Author Topic: Spirulina differences  (Read 10367 times)

Offline LilyEilis

• Adept
Spirulina differences
« on: June 13, 2006, 02:28:27 PM »
Hello...

I've been taking Spirulina, along with SuperMom for a couple months now, and even though the change isn't as drastic as I thought it would be, I can tell that it's helping my overall health, etc.  So...when my bottles run out, I definitely want to get more Spirulina at least...  However, I was told that Wal-Mart sells Spirulina (with Blue-Green Algae) for a little under $5 a bottle and I wouldn't have to pay shipping.  I have yet to actually see this product so I don't know how many servings per bottle, etc. so that obviously would affect price comparisons...but in what ways is Beeyoutiful Spirulina superior to other generic Spirulinas and similar products?   I still might buy my Spirulina from Beeyoutiful just so that I would support them and not Wal-Mart...but I'm not exactly swimming in the cash, either, so any ways to save money are great!  Thanks for any info!
"...Jesus Christ, whom having not seen you love. Though now you do not see Him, yet believing, you rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory, receiving the end of your faith—the salvation of your souls." ~1 Peter 1:7f-9

Offline Gabe Rising

• Administrator
  • Master
Re: Spirulina differences
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 05:47:46 AM »
There are MANY kinds of Blue Green Algae... and Spirulina is only one Species... however there are many Blue Green Algae that have been found to be beneficial to humans.

The intriguing thing about Spirulina is that unlike other BlueGreen Algae, it does not have a "planty" cellulose cell wall... it has a soft cell wall made of sugars and proteins which in itself seems to contain healing properties. Other BlueGreen Algae needs to have its cell walls broken before any part can be digested by humans. This is probably why other BlueGreen Algae were not ever used as food sources by indigenous peoples.

My personal recommendation would be to do a little more research and try to avoid buying your supplements at Walmart!

Beeyoutiful.com does have a great Spirulina... it is grown in a very natural environment, and the mineral supplies are completely natural. It is carefully controlled to avoid growth of microcystins or other contaminants.

If you are looking for other high quality sources of Spirulina, I would suggest companies that buy Spirulina from protected farms in Hawaii like we do, or from Klamath Lake, OR. There is also plenty of Spirulina harvested in Mexico and in China, and I presume that these are good sources as well, although I think that US sources are generally safer.

--gabe

Offline LilyEilis

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 06:19:40 AM »
My personal recommendation would be to do a little more research and try to avoid buying your supplements at Walmart!

Thanks for the informative reply, Gabe!  I really have done NO research on this at all (unless you call reading the NGJ article on Spirulina, "research"!)...but I was just curious in what ways your (i.e. Beeyoutiful's) Spirulina was superior.  And yes...I too was iffy on buying a supplement from Wal-Mart! 
"...Jesus Christ, whom having not seen you love. Though now you do not see Him, yet believing, you rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory, receiving the end of your faith—the salvation of your souls." ~1 Peter 1:7f-9

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 06:37:40 AM »
And yes...I too was iffy on buying a supplement from Wal-Mart! 

:-\  Walmart is my favorite place to shop.  You guys keep knockin' my shopping skills.  LOL
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline LilyEilis

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 07:55:24 AM »
And yes...I too was iffy on buying a supplement from Wal-Mart! 

:-\  Walmart is my favorite place to shop.  You guys keep knockin' my shopping skills.  LOL

Sorry...I shop at Wal-Mart a lot too...just would question the quality of their supplements!

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2006, 04:39:36 PM »
I was wondering if it would be okay for children to take the supermom until the superkid becomes available. No doubt someone has asked that somewhere.  maybe a 1/4 of a pill?  I have 3,5,7. and 10 and I know they could all swallow that but I thought I read somewhere about iron. Woudl that be too much for them? 

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2006, 05:31:46 PM »
I was wondering if it would be okay for children to take the supermom until the superkid becomes available. No doubt someone has asked that somewhere.  maybe a 1/4 of a pill?  I have 3,5,7. and 10 and I know they could all swallow that but I thought I read somewhere about iron. Woudl that be too much for them? 

Not for children under 6.  CLICK HERE for the thread on this topic.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2006, 05:40:26 PM »
That would be okay, I think. The amount of iron that is in the average kid's vitamin is... 5 mg per serving, and there's only 10 mg in SM. A child under six years of age usually can't swallow a pill, but you, as the mom should know. We put the warning on the bottle because some mommies are clueless about what their kids are capable of...

