Author Topic: Impetigo: Diagnosis, Causes & Cures  (Read 100888 times)

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
Impetigo: Diagnosis, Causes & Cures
« on: June 07, 2006, 05:43:18 AM »
Hi all,
We seem to have trouble with impetigo every summer. My son has some mosquito bites on his neck, and wouldn't you know it, they got infected and now it's impetigo. Yuck.

I've put tea tree oil on them for 24 hours and have noticed some small improvement, but not much. A friend of mine suggested colloidal silver, and so that is what we're trying today. The way I do it is to soak the pad of a bandaid with tea tree oil or colloidal silver, and then plaster it right over the infected area.

What's so funny is that he's only 10, and with 4 bandaids on his neck, looks like he cut himself shaving... :D  I have to laugh, but poor Jared is not amused... :)

Anybody got any tried and true remedies for this nasty stuff????

Thanks!
"No one stands as tall as a Christian on his knees."
Get $5 off your first iHerb.com order: Code ISA141

Offline Gabe Rising

• Administrator
  • Master
Re: Impetigo: Diagnosis, Causes & Cures
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 06:02:55 AM »
I have no personal experience, however Patchouli oil is almost universally recommended for Impetigo. The following are also recommended listed in this approximate order:

Tea Tree Oil
Lavender Oil
Myrrh Oil

I would also mention that Neem is great for skin and is a strong "bacterial balancer." You might try it as well (it has a strong, distasteful odor, however...)

--gabe

Offline amazonmama2five

• Adept
    • Amazonmamasadventures
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 06:10:16 AM »
Hey Guys!
WHATEVER infection we are fighting at the time is greatly improved by taking 1 clove of garlic in a large spoon of honey.  My kids have come to like the taste!  When anyone gets a sore throat, cut, fever, you name it the first thing we do is take a spoonful and then read for other remedies. 
The How To Herb Book recommends:
Black Walnut tincture to sores. May be used internally.
Garlic oil to sores also internally.
Salt baths to help dry up sores.  1 cup salt to tub of water.
Hope he gets better soon!  We had to deal with this horror when we first got here to Brazil.  It is not fun!  I highly recommend the How To Herb Book.  It is great and SIMPLE.
Lisa
He is no fool that gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.~Jim Elliot
My Intro
Visit our site!

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 06:45:53 AM »
Thanks for all the good info. Yes, I have heard that How to Herb Book is a good resource.

Now, about that neem smell....

Does that stuff come with a clothespin?  :)

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 07:24:48 AM »
OK, I forgot to ask about those 3 oils (tea tree, lavender, myrrh):

Do I mix them together in equal parts, or use one at a time? Is the order important according to strength or anything else?

Also, do I use the patchouli straight or ??

Thanks for the answers.

Offline healthnut

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2006, 11:58:44 PM »
Now, about that neem smell....

Does that stuff come with a clothespin?  :)

I tried the Neem lotion and it was so strong that it gave me a headache and made me nauseous!  :P I wrote the company and they told me to try the cream  which comes in a vanilla or orange scent....not something a boy would probably want.  :D I didn't want to pay $15 for a 2oz bottle so I looked around and found their Neem/Aloe vera gel....Awesome stuff!  8) There is practically no scent, its very mild and smells like Aloe vera (to me  ;) ). Its also cheaper --8oz for about $12 or so.  Very good stuff (clearing up my acne)-- just careful around the eyes as it can sting.

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2006, 01:59:20 AM »
Hi All,
Thanks to everyone who posted. The impetigo does seem to be clearing up, so I'll share what I did:
My son took 1 crushed clove garlic in 1 Tbs. raw honey twice a day (no complaints!), also had him take extra acidophilus
I washed the infected area with colloidal silver 3-4X/day

I also had my herbalist friend mix me up a wonderful ointment that consisted of Golden Salve from Nature's Sunshine (has good stuff in it, like goldenseal), then she added essential oils:
wild oregano, sweet thyme, and frankincense, and mixed well. I am applying this several times a day and especially before bedtime.

Looks like it is clearing up! Praise the Lord!

