Author Topic: Non-Dairy Kefir: Recipes, Tips & Tricks  (Read 41030 times)

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
Non-Dairy Kefir: Recipes, Tips & Tricks
« on: June 02, 2006, 02:57:40 AM »
You can also kefir things like lemonade and make your own ginger ale....it's even better for you than water!

Making kefired lemonade and ginger ale?  This is very intriguing.  Please explain with recipes! :)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 06:18:08 PM by healthybratt »

Offline sven

• Learning
    • Solar Family Farm
Re: Non-Dairy Kefir: Recipes, Tips & Tricks
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 03:40:39 AM »
Making kefired lemonade and ginger ale?  This is very intriguing.  Please explain with recipes! :)

For lemonade: 1.cup lemon juice, 1/2 cup natural sweetener (like rapadura or sucanat), approx 1/4c kefir grains or a packet of powder and water to make 1/2 gallon.  Cap tightly and leave at room temp for a few days.....the longer you keep it at room temp, the more bubbles it gets!  Strain out grains (if not using powder).

For ginger ale: 1/4 c peeled chopped fresh ginger root, 1/2 c lime juice, 1/2 c natural sugar, packet kefir powder (don't use grains or your picking them out of the ginger!)  Same directions as above only strain into another jar when done.

For vanilla "soda": 1T vanilla, 1/2 c natural sweetener, 1/4 c kefir grains or 1 packet powder.  Same directions as lemonade!

These are not sweet like commercial soda and very healthy for you.  They're cheaper too!  They are loaded with lactobaccilli.
The East Tennessee Ridge Runners

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 04:37:58 AM »
Thanks sven!  This is really neat!  I never knew kefir was ever "non-dairy"  I have always wanted to make it with raw milk, but have never found any in my area.  Surprisingly so, since there are many amish close by.  Thanks for the recipes!  I will look for some kefir grains and let you know how it goes.  God bless!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 06:50:04 AM »

For lemonade: 1.cup lemon juice, 1/2 cup natural sweetener (like rapadura or sucanat), approx 1/4c kefir grains or a packet of powder and water to make 1/2 gallon.  Cap tightly and leave at room temp for a few days.....the longer you keep it at room temp, the more bubbles it gets!  Strain out grains (if not using powder).

For ginger ale: 1/4 c peeled chopped fresh ginger root, 1/2 c lime juice, 1/2 c natural sugar, packet kefir powder (don't use grains or your picking them out of the ginger!)  Same directions as above only strain into another jar when done.

For vanilla "soda": 1T vanilla, 1/2 c natural sweetener, 1/4 c kefir grains or 1 packet powder.  Same directions as lemonade!

These are not sweet like commercial soda and very healthy for you.  They're cheaper too!  They are loaded with lactobaccilli.

where does the "soda" come in?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline sven

• Learning
    • Solar Family Farm
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 07:47:23 AM »
I suppose it is called "soda" for two reasons: (1) it gets bubbly after a few weeks, not like soda, but naturally.  In fact, you can put it in bottles with wire held corks and set it somewhere cool for a few weeks and it should get pretty bubbly.  But I haven't tried this.  And (2) for marketing(?).  The idea came from Eat Fat Lose Fat by Sally Fallon/Mary Enig.  They call it "soda" probably to help their readers accept an alternative to colas and other sugar laden commercial drinks.

We like the kefired lemonade.  It also helps my mildly queazy pregnant tummy. :)

Offline natural

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 02:43:49 AM »

Would you have to use the grains...could you use the kefir itself --1/2 cup? Won't that produce teh same effect?
Sandra
4 yo Maciah: Mamma I am scared the wind is howling.
Me: Go to sleep Jesus will protect you.
4 yo Maciah: (stretching his chin to chest) But, but I can't see Jesus my head can't reach into my heart.

