Author Topic: Cellulitis: Causes & Cures  (Read 21173 times)

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
Cellulitis: Causes & Cures
« on: October 16, 2007, 05:19:02 AM »
Here is a link that describes what cellulitis is:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cellulitis/DS00450

I had it for the 1st time in September 2007 due to an infected mosquito bite.

I think I have it again but this time on my other leg. I was told that once a person gets cellulites the 1st time they will get it real easy after that.

Last night I did some of the great advice that I learned from a few great ladies on this below thread because it really helped me a lot the last time:

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,11607.msg109597.html#msg109597

It was spreading fast last night and after I put the garlic and herbs on my leg  it slowed down and the swelling is not there much at all since then which lowers the pain.

I am plastering garlic on my leg mixed with olive oil. But the cellulitis still is there. I believe the garlic/herbs are helping it not get as bad.

If it wont go away via the use of these herbs I will have to go to the doc because cellulitis is a very serious thing and can cause leg loss and death. I know they will want to stick me on those evil antibiotics that killed off my immunity so badly that i got the stomach flu, ear infection, UTI and yeast infection last month all at the same time!  :'(

I do not want that again. Right now I am getting my immune built back up and doing good till now.

What else can I do?

I do not have a big budget to work with and I don't have anything here other then garlic, olive oil, yarrow, mint, goldenrod, red clovers, chicory, burdock, plantain  and dandelion root. That is what I have to work with.

I want to order some herbs/items via the mail to use for later use. But for now I need to do what I can with what I have. What would be some good thigns to order for later use when and if I get this again?

-I was thinking that herbs like olive leaf might help fight off cellulitis? What else?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 05:21:43 AM by BJ_BOBBI_JO »

Offline LoveSunflowers

• Master
Re: Cellulitis: Causes & Cures
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 08:10:42 AM »
My hubby has what we believe is cellulitis right now. We have been able to keep the inflammation down and it is starting to heal. He has been eating at least a bulb of garlic a day. I also make him soak in an Epsom salts baths, it draws toxins out. He has been applying raw honey and collidial silver water. I believe that honey is doing the most right now and the baths. At night, I apply honey to the infection, soak a gauze pad with the silver water and cover. I've applied garlic oil but he says that burns too much. I started with the Eden salve but I believe his infection was too far gone. He does apply the salve while he is at work because that is the easy to keep on and not get his dress clothes messy.
Epsom salts can be purchased at Wal-Mart and aren't expensive. We get our honey from a local farm and it isn't too costly.
Jessica

Offline Helpmeetmom

• Adept
    • Avon organics
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2007, 05:13:39 PM »
HEre is our experience with Cellulitis, and have a friend who went through a very similar circumstance with her 2-year old, but she didn't hesitate with the bacon, and it healed almost immediately.  Strange huh, bacon also works when you step on a nail to draw out any poison.

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,8493.msg91018.html#msg91018

Hope it helps, all I can say is put bacon on it.  Strange as it seems it works better than anything we've seen or heard of. 
So grateful for all the Lord has done for me and my family.  God is so good!

Offline daisey

• Master
  • Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 07:37:13 AM »
HEre is our experience with Cellulitis, and have a friend who went through a very similar circumstance with her 2-year old, but she didn't hesitate with the bacon, and it healed almost immediately.  Strange huh, bacon also works when you step on a nail to draw out any poison.

Hope it helps, all I can say is put bacon on it.  Strange as it seems it works better than anything we've seen or heard of. 

Do you use raw bacon?
Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side

Offline Helpmeetmom

• Adept
    • Avon organics
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 08:07:09 AM »

Do you use raw bacon?

Yes, hilarious huh!  There is a use for it!  When I was little and stepped on a rusty nail my parents didn't hesistate with this and I healed quickly with no problems.  My sis just stepped on one a week before her wedding, we did the same thing and again, no problems.  My dad had stepped on a rusty nail when he was a kid and it started to get infected.  He applied the raw bacon and the next day the infection was gone and his skin was that clean healthy pinkish white color and there was rust on the bacon. 

Bacon was the quickest thing that worked for my hubby when he had what we think was cellulitis (it was sooo bad), and it is what got rid of it on a child in our church in just one day.  It took my hubby a few days after trying everything else and going through all kinds of torturous foot soaks and things that I concocted before we were reminded about the bacon and saw immediate improvement!  If you want I can give you the step-by-step approach we used.  It really is simple and I'm sure you can do it any way you want with the same results!  Hope that helps!  (please don't kick me off of WTM for suggesting bacon  :o :o )

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 12:47:23 PM »
I wonder what it is with the bacon that helps the cellulitis so much?

They say pork is salty so I wonder if it being salty helped to draw out the infection?

Offline Helpmeetmom

• Adept
    • Avon organics
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 07:45:37 PM »
I wonder what it is with the bacon that helps the cellulitis so much?

They say pork is salty so I wonder if it being salty helped to draw out the infection?

That's just what we think too.  My hubby had a ton of sea salt foot soaks (with tons of chopped garlic, acv, and some essential oils), and it didn't really do anything, but keep it from getting worse, and not a bit better.  So I think that it's not just the salt but the bacon works as an agent  to draw it out, as opposed to just sprinkling it on or soaking it.

On another note:  ONe has to be a bit consistent for it to work.  You couldn't put it on for 10 min announce it doesn't work, and give up.   ANyway, I hope this helps.

Offline Mrs. Davis

• Mrs. Davis
  • Adept
    • New Life Birth Services
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 05:37:30 AM »
I have also heard that honey draws out infections.

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 05:43:41 AM »
I truly believe the bacon  can and does work for cellulitis. The only thing that bothers me is that they say raw bacon is a big carrier of parasites and if I were to put the raw bacon on the open wound that started the cellulitis would that be like inviting parasites in?

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2007, 07:02:13 AM »
Just to encourage you about using the bacon, I will tell you about a company that I used to work for before children. 

They invented and marketed products for burn victims.  They had sold their first company, which processed and shipped pigskin to burn hospitals around the country.  Seems, I was told, there is a beneficial property to pigskin that works to rapidly heal human tissue and skin.  {sidenote; this treatment is no longer used for burns, as the new owners of the company thought pigskin unsanitary, so they sterilized it thereby destroying the beneficial property}

Sounds as though raw bacon has a similar effect. 
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2008, 10:58:02 AM »
A PM:
I think i may have finally pinpointed what my four month long rash on my legs is, cellulitis, a type of bacterial infection, similar to staph..

Do you think it would be safe for me to bathe in a bath with some neem oil in it? Also, do you think that neem leaf (taking the capsules) will be strong enough for cellulitis? I am planning on going at this thing with a vengeance!

It's really too bad that i let it go for so long. I am determined to stop it in it's tracks, now that i have an idea of what i'm dealing with.

Yes, I think taking baths with Neem Oil in them, as well as Sea Salt as mentioned earlier in this thread, would help with this condition. And yes, Neem can be taken internally (leaf or oil) to fight blood infections. Whether or not it alone would be strong enough to wipe out cellulitis is yet to be discovered...

Also, I'd say that taking one or more of the herbs mentioned in the following article would also be a good idea (like Garlic an Echinacea.)

I would add Elderberry to the list because it helps clean the blood and is great at boosting the immune system. Sambucol elderberry syrup is a good brand, but expensive. You can make  your own Elderberry syrup by following the Bilberry recipe, exchanging Elderberries for Bilberries.

Also, search for GOOT on this forum. I think this smelly salve would be a good thing to put on your legs in between bathing treatments. I would also guess that exposure to the sun every day would be important.

So sorry you are in pain! Get well soon!

Rebekah

Tonic recipe: Use Elderberries in place of Bilberries for boosting the immune system, fighting viruses, bacterial infections, blood impurities, and the common cold.
Bilberry tonic recipe:

Powder 1/2 pound high quality bilberry fruit in your blender and then put in a
sauce pan. Cover with 4 quarts of water. Simmer on low, never boiling, for 12 hours. Cool, strain. You should have half the liquid you started with (about 2 quarts.) Pour into quart jars, filling each jar 2/3's full. Now add equal parts honey and dark Rum to fill jars. Shake well.
This tonic should keep well in a cool dark place for a year, or in the fridge for longer. Shake before use. Also good for treating any blood vessel related illness, eye sight, circulation, bruising, varicose veins, kidney damage or UTI's. 

PS: this makes about 3 quarts of tonic! I find that we go through it so fast it's worth making a lot. I use it for combating colds as well.

CELLULITIS - A BACTERIAL INFECTION

Symptoms:
Cellulitis is a spreading bacterial infection of the skin and the tissues immediately beneath the skin. Cellulitis may be caused by many different bacteria; the most common are those of the Streptococcus species. Streptococci spread rapidly in the skin because they produce enzymes that hinder the ability of the tissue to confine the infection. Staphylococcus bacteria can also cause cellulitis, as can many other bacteria, especially after bites by humans or animals or after injuries in water or dirt. Cellulitis most commonly develops on the legs but can occur anywhere. The first symptoms are redness, pain, and tenderness over an area of skin. These symptoms are caused both by the bacteria themselves and by the body's attempts to halt the infection. The infected skin becomes hot and slightly swollen and may look slightly pitted, like an orange peel. Fluid-filled blisters, which may be small (vesicles) or large (bullae), sometimes appear on the infected skin. Erysipelas is one form of streptococcal cellulitis in which the skin is bright red and noticeably swollen and the edges of the infected area are raised. The swelling occurs because the infection blocks the lymphatic vessels in the skin. Most people with cellulitis feel only mildly ill, but some may have a fever, chills, rapid heart rate, headache, low blood pressure, and confusion.

Link: http://www.merck.com

Medical Treatment:
Prompt treatment with antibiotics can prevent the infection from spreading rapidly and reaching the blood and organs. Antibiotics, such as dicloxacillin (Trade Names: DYCILL, DYNAPEN, PATHOCIL, or cephalexin (Trade Name: KEFLEX), that are effective against both streptococci and staphylococci are used. People with mild cellulitis may take antibiotics by mouth; those with rapidly spreading cellulitis, high fever, or other evidence of serious infection often receive intravenous antibiotics. Also, the affected part of the body, when possible, is kept immobile and elevated to help reduce swelling. Cool, wet dressings applied to the infected area may relieve discomfort. Symptoms of cellulitis usually disappear after a few days of antibiotic therapy. However, symptoms often get worse before they get better, probably because with the death of the bacteria, substances that cause tissue damage are released. When this occurs, the body continues to react even though the bacteria are dead. Antibiotics are continued for 10 days or longer even though the symptoms may disappear earlier.

Link: http://www.merck.com

Alternative Medical Treament:
Superficial staph infections can generally be cured by keeping the area clean and antiseptic and applying warm moist compresses to the affected area for 20 to 30 minutes three or four times a day. Among the therapies believed to be helpful for the person with a staph infection are yoga (to stimulate the immune system and promote relaxation), acupuncture (to draw heat away from the infection), and herbal remedies. Herbs that may help the body overcome, or withstand, staph infection include:

Garlic (Allium sativum). This herb is believed to have antibacterial properties. Herbalists recommend consuming three garlic cloves or three garlic oil capsules a day, starting when symptoms of infection first appear.
Cleavers (Galium aparine). This anti-inflammatory herb is believed to support the lymphatic system. It may be taken internally to help heal staph abscesses and reduce swelling of the lymph nodes. A cleavers compress can also be applied directly to a skin infection.
Goldenseal (Hydrastis canadensis). Another herb believed to fight infection and reduce inflammation, goldenseal may be taken internally when symptoms of infection first appear. Skin infections can be treated by making a paste of water and powdered goldenseal root and applying it directly to the affected area. The preparation should be covered with a clean bandage and left in place overnight.
Echinacea (Echinacea spp.). Taken internally, this herb is believed to have antibiotic properties and is also thought to strengthen the immune system.
Thyme (Thymus vulgaris), lavender (Lavandula officinalis), or bergamot (Citrus bergamot) oils. These oils are believed to have antibacterial properties and may help to prevent the scarring that may result from skin infections. A few drops of these oils are added to water and a compress soaked in the water is then applied to the affected area.
Tea tree oil (Melaleuca spp., or ylang ylang). Another infection-fighting herb, this oil can be applied directly to a boil or other skin infection.

Allopathic treatment: Severe or recurrent staphylocoecal infections may require a seven- to 10-day course of treatment with penicillin or other oral antibiotics. The location of the infection and the identity of the causal bacterium determines which of several effective medications should be prescribed. In recent years, doctors have turned to such newer medications as vancomycin or the fluoroquinolones to treat staph infections because strains of S. aureus have emerged that are resistant to penicillin and the older antibiotics. In case of a more serious infection, antibiotics may be administered intravenously for as long as six weeks. Intravenous antibiotics are also used to treat staph infections around the eyes or on other parts of the face. Surgery may be required to drain or remove abscesses that form on internal organs, or on shunts or other devices implanted inside the body. Most healthy people who develop staph infections recover fully within a short time. Others develop repeated infections. Some become seriously ill, requiring long-term therapy or emergency care. A small percentage die. Healthcare providers and patients should always wash their hands thoroughly with warm water and soap after treating a staph infection or touching an open wound or the pus it produces. Pus that oozes onto the skin from the site of an infection should be removed immediately. This affected area should then be cleansed with antiseptic or with antibacterial soap. To prevent infection from spreading from one part of the body to another, it is important to shower rather than bathe during the healing process. Because staph infection is easily transmitted from one member of a household to others, towels, washcloths, and bed linens used by someone with a staph infection should not be used by anyone else. They should be changed daily until symptoms disappear, and laundered separately in hot water with bleach. Children should frequently be reminded not to share:
brushes, combs, or hair accessories
caps
clothing
sleeping bags
sports equipment
other personal items
A diet rich in green, yellow, and orange vegetables can bolster natural immunity. A doctor or nutritionist may recommend vitamins or mineral supplements to compensate for specific dietary deficiencies. Drinking eight to 10 glasses of water a day can help flush diseasecausing organisms from the body. Because some strains of staph bacteria are known to contaminate artificial limbs, prosthetic devices implanted within the body, and tubes used to administer medication or drain fluids from the body, catheters and other devices should be removed on a regular basis if possible and examined for microscopic signs of staph. Symptoms may not become evident until many months after contamination has occurred, so this practice should be followed even with patients who show no sign of infection. A vaccine against S. aureus was developed in the late 1990s for use with patients with low resistance to infection. A trial of the vaccine in hemodialysis patients indicates that it offers partial protection against bacteremia for about 40 weeks.

http://www.vashonorganics.com/WSWrapper.jsp?mypage=treatment_symptoms_cellulitis_bacterial_infection.htm
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 11:00:33 AM by ForeverGirl »
Honey Sunny in complete exasperation:
"JOE!!! You DOUGHNUT COCONUT COCONUT COCONUT!!!"

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2008, 11:23:20 AM »
There's info on this thread that should help as well:

Ankle Pain and Swelling: I need help

Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline mom24boys

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 07:05:47 AM »
I have some experience with cellulitis as my brother in law and my brother both suffer from it.

Let me say that this is a case where you need to consider going on the antibiotics.

4 months of symptoms can really damage your cells in that limb.  It can create a recurring problem because of the damage.  Also, once you have cellulitis, you are more likely to have a re-occurrence.

It really can be a life threatening infection as it can overwhelm your blood stream and begin to attack organs (at least, that is how it was described to my relatives).

I would say you would do well to get on the right antibiotics to really kick it out of your system and also treat the natural way to promote healing and a stronger immune system to deal with this.

Then, if it shows up again, hit it with all the natural remedies you can before it gets a foothold.  However, I believe this current bout has gone on far too long as it is.

Just my $.02

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2008, 07:37:52 AM »
Cellulitis isn't always caused by bacteria. It can be caