Author Topic: Lunch [Dinner] Menus & Recipes  (Read 22426 times)

Offline refreshed

• Adept
    • Haven Baptist Fellowship
Re: Lunch [Dinner] Menus & Recipes
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2006, 09:14:51 AM »
Thanks for the ideas!  I have thought of doing burritos (and I have tried it).  He generally will eat only the meat and leave the shell though, so it's always a gamble when fixing them.  No, he can't have beans.   :(   Also, generally speaking, most tuna is packed in vegetable (soy) oil, and he is allergic to soy.  And if it is packed in water, most cans contain the warning that they use soy somewhere in the process (don't ask me why!).  ???   He is also allergic to eggs, which also leaves out mayonnaise.  He can have corn tortillas, but only if I make them because the pre-packaged ones are cooked in vegetable (soy) oil.  I have done a lot of mexican, so I will check out the thread.  Thanks for the advice!  Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Check out our family's and church website:
www.havenbaptistfellowship.com

For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. (Rom 6:23)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2006, 03:08:04 PM »
Ever try egg roll wraps (you have to cook these) or rice paper (you don't have to cook this) as an alternative to tortillas?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline refreshed

• Adept
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2006, 08:26:38 AM »
No, I've never tried egg roll wraps or rice paper.  Are the wraps really made from eggs?  Where would I find something like this?

For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. (Rom 6:23)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2006, 02:16:52 PM »
No, I've never tried egg roll wraps or rice paper.  Are the wraps really made from eggs?  Where would I find something like this?

I don't know if they have eggs in them, honestly.  They are also called wanton wrappers.  I would check the Asian market.  Rice paper, I think, is a typically Vietnamese food and wanton wrappers, more Chinese, although many of the cultures use them.

I looked up eggroll wrappers.  Yes they have eggs in them.  You could try filo(phyllo) dough (this one is Greek).  CLICK HERE for the ingredients.  Another Greek bread is pita.  I don't think there are any eggs in this one either.

What about Jewish unleavened breads.  I don't know much about these, but it might be worth looking into. 

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 02:35:42 PM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline refreshed

• Adept
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2006, 04:33:49 PM »
Healthybratt,

I have used pita bread and the ingredients for phyllo dough are fine.  I will have to try that.  Unleavened bread should be fine too, as long as the oil isn't soy.  Thanks for the help!

refreshed

Offline chrysalyde

• Adept
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2006, 11:21:43 AM »
Hello,
this is an old thread but if I've undertood correctly, it is not permitted to start a new one on something that has already been discussed...I hope I'll get an answer anyway !

My question concerns the method of not giving anything else to eat to a child until he has eaten what was originally served. How old can a child be when you start doing that ? My son had a picky eating bout at one point when he was about 18-20 months. I didn't dare try that method because I wasn't sure if he would understand it. Also, if we tried to force him to eat, he would start gagging and throw up which would make a big mess to clean up and leave his stomach empty. Right now he's being a good eater, I just want to be ready when the problem arises again with him or another child.

I love your lunch ideas ! They sound so delicious and quick to prepare. In my culture we have vegetable soup for supper, so we have to have a more consistant hot meal for lunch (meat, veggies and rice/potatoe/pasta). I can't imagine having a big meal for supper (ugh, going to bed with all that to digest ??), but the quick&easy lunches do look tempting...

Offline here-n-there-a-little

• Adept
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2006, 11:43:49 AM »
My daughter is 18 months and within limits we require her to eat what we eat.  We let her determine how much she wants to eat, but we do not give her seperate food.  The exceptions to this includes foods that are choking hazards, foods that she reacts/allergic to, when she is sick, etc.  If she chooses not to eat it, she does not get 'snacks' until the next scheduled 'meal' or 'snack'.  All this to say that we do not 'snack' all day long (unless Nanny gets a hold of her  ;) and we do not cater to her.  She really handles it quite well.  Only once do I remember that it was an issue and she QUICKLY learned from it.  On that particular incident she decided that she didn't want her breakfast, she ended up sleeping through a morning snack and woke up to lunch time.  At lunch time, she decided that she didn't want luch either (ate just a few bites).  These foods were nothing out of the ordinary to her either.  She had a small (measured) snack and then by dinner she was VERY crabby.  I mean VERY.  When we sat down to eat, she ATE!!  We never had problems before that and haven't had any after!

I think we have always had that type of philosophy during her life whether it was eating some solids (and nursing) every couple of hours all the way to the current schedule.  She has always responded well.  Hope that helps!

Offline Mom2four

• Adept
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2007, 08:42:41 AM »
My daughter just made me a sandwich for lunch that was absolutely delicious and I just have to share with you guys.

First she made hummus.  The recipe for that is:

1 can of garbanzo beans (drain and reserve the liquid)
1/2 cup tahini
2T lemon juice
3 cloves of garlic
1/4 of a small onion
2 tsp. cumin
dash of red pepper (depending on how hot you want it)
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. olive oil

I blend this all together in my vita mix, adding the liquid from the beans to make it however thick or thin I want.

Then, she spread the hummus on slices of fresh spelt bread (any bread obviously would work), she also spread a thin layer of veganaise, slices of fresh avacado, and a slice of mozzerella cheese.  She put a little butter on the top layer of bread and put the whole sandwich in the oven for just a couple of minutes to heat up.

It was delicious!!  Enjoy!

Offline natural

• Adept
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2007, 09:05:19 AM »
I had a pretty good protein-packed one today too.

