:12 AM »
Here's what I would do:

- -  - - - -
- 3 c flour
- 2 c sugar
- 1/3 c cocoa
- 1 t salt
- 2 t soda

Blend above & add:

- 2 c water
- 3/4 c oil
- 2 T vinegar
- 1 t vanilla

Mix well with a fork.  Lince 9x13 pan with parchment paper (found in the foil & placstic wrap seciont) across bottom and all the way up all sides.  Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes ... give or take.

Cool completely.  Then flip it out onto a clan work surface, cooling rack, clean cutting board, something.  slice the whole thing in half the long way.  You're gonna make a huge Ice Cream sandwich.  Put the bottom layer on a cutting board (or back in the 9x13) or something to support it for freezing.  Layer on softened icecream with oreos smashed into it.  Amounts are up to you.  Drizzle some chocolate syrup on the icecream and make sure some is visible from the sides.  Put the top part of the cake back on.  If ya wanna be rally fancy, cut oreos in half and put them in slits cut in the top of the top cake so each piece has a half oreo on it.   You could also put another layer of Ice cream on top like a frosting and then stand up the oreos in that layer.  Depends on how HUGE you want the individual pieces to be.... and how much of this cake you want hanging around after it's first day.

Let freeze until you are ready for it.  I let it sit out for 15 min or so (not in mid summer of course) so I won't need a chainsaw to cut it. 

We also like it with caramel & peanuts instead of oreos.

Sarah K

I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Nickole

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 01:43:04 AM »
Ok, Sarak, that looks heavenly.  Can I use whole wheat flour or would you say nah for this?  Also, would honey work instead of sugar? 

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 01:57:58 AM »
I have made that cake with fine ground WW flour.  Works well.  I haven't used honey though.  Could work, but I've never tried it.... and the honey and oreos would argue in my mouth.

Sarah K

Offline farmmom

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2007, 02:03:38 AM »
Oh my goodness, I am suppose to be getting ready for church, instead I am sitting here drooling over these absolutely mouth watering desserts.  Thank you soooooo much for the great ideas, I knew all great minds think the same. Thank goodness for birthdays!
' When through firey trials thy pathway shall lie My Grace all sufficient shall be thy supply the flame shall not hurt thee I only design thy dross to consume and thy gold to refine.'

Nickole

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2007, 02:04:31 AM »
I have made that cake with fine ground WW flour.  Works well.  I haven't used honey though.  Could work, but I've never tried it.... and the honey and oreos would argue in my mouth.

Sarah K

I can't grind really fine, but maybe I will try the sifting herbalmom recommended.  

You mean the "bad" oreos would fight with the "good" honey?  Since they are on obviously different health "teams" they would cause chaos in your mouth, and destroy an otherwise enjoyable palatable experience?  

Or they just would tast bad together?

Nickole

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2007, 02:08:57 AM »
You know, speaking of church, we made this WONDERFUL chocolate eclaire recipe last night for church tonight.  Vanilla pudding, cool whip, graham crackers, chocolate syrup.  I'll have to post the recipe some time.  Anyway, GLAD we tasted it before we brought it tonight, b/c it had a ver distinct, not normal, PLASTIC taste to it.  I know it was the huge Pampered Chef plastic scraper thingy we used to mix the filling.  When you lick it off, it tastes plasticy.  Well, this time the plastic taste went throughout.  It was so strong that we had to brush our teeth to get the taste out.  AWFUL!  And disappointing b/c we had to throw the whole dessert away.  Threw that spatula things or whatever you call it away too.   :P 

Offline farmmom

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2007, 02:31:23 AM »
You know, speaking of church, we made this WONDERFUL chocolate eclaire recipe last night for church tonight.  Vanilla pudding, cool whip, graham crackers, chocolate syrup.  I'll have to post the recipe some time.  Anyway, GLAD we tasted it before we brought it tonight, b/c it had a ver distinct, not normal, PLASTIC taste to it.  I know it was the huge Pampered Chef plastic scraper thingy we used to mix the filling.  When you lick it off, it tastes plasticy.  Well, this time the plastic taste went throughout.  It was so strong that we had to brush our teeth to get the taste out.  AWFUL!  And disappointing b/c we had to throw the whole dessert away.  Threw that spatula things or whatever you call it away too.   :P 
That is so wierd, I have those spatulas also, I'll certainly keep that in mind.  Throwing out a delish sweet like that would make me cringe!

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2007, 02:32:19 AM »
and the honey and oreos would argue in my mouth.

Sarah K

You mean the "bad" oreos would fight with the "good" honey?  Since they are on obviously different health "teams" they would cause chaos in your mouth, and destroy an otherwise enjoyable palatable experience?  

Or they just would tast bad together?

Bad taste combo for me - OK as long as they aren't together... but take that only for what it's worth.  I have a thing about bananas, too.  Yuck.

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2007, 02:36:24 AM »

That is so wierd, I have those spatulas also, I'll certainly keep that in mind.  Throwing out a delish sweet like that would make me cringe!

Sunning & airing helps get the plastic smell out of things. Might help for those spatulas also. HTH

Nickole- would you please post the recipe? Thanks. Blessings ~herbalmom

Nickole

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2007, 03:29:45 AM »

I think I got the spatula really hot one time, like mixing something hot, and perhaps it wasn't meant for that.  Maybe that released the chemicals?  But I have never had the plastic taste totally destroy a dish like that.  The taste of just a dab of it had us running to the bathroom to brush our teeth.  Terrible.

Ok, herbalmom, here goes:

CHOCOLATE ECLAIRE

Filling:
1 box graham crackers
1 jumbo Cool Whip
2 large boxes (or 3 smaller ones) instant vanilla pudding
5 cups milk **WARNING - DO NOT USE RAW MILK.  I TRIED MAKING THIS A SECOND TIME WITH A NEW SPATULA AND GOT THE SAME PLASTIC TASTING RESULTS.  A CHEMIST FRIEND SAYS IT MUST BE THE POWDERED PUDDING MIX (ALL THAT JUNK IN THERE) REACTING WITH THE ENZYMES AND BACTERIA AND ALL IN THE MILK.  WEIRD, BUT I USED TO MAKE THIS ALL THE TIME WITH DEAD MILK AND IT WAS FINE.  THEN I TRIED REAL MILK AND IT WAS TERRIBLE.  WEIRD!**
Mix pudding mix and milk until thick (mixer or whisk).  Fold in cool whip (NOT with a Pampered Chef spatula, heh heh).   In large glass casserole dish layer graham crackers then pudding mix then repeat again, and then another layer of crackers on top. 

Icing: (I usually double this part - more chocolaty that way!)
1 c. sugar (I use 3/4 c. honey or 1 c. Sucanat)
1/3 c. cocoa
1/4 can evaporated milk ( I DO NOT USE THIS STUFF - I USE ABOUT
                                         1/2 c. REAL MILK)
1 stick butter
1 t. vanilla

Mix sugar, cocoa, and milk in sauce pan.  Bring to boil stirring constantly.  Remove from heat, cool 1 minute and mix in butter until melted, and also add vanilla.  Pour over crackers.  Cover and chill!!!

You want to chill long enough so the crackers are nice and soft.   So it doesn't really work as a last minute thing.  I make it the day before we eat it.  One tip is you can freeze it a few hours, then thaw, and the crackers should be soft.  Also, it is GREAT eaten frozen too! 

**I have tried making this with homemade vanilla pudding and homemade whipped cream but it just doesn't get thick enough for the filling.  I am determined one day to tweak it though and make it work!  I do not like buying packaged stuff! 

« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 05:57:51 AM by Nickole »

Offline merryheart

• Learning
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2007, 03:41:08 AM »
This is a great party recipe - looks fancy in a glass trifle bowl, and is super easy to make.  Not so healthy, but really yummy!

Quick Chocolate Cherry Trifle

2-1/2 cups cold milk

2 pkg. (4-serving size each) Chocolate Pudding mix (or one of chocolate and one vanilla, or white choc)

1 tub (8 oz.) cool whip, thawed, divided

20 Oreo cookies, coarsely chopped (about 2 cups)

1 can ( 21 oz.) cherry pie filling

Mix pudding mixes with milk.  Stir in 1 cup of the whipped topping.

Place 1/2 of cookies in bottom of 2-1/2 quart glass serving bowl. Top with layer of pudding, cherries, cool whip - repeat layers, and garnish top with extra oreo crumbs.
Refrigerate at least 1 hour or until ready to serve. Store leftover dessert in refrigerator.

Offline mercy

• Thankful to be His and his.
  • Adept
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2007, 01:23:20 PM »
Nickole, we have made the chocolate eclair pie (cake?) many times for church suppers and it is always a big hit.  The only thing we do different is in how we layer the crackers and the chocolate on top.  We just put a layer of crackers in the pan, cover with the pudding mixture, then another layer of crackers.  Then we pour on a slightly-warmed can of chocolate fudge frosting, smoothing it out if necessary to cover the crackers.  Then refrigerate, and that's it.  Super easy and we never have any left over!
Psalm 73:25 Whom have I in heaven but thee? and there is none upon earth that I desire beside thee.

