Author Topic: Gastroenteritis: Healing for Stomach "Flu" [Virus, Food Poisoning]  (Read 103260 times)

Offline Roc

• Learning
Re: Gastroenteritis: Healing for Stomach "Flu" [Virus, Food Poisoning]
« Reply #60 on: December 14, 2007, 08:38:29 PM »
try colloidal silver. that's what i use. also goggle it to find info on it. i just discovered it so I'm still learning about it. my son had a staph infection and i sprayed some silver on it for a few days and it was gone. no antibiotics need. when i looked it up it said you could use it for a stomach flu. god bless you! your in my prays.

Offline wlwest

• Adept
« Reply #61 on: January 01, 2008, 10:30:45 AM »
This bug is going around.  My son had it a few days before christmas, and it lasted about 24 hours.  Couldn't even keep water down.  Then a few days later, my 2 youngest got it.  My 2 yr old suffered the worse, they both had it at the same time, at night.   :'(  It was a rough night, the 2 year old threw up all night, just stomach bile after a while.  Then 2 days ago, my oldest, and last child threw up.  Now, I have it, only I'm not throwing up, but am burping alot.  I've taken a peppermint bath, and tea.  But no relief yet. 

What about bentonite clay?  would that work for this??  I'm desperate to get better,  and the aches are the worse!

wendy

Offline 4lilkeepers

• Adept
« Reply #62 on: January 01, 2008, 01:53:10 PM »
drops.  http://www.herbsmd.com/detail/NatraBio/4153/Childrens-Cold-Flu.htm

I have had these drops to stop a headache in my 4 yr old almost immediately.  It also calms and practically stops severe congestion with four doses.  You give it every 20 minutes until symptoms stop.  It's for everything!  I get it at my local health food store for about 8 bucks!

IT's worth it. 

4lilkeepers

Hope your bunch gets better soon.....

Offline chrisg20

• Learning
« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2008, 09:32:04 AM »
I've read about TTU, but will any priobiotic work?  Like Primal Defense?  Also, what about grapefruitseed extract?  Anyone ever try Virastop by Enzymedica?  Any success?  Thanks!
Chris  :)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2008, 09:45:27 AM »
When attempting to ward off the viruses that cause gastro-intestinal upset and illness, you want to attempt to get as many different types of bacteria and yeasts into your GI tract as possible.  Variety and numbers is key.  So when selecting a brand of probiotic, you should look at how many organisms are being delivered in each serving; how many different species are being provided in each serving; delivery system of the supplement (as many of these organisms cannot survive the acidic environment of the stomach in order to get into the intestines) and the stability of the supplement (do I need to refrigerate or are the supplements going to die in transit when ordering, etc).

Tummy Tune-up Original Blend is a good example of the things listed above because it offers 8 different species of organisms, and each pill contains many more organisms than advertised to ensure that you're getting at least the number guaranteed on the bottle, the pills are enteric coated to provide a more stable delivery into the intestines and to give them a more stable shelf like to prevent the need for refridgeration or the risk of spoilage during delivery.

My favorite herb book!!

Offline twitterpated4hubby

• Adept
« Reply #65 on: February 04, 2008, 12:22:26 PM »
 Virastop by Enzymedica Is the best thing in the world to stop the stomach flu. I know it cost a lot but this stuff has saved our family so many times. It will stop it in its tracks...not just the symptoms but it really kills the flu off. I am amazed by it. :)
http://keepyourcloveson.blogspot.com/2008_10_01_archive.html

"...I found the one my heart loves. I held him and would not let him go..." -Song of Songs 3:4

Offline chrisg20

• Learning
« Reply #66 on: February 04, 2008, 03:14:03 PM »
Thanks!  I just bought it, but I'm glad to know it works!  Is it safe to open the capsules and mix into baby food or is it only for adults?  What is the dosage that works best?  Thanks again!
Chris

Offline amenking

• Learning
« Reply #67 on: February 04, 2008, 03:55:17 PM »
I second the ViraStop.  We have used it a few times now and have had great results!