1 can chicken breast (looks like a can of tuna) you could use plain chicken breast
2 stalks celery
2-3 T cream cheese
4 T sour cream
2 hard boiled eggs chopped
1 T prepared mustard
2 T chopped onion
chopped pickle
salt and pepper to taste
4 yo Maciah: Mamma I am scared the wind is howling.
Me: Go to sleep Jesus will protect you.
4 yo Maciah: (stretching his chin to chest) But, but I can't see Jesus my head can't reach into my heart.

Offline smalltown mom

• Adept
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2007, 03:01:10 PM »
Back to the picky eating subject--we've had a HUGE problem with our 6yo son pertaining to trying new foods. We've honestly tried everything, and he's content to just go hungry indefinitely (so we really don't do this method anymore). Naturally, he starts feeling weak and nauseated when he hasn't eaten, but that is still not enough to motivate him to eat. Also, the strangest thing, he wakes up at night complaining of knee pain when he has not eaten enough that day.

He honestly acts scared to death of the food put in front of him. Even if it's something familiar that I've served time and again, it is still the same painful process over and over to get him to eat a few bites. We used to sit at the table for hours before he'd take a bite, and he was more afraid of the food than discipline. Now at least he'll take bites without the punishment, but it's still an ordeal that involves crying most times and acting like he's going to gag on the food.

We really have no other discipline problems with him, and he doesn't have any other irrational fears--just foods. 

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2007, 04:55:26 PM »
We really have no other discipline problems with him, and he doesn't have any other irrational fears--just foods. 
What about sensory issues?

It's a thought.

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,5174.0.html
  My favorite herb book!!

YoopreMama

« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2007, 06:09:17 AM »
I took a can of Progresso split pea soup last week, added a can of pinto beans and a can of black beans to stretch it out...it was really good.  I've used cans of soup as a quick soup base before (added veggies and the like to it), but this one was really good. 

YoopreMama

« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2007, 03:05:22 AM »
In the same vein of stretching out canned food in a pinch....

I took a tall can of Bush's Baked Beans, and added a can of black beans and a can of pintos (drained)...added our chopped up hot dogs and was able to bring a quick potluck lunch dish last minute (children AND parents liked it).  We were thinking corn would be good in there (we ate ours w/ tortilla chips), and maybe sour cream...

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2007, 05:09:11 AM »
In the same vein of stretching out canned food in a pinch....

I took a tall can of Bush's Baked Beans, and added a can of black beans and a can of pintos (drained)...added our chopped up hot dogs and was able to bring a quick potluck lunch dish last minute (children AND parents liked it).  We were thinking corn would be good in there (we ate ours w/ tortilla chips), and maybe sour cream...

Browned hamburger & baked beans are good also. It's even better if you cook lots of chopped onion & garlic with the hamburger before adding the beans. Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2008, 09:21:55 AM »
This looks like the best thread to put this recipe on.  I posted this in the 'Chat' thread but don't want to incur the wrath of a moderator - so here it is! 

Navajo Fry bread

I make a large amount as the dough keeps nicely in the 'frig for several days.     

4 cups flour   (I use about 2/3 wh. wheat and 1/3 white)
         1 1/2 Tbs. baking powder
         1 or 2 tsp. salt
         appx. 1 1/2 cups water    (I like to add whey or yogurt, also)

Mix well.  Dough should be a bit soft and sticky.  Cover for several hours at room temperature. 
   Lightly flour a flat surface and knead the dough until it is elastic and handles well.  Take a piece about the size of a med. lemon (?) and flatten and stretch it until it's uniformly thin.  *you should be able to see light through it*  You can also roll it out with a rolling pin.  Let it rest a little bit - I make several ahead. 
   Heat oil of choice in a skillet for deep frying - about an inch deep.  When oil sizzles immediately when a piece of dough is put in, it's ready.  Fry each round of dough until lightly browned, turn and fry other side.   Remove from pan to paper covered surface to drain. 

I like to put grated cheese on the bread while it's hot and eat it with onions and salsa.  We often have this for a meal with beans and cheese.   Some people also sprinkle the hot bread with sugar, powdered sugar, or honey.
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2008, 06:52:12 PM »
This looks like the best thread to put this recipe on.  I posted this in the 'Chat' thread but don't want to incur the wrath of a moderator - so here it is! 

Navajo Fry bread

I make a large amount as the dough keeps nicely in the 'frig for several days.     

4 cups flour   (I use about 2/3 wh. wheat and 1/3 white)
         1 1/2 Tbs. baking powder
         1 or 2 tsp. salt
         appx. 1 1/2 cups water    (I like to add whey or yogurt, also)

Mix well.  Dough should be a bit soft and sticky.  Cover for several hours at room temperature. 
   Lightly flour a flat surface and knead the dough until it is elastic and handles well.  Take a piece about the size of a med. lemon (?) and flatten and stretch it until it's uniformly thin.  *you should be able to see light through it*  You can also roll it out with a rolling pin.  Let it rest a little bit - I make several ahead. 
   Heat oil of choice in a skillet for deep frying - about an inch deep.  When oil sizzles immediately when a piece of dough is put in, it's ready.  Fry each round of dough until lightly browned, turn and fry other side.   Remove from pan to paper covered surface to drain. 

I like to put grated cheese on the bread while it's hot and eat it with onions and salsa.  We often have this for a meal with beans and cheese.   Some people also sprinkle the hot bread with sugar, powdered sugar, or honey.

This is a family favorite here! We tear it in pieces as a base for Mexican Mountains (or Haystacks, or whatever you call it) instead of corn chips and toss the leftovers in a bag with powdered sugar and cinnamon for a treat.