And when they say "iron poisoning is the leading cause of poisoning fatalies for children under six" they are almost always talking about kids finding and eating a handfull of high potency iron supplements which contain 30 mg of iron, or more, per pill. The USRDA recommended iron dosage for kids under 4 years is 10 mg a day.

One child's death via iron poisoning occured by ingesting "as much as 200 mg of iron" - but in most cases it takes much more. So for a kid to get iron poisoning from Supermom pills he'd have to eat at least 20 tabs.  :P :P :P

And, if you have a 3 year old that can swallow a quartered Supermom pill, he's already a Superkid!

Rebekah
Honey Sunny in complete exasperation:
"JOE!!! You DOUGHNUT COCONUT COCONUT COCONUT!!!"

Offline Bev

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2006, 11:39:18 AM »
I just recieved my supermom tablets in the mail today and I just took one about 35 minutes ago. Its fun sitting here waiting to feel different. LOL!  I am not looking forward to the detox symptoms I read about. Do you think it would be too much to take spirulina with the supermom tabs if your pregnant? I am six months or so pregnant.  For years I have fought fatigue and it really robs me. I want to be fun and energetic for my kids.

Bev

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2006, 12:26:41 PM »
Welcome Bev!

I hope you do see some difference from the Spirulina/Supermom, but if you hang around here for long, you will discover there are other possible problems that lead to fatigue, and that you may need to do a cleanse, the Water Cure, or a Yeast-free routine for a while. Supermom isn't a miracle drug - just a step in the right direction  ;)

Welcome to our forum!

Rebekah
Honey Sunny in complete exasperation:
"JOE!!! You DOUGHNUT COCONUT COCONUT COCONUT!!!"

Offline bahamamama

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2006, 11:13:31 AM »
Hi I take Green Vibrance that has 1500 mg Spirulina per serving.  I have heard great things about the Super Mom Pills.  Would this be to much together???  What are the benefits of the Super Mom Pill vs Green Vibrance?? ???
Thanks

Offline Bev

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2006, 06:50:50 AM »
Thankyou for good advice. Today is day three of taking them and suprizingly the detox symtoms are not too bad. I'm sure everyone will be different. Whew those pills do not smell good. I mean I know it's not meant for sniffing but we are having fun taking turns sniffing in the bottle. The kids that can smell the longest are the strongest. And I gave a special prize for whoever would sniff it. So far my three year old is stronger than the ten and nine year old.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 06:55:18 AM by Bev »

Offline MQM

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2006, 02:16:15 AM »
...My personal recommendation would be to do a little more research and try to avoid buying your supplements at Walmart!

Beeyoutiful.com does have a great Spirulina... it is grown in a very natural environment, and the mineral supplies are completely natural. It is carefully controlled to avoid growth of microcystins or other contaminants.

If you are looking for other high quality sources of Spirulina, I would suggest companies that buy Spirulina from protected farms in Hawaii like we do, or from Klamath Lake, OR. There is also plenty of Spirulina harvested in Mexico and in China, and I presume that these are good sources as well, although I think that US sources are generally safer.

--gabe

I read that the microcystins are more commonly found in the non-spirulina, blue-green algae.  I purchased some spirulina from Vitamin Shoppe, Nature's Way brand.  Product Description says...
Encapsulated Spirulina grown in environmentally controlled cement ponds specially constructed for this purpose.

Should I be concerned about contaminants? (I think I read that these can affect the liver.  This concerns me because I bought them for my dad who has diabetes and he obviously doesn't need something that will adversely affect his liver.)

Can anyone attest to the reputation of this brand-Nature's Way?  I have no idea. I know I should have done the proper research beforehand, but I needed it ASAP as a "gift" for my dad's birthday.  (I know, ODD "GIFT". :-[  Since he has not been much involved in my life, I am not aware of his likes/dislikes or needs/wants, and after we had been talking about it for his diabetes I thought I would grab some for him.) 

Beeyoutiful obviously has a much better deal with more efficacy and potency and I would prefer it.  However, I procrastinated too long while I deliberated whether I should pay for product, shipping and handling for him to tell me that he would/could not use it.  :-\ 

Someone please let me know if there is potential danger with his diabetes.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 10:22:54 AM by Meek & Quiet Mommy »

Offline MQM

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2006, 10:23:47 AM »
BUMP!  ;)  Anyone?  Anyone?