Author Topic: Lochia - What is normal for you?  (Read 58592 times)

Offline Shady Lane

• Adept
Lochia - What is normal for you?
« on: June 30, 2007, 09:59:30 AM »
I'm just wondering what is the normal range for having lochia?  The only stories I ever hear are from the ones who had it end 'amazingly fast'.  I'm definitely not in that category, and sometimes I wonder if I should be concerned about how long it lasts, or is it just normal?

My midwife told me that 'my body will tell me when I've overdone it by having an increase in bleeding.'  I know that is true because I overdid it a lot with my first baby!  :P  But now I'm wondering what's up this time.  I had very little bleeding to start off, and within a couple of days it had tapered off to slightly bloody mucus . . . but around two weeks post partum, the mucus ended and now I'm left with just blood.  It isn't much, maybe 1/2 -1 tablespoon a day, usually in the afternoon.  It really has me stumped, I don't think I'm doing too much (I'm trying not to do anything that isn't necessary), and it is so consistent that I don't think it's really related to how much I'm doing anyway.  So is this just normal?

I'd love to hear from any midwives or doulas who are on here, but I want to hear from other Mom's too!

Offline CountyCork

• Master
Re: Lochia - What is normal for you?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 10:21:13 AM »
Super normal!  Way normal!  Just like me normal!  Mine tapers, then picks up, then tapers, then picks up.  Then disappears, then comes back.  It sometimes takes 3-4 weeks to completely end.  Afternoon is a typical time for increase.  Mom is tired, milk is lower, hormones are moving around, water needs to increase.  We don't realize what "I'm really not doing very much" really means!  We ALL do way too much post partum.  My midwife told me that in some cultures the new mom stays in her home (or hut or tent!) and the women in the village take turns bringing food, caring for children, and giving her an hour long full body massage each day for at least a month!  Sign me up!
So listen to your body, that's true.  Red blood means lay down, drink water, nurse and rest.  If it's still there at 6 weeks, be drastic!
I am a mother of 6, my youngest is 5 months.  I am 40.

Offline sweetestday

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007, 10:39:53 AM »
For me it was six to eight weeks. So much for missing nine months' worth of periods during pregnancy! Then with baby #1, I got my period back 2 weeks after I finally stopped bleeding. My mom never got hers back till she weaned us kids at two years old. Now I know why she nursed us that long!
Back to the main topic, though, yeah... it would come and go, but I'm sure I did way too much work too soon.

Offline homesteadmommy

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 04:33:04 PM »
I had that problem with my last baby too and I was frustrated because I thought I was doing all the right things and was so glad that I was healing so well - I knew that I wasn't overdoing it because I had a helper and I was trying to do nothing but take care of baby and I felt really great.  One of my midwife friends explained to me that the placenta sight is a "wound" and it can scab over quite quickly after birth and that sometimes that scab lets loose and hence renewed bleeding. It made sense and it gave me peace of mind.

Offline floydian

• Master
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 05:53:49 PM »
I had that problem with my last baby too and I was frustrated because I thought I was doing all the right things and was so glad that I was healing so well - I knew that I wasn't overdoing it because I had a helper and I was trying to do nothing but take care of baby and I felt really great.  One of my midwife friends explained to me that the placenta sight is a "wound" and it can scab over quite quickly after birth and that sometimes that scab lets loose and hence renewed bleeding. It made sense and it gave me peace of mind.

Ditto.

My midwife told me the same thing.  I've pretty much done this with all of them for at least six weeks--lately up to 8.
And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mine—
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

Offline westernmama

• Adept
    • Cheap Pregnancy Tests
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2007, 12:56:04 PM »
ShadyLane, I wish I had very little bleeding to start off with.  Were you taking rrl  postpartum?  I've wondered if perhaps I should next time.  Last baby I bled pretty heavy and had several huge clots for the first couple days.  :-\ 

Usually, my lochia lasts for around 4 weeks or so.  Comes and goes, heavy and light.  So you sound pretty normal.  :)

Offline blessedmommy

• Learning
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2007, 01:31:42 PM »
ok, i am 4 weeks postpartum and at 2 weeks it had pretty much tapered off to nothing, did not need more than one pad a day. well about a week ago i started passing fairly large clots again, very black ones, and lots of very dark bleeding. more than my normal period. i have never had a cloth pad fail me during my normal cycles, but they are now. the bleeding is constant all day. i am doing quite a bit, but only out of necessity. i am the only one here during the week. please help, i am getting a bit nervous

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2007, 01:43:46 PM »
oh I would get checked out ... OB, midwife? did you have an attendant at your birth you can call...I was just reading about this sort of thing in my midwife books last night...well...you said a pad fails you...I guess what do you mean by that are you soaking more than 1 pad in an hour?