I just open a capsule and mix it with a little bit of applesauce for my kids.  They don't like it, but they will take it.  I have never given them more than 2 at a time and the baby just 1 at a time.  I think it made the baby's face break out some, but am not 100% sure it was that. 

• Adept
« Reply #68 on: February 04, 2008, 03:59:51 PM »
Ya know, im pretty sure its safe for a baby. How old is your baby? Im thinking it was one of those things that's totally safe for anyone to take. I know a woman who takes it because she was dying of lupus and it cured her. She is in remission and has been for years. She actually married the health food store guy who helped her know what to do for her sickness. LOL!! you may want to check further into it and make sure before you put some in babies food but like i said, im pretty sure its harmless. I have found that if one of us already has the virus that that person cant keep the pill down. The rest of us all just make sure to take the virus stop for a while until we feel safe. I wonder if breaking open the pill and trying to get it down that way would help for someone who already was throwing up though. Maybe the pill just doesnt have time to dissolve and work before they throw it up. Anyway..that was just a thought. Let me know how it works for you. ;)

"...I found the one my heart loves. I held him and would not let him go..." -Song of Songs 3:4

Offline chrisg20

• Learning
« Reply #69 on: February 04, 2008, 04:44:51 PM »
Thanks for all the helpful info  ;D
My dd's are 3 1/2 and 13 mos.  What is the dose for adults?  Do you just follow the directions on the bottle for it to work properly?  Thanks again!

Chris
Mommy to Ella & Ashley

• Adept
« Reply #70 on: February 05, 2008, 05:20:53 AM »
I really dont remember how much exactly an adult takes but im thinking i would take 2 maybe 3 times a day. Thats only if i knew for a fact we were gonna get sick because we had or were being exposed. That seemed to be enough for us to keep from getting it. Do you know anyone to call that may know the answer to how much to give a child and baby? If not then i could give you a # to my healthfood store. They always know stuff like that and im very impressed with them. I always feel safe listening to what they tell me. ;)

Offline DarlingSweetHeart

• Adept
« Reply #71 on: February 08, 2008, 04:42:23 PM »
Please direct me to where I can find info about what to do with the Flu during pregnancy.
Symptoms started monday night after 1st prenatal.
Temp reached upto 102.8 and is now back to normal
Threw up once
Aches and pains gone
Chills gone
Migrane subsiding as of tonight.
Diarrhea was gone, but it has come back -- everything is going through me.
I was strickly on clear liquids, broths, uncarbonated 7up, water Tuesday and Wednesday.
I gradually added the BRATS diet Thursday.
Today had egg bagel with milk, and banana.  Didn't finish bagel.
Diarrhea started again shortly after.
Was doing the tummy tune up at the beginning...didn't seem to touch it.
Started using lemon juice in water...OUCH!!
Started using ACV, and I feel like my output is more than my input.
antidiarrheals like Kaopectate are not ok,  I used Imodium AD and heard two different opinions about taking it during pregnancy.  Besides my dr's office said to let the bug flush out...what now??
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 04:44:05 PM by DarlingSweetHeart »

Offline lotsagirls

• Adept
« Reply #72 on: February 08, 2008, 05:15:38 PM »
Do you have some activated charcoal?  I would take that along with some water after every visit to the bathroom.  It's safe to you during pregnancy.  We wouldn't be without it at our house.
Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.  Psalm 127:3

Offline morningglory

• Adept
« Reply #73 on: February 08, 2008, 08:10:26 PM »
Blueberries!  They're good for constipation and diarrhea, and they taste really good too.  I've used them for diarrhea, and I was amazed at how quickly they worked.  I just ate the frozen ones until the diarrhea stopped.

YoopreMama

« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2008, 01:38:49 AM »
Those are good suggestions...also blackberries, carob, acidophilus, drinking water/tea (tannins help w/ diarrhea) to stay hydrated ...there's a chronic diarrhea thread, I think w/ good ideas...

Chronic Diarrhea:  Causes & Cures

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #75 on: February 09, 2008, 04:14:05 AM »
I would first make sure you're getting as many good fluids as you can get into your body.  Bananas are definitely a must.  You'll need the potassium to stabilize and help retain your fluids.  I would keep up with the TT if you have it.  It may not kick it immediately, but that doesn't mean it's not doing it's part.  If you can stomach it, eat some garlic raw, if you can't try GOOT or poultices.  REST, REST, REST & REST some more.  Apples might help.  The pectin in them may help you to stop losing liquids.  Sounds like you've got an extra nasty bug that may be resistant but don't give up. 
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline steadygirl

• Adept
    • My church home page
« Reply #76 on: February 09, 2008, 05:32:09 AM »
You could try psyllium/ bentonite clay or carob powder. Carob powder is much yummier. :D That is what we would give the little girl we watched if she was loose. It worked!

Offline CountyCork

• Master
« Reply #77 on: February 09, 2008, 06:05:38 AM »
Stay away from any dairy, unless it is raw and preferrably cultured like Kefir or yogurt.
No sugar of any kind, even in "fruit juice" as it pulls salts out of you and creates more poo!
If you're doing BRAT, make sure the rice is brown, and the toast is whole wheat (real, not just brown colored).
Water with a bit of sea salt will help.
No "electrolyte" drinks like gatorade or such, as they are full of chemicals and dyes.
REST is right!  Stay horizontal as often as you can.
Hang in there! 

Offline 4lilkeepers

• Adept
« Reply #78 on: February 15, 2008, 07:54:19 AM »
hydrated besides water?!  She doesn't drink it very well.  I don't wanna give gatorade or things like that becasue they have all the high fructose corn syrup in them.  I want her to be well, not make her sicker.   :)

If I juiced apples and oranges and pineapples, She would still be getting a lot of sugar, so what do I need?

The poor thing managed to wait until the other five got it and got almost over it before she contracted it!  She's usually the one who gets sick, first!? Go figure ???

Thanks

Offline busymomma

• Adept
  • As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord
« Reply #79 on: February 15, 2008, 08:05:48 AM »
My 4 yo doesn't like water either, but if I fill a cup nearly up with water and put just a splash of apple juice  in it to flavor it, she will drink it. (Maybe 1T to a cup of water??)   I had to get her to drink a lot this week because I thought she was getting a UTI and that worked well. 
As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #80 on: February 15, 2008, 08:15:20 AM »
Liquids are very important with diarrhea and flu even if it means there's a  bit of sugar in them.  Avoid caffeine as this will cause more loss of liquids.  Naturally salted beverages can be a plus as the potassium is generally lost during illness and will help to retain fluids as they are replaced.

Try this link for recipes for replacement drinks.

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,5741.0.html

Baths are also a good way to help the body to absorb water when you cannot get it orally.

Enemas although not the most pleasant can help to replace fluids if there is risk of dehydration.

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,2147.msg18418.html#msg18418
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #81 on: February 15, 2008, 08:42:48 AM »
If she's not eating either, then whatever you give her needs to be as nutrient dense as you make it. I know that we automatically think "water" when we think about hydration, but the Brewer Diet got me thinking differently. Dr. Brewer did not recommend drinking water for pregnant women. He felt that when you can only hold down a certain amount of food and liquid them water was a waste of stomach space because it has so few nutrients in it. So he recommended that they drink nutrient dense stuff instead of water.

Some ideas are soups, stocks, broths, juices -- or better yet, whole fruits (if you can get her to eat them). The electrolyte drinks might help too, although not as nutritious. But remember that too much of certain juices (like apple juice, and even the electrolyte drinks) can cause diarrhea. So give her a variety. And the baths are a great idea.

WR
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 08:44:45 AM by Whiterock »
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline 4lilkeepers

• Adept
« Reply #82 on: February 15, 2008, 10:00:39 AM »
include diarreah and thorwing up, fortunately!  It's just high fevers 104-105, severe body aches and a horrible cough and congestion. 