Offline floydian

• Master
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2007, 01:34:18 PM »
You could do dirt. 
Chocolate pudding according to package directions.
Cool whip on top of that.
Crushed up oreos on topof cool whip.
Gummy worms on top of that.
Serve with a clean toy red plastic shovel.
And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mine—
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

Offline LKS

• Master
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2007, 01:58:56 PM »
Chocolate Oreo Pie

chocolate cookie piecrust (store bought or homemade)
Instant chocolate pudding
whipped cream or (gag) coolwhip
mini chocolate chips or crushed oreos (or both)
chocolate syrup

Make the pudding according to directions for pie filling, mix in whipped cream, add oreos or choc chips (or both  ;)) fold into pie crust. Let it firm up in the fridge or freezer then spread more whip cream on top, sprinkle with crushed cookies if you like and drizzle with choc syrup. Looks fabulous, tastes yummy and is sooo easy.

LKS

Offline HeyMom

• Adept
    • My journey with Jesus as a young widow, Courage Road
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2007, 01:59:56 PM »
You could do dirt. 

that is so funny - we have done this exact thing - only diff was we served it in a new/clean plastic sand pail also - was a hit!  (can get the pail/shovel cheap at walmart or dollar store)  we call it dirt pudding
For the eyes of the Lord run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show Himself strong on behalf of those whose heart is loyal to Him.
2 Chronicles 16:9
www.courageroad.blogspot.com

Offline floydian

• Master
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2007, 02:12:06 PM »
You could do dirt. 

that is so funny - we have done this exact thing - only diff was we served it in a new/clean plastic sand pail also - was a hit!  (can get the pail/shovel cheap at walmart or dollar store)  we call it dirt pudding

We used flower pots. :D
And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mine—
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

Offline Chickory Chick

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2007, 05:04:21 PM »
Does anyone have a recipe for a frozen type or refrigerated dessert containing, oreos, ice cream, or puddings, cool whip any of these would be great.  My ds and dd have a b-day on Mon. of course everyone wants a different type cake and or dessert and the ds wants something with any or all of the above in his special treat.  I have made something in the past similar but it was just something I made up and cannot remember any details.  It doesn't have to be exactly with these items just basically sweet, chocolate, frozen or cold and of course unhealthy.  thanks bunches!

Hi,

I just finished making an ice cream cake for my youngest ds BD tomorrow.  I used a 1/2 gallon of vanilla & 1/2 gallon of ice cream and a bag of the snack size oreos....which I smushed up in the bag.    I let the ice cream soften then put the chocolate on the bottoms, spread the mashed up cookies in the middle and put the vanilla ice cream on top.  Covered with some plastic wrap then aluminum foil and stuck it back in the freezer.  I made one of these back in March for my dd birthday and it came out great!

HTH...sorry if its too late!

Kay
Chickory Chick fka Kayinpa http://kayinpa.blogspot.com/

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2007, 02:58:40 AM »

I just finished making an ice cream cake for my youngest ds BD tomorrow.  I used a 1/2 gallon of vanilla & 1/2 gallon of ice cream and a bag of the snack size oreos....

I know you didn't mean it this way - But I gotta say after having a half gallon of vanilla, I wouldn't be interested in the ice cream and the cookies.  I would need a nap.

Sarah K

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
  My favorite herb book!!

Nickole

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2007, 03:56:10 AM »
Here's what I would do:

- -  - - - -
- 3 c flour
- 2 c sugar
- 1/3 c cocoa
- 1 t salt
- 2 t soda

Blend above & add:

- 2 c water
- 3/4 c oil
- 2 T vinegar
- 1 t vanilla

Mix well with a fork.  Lince 9x13 pan with parchment paper (found in the foil & placstic wrap seciont) across bottom and all the way up all sides.  Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes ... give or take.

Cool completely.  Then flip it out onto a clan work surface, cooling rack, clean cutting board, something.  slice the whole thing in half the long way.  You're gonna make a huge Ice Cream sandwich.  Put the bottom layer on a cutting board (or back in the 9x13) or something to support it for freezing.  Layer on softened icecream with oreos smashed into it.  Amounts are up to you.  Drizzle some chocolate syrup on the icecream and make sure some is visible from the sides.  Put the top part of the cake back on.  If ya wanna be rally fancy, cut oreos in half and put them in slits cut in the top of the top cake so each piece has a half oreo on it.   You could also put another layer of Ice cream on top like a frosting and then stand up the oreos in that layer.  Depends on how HUGE you want the individual pieces to be.... and how much of this cake you want hanging around after it's first day.

Let freeze until you are ready for it.  I let it sit out for 15 min or so (not in mid summer of course) so I won't need a chainsaw to cut it. 

Sarah K

Ok, I'm gonna try this for her b-day Thursday.  Better work b/c I only have close to 3 cups flour from berries left till August when I get more wheat berries!  Ugh!  Would rye taste good?  Kidding.  We are eating 100% rye bread now though.  Till August...  Anyway, what kind of vinegar should i use?  This is great b/c in our house you GOTTA have ice cream on b-days yet I did not want to make an icing cake  :P, so this sounds good!  We always have the dessert for breakfast on b-days.  Hubby takes off work and we celebrate on THE day (no weekend postponed celebrations here) and celebrate ALL day, from the very beginning!       

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2007, 04:19:58 AM »
I use cheapo white vinegar.  In my neck o the woods, it's called a Wacky Cake.  And it's also called a Crazy Cake.  But in my particular family it's called a Bunny Cake.... cuz my gramma got the recipe from a lady named 'Bunny'.

Nickole

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2007, 07:00:55 AM »
Here's what I would do:

- -  - - - -
- 3 c flour
- 2 c sugar
- 1/3 c cocoa
- 1 t salt
- 2 t soda

Blend above & add:

- 2 c water
- 3/4 c oil
- 2 T vinegar
- 1 t vanilla

Sarah K

This was a TOTAL HIT, SarahK!  I altered it a bit though, in order to use honey.  So if anyone is interested, I used 1 cup honey in place of BOTH cups of sugar (that was sweet enough for us) and used about 1 cup water instead of 2 cups.  Everything else was the same.  Oh, and I lowered the oven temp. 25 degrees.  This made a pretty thick cake so I cut in half lengthwise (in chunks b/c it was very tricky) and basically layered cake, ice cream (Oreo), cake, ice cream. And then wrote in icing on the top after it had been in the freezer a long time (otherwise the icing sinks into the ice cream).  So basically it made an ice cream cake and much better than store bought!  That chocolate cake alone was VERY good!!  So thank you!  My daughter loved it!  We are eating more right now!   

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2007, 05:01:35 AM »
GREAT - I love the adaptation - I'll try it at home.

Oh, and it's a wonderful breakfast cake....

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2007, 01:44:48 PM »
Nickole-  I would think that adding an extra egg yolk ... or 2 would work to stiffin up the home made pudding.  I'm gonna attempt it - but we're eating ultra lo fat stuff for a bit for our son's pancreas, so it may be a while...

Sarah K

CHOCOLATE ECLAIRE

**I have tried making this with homemade vanilla pudding and homemade whipped cream but it just doesn't get thick enough for the filling.  I am determined one day to tweak it though and make it work!  I do not like buying packaged stuff! 

« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 10:28:25 AM by SarahK »

Nickole

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2007, 06:03:41 AM »
Nickole-  I would think that adding an extra egg yolk ... or 2 would work to stiffin up the home made pudding.  I'm gonna attempt it - but we're eating ultra lo fat stuff for a bit for our son's pancreas, so it may be a while...

Sarah K

CHOCOLATE ECLAIRE

I'm going to try this next time, b/c I tried making the Chocolate Eclaire again with a different spatula and I got the same plastic taste.  The filling, after sitting in the fridge for a day (which is what you want to do to soften the crackers) becomes unbearably chemically plasticy tasting BUT I THINK IT IS B/C I USED RAW MILK.  I used to make this recipe ALL the time and then tried again twice recently with raw milk, and had these awful results.  A chemist friend concluded that it must be the milk, and he believes the artificial weird junk in the pudding mix is designed to go with a dead product (store milk) and not enzyme rich, bacteria rich REAL milk.  I think that makes a lot of sense.  SO I posted a warning on the recipe not to use RAW milk, but of course if you make your own pudding for the recipe I am sure it would work.  That's what I'm going to try next, when we get out of poverty after wasting $20 on two flopped desserts, LOL!

Offline naturalgirl

• Adept
  • one insignificant particle, combined
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2008, 10:15:03 AM »
Ok...here's another fancy cake:

Mix:

3 c. uncooked oatmeal (not the instant kind)
2 1/2 c. flour (ww works fine)
1 1/2 t. cinnamon
2t. b. powder
1 1/2 t. soda

Seperately mix and then combine with the above:

1 3/4 c. warm applesauce (warm to melt the lard)
1/4 c. sour cream
2 eggs
1 c. whole milk (or water)
2 T. vinegar
1c. honey
6 T. lard

Pour into a large 9x13 pan (if you have a size larger, that works too, or if you have 2 round pans that works too). Swirl over top of cake:  A 10oz can (or homemade) cooked apple pie filling that has been blended in the blender.

Add this crumble topping:

1/2 c. rolled oats
3T. brown sugar or sucanat
1/4 t. cinnamon
3 T. butter
1/2 c. walnuts, chopped

Bake for about 45 minutes, or until sides of cake are lightly browned. Let cool for about 10 minutes before serving, or, later serve with vanilla pudding. I like it best cold :)