Offline blessedmommy

• Learning
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2007, 02:10:22 PM »
well, i delivered at the hospital, but the doctor did not make it in time. the nurse said i did it all on my own while she prepared the things for delivery. the doctor who showed up finally checked my placenta and all was seen as well. as far as the pad failing, i am only using about 5 or 6 a day but when i stand up i usually feel a bit of a gush and when i go to the bathroom to check my pad it is soaked through most of the time. i hope that makes sense.

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2007, 02:27:10 PM »
well, i delivered at the hospital, but the doctor did not make it in time. the nurse said i did it all on my own while she prepared the things for delivery. the doctor who showed up finally checked my placenta and all was seen as well. as far as the pad failing, i am only using about 5 or 6 a day but when i stand up i usually feel a bit of a gush and when i go to the bathroom to check my pad it is soaked through most of the time. i hope that makes sense.
Hey there! Congrats on the new baby.  :-* Am getting anxious to meet our new little one...
Although what your experiencing may be within the normal range it would be good if you could rest just a little more. I know I know  ;) but a bit of care now and you'll not deal with so many "consequences" in the next few months.
As far as the gush when you stand up- that could be pooling either in the uterus or vaginal canal... Are you still nursing frequently? What you don't want is to lose uterine tone while doing so much that healing is delayed. NO LIFTING anything heavier than the baby ( even if that means making extra trips to the wash line  ;)) until the lochia stops. HTH and here's to wishing you a quick recovery!

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2007, 03:12:15 PM »
well if you're not soaking more than one pad in an hour that doesn't sound quite as bad...the gush yeah, probably is just from  pooling if you're sitting/resting for a little bit. I would check on it though if you can more so because your bleeding practically stopped and than started back up pretty heavy. All the placenta was there though...I also meant to ask that...so at least that probably isn't the problem. If you don't want to go get  checked I would just make sure to rest as much as possible (do you have older kids or neighbors or friends who can help), kept an eye on the bleeding to make sure it doesn't get worse, and  drink lots of water and take lots of  v-c/propolis/gse/coconut oil-stuff to prevent infection basically. that's my thoughts at least...Hope you are feeling better soon!!

Offline Jemima

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2008, 11:35:41 AM »
Ok, I read through this, but still have to ask... 

What if you have bleeding that's like a medium period (for me) that keeps on from birth to now 2 wks post-partum?  It looks exactly the same color as when I have my period. (red)  Last time, with my longer labor, longer pushing time and slower overall time to get back on my feet, it was a very, very light flow, pinkish in color.

I am doing more than I did w/my first, but I have felt better w/more energy, and I have a 13 mo. old to help keep up with too. (Dad is being a big help).

I'm a little concerned that it's not lightenend up yet.  Would you be worried or call your doctor?

Offline MamaSong

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2008, 12:06:20 PM »
Ok, I read through this, but still have to ask... 

What if you have bleeding that's like a medium period (for me) that keeps on from birth to now 2 wks post-partum?  It looks exactly the same color as when I have my period. (red)  Last time, with my longer labor, longer pushing time and slower overall time to get back on my feet, it was a very, very light flow, pinkish in color.

I am doing more than I did w/my first, but I have felt better w/more energy, and I have a 13 mo. old to help keep up with too. (Dad is being a big help).

I'm a little concerned that it's not lightenend up yet.  Would you be worried or call your doctor?

I would recommend cutting way back on your activity level for a day or two and see what happens...I know...easier said than done.  Just because you have the energy doesn't mean that you should be using it just yet.  If there's no change after a couple days of extra rest, you may wish to see your doctor.  You could be retaining a piece of the placenta.

Offline floydian

• Master
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2008, 12:14:46 PM »
I know with some of the latter babies, I didn't start cutting back on it till at least three weeks.  They have all been different.

I would feel so good with some of them, that I'd get really busy and start bleeding really heavy and have to stop for a couple of days.

