Author Topic: Foods to Eat While Fighting Candida  (Read 135751 times)

Offline healthnut

• Adept
Foods to Eat While Fighting Candida
« on: June 17, 2006, 03:49:09 PM »
I know there is a post on here somewhere that tells what foods one can eat while taking the Yeast Assassin but I can't seem to find it. Could someone give me a heads-up?

Basically I am trying to find a list of foods that I can eat that are sugar free and yeast free. If anyone has any suggestions I would love to know. For some reason I started craving salsa and ate a large amount and I don't even like salsa; well, normally :D

Also I know that Rebekah posted the regimen that she put her sister (?) on to get rid of Yeast and I can't seem to find that either. I think it had kefir and yogurt and a couple other things.

Has anyone experienced a loss of brain function as a detox symptom?  :D

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Foods to Eat While Fighting Candida
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2006, 04:58:40 PM »
Basically I am trying to find a list of foods that I can eat that are sugar free and yeast free. If anyone has any suggestions I would love to know. For some reason I started craving salsa and ate a large amount and I don't even like salsa; well, normally :D

The Yeast Connection Cookbook and Protein Power have good lists which might help you plan your menus better.

Here's a list from Protein Power.  If it has carbs, it has sugar in some form.  Protein Power recommends 25 grams of carbs or less per day to lose weight.  This book is not designed for fighting yeast, but it works almost the same.  If you can keep your sugars to 25 grams or lower, you'll be doing very well.  The recommended carb intake for daily maintenance (after desired weight loss is achieved) is 100 carbs, but personally I'd try to stick as close to 25 as I could manage.

Berrys

Berries are one of THE most important things you can eat. They are full of antioxidants and nutrients.

All berry counts given here are for 1/4 cup. They are effective carb counts, with the fiber already removed.

blackberries - 2.7g
blueberries - 4.1g
cranberries - 2.0g
raspberries - 1.5g
strawberries - 1.8g

Cheese Types
Note:  Stinky cheese is not recommended for Yeast Diets, but okay for weight loss.

Cheese is a delicious, nutritious food. It's full of calcium and can make just about any meal very tasty. It's a perfect snack, too! Here ares for various types of cheese. Unless otherwise noted, all amounts are for 2 Tbsp. That's maybe 3 slices of the type that go onto crackers (small squares).

All values are net carbs. There's no fiber in cheese ;)

American (one burger slice) - .3g
Blue - .4g
Cheddar - .2g
Cream - .8g
Feta - .8g
Fontina - .2g
Goat - .3g
Gruyere - .1g
Monterey Jack - .1g
Mozarella - .3g
Muenster - .2g
Parmesan - .3g
Swiss - .5g

Pasta, Grains and Rice

Most values are given for 1/2 cup of the food, unless noted. All carbs shown are effective carbs.

Bulgur Wheat - 12.8g
Cornmeal (1 Tbsp) - 10.6g
Couscous - 17.1g
Cream of Wheat - 14.3g
Flour (1 Tbsp) - 11.5g
Millet - 26.8g
Oatmeal - 10.6g
Pasta, egg noodles - 19.0g
Pasta, spinach - 15.9g
Pasta, whole wheat - 16.6g
Pasta, regular - 18.6g
Rice, brown - 20.6g
Rice, white - 21.9g
Rice, wild - 16.0g

Condiments

Whether it's garlic, pickles, ketchup or other "things" you add to your meals, here are the carb counts for many of your favorite condiments.

Most values here are for 1 tablespoon unless otherwise indicated. The carbs stated are effective carbs.

Capers: 0.1g
Dijon mustard: 0.5g
Pickle (1): 1.9g
Garlic (1): 0.9g
Ginger slide: 0.8g
Honey (1 tsp): 5.8g
Ketchup: 4.0g
Olives, black: 0.7g
Olives, green: 2.5g
Soy sauce: 0.9g
Vinegar, balsamic: 2.3g
Vinegar, cider: 0.9g
Vinegar, red wine: 0g
Vinegar, rice: 3.0g
Vinegar, white wine: 1.5g
Worcestershire sauce (1 tsp): 0.9g
Vinegar, sherry: 0.9g

Milk and Dairy

Many adults are allergic to milk products - your body naturally loses its ability to process milk as it ages. Many diets cut down your milk intake at the start to test for this.