Thanks so much for all this advice too!  I'm going to make the homemade gatorade stuff.  Right now, she's sipping a bottle of water with a bunny straw and a splash of cranberry juice in it.

Offline grocerygetter

• Adept
« Reply #83 on: February 22, 2008, 04:48:07 AM »
Hi
I am new here and most of my family just came down with the yuckiest stomach flu.  I have been reading this thread and have wondered if anyone is still having good results with the virus stop?  I can not seem to find any information on line.  Can someone anyone provide me with a web address that I might use?  I called my local health food store and they have never heard of it.  Can anyone recommend anything?

Thanks

Colleen
We used Grapefruit Seed Extract (GSE) internally. You can check out this thread for more info on it http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,4014.0.html. It wasn't originally why I bought it but it worked! Oh, we would take a probiotic at a separate time of day also. I think I mention that in the GSE thread.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #84 on: February 22, 2008, 05:42:59 AM »
What is stomach flu?
Stomach flu, or gastroenteritis, is an inflammation of the lining of the digestive tract. Despite the name, it's not caused by the influenza virus. The most common culprit is one of a number of other viruses, including rotavirus, adenovirus, calicivirus, and astrovirus.

But gastroenteritis can also be caused by a potentially more serious bacterial infection, such as Salmonella, Shigella, Staphylococcus, Campylobacter, or E. coli. Still other cases are caused by parasites such as giardia.

If your toddler has gastroenteritis, she may have diarrhea, vomiting, abdominal pain, fever, chills, and achiness. Her symptoms may be mild or severe, and they may last for just a few hours or for days, depending on the culprit.

How did my toddler get stomach flu?
Viral gastroenteritis is very contagious. Your child may have eaten food contaminated with the virus or shared a cup or utensils with someone who has the virus. (It's possible to have the virus without exhibiting symptoms.)

If bacteria or a parasite is to blame, your child may have ingested contaminated food or drinking water.

Another way your toddler may have picked up the illness is by coming in contact with infected fecal matter and then putting her hands in her mouth. This sounds gross, but it happens a lot, especially in daycare situations. Remember that germs are microscopic, so even when a child's hands don't look dirty, they may be covered with bacteria.

How common is stomach flu?
Viral gastroenteritis is the second most common illness in the United States after upper respiratory infections (such as colds). Before the age of 3, the average child will come down with the stomach flu at least twice a year, more often if she's in daycare.

Kids usually enjoy a boost in their immunity after they turn 3 years old and may not contract the illness as often. Still, it's not uncommon for a child to continue to have two or three bouts a year.

from http://www.babycenter.com/0_stomach-flu-gastroenteritis_1190023.bc

Stomach Virus or Foodborne Illness?

The next time you come down with diarrhea, abdominal cramps, nausea, and vomiting, and you think you have a stomach virus, think again. It may be caused by something you ate. Foodborne illness, or "food poisoning," as it is sometimes called, is often mistaken for a virus. The food service industry generally does a good job of providing us with a wholesome food supply. However, there are several factors that can change good foods into foods that are unfit to eat. Foodborne illnesses are usually caused by mishandling of food and/or bad hygiene habits of food workers that lead to illness-causing bacteria in the food. This article describes some of the most common foodborne illnesses and how to prevent them.

Salmonellosis

Salmonella bacteria can be found in food products such as yeast, coconut, pasta, baked products with cream fillings, milk, milk products, and raw poultry, beef, eggs, and shrimp. They also may be found on unwashed fruits and vegetables. The symptoms of salmonellosis generally occur six-48 hours after eating the contaminated food. Symptoms include nausea, abdominal cramps, diarrhea, fever, and headache. Symptoms are most severe for infants, young children, the elderly, and people with chronic conditions. Salmonellosis accounts for 1,000 deaths each year.

Salmonella bacteria are easily killed by heat. Some ways to prevent salmonellosis include:

* Thoroughly cook all foods that could be contaminated with the salmonella bacteria.
    * Avoiding cross-contamination. Do not prepare cooked or ready-to-eat foods on surfaces that previously contained raw meat or raw eggs unless the surface has been thoroughly washed and sanitized.
    * Avoiding undercooked eggs or foods containing raw eggs, such as cookie dough, cake batter, homemade Caesar salad dressing, and homemade eggnog.
    * Thoroughly washing hands, foods, or equipment that have had contact with raw meat or eggs, or with pets, insects, or other household pests.

Campylobacter Jejuni

Poultry, sheep, and cattle waste are the main sources of these bacteria; but feces (waste) from kittens, puppies, and birds also may be contaminated. People can become infected with the campylobacter jejuni bacteria from eating undercooked poultry, handling raw poultry or raw meat, drinking non chlorinated water or unpasteurized (raw) milk, and handling infected human or animal feces. Symptoms occur two-five days after eating contaminated food, and include diarrhea (often bloody), nausea, vomiting, fever, abdominal cramping, and pain.

These bacteria also are easily killed by heat. To prevent this illness:

* Thoroughly cook all meat and poultry. Maintain hot foods at 140°F or above when serving.
    * Wash hands properly before preparing food, after handling raw meats, and after handling pets or pet feces.
    * Thoroughly wash all kitchen areas and utensils that have come in contact with raw meat.
    * Drink pasteurized milk and chlorinated water.

Escherichia coli (E. coli)

Several strains or types of E. coli can cause diarrheal disease. The most common is E. coli 0157:H7, which can severely damage the lining of the intestines. This type of E. coli is transmitted by undercooked or raw hamburgers, salami, alfalfa sprouts, lettuce, unpasteurized milk, unpasteurized apple cider and apple juice, and contaminated well water. Symptoms usually begin two-five days after eating contaminated food, and include nausea, vomiting, severe abdominal cramping, watery or bloody diarrhea, and tiredness. This infection also can produce an uncommon but extremely severe complication-hemolytic uremic syndrome. Some of the ways to prevent E. coli infection are:

* Thoroughly cook all beef and beef products, especially ground beef.
    * Drink only pasteurized milk.
    * Do not drink unpasteurized juices and ciders.
    * Wash fruits and vegetables thoroughly before eating or cooking.

Clostridium Perfingens

Meats and meat products, especially gravies, soups, leftovers, stews, and stuffing, are the foods commonly associated with this illness. Clostridium perfingens is resistant to heat, so proper cooking may not kill all the bacteria. Usually, clostridial food illness is caused by failure to keep food hot. As the cooked food cools to a lower temperature, the bacteria may multiply and produce toxins that can cause illness. Symptoms usually occur eight-12 hours after eating, and include abdominal pain, diarrhea, and sometimes nausea and vomiting.

Tips for avoiding clostridium perfingens include:

* Keep hot foods hot until they are served.
    * Cool leftovers, meat and gravy, soups, and stews quickly. Store leftovers in small containers and refrigerate them so they will cool as quickly as possible to slow the growth of these organisms.

General Tips

* Clean hands. Hands and fingernails should be washed thoroughly and often with soap and warm water, especially before handling or preparing food.
    * Correct temperatures. Cold temperatures often stop germs from growing, and heat can help kill germs. Keep hot foods hot and cold foods cold. Prepared food should never be left standing at room temperature; food should be properly stored immediately.
    * Clean food. Foods should be protected during delivery, storage, preparation, display and service. Make sure food does not become infected by coughs, sneezes, dirty hands, dirty equipment, pests, animals, or cross-contamination.
    * Cooked food. Foods should be cooked thoroughly at proper temperatures, particularly meat and meat products. While certain foods like steak and some fish are often prepared rare or "pink" inside, food for children, pregnant women, and people with health conditions should be cooked well done. Ground meats in particular should never be "pink."
    * Clean service. Contaminated utensils may spread disease. Disposable eating utensils are clean and should be handled in such as way as to keep them sanitary. Reusable utensils should be scraped, washed clean in hot water, and sanitized as required by your local health department guidelines.