This is the same son who just two days ago had to have several stitches above his knee due to a bike accident. I put some of that great ointment on the laceration to prevent any infection there, too. *Sigh*....the joy of boys  :-\

Offline amazonmama2five

• Adept
    • Amazonmamasadventures
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2006, 10:43:54 AM »
I just saw your post Mama Sita, way to go!!!  I love it when things work quickly!  My 7 yr. old daughter ASKS for honey everyday so she won't get any "nasty sickness, Mom"  There are days when I have to ask "You've had how much honey?" :o  She is a riot and acts like 7 going on 17 if you know what I mean................ ;)
Anyway, so glad to hear things have cleared up at your house for a while ::)
Lisa
He is no fool that gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.~Jim Elliot
My Intro
Visit our site!

Offline skederbear

• Learning
    • facebook
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2006, 08:00:58 AM »
  My 16 month old son has impetigo on his face,and it is getting pretty bad.  I've been putting bactroban cream on it, that the doctor had prescibed the last time he had it. but it just keeps getting worse.  I also started giving him probiotics friday. Is there anything natural that would make it go away?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2006, 09:11:33 AM »
  My 16 month old son has impetigo on his face,and it is getting pretty bad.  I've been putting bactroban cream on it, that the doctor had prescibed the last time he had it. but it just keeps getting worse.  I also started giving him probiotics friday. Is there anything natural that would make it go away?

http://www.whatreallyworks.co.uk/start/kidszone.asp?article_ID=164

Docs usually give antibiotics because impetigo is caused by staph and/or strep.  I think the probiotics may help and you might want to consider some natural antibiotics to help.  Maybe GSE, garlic, onions, honey, echinacia, tea tree oil, etc.  I googled and didn't find alot, but I think this might be a place to start.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline heatheronthehill

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2006, 11:54:58 AM »
I have gotten impetigo in and around my eye every couple of years since I was just a child.  I don't know of any good natural remedies, but the last time I got it, I didn't have health insurance, so I wanted to avoid getting the prescription cream that I usually got.  I talked to the pharmacist and showed him my several years old prescription cream, and he said that it was just really strong hydrocortisone cream and that I could try using the over-the-counter kind to see if it would take care of it.  I was so relieved when it did!  I caught my impetigo very, very early (at the first blister) last time because I've had it so many times over the years, I knew what it was, so I don't know how well it would work if it has already spread quite a bit.  :(  This may not be terribly helpful, but I thought I would share my experience. 

The tea tree oil sounds very promising!  I'm just getting into natural remedies, so I'd like to get some ideas for the next time around!  :)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2006, 11:58:15 AM by heatheronthehill »

Offline SHERRI REEL

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2006, 02:21:33 PM »
I went to the bulkherbstore.com and typed in impetigo and it came up with black walnut hull- powder.
Sherri
Just learn'n but pioneer at heart.
Sherri

Offline abbilynn

• Master
    • Visit my blog!
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2006, 02:21:51 PM »
Organic coconut oil may help.  That's what my chiropractor told me to do.  But the rash on my son went away when I removed all dairy.  The bactroban worked for a few days, but when the time limit was up, the rash came back.  So try the coconut oil or taking away dairy for awhile and see if that helps.
Wife for 11 years, Mommy to 3 rambunctious boys!!  :)  Lover of Jesus, my hubby, my kids, and learning!
--------------------------------------------------------------
http://glutenfreegoose.blogspot.com/

Offline MomOf6Girls

• Learning
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2006, 03:14:52 PM »
Impetigo is a highly contagious skin disease caused by the streptococcus or staphylococcus bacteria.  Using a cotton ball to apply Melaleuca oil (tea tree oil) to all the pimple and blister areas and then applying a product, that is available through Melaleuca: The Wellness Company, called Mela-Gel or the Renew Intensive Skin Therapy usually helps.   Melaleuca also has laundry detergent and cleaners that are non-toxic and safe even if someone ingests them, but they work VERY well.  Many times I find that they work better than the chemicals that are sold in stores.  They are also quite cost effective and concentrated.  Anyway, that's my two cents worth.  Let us know what finally does the job.... :)
Todd's Help Meet and
Mom to Courtney, Casey, Christin, Carrie, Caylee, Carly, and Camryn (ages 2 months, 4, 6, 8, 10, 14, and 17)

Offline running free

• Learning
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2006, 03:18:40 PM »
Here's what I found:
Traditional remedies- dab the area with cider vinegar throughout the day (antiseptic and astringent)
- clean the area with fresch cabbage juice 2 or 3 times daily (anti-inflammatory, draws out infection)
- honey and garlic are antibiotics that can be taken both externally and internally (since there was a suggestion about coconut oil, you could try making GOOT:http://www.nacd.org/more_information/health/goot.html)
Herbs-heartsease can be used as a wash
-tea tree oil

Good information, geared towards children's healt:http://www.alive.com/2810a9a2.php?subject_bread_cramb=303
gamma-linoeic acids in chamomile, licorice, and evening primrose oil: http://www.mothernature.com/Library/Bookshelf/Books/15/53.cfm
Echinacea, burdock, clivers (internally), myrrh: http://www.richters.com/newdisplay.cgi?page=./QandA/Medicinal/20010506-5.html&cart_id=14660.523Black tea, star anise, and licorice inhibiting staph? http://www.itmonline.org/arts/impetigo.htm
Descriptions of skin-friendly herbs (including impetigo treatments): http://www.mothernature.com/Library/Bookshelf/Books/41/104.cfm
Previous recommendations + goldenseal, calendula, and GSE (scroll down): http://www.herbalremedies.com/impetigo-information.html#4
Marjoram and oregano (sound easy...): http://www.healingfoodreference.com/impetigo.html

Start with the basics (like garlic) and go from there.  Good luck  :)
But the beauty of grace is that it makes life not fair - Relient K

Offline skederbear

• Learning
    • facebook
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2006, 02:05:50 AM »
thanks! I am going to try the melaluca oil first, I think my mother in law keeps that on hand.  I have been using the melaluca cleaning products for about a year now,but hadn't got around to buying and of there other products.   

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2007, 06:55:15 AM »
x
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2007, 08:13:16 AM »
GOOT * GOOT * GOOT * GOOT * GOOT * GOOT * GOOT * GOOT * GOOT * GOOT * GOOT * GOOT * GOOT * GOOT * GOOT * GOOT * GOOT * GOOT *
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 08:18:48 AM by SC »
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Nickole

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2007, 10:31:13 AM »
GOOT * GOOT * GOOT * GOOT * GOOT * GOOT * GOOT * GOOT * GOOT * GOOT * GOOT * GOOT * GOOT * GOOT * GOOT * GOOT * GOOT * GOOT *

Yep, this is what we cleared up impetigo with, and I think you were the once to recommend it on another thread for me SC!  I also used tea tree oil.  And garlic taken internally with honey.

I think it was impetigo.  Never got to the crusty stage or anything. 

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2007, 04:28:21 PM »

it's working great here!  thanks so much for this tried and true recipe that we use for everything!!  we just started putting it on a skin cond. on the back of hubby's neck today, and it's clearing up very nicely!   ;D ;) 8)
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2007, 09:56:44 AM »
Here is a picture* of the "stuff" on my 2yo dd's nose.  I've a feeling it might be impetigo.  >:(  I've been putting GOOT on it; the original big spot seems to look better, but now there are a bunch of little spots  :-\  Can someone confirm to me what this is (as best as can be done by a picture!)

Also, do you recommend sticking with the GOOT of moving to Neosporin type ointment.  And Tea Trea - I've put that on a bit, too.  Any or all?  Thanks so much for all your help!

O!  Also, should I worry?  Is there anything I should look for that would let me know I have to do somethin "drastic" (like take her to the Dr.)?  Thanks bunches!

~Licia

* I'm having trouble uploading a picture...I'm going to contact an administrator, and try again later  :)

sounds like it to me.  i tried the tea tree and it kept it at bay, but not keeping more from popping up.   i kept after it with the GOOT 3 times a day and that's what did it.  i took mine to the dr. to find out what it was, and that's what he said and sent me home with an oral prescription, and an ointment. (both antibiotics)  i had great success with the goot alone and tossed the prescription in the round file!   ;D  it did take a couple weeks for it to go away though.  i would try the GOOT for a week and see if it's mostly better then. 
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline ~esposita~

• Master
    • Family Fotos
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2007, 09:59:26 AM »
GO GOOT!  Thanks, fivewittletids!  I guess I've been hoping that it would go away immediately.  I'll keep at it.  In the mean time, I'll still try to post that picture...

Licia
My attempt at blogging:  The Carpenter's Wife

Offline ~esposita~

• Master
    • Family Fotos
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2007, 02:59:27 AM »
Repost with image
Here is a picture of the "stuff" on my 2yo dd's nose.  I've a feeling it might be impetigo.  >:(  I've been putting GOOT on it; the original big spot seems to look better, but now there are a bunch of little spots  :-\  Can someone confirm to me what this is (as best as can be done by a picture!)

Also, do you recommend sticking with the GOOT or moving to Neosporin type ointment.  And Tea Trea - I've put that on a bit, too.  Any or all?  Thanks so much for all your help!

O!  Also, should I worry?  Is there anything I should look for that would let me know I have to do somethin "drastic" (like take her to the Dr.)?  Thanks bunches!

~Licia
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 03:08:52 AM by bajusabroad »

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2007, 07:00:17 AM »
Repost with image
Here is a picture of the "stuff" on my 2yo dd's nose.  I've a feeling it might be impetigo.  >:(  I've been putting GOOT on it; the original big spot seems to look better, but now there are a bunch of little spots  :-\  Can someone confirm to me what this is (as best as can be done by a picture!)

Also, do you recommend sticking with the GOOT or moving to Neosporin type ointment.  And Tea Trea - I've put that on a bit, too.  Any or all?  Thanks so much for all your help!

~Licia

Sorry!  i just noticed this, as i was looking for info.  no i definitely don't recommend worrying!   ;D  i hope you got yours solved.

my teenage dd has it on one side of her face & it is spreading quickly.  we are using goot and it doesn't seem to be working.  my 3 yo. has some inside her nose, and we've been using goot and it has been working.  but on my other daughter's face it's spreading quickly and very brown/yellow scaley around the edges. 

your picture looks like what my 3 yo.'s looked like.  hers never got scaley or yellow/brown.  and it stayed so i almost couldn't see it in the nose.  i am cleansing all the kids for yeast, so i am wondering if it's die off.  sure is stubborn stuff.   :P 
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 01:52:41 AM by 4myhoonie »

Offline ~esposita~

• Master
    • Family Fotos
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2007, 08:27:54 AM »
Well, its all cleared up!  Neosporin did the trick.  The GOOT kept it at bay, but didn't dry it up.  At least its gone!

Offline Bethany Ann

• Learning
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2007, 04:47:49 PM »
I used tea tree in the early stage and in 5 days its almost gone! WOW!

Thanks,
                                          Bethany Ann

Offline mamanabb

• Learning
    • purelightsoap.com
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2007, 09:48:54 AM »
I have searched for help with this and didn't find anything so I thought  I'd post this question.

Some but not all of my children have had impetigo off and on for months now.  We have been battling it the best way we can, diet, cleanliness, childrens comp, herbal minerals, etc...  I have used tea tree oil right on the sores which works great, I have rinsed their heads with 50/50 vinegar and water once a day but it just keeps coming back!  I have had one of my dd on antibiotics this summer for it but all of my children are allergic to penicilin and I don't want to put them on it if I can help it.  Do I have any other options?  I just can't seem to get rid of it.  We had it last summer and once summer was gone so was the impetigo.  I think it starts out as bug bites which we have tried to keep down to a minimum with Vinegar of the 4 thieves but alas still bites.  I am getting very frustrated with this problem and everything I have read says to go to the doctor.  HELP!

Thanks ladies- Your response and prayers are appreciated.

Cindy

We started Purelight Soap Company out of frustration over the detergent-laden and synthetic soap products you’ll find at your local supermarket.
Treat yourself to Pure...Light...Soap!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2007, 11:21:14 AM »
I would feed them lots and lots of raw garlic and probiotics.  Check these threads for ideas on how to get the garlic into the kids.

GOOT - Garlic Oil Ointment [Treatment]
Garlic Ice Cream ***
Garlic Tea for kids
My favorite way to take garlic is.....
Garlic "dosages" for kids
Garlic Poultice: Recipes, Tips & Tricks
Garlic Enemas: Recipes, Tips & Tricks

Other natural antibiotics include colloidal silver, olive leaf extract, lavender, eucalyptus, and grapefruit seed extract to name a few.

Here's some information I found which might offer some insight as well.

Impetigo is a highly infectious skin disorder caused by the staphylococcus or streptococcus bacteria and is usually found around the lips, chin, nose and ears. Characterised by small and fragile pus-filled blisters; once these break open, it leaves the infectious and weepy sores which will eventually dry to form a crusted scab. More common in kids than adults, impetigo can follow an injury such as sunburn or an insect bite that causes a break in the skin, thus allowing the infection to take hold.

The conventional treatment is antibiotics, but natural remedies can be just as effective - especially if you adopt a comprehensive programme designed to support not only the immune system, but also the digestive and lymphatic systems, as well as your child’s emotional frame of mind.

Poor hygiene does not cause this condition - it is the fluid in the blisters that transmit the disease. That said, it is helpful to keep the skin clean. Impetigo is so contagious it can be passed on via clothing so during an infection, discreetly keep your child’s towels, bed linen, face cloths and clothing separate.

If you suspect an impetigo infection in an infant, especially a newborn, contact your doctor immediately.

What to do

In older kids, bring the infection under control by bathing the affected areas in a dilution of tea tree oil (dilute 10 drops in one cup of warm water) and bathe several times a day. Use the super-strength Desert Essence brand, which is eco-harvested, 100% organic, and as pure as you can get. Pat dry with a paper towel, which you must then discard.

Supplementing the diet with essential fatty acids (EFAs) will also help. These work to support the adrenal glands, which sit atop the kidneys and produce hormones to help fight infection and reduce inflammation. Vegetable oils are a good source of EFAs, as are oily fish but if you want a vegetarian source, use flaxseed or evening primrose oils. The B vitamins are known as nature’s own stress-busters, so find a quality multisupplement and B complex to supply these. Vitamin A, which maintains healthy skin, can also help fight this infection.

Vitamin C has anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties. Take advantage of its natural synergy with the bioflavonoid quercetin, which will also reduce inflammation and give these two nutrients combined. Activated Quercetin made by Source Naturels combines quercetin with vitamin C. It costs £13.99 for 50 capsules. If not available at your local health store, mail order from the Nutri Centre (0800-587 2290). Zinc will also boost the immune system so, again, give an age-appropriate daily dose.

The over-the-counter homeopathic remedy for impetigo is Arum triphyllum. For the best long-term results and to help prevent reinfection, consult a qualified homeopath who can prescribe a tailor-made regimen that will include a constitutional remedy factoring in your child’s personality as well as medical history.

Try to discourage scratching at the sores, as this will spread the infection. Use mittens - especially at night - with very young children who cannot resist temptation or don’t understand why they must not scratch.

from http://www.whatreallyworks.co.uk/start/kidszone.asp?article_ID=164
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline mamanabb

• Learning
    • purelightsoap.com
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2007, 03:23:36 PM »
Thank you for your advice.  So far we are impetigo free for one week!! Yippee  We did it all.  Garlic tea, GSE, Tea tree oil, tea tree shampoo, and followed up with Kefir.   We cut sugar out completely and  tried to eat only God food. 

Just thought I'd let you know...
In Him
Cindy
We started Purelight Soap Company out of frustration over the detergent-laden and synthetic soap products you’ll find at your local supermarket.
Treat yourself to Pure...Light...Soap!

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2007, 03:17:49 AM »
My doctor told me to treat impetego with a triple antibiotic ointment.