If you've done a milk test before, it might be good to cut out dairy products for 2 weeks straight. See how you feel. You might notice a drop in bloating and other allergic reactions which you never had really noticed before!

All carb counts are given for effective carbs. Fiber has already been removed.

butter - 0g
egg (1) - 0.6g
half and half (2 Tbsp) - 1.0g
heavy cream (2 Tbsp) - 0.8g
mayonnaise (1 tsp) - 0.1g
milk (1 cup) - 11.4g
sour cream (2 Tbsp) - 1.2g
yogurt (1 cup) - 17.2g

In general, the heavier the cream, the better the carb count.
Cream Types and Descriptions

Are you confused about heavy cream, whipping cream, half and half, clotted cream and other types found in recipes? This easy to use chart explains them all.

Cream is a key component of many low carb recipes because the fat in cream gives foods a delicious flavor and texture. This chart shows the percentage fat, so if for example you have Double Cream and really need Heavy Cream, you know how much to dilute it.

Note that all of these values are averages - check out your particular brand of cream to find out the carbs per serving on it. Cream is in essence part of milk a cow puts out. When a farmer milks a cow, they let the liquid sit. The cream "rises to the top" as the cliche says, and is skimmed off. Depending on the fat content of that cream, it is given different names.

Higher fat creams tend to taste better, have a richer texture, and don't curdle as easily when used in cooking.

US fat     England fat  Carbs per cup
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Clotted Cream    --         55%
Double Cream     --         48%
Heavy Cream      36%        --            6g
Whipping Cream   30%        35%           7g
Whipped Cream    --         35%           7g
Single Cream /   18%        18%           8g
Light Cream
Half Cream /     12%        12%           8g

Vegetables

Vegetables are one of the most important things to eat in any low carb diet - be it Atkins, South Beach, the Zone, or other variations. Eat those vegetables!

The carbs listed are the effective carbs - the fiber counts have already been removed. When not marked, the servings are 1/2 cup.

Artichoke - 6.9g
Asparagus (6) - 2.4g
Beans, green - 2.9g
Broccoli - 1.7g
Brussels Sprouts - 7.6g
Cabbage - 1.1g
Carrot - 5.1g
Cauliflower - 1.5g
Celery - 0.8g
Corn - 14.1g
Cucumber - 1.8g
Eggplant - 2.0g
Lettuce - 0.5g
Mushroom - 1.0g
Onion - 7.5g
Peas - 6.5g
Peppers, Green - 3.4g
Peppers, Red - 3.3g
Potato - 14g
Pumpkin - 6.3g
Radish - 0.5g
Spinach - 0.2g
Squash, yellow - 1.4g
Tomato - 3.2g
Turnips - 2.3g
Zucchini - 3.3g

Onion Types

Here are carb counts for different types of onion, and suggestions for uses of each one.

Onions are actually types of lillies, and have been used in cooking for at least 7,000 years. They are one of our oldest food sources. Many societies felt onions brought strength and courage, and they were a favorite food of armies. Onions add a great flavor to recipes and are also antioxidants. Onions have potassium and vitamin C in them. Some studies even show that eating 1/2 onion each day can raise your HDL levels by 30%.

Serving is per cup.

Yes, 5g per serving might be high for induction. However, onions are VERY healthy and it's worth it to incorporate them into your diet plans.

Vidalia Onion
One of the most popular onions is a sweet variety first grown in Georgia. It was named after a city there that hosted a large Farmer's Market. Vidalias are the style used in "blooming onions" and are usually used in this manner or in onion rings. A whole vidalia is usually around 1 cup.
1/2 cup serving - 5g
Fiber - 1g
Net Carbs - 4g

Italian Red Onion
These colorful onions are often used in salads to add a lively color to them - either a ring or two laid on top, or diced red cubes are tossed over the top of the salad. Italian Reds can be sweet like a Vidalia or more mild. These are usually served raw in salads.
1/2 cup serving - 5g
Fiber - 1g
Net Carbs - 4g