Offline sven

• Learning
    • Solar Family Farm
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2006, 02:57:54 AM »
Would you have to use the grains...could you use the kefir itself --1/2 cup? Won't that produce teh same effect?
Sandra

Well, as far as I know, it doen't work.  You need the grains.  Now if you make kefir of any variety with the powder, you can save 1/2 c and reculture 5 or 6 more times.  But this is probably due to the fact that the kefir culture is left in when using powder.  With the grains, you remove them before consuming the kefir.  The grains are by far the most economical way to go.  And if you do a web search, you can find groups of kefir drinkers that will send you grains for the cost of shipping.

And if you've got milk kefir, I would not use that as starter for a soda.....then again, maybe that doesn't bother you.  But I can't even stand to drink water from a glass that has milk in it unless it has been washed.

Hope that helps! - Kristin

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 07:11:01 PM »
I can't even stand to drink water from a glass that has milk in it unless it has been washed.

My husband will pour milk into a glass with koolaid in the bottom of it.  It turns the milk colors and GROSS, then he actually drinks it.   ;D

Of course, this is a man who puts chocolate syrup and NERDS in his chocolate MaltOMeal.  :-X
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2006, 01:32:02 AM »
I can't even stand to drink water from a glass that has milk in it unless it has been washed.

My husband will pour milk into a glass with koolaid in the bottom of it.  It turns the milk colors and GROSS, then he actually drinks it.   ;D

Of course, this is a man who puts chocolate syrup and NERDS in his chocolate MaltOMeal.  :-X

Hmmm, very interesting. Does he also put potato chips on his PB & J??? 
"No one stands as tall as a Christian on his knees."
Get $5 off your first iHerb.com order: Code ISA141

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2006, 05:06:25 AM »
Hmmm, very interesting. Does he also put potato chips on his PB & J??? 

Nope, I'm the one who does that.   ::)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2006, 05:51:35 PM »
You can also kefir things like lemonade and make your own ginger ale....it's even better for you than water!

Can I kefir Juicy Juice?  I get WIC, but my kids can't drink it anymore because they keep wetting the bed, but I do give them an occasional popcycle made with Juice and Yogurt.  So I have tons of Juicy Juice stacking up in the cupboard.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2006, 04:11:38 PM »
Hey I'm interested in making ginger ale from real kefir (not the powder) and wonder if anyone has any ginger ale or ginger beer recipes. 

And HB my neighbor does kefir d'uva with cherry juicy juice.  It's SO goood!
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline RB

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2006, 02:24:12 AM »
Hey I'm interested in making ginger ale from real kefir (not the powder) and wonder if anyone has any ginger ale or ginger beer recipes. 
I perchased a ginger beer plant from:  www.fermentedtreasures.com
Here are some recipes:   http://www.fermentedtreasures.com/recipell.html
I'm assuming you could try the kefir grains instead.
Blessing's,
   RB
Whatsoever things are lovely ...think on these things.  Phil. 4:8

Offline chopchop

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2007, 02:46:49 PM »
I am in the midst of researching and experimenting with non-dairy kefir.  For those who may wish to do the same here is some info that I have found.
From Dom's site:
Although to a degree, SNM (Seed and Nut Milk) may be cultured with kefir grains, the native media for kefir grains is in fact any form of "dairy milk". Because of this fact, kefir grains may more than likely cease growing [became non-propagable] when cultured in non-dairy milk on a continuous basis. To work around this limitation, one has a few options. Kefir grains do well in a mixed media consisting of dairy and non-dairy milk e.g., a mixture of 50/50 SNM and dairy milk. Kefir grains seem to do well on a continuous basis when cultured in a such mixed media. Another option is to culture alternative batches; culturing a dairy milk one day and a non-dairy milk on the following day
 Starting with making Seed & Nut Milk
Seed & Nut Milk [SNM]
    * 15 Almonds, or 10 Macadamia nuts or half amount of both
    * 1 tablespoon of raw pumpkin seed kernels [raw unsalted Pepitas]
    * 1 tablespoon of white, black or mixed whole sesame seed [de hulled are OK but contain less calcium]
    * 1 tablespoon of sunflower seed kernels
    * 1 litre [1.9 pints] of water
    * 1 teaspoon each of honey [or cane sugar, palm sugar [gula mera] or maple syrup] and malt extract