Taking these simple precautions can help ensure food safety and healthy children.

from http://www.healthychild.net/articles/na33virus.html

I found several articles where scientists are investigating a "new" technique called competitive exclusion to prevent salmonella in chickens and e-coli in cows.  This is the process by where probiotics (or what the scientists call "benign" microorganisms) are introduced into the animals to crowd out the ecoli, salmonella and other dangerous organisms. 

Funny thing is, I couldn't find anything in the medical stuff to support that this might also work for a human.   ::)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline little mama

• Learning
« Reply #85 on: February 26, 2008, 02:21:51 AM »
Maybe you all have some wisdom for me. My 4 year old has had something for the past couple of weeks (seems like a coons age!). Some days she is fine with a good appetite but often she wakes up in the morning or sometime in the night throwing up. Usually is is just one time the she is OK for the rest of the day. She has also had diarrhea sporadicly. Sunday morning she puked all forenoon and was fine in the afternoon. Last eve she complained that her stomach hurt again and she didn't eat much supper. She woke up this morning around 4:30 with a bed full of diarrhea. YUCK! I put her it the tub where she proceeded to throw up several times. This has drug out long enough! Is this an ongoing stomach bug. The weird thing is, I don't ever remember her throwing up in her life, maybe one time, neither she nor I usually catch stomach bugs and now she's been throwing up for weeks. I have been giving her slippery elm whenever she has a bought of diarrhea nd that takes care of that. This morning I gave her a garlic/probiotic/slippery elm enema. That was fun. :-[ Do I just need to be more faithful at giving her TTU three times a day? Any other suggestions?

Offline lotsagirls

• Adept
« Reply #86 on: February 26, 2008, 04:48:00 AM »
Maybe you all have some wisdom for me. My 4 year old has had something for the past couple of weeks (seems like a coons age!). Some days she is fine with a good appetite but often she wakes up in the morning or sometime in the night throwing up. Usually is is just one time the she is OK for the rest of the day. She has also had diarrhea sporadicly. Sunday morning she puked all forenoon and was fine in the afternoon. Last eve she complained that her stomach hurt again and she didn't eat much supper. She woke up this morning around 4:30 with a bed full of diarrhea. YUCK! I put her it the tub where she proceeded to throw up several times. This has drug out long enough! Is this an ongoing stomach bug. The weird thing is, I don't ever remember her throwing up in her life, maybe one time, neither she nor I usually catch stomach bugs and now she's been throwing up for weeks. I have been giving her slippery elm whenever she has a bought of diarrhea nd that takes care of that. This morning I gave her a garlic/probiotic/slippery elm enema. That was fun. :-[ Do I just need to be more faithful at giving her TTU three times a day? Any other suggestions?

I give mine activated charcoal after every bout of vomiting and or diarrhea.  I have it in capsule form and give 2 capsules each time.  *Drink LOTS of water* as charcoal will cause constipation.

I also give TTU before they eat anything.  I have even doubled the dose during times of extreme sickness.

I would also try the BRAT diet...bananas, rice, applesauce and toast.  Keep it simple for a while to give the digestive system a rest.

HTH!
Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.  Psalm 127:3

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #87 on: February 26, 2008, 05:18:18 AM »
Do you think maybe she has picked up a parasite somehow? Those nasty little things can make you pretty sick. Giardia is one that can cause symptoms like this, I think.

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline little mama

• Learning
« Reply #88 on: February 26, 2008, 10:46:56 AM »
never heard of it. Where do I find out more?

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #89 on: February 26, 2008, 06:13:37 PM »
You can do a search on this site or search the web. But I don't think that Giardia is not the only parasite that could cause such symptoms. So you may want to research parasites and parasite cleanses.

WR
Who Needs God?