Yellow Onion
The staple in many traditional recipes, yellow onions are cut into cubes and plunked along with meat dishes. They're used in soups and casseroles. They are usually not very flavorful but are quite inexpensive.
1/2 cup serving - 5g
Fiber - 1g
Net Carbs - 4g

Pearl Onion
Pearl onions are small, white onions that are often used in beef stews and other meat dishes. They have a mild flavor and are usually served whole, cooked in the sauce or juice of a dish.
1/2 cup serving - 5g
Fiber - 1g
Net Carbs - 4g

Green Onions
Also called scallions, it is the green "leaves" of this onion that are eaten. The bright green tops are used as decoration in soups, salads and vegetable dishes.
1/2 cup serving - 4g
Fiber - 1g
Net Carbs - 3g

Fruits

While fruits can be a special, sweet treat, you should be cautious about gorging on fruits while on a low carb diet. Those apple and orange treats are full of sugar!

Portions are 1/4 cup unless otherwise indicated. Carbs shown are effective carbs, the fiber was already removed.

apple (1) - 17.3g
applesauce - 6.2g
apricot (1) - 3.1g
banana (1) - 21.2g
cantaloupe - 3.0g
cherries - 4.2g
coconut - 1.3g
cranberries - 2.0g
grapes - 6.7g
honeydew - 3.6g
mango - 6.3g
orange (1) - 12.9g
peach (1) - 8.9g
pear (1) - 21.1g
pineapple - 4.3g
plum (1) - 7.6g
raisins - 31.0g
watermelon - 2.6g

Note that fruit juices are usually chock full of sugars. Read the labels carefully, but it's much better to drink water than to drink any fruit juices.

Fruit Juice

Fruit juices are in general a sugar-rich product. The manufaturers take the fiber rich fruit, leave behind all the fiber, and all you get are the fruit sugars and colors. In fact, the carb counts on many fruit juices are similar to that of regular Coke, which has 30g carbs per 8oz glass!

These counts are all net carbs. All are 8oz servings.

apple juice, unsweetened - 29g
cranberry juice - 36g
grape juice - 19g
grapefruit juice - 11g
lemon juice - 20g
lime juice - 23.5g
orange juice - 26g
pineapple juice - 34g
tomato juice - 5g

Nuts and Seeds

Nuts and Seeds are both good and bad for dieters. They are intense little packets of protein, but some are quite rich in carbs as well. Choose wisely!

All counts are given for 2 Tbsp of nuts, and are effective carb counts. The fiber values have been removed already. The best way to eat nuts is to pour out the portion into a serving dish and put the rest away. That way you feel full with what you have, without being lured by the rest of the container.

Almonds - 1.4g
Chestnuts - 24.2g
Coconut - 0.7g
Hazelnuts - 1.2g
Macadamia Nuts - 0.9g
Peanut Butter - 4.3g
Peanuts - 1.8g
Pecans - 0.6g
Pine Nuts - 1.7g
Pistachio Nuts - 3.1g
Pumpkin Seeds - 2.4g
Sunflower Seeds - 1.5g
Walnuts - 1.1g

Meat and Poultry

Meat consumption has always been important for women, to keep their iron levels up. The diet is perfect for meat lovers, since most meat is zero carb! Servings are 6oz.

Meats
Bacon - .1g
Calf Liver - 10.4g
Chicken - 0g
Cornish Game Hen - 0g
Duck - 0g
Goose - 0g
Keilbasa - .8g
Pork - 0g
Sausage - 2g
Steak - 0g
Turkey - 0g
Veal Steak - 0g

Deli Slices
Bologna - .7g
Ham - 1.5g
Pastrami - 2.6g
Roast Beef - 2.3g
Salami - 2.4g

Being on an or low carb diet is not a license to eat bacon every day and hotdogs every night. You still need to eat healthily! Most low carb diets recommend only one serving of bacon a week, for salt and other reasons. Most healthy diets recommend avoiding hotdogs because of the nitrate level in them - excessive nitrates are linked to diabetes and other serious diseases.
Seafood If you're into seafood, here's a to help you determine what seafood items will work well on your low carb or diet. In general, it is completely carb free! Just get the fish grilled, not breaded. All servings are 6oz in size.