1. Add the nuts and seeds in an electric blender and pour in 250 ml [1 cup] of boiling hot water
   2. Blend for app. 30 sec.
   3. While still blending, slowly add the remainder of water, blend for 1 minute longer
   4. Pour into cheese cloth or cloth bag placed in a strainer or colander sitting on the mouth of catching pot\
   5. Squeeze out the milk
   6. Pour the SNM into a suitable container, add the honey and malt extract to the milk when cool [if your making SNM yogurt, follow this step before adding in the sweetener]
Store the SNM in the refrigerator if not used or consumed right away. It should keep for about 4 days

SNM Kefir
Making SNM kefir is very easy to do. For best results I suggest adding a minimum of 2 teaspoons of any citrus juice to every cup of SNM prior adding the kefir grains, then and substitute this prepared SNM for dairy milk in the recipe for making kefir. Adding this juice makes a better kefir because of the lack of citric acid in SNM, which some microbes in kefir grains need as food source. For tips on other fruits to use please go here (below)

WHAT TYPES OF FRUIT JUICE CAN OR CAN'T I USE FOR NON-DAIRY MILK KEFIR OR KEFIR D'ACQUA?

You can use any fruit juice that is acidic in nature e.g., grape, citrus, pineapple, kiwi, paw paw, papaya, star fruit and any types of melon etc. The more acidic the fruit the less you need to add with either types of kefir i.e. water-kefir or the non-dairy milk kefir. The more sweeter the fruit the more may be added. With Kefir d'aqua one may generally mix as much juice with the water as desired [Note the more juice of a sweet fruit is added the higher alcohol content of the final cultured-beverage].
   Fruits which may not be used
   Fresh banana and avocado are not acceptable for preparing water-kefir because these fruits can not be juiced, and the nature of oily fruits such as Avocado can cause other problems. Although adding dry banana or fresh banana pieces to a sugar/water solution does make a wonderful water-kefir.

Coconut milk kefir

Milk-based kefir grains may be cultured in a mixed-media consisting of coconut cream [or coconut milk] mixed with equal proportion of dairy milk. This produces a wonderful delicious kefir. The curds are soft and creamy, and the kefir grains should continue to propagate well. Freshly strained milk-kefir or water-kefir may also be used to inoculate coconut milk. This process omits the grains altogether, however, a secondary fermentation completes the process. This is achieved by adding 10% to 20% freshly strained milk-kefir or water-kefir, to fresh coconut milk, then let brew at room temperature for 24 hours.

NOTES Due to the yeast component of kefir, adding sweet fruit juice to any media will increase the alcohol content of the final kefir. This includes culturing coconut water obtained from the inner part of young or mature coconuts. The amount of alcohol produced is determined by sugar content of the fruit juice, and duration of fermentation.

Please add your findings and experiences!!!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 03:12:34 PM by chopchop »

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2007, 03:34:35 PM »
I like making and drinking Kefir D'Uva(Knudsen's Concord Grape juice), but it has it's own thread here:
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,1107.0.html

I think I would like to kefir coconut milk, too, like Dara suggested.  Sounds fun! I will post any results.

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2007, 07:49:26 AM »
I kefired some coconut milk the other day and it worked beautifully.  I used 1 can coconut milk and 1 cup water(3 cups total liquid) with my 1 tbsp. of milk grains.  It took about 18 hours in my oven with the light on.  It tasted exactly like coconut milk with seltzer water added.  Very fizzy.  It didn't mix well with cold stuff.  My coconut milk got a bunch of beaded chunks in it(from the cold).  It was fun to try it, though. 