I agree with Mamasong, try cutting back some, and sit and hold the baby. :-* ;)
And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mine—
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2008, 01:38:44 PM »
Baby #1- bled for 5 1/2 weeks after the birth.

Baby #2- Bled for 5 weeks heavy. I thought the heaviness would never stop. Then suddenly it mellowed out about in the 5th week and then suddently stopped.

Offline Sparkys9

• Adept
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2008, 04:11:41 PM »
Well, all the books say 2 weeks is "normal". I almost always have it for 6 weeks. This time it started really tapering off before 2 weeks and looks like it may be over at 3 weeks. I intend to start working back into my normal work load a bit at a time tomorrow, so I'll have to see how that effects things. I am using cloth pads this time. That cut down on my period 2 days while I was still cycling before I got pg with Esther. That's why I decided to use them for my postpartum time. That's really the only difference from this time and all the others.
I can do all things through Christ which strentheneth me. Phillipians 4:13

Offline mammamaude

• Adept
  • Our newest gifts from God!
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2008, 04:21:29 PM »
I hope this is the right place to post my question...
I am 8 weeks postpartum, and I STILL have discharge, is this normal?
I had a cesarean delivery, and the bleeding was never as "heavy" as it was with a vaginal delivery.  At 2 weeks, it completly stopped for a 2 days, then it started again (I presumed it was because of increased activity level.)  It would go from bright red to pink, but never was brown.  For the past 2 weeks, it has been yellow or orange tinted.  It isn't very much discharge, but it is enough that I need to wear a thin pad.  Should I be concerned?
Thanks.
-Sarah

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2008, 04:43:15 PM »
I think both times (c-section and vag delivery) I have had that type discharge for about 7 weeks.
Then for a few weeks it would even be clear..... So, I don't really know.... except to say that sounds like my experience.... But I might not be considered normal either.  ;) And you had twins, maybe more to bleed.  ???

Offline mammamaude

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2008, 05:16:37 PM »
I think both times (c-section and vag delivery) I have had that type discharge for about 7 weeks.
Then for a few weeks it would even be clear..... So, I don't really know.... except to say that sounds like my experience.... But I might not be considered normal either.  ;) And you had twins, maybe more to bleed.  ???
Ok, so I'm not normal...at least I'm not alone (hehehe) :D

Do women who have twins bleed more? ???

Offline jhandrh

• Adept
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2008, 07:02:07 AM »
I can't help you with the twin thing--my babies were singletons--but I had something similar, also with some bleeding, off/on for about 10 wks after my 3rd baby.  After checking for, and ruling out, retained placenta (I had retained placenta w/ 2nd baby) my dr decided that the bleeding was due to the uterine lining being thin from breastfeeding.
But I have been diagnosed w/ PCOS so would not necessarily be considered normal either.  ;D  And especially not if you ask my hubby!  :D ::)

Offline mommyoftwins

• Adept
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2008, 08:21:42 AM »
Maybe you should try taking kelp a couple times a day. It's supposed to dry all that up. I started taking it right after delivery and kept taking it for several days. My flow got lighter rather quickly after the first week, almost gone. Then, I stopped taking the kelp because I didn't realize I was supposed to keep taking it, & I was still bleeding at 5 weeks. The midwife asked if I was still taking kelp....no....She said it should dry it right up. So, I started taking it again & was all dried up in a couple days. HTH!

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2008, 10:37:13 AM »
Maybe you should try taking kelp a couple times a day. It's supposed to dry all that up. I started taking it right after delivery and kept taking it for several days. My flow got lighter rather quickly after the first week, almost gone. Then, I stopped taking the kelp because I didn't realize I was supposed to keep taking it, & I was still bleeding at 5 weeks. The midwife asked if I was still taking kelp....no....She said it should dry it right up. So, I started taking it again & was all dried up in a couple days. HTH!

Thanks alot for the tip on Kelp, that is nice to know. I have always had trouble with starts and stops red bleeding after birth.  Did you breastfeed, it was ok for milk supply to take Kelp right away after birth?

Offline Shady Lane

• Adept
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2008, 03:01:33 PM »
ShadyLane, I wish I had very little bleeding to start off with.  Were you taking rrl  postpartum?  I've wondered if perhaps I should next time.  Last baby I bled pretty heavy and had several huge clots for the first couple days.  :-\ 

Usually, my lochia lasts for around 4 weeks or so.  Comes and goes, heavy and light.  So you sound pretty normal.  :)

Westernmama,

Sorry I missed this, and I know this is WAY late . . . but anyhow . . .