Fish
Anchovies in Oil: 0g
Bluefish: 0g
Catfish: 0g
Cod: 0g
Halibut: 0g
Mackerel: 0g
Mahi mahi: 0g
Salmon: 0g
Scrod: 0g
Snapper: 0g
Trout: 0g
Tuna: 0g

Shellfish
Clams: 8.7g
Crab: 0g
Lobster: 2.2g
Oysters: 12.5g
Scallops: 3.9g
Shrimp: 0g

Here's a list from The Yeast Connection Website to give you some more ideas.

Foods You Can Eat Freely

Low –carbohydrate vegetables. These vegetables
contain lots of fiber and wonderful essential nutrients. They are relatively low in
carbohydrates and calories. You can eat them fresh or frozen, cooked or raw.
ß Asparagus
ß Beet greens
ß Bell peppers
ß Broccoli
ß Brussels sprouts
ß Collard greens
ß Daikon
ß Dandelion
ß Eggplant
ß Cabbage
ß Carrots
ß Cauliflower
ß Kale
ß Kohlrabi
ß Leeks
ß Lettuce (all varieties)
ß Mustard greens
ß Okra
ß Onions
ß Parsley
ß Parsnips
ß Celery
ß Endive
ß Garlic
ß Radishes
ß Rutabaga
ß Shallots
ß Snow peas
ß Soybeans
ß Spinach
ß String beans
ß Swiss chard
ß Tomatoes, fresh
ß Turnips

Meat, Seafood, Eggs and Other Food
ß Beef, lean cuts
ß Chicken
ß Cod
ß Lamb
ß Mackerel
ß Other fresh or frozen fish
ß Pork, lean cuts
ß Salmon
ß Shellfish: shrimp, lobster, crab
ß Tofu
ß Tuna
ß Turkey
ß Veal
ß Wild game

Nuts, Seeds and Oils (unprocessed)
ß Almonds
ß Brazil nuts
ß Cashews
ß Filberts
ß Flaxseeds
ß Pecans
ß Pumpkin Seeds
ß Sardines
ß Butter (in moderation)
ß Oils, cold-pressed and unrefined:

Corn, Olive, Safflower, Soy, Sunflower, WalnutNote:Avoid hydrogenated fats & soy.

Foods You Can Eat Cautiously

High-Carbohydrate Vegetables
ß Artichoke
ß Avocado
ß Beans, peas and other legumes
ß Celery root (celeriac)
ß Fennel
ß Beets
ß Boniata (white sweet potato)
ß Breadfruit
ß Winter, acorn or butternut squash

Dairy Products - Eat these sparingly since many people have food sensitivities
to dairy products. If your symptoms persist, eliminate them completely.
Note:  Dairy Products also contain lactose (milk sugar)

ß Cream Cheese
ß Hard Cheeses
ß Yogurt

Whole Grains
Note:  Grains contain Gluten which can also feed yeast.  Gluten is also a common allergen.

ß Barley
ß Corn
ß Kamut
ß Millet
ß Oats
ß Brown Rice
ß Spelt
ß Teff
ß Wheat

Grain Alternatives
ß Amaranth
ß Buckwheat
ß Quinoa

Breads, Biscuits and Muffins – All breads, biscuits and muffins should be
made with baking powder or baking soda as a leavening agent.

Foods You Must Avoid Completely

Sugar and foods containing sugar. Avoid sugar and other quick-acting
carbohydrates, including sucrose, fructose, maltose, lactose, glycogen, glucose,
mannitol, sorbitol, galactose, monosaccharides and polysaccharides. Also avoid honey,
molasses, maple sugar, date sugar and turbinado sugar.

Packaged and processed foods. Canned, bottled, boxed and other packaged and
processed foods usually contain refined sugar products and other hidden ingredients.
You’ll not only need to avoid these sugar-containing foods in the early weeks of
your diet, but you’ll probably need to avoid them indefinitely.