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2007, 10:37:39 AM »
Thank you Chopchop for starting this thread. I had asked about nondairy kefir on the kefir thread & I don't know why I didn't think of starting a thread myself. Everyone in the family except DH is allergic to dairy so I know that I will make good use of this thread. I our case it's allergy to dairy protein, not lactose intolerance so using dairy isn't an option right now. Thanks again.  Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2007, 10:13:49 AM »
so would the non dairy be as healthy as the dairy...I can't get raw milk? also is plain yogurt just as good as kefir or is kegir better. i got a yogurt today with 8 active cultures...lot cheaper than klefir?

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2007, 05:47:01 AM »
bump?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2007, 04:59:03 AM »
Typical microorganisms isolated from various water-kefir grains and water-kefir beverage...
Lb. homophobia

Is it just me, or does this seem a little odd ???
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2007, 05:15:10 AM »
Typical microorganisms isolated from various water-kefir grains and water-kefir beverage...
Lb. homophobia

I  thought Lb. Hilarities was funny too (pun intended -- hee hee).  Couldn't find either of them when I googled, except on Dom.
"...plain Kate, and bonny Kate, and sometimes Kate the curst..."

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2007, 04:13:36 AM »
Lb. homophobia

WHOA!  I copy and pasted from Dom'e Kerfir site. I didn't even notice that. I deleted the info.
Odd doesn't equate to wrong, but I wasn't able to find it anywhere except Dom's site either.   :P
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline tryingsohard

• Learning
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2007, 04:01:50 PM »
I found this recipe...now, I don't anything about this guy other than I might try the recipe for dh, who thinks I'm nuts (don't tell him that I am)...

http://www.salvonix.com/WAP/KefirBeer.pdf

Offline Roehrmomma

• Master
    • Polished cornerstones
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2007, 09:17:57 AM »

Do I have to heat the liquid to 180 degrees like milk to use the powder?

Em

Offline Roehrmomma

• Master
    • Polished cornerstones
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2007, 09:34:54 AM »
Also my powder says to make 1 quart milk you need 1 packet.

Can I still use 1 packet for 1/2 gallon?Or for good results do I need 2?

Thanks

Em

Offline Roehrmomma

• Master
    • Polished cornerstones
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2007, 09:50:47 AM »
Bump Anyone???I am in the middle of making this and just thought I would see.

Sorry to pester...

Em

Offline Roehrmomma

• Master
    • Polished cornerstones
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2007, 11:11:28 AM »
I just made this with 1 packet and didnt heat it I'll let ya know how it goes.I made the ginger ale.

Em

Offline mrs_zog

• Adept
  • Joseph's Coat rose bush:a gift from my parents
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2007, 11:55:35 AM »
We were at a friend's house the other night and she served lemon & fig water-kefir. We enjoyed it and I would like to try making some of the recipes posted above. I have a question before I get started though. It was suggested that the chemicals (pesticides, herbicides, etc.) in/on fruit/juice not grown "organically" will kill the kefir grains. Anyone have any information on this? It sounds like if it's possible to culture Juicy Juice this might be a myth.   ;)
A woman is like a tea bag--only in hot water do you realize how strong she is. ~Nancy Reagan

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2007, 04:24:56 AM »
We were at a friend's house the other night and she served lemon & fig water-kefir. We enjoyed it and I would like to try making some of the recipes posted above. I have a question before I get started though. It was suggested that the chemicals (pesticides, herbicides, etc.) in/on fruit/juice not grown "organically" will kill the kefir grains. Anyone have any information on this? It sounds like if it's possible to culture Juicy Juice this might be a myth.   ;)

i would like to know this also.....so those of you that have used juicy juice--does it work?  also, do kids like this stuff?  does it taste like fizzy juice after culturing?  thinking about using some juice.......
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline luvbnamom

• Adept
    • http://my.tupperware.com/RJEFFRIES
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2007, 05:02:39 AM »
I was wondering if there was a place I could get some Kefir starters?  A friend sent some once, but it was during a hot period of summer here in GA and I think they sat out in our mail box to long.....I couldn't revive them.

Becca
Becca ~ Happily married to T & mommy to JJ 7 and JB 2~