Yes, I did continue with red raspberry afterwards, but I don't think that was what made me dry up so quickly.  I had lost a lot of blood after the birth, the slow trickle variety.  So my midwife in her desperation (and as a last resort) to make me quit bleeding, had me eat a tiny bite of placenta.  Gross, I know.  But it worked almost immediately.  And I think that was what made my bleeding so light later on. 

Offline mommyoftwins

• Adept
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2008, 02:09:05 AM »
Yes, I breastfed. No problems.

Offline mammamaude

• Adept
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2008, 08:22:48 AM »
Where could I find Kelp?

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2008, 08:32:41 AM »
A health food store or an online vitamin store. Anywhere that carries herbs might have kelp.

Offline prairiemama

• Wide Eyed
    • The Rose Garden
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2008, 06:28:01 AM »
Hello ladies!  I am new to WellTellMe, and am being greatly helped by some of these threads. :)  I had a question in relation to this general topic … I am almost ten weeks postpartum with my first child (the sweetest little girl ever!) and am still bleeding some.  It is off and on, always a few days out of each week, bright red.  My eighth week was the last one in which it was several days in a row.  I was just wondering if this was something that was normal in the range of womanly experience?  My doctor and the books I’ve read all say that it should end by 6 weeks, but I imagine that that is more of the studied average.  I am avoiding talking to my doctor about it because I’d rather not get them all worried about nothing and have to have all sorts of invasive things to try to diagnose nothing! ;)  I wondered about getting my period already (I am ecologically breastfeeding, but I know that doesn’t always suppress ovulation), but I haven’t gone for long enough between bleeding that I would think I’d have had time for a cycle.  I have been having some cramping, though.  I don’t need to worry about it, right? :)
(Hopefully I'm posting this correctly--I've never done this before!)

Offline momofkings

• Adept
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2008, 10:30:32 AM »
Congratulations on your new baby!  I am not sure about the length of time, but when you said it was bright red it makes me think you may be doing too much.  I always knew that if, after the lochia was lighter, that it turned to bright red, that it was time to rest more.  Are you laying down with your baby and nursing/napping with her during the day?  Is she sleeping with you at night so you can sleep/feed her at the same time?  Are you learning to let some things around the house go so you can put your feet up and REST during the day?  I know it is exhausting and there is always so much to do, but it really is ok to take it easy during this special time.  These are my thoughts, anyone else? 

Offline Jemima

• Adept
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2008, 11:11:58 AM »
Prairiemama - If I were you I'd talk to your doctor.  I had a question about the color/timing of my lochia flow, and the doctor told me that if you have bright red bleeding along with cramping or any other signs of infection (fever, aches, etc) there's a possibility that a piece of the placenta may still be inside. 

Yeah, I know, I'm not one for needless invasive procedures either, but if it were me I'd talk to your dr about it.  I'm not sure how serious having a piece of the placenta inside is, but I don't imagine it's anything too good.  :-\  That's my thoughts.

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2008, 03:02:01 PM »
  I have bled (steady flow) for a minimum of 1/2 weeks and a max of 7 weeks.  After that I had spotting for a week or two that was red to brown in color.  It also started up for a day or two after I went for a postpartum exam and after I re-initiated my "marital duties."    None of my practitioners (docs or midwives) were concerned except that my iron got a bit low.  They said that large babies born quickly (2 hr. labors) to small mommies tend to have that effect.  (Then again, my 95lb sister has 9lb babies and bleeds for less that a week without spending more than a few days in bed.  Not fair, right?!)
  Also, I am not great about staying off my feet, so I notice a difference in flow depending on my activity levels.  I have heard it recommended that stairs be avoided completely if possible- or at most, limited to one trip each way every day until fully recovered.  I have never done that either, so that probably makes it worse, too.
  Anyway, the basic gist is that the prolonged bleeding itself (without any other symptoms - so just how bad are those cramps??) wouldn't worry me as long as it is decreasing overall, but I would be careful about what effects it might have the rest of the body and energy levels.  Especially if your precious baby is depending on you for all of his care AND for nutritious breast milk.
  When it comes to reproductive issues, I always prefer to make a call to the midwife and ask for advice just to set my mind at ease.            ~L