Avoid yeast-containing foods for the first 10 days of your diet. Here’s a list of foods
that contain yeasts or molds:

ß Breads, pastries and other raised-bakery goods.
ß Cheeses: All cheeses. Moldy cheeses, such as Roquefort, are the worst.
ß Condiments, sauces and vinegar-containing foods: Mustard, barbecue, chili,
shrimp and soy sauces; pickles, pickled vegetables, relishes, green olives,
sauerkraut, horseradish, mincemeat and tamari. Vinegar and all kinds of
vinegar-containing foods, such as mayonnaise and salad dressing. (Freshly
squeezed lemon juice may be used as a substitute for vinegar in salad dressings
prepared with unprocessed vegetable oil.)
ß Malt products: Malted milk drinks, cereals and candy. (Malt is a sprouted grain
that is kiln-dried and used in the preparation of man processed foods and
beverages.)
ß Processed and smoked meats: Pickled and smoked meats and fish, including
bacon, ham, sausages, hot dogs, corned beef, pastrami and pickled tongue.
ß Edible fungi: All types of mushrooms, morels and truffles.
ß Melons: Watermelon, honeydew and, especially, cantaloupe.
ß Dried and candied fruits: Raisons, apricots, dates, prunes, figs and pineapple.
ß Leftovers: Molds grow in leftover food unless it’s properly refrigerated.  Freezing is better.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2006, 05:24:08 PM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthnut

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2006, 09:21:40 PM »
Thank you HealthyBratt!!!  :-* I just might head to the library tomorrow to pick up the The Yeast Connection Cookbook. It sounds like it would really help. :D

Offline ~esposita~

• Master
    • Family Fotos
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 02:09:13 AM »
HB - You're da bomb!   ;D 8) :D :-*

Thanks for all the info you find and share with us!!!
My attempt at blogging:  The Carpenter's Wife

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2006, 05:11:36 AM »
hi all, i'm a little confused about the whole grains section.......they are listed under foods to eat freely, but also say it can feed yeast. 

has anyone found a bread recipe, or maybe tried the delsem bread, that wouldn't feed yeast?  how hard/time consuming are the tortillas to make?  just wondering.....
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2006, 05:29:47 AM »
Hi Fivewittlekids...

I just skipped grains for the first week (that was my serious, kill-it-all week -- no fruit, lots of eggs and fish and veggies).    Then I added no-yeast grains like tortillas (but still in small amounts) -- they're really easy to make.  I think if you have yeast bread, the soaked/sprouted grain sourdough style is supposed to be best, but I've never done that, so I can't speak, there.  One of HB's lists mentions to eat grains cautiously.  It says the reccommended daily carb intake is 100 grams (w/ her preference being closer to 25 for getting rid of yeast).  So basically, you can eat them, but keep it low while you're trying to kill yeast.  HTH  :D
"...plain Kate, and bonny Kate, and sometimes Kate the curst..."

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2006, 05:35:03 AM »
I agree with Kati*did.  There's no reason a healthy person cannot have good whole grain breads and goodies, but there is gluten in bread and gluten is a food for yeast.  The sugars in bread also feed yeast even if they are natural...so if you're fighting yeast, skip that piece of bread with dinner until you get your gut back in order.  Once you've killed the candida and replaced it with healthy organisms, eat bread and be merry.  ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline onmyway2natural

• Adept
  • Winter on Galveston Island, TX
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 11:35:58 PM »
Hi there,
Can BeeyoutifulGirl or HealthyBratt please tell me if Yeast Assassin has any other harmful effects to a nursing baby - other than the milk possibly drying up? My son is 15 mos and I am contemplating weaning anyway, plus my milk supply is seemingly unending, so I would probably still have milk! But I have horrible eczema and I don't think the Ultimate Defense and TT8 are going to do it by themselves, especially with chlorinated water. On a side note, my baby also has eczema and so I suspect yeast there too and wonder if it might not help if he gets any of the YA via my milk.

Another question to understand the way this works: Are the UD and TT going to "eat" the yeast, or just keep the gut healthy with mucosal lining stuff and/or helping to digest food without actually killing the yeast? So unless I take the YA, there would be yeast and the good bacteria still in there at the same time?

And again, it seems like the list of stuff I should take keeps growing -- some seems redundant -- anything I can cut out or should add in?
Yeast Assassin - kill big part of yeast
Ultimate Defense - replenish good bacteria and add soil for feeding it
Tummy Tuneup 8 - more good bacteria
Milk Thistle - for liver during detox
Lemon water - liver cleansing during detox
Goldenseal tea - anti-fungal
Grapefruit Seed Extract - drops in water to fight yeast
Garlic - immune support? anti fungal?
omega3,6,9 supplement
Spirulina - whole food, detox
and CUT sugars
oh and if possible get a chlorine filter and replace my amalgam fillings!

Thank you for all your time on here helping us yeasty people!
Amy
Blessed wife to my own Prince William.
Grateful SAH&HsMommy to 9yog, 6yob, 5yob, 2yog.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 08:34:55 AM »
Hi there,
Can BeeyoutifulGirl or HealthyBratt please tell me if Yeast Assassin has any other harmful effects to a nursing baby - other than the milk possibly drying up?

Here is a conversation I had with BeeyoutifulGirl awhile back in answer to this question.

Quote from: healthybratt
Quote from: BeeyoutifulGirl
Her email did not state how old the child was, and I'm assuming he is old enough/big enough to swallow a capsule? Is she nursing?

I guess he's 7 years old.  So you're saying that's okay?  How young is too young?  Why can't nursing babies have it?  All nursing babies?  1yo, 2yo, 3??  I'd like to know for future posters. 

Thanks.

~hb

Keep out of reach of children. Do not use if pregnant or nursing. Discontinue if unusual symptoms occur.

CONTRAINDICATIONS: None. Some individuals may develop a sluggish feeling as the toxins are being expelled from their body. If this happens, just decrease the dosage. This feeling should subside as your system is cleansed.

I know that for pregnant women, the reason stated is that all essential oils are potentially dangerous as they can stimulate contractions and therefore cause a premature birth.

I can't find anything that says why nursing mothers should not take it. Half of the internet references say "No known contraindications."  The other half say "See your doctor before taking if you are pregnant or nursing."

I found NO references to Black Walnut Hull or Wormwood being dangerous for children, and a couple places where it is used frequently in 3rd world countries to control parasites. However, I did see "keep out of reach of children" on tincture bottles containing a parasitic blend.

So... We (Beeyoutiful, Welltellme) are not doctors and cannot give medical advice that is absolute. We can only give opinions... If it was my kid - and they had yeast or parasites, I'd give them YA according to weight. We did tell a lady in a 3rd world country that she could sprinkle it on pizza for her kids to eat, to kill parasites.

Capsules are dangerous for kids that cannot swallow capsules.

That's about as definite as I can get...

Rebekah

I hope this helps.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Amey

• Adept
    • Amey's Blog
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2007, 05:21:20 AM »
Anyone on a yeast diet tried coconut flour muffins for fiber? I'm trying to "get things moving" and did some research on coconut flour. It is very high in fiber, so the carbs in it are not absorbed by your body, they go right through, from top to bottom.  :P  It's kind of new on the health food scene, so I haven't found much info on it (there's some, but not a lot). Personally, it looks to me like it would be ok to use on a candida-type diet (even beneficial!), you just can't add any sugar, of course. I thought it might be good to absorb and remove all the dead yucky yeast fungus toxic junk. I have also already been on the diet for over two weeks. I don't know if I'd try this right at first.

It seems you need to use a lot of eggs with coconut flour since it has no gluten. It needs something to bind it all together. You also use coconut oil, salt and baking soda/powder in some combination. I don't have a good recipe yet, but we'll see how it goes. I have to finish off some muffins that flopped, first (not enough eggs, too crumbly).  ;)

What do you think? Does this sound right?

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2007, 05:39:20 AM »
Anyone on a yeast diet tried coconut flour muffins for fiber? I'm trying to "get things moving" and did some research on coconut flour. It is very high in fiber, so the carbs in it are not absorbed by your body, they go right through, from top to bottom.

I think HealthyInOhio has used coconut flour.  She has a post here about using it in bread:

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,5215.msg53876.html#msg53876

Also, I was looking into this because I want to start using coconut flour and found that this website had some ideas and recipes:

http://www.simplycoconut.com/coconut_flour_recipes.htm

Offline Amey

• Adept
    • Amey's Blog
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2007, 09:42:07 AM »
Yes, that's one of the pages I found (simplycoconut.com). Have you tried any of those recipes? I would have to adapt the recipes for anti-candida (no sugar, yeast or other flours). I guess it's different if you are using ALL coconut flour with no other flour in there. You need a lot of eggs. It sounds like HealthyInOhio still used mostly regular flour in her bread. What I tried used 1/2 coconut flour and 1/2 almond meal. But it didn't work out. That was just my first try, though. Maybe later this week I'll try again.

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2007, 09:58:24 AM »
I haven't tried anything yet -- I'm still ordering the coconut flour (they don't have it at our local health food store).   I was thinking about the sugar/honey in all those recipes, too.  Maybe you could try using stevia for sweetener.  Let me know if you come up with something that works!

Offline Amey

• Adept
    • Amey's Blog
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2007, 02:31:27 PM »
Just tried the "Honey Muffins" at http://www.simplycoconut.com/coconut_flour_recipes.htm, except I substituted stevia for the honey (used less than a straight sub.), and coconut oil for the butter. It turned out tasting a lot like custard because of all the eggs. Which isn't bad, unless you want a muffin to eat your eggs with in the morning for breakfast, in which case it is too much egg. Bleh.  :P The problem is, eggs are the best "binder" to use (IMO). I don't really know that I want to change that. Maybe just decrease the eggs and live with it being extra grainy and crumbly?

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2007, 02:35:08 PM »
Just tried the "Honey Muffins" at http://www.simplycoconut.com/coconut_flour_recipes.htm, except I substituted stevia for the honey (used less than a straight sub.), and coconut oil for the butter. It turned out tasting a lot like custard because of all the eggs.

Was the texture like a regular muffin?  Thanks for posting your experience with the coconut flour!

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2007, 03:50:21 PM »
Real nice, Katie!!  Put a paczki pic under the Foods for the Yeast Assasin!  :D
I have never had one!  Heard they are better than doughnuts. 

Offline Amey

• Adept
    • Amey's Blog
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2007, 04:02:07 PM »

Was the texture like a regular muffin?  Thanks for posting your experience with the coconut flour!

It is slightly on the spongy, airy side, but not too different from regular muffins. Not dense at all. The main thing I notice about them is the custard flavor. You can use different things to flavor them, though. Nuts, various extracts. I would have used more stevia, but the aftertaste of that stuff bugs me. I don't know how it would do with spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, etc. I put dried rosemary on top (as I ate them), and that was good.

I'm thinking it's probably a personal taste thing - do you want them to be more grainy or more egg-y. It's definitely a nice break in the diet after having only vegetables, eggs, and meat for a month.  :)

Offline Amey

• Adept
    • Amey's Blog
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2007, 03:25:17 PM »
Coconut flour muffin success! This was my third try. The first batch: too crumbly. The second batch: too eggy (but still pretty good). The third batch: I really like. Here's what I mixed together.

4 eggs
5 tbsp. coconut oil, melted 
4 tbsp. coconut milk
250 mg stevia (10 little scoops in the bottle I have)
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. vanilla
a little more than 1/2 c. total - coconut flour and almond meal combined (mostly coconut flour)
1/2 tsp. baking powder
I also added some cinnamon and nutmeg (didn't measure)

I mixed this up and poured it into greased muffin cups and sprinkled unsweetened shredded coconut on top. Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Makes 9 muffins.

The texture turned out pretty good (not grainy, not too eggy), and the only thing I dislike about the flavor is that slight aftertaste from the stevia.  I guess that's a small price to pay for a little bit of sweetness while on this stupid diet. I miss honey!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2007, 03:45:22 AM »
Coconut flour muffin success! This was my third try. The first batch: too crumbly. The second batch: too eggy (but still pretty good). The third batch: I really like.
Thanks so much for experimenting and posting!  I'm going to give it a try. 

Real nice, Katie!!  Put a paczki pic under the Foods for the Yeast Assasin!  I have never had one!  Heard they are better than doughnuts.
I've never had one, either.  I never even heard of them till we moved to MI.  I got some for dh just to be "Polish".   ;)  He ate the stuff in the middle and tossed the rest!  He doesn't really like them.  So much for trying to be Polish.   ::)

Offline Bek

• Learning
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2007, 03:16:06 PM »
So would corn bread be reasonable for starting out on this diet? I know corn in and of itself is a no no  ;), but corn bread without the wheat flour mixed in???  ???
Bek

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2007, 06:21:23 PM »
So would corn bread be reasonable for starting out on this diet? I know corn in and of itself is a no no  ;), but corn bread without the wheat flour mixed in???  ???
Bek
Not likely, corn has lots of natural sugar in it.  ;D  I'm not sure of the carb count, but I'd bet it's higher than regular bread. 
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Bek

• Learning
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2007, 02:23:34 AM »
Thanks HB!

Offline Marisa

• Adept
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2007, 04:25:00 PM »
Hi, I was wondering if someone could post a sample days menu when eating to rid of candida. I have read all of the foods lists and am trying to figure out how to plan it out. I'm going to order yeast assn and tummy tune up this weekend.But I want to get a head start. In a serious case, how long would be recomended to do this 6 weeks?
I had a rash under my arm for 1 year that flared up when I ate wheat, went around in circles w/ dr. and am certain that it's from candida.
Thanks

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2007, 04:36:55 PM »

I had a rash under my arm for 1 year that flared up when I ate wheat, went around in circles w/ dr. and am certain that it's from candida.

Are you allergic to wheat, perhaps?

Offline Marisa

• Adept
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2007, 05:00:24 PM »
I think so, but after reading all of the symptoms of candida I think it's the catylist. I am also chronically constipated, insulin resistant,hi issues endo.
I think I must have a build up of toxins. I was into bodybuilding 3 years ago and took steroids for 3 months and ephedra for 1&1/2 years and upon stopping this lifestyle,the health problems started. My diet is clean and unprocessed as I stick to a bodybuilding type of diet still.
I had a question, I want to get rid of the constipation too, but I'm scared of enemas. Is there anything I can do?

Offline Mrs. Visionary

• Adept
    • PureBulk, Inc.
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2007, 07:46:00 AM »
I have never understood why one should not eat yeasted foods while fighting candida overgrowth. The yeast in bread is killed in the baking process and it is not the same yeast that colonizes the human body. Also, to my understanding, yeast feeds on sugars not on more yeast. Any insight on this?

Offline Kansas Girl

• Adept
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2007, 08:29:22 AM »
I have never understood why one should not eat yeasted foods while fighting candida overgrowth. The yeast in bread is killed in the baking process and it is not the same yeast that colonizes the human body. Also, to my understanding, yeast feeds on sugars not on more yeast. Any insight on this?

I have wondered the same thing???  Any thoughts ladies??? -KG
having a baby" border="0

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2007, 09:00:42 AM »
I'm wondering too...

Offline hodgy

• Adept
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2007, 09:32:43 AM »
Not sure about this, but I think it pertains to the composition of the yeast.   It is similar enough in structure to aggravate the body, just like the candida variety and can cause the wide spread reaction that candida causes.   Much like your body reacts to something it's allergic to.

Offline Mrs. Visionary

• Adept
    • PureBulk, Inc.
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2007, 05:58:17 AM »

Now another pondering about foods that are OK as I work away at yeast.
I have no problem eliminating sugars from my diet but have been craving chocolate terribly. So, I'm thinking about sweetening some cocoa with stevia. There are quite a few posts about stevia and it's beneficial effects and lack of negative effects.
What I would like to know, though, has anyone used stevia during yeast cleansing and still had success in getting rid of the yeast?

Regarding my earlier question about eating yeasted foods.
Not sure about this, but I think it pertains to the composition of the yeast.   It is similar enough in structure to aggravate the body, just like the candida variety and can cause the wide spread reaction that candida causes.   Much like your body reacts to something it's allergic to.
Yes, that seems like a plausible explanation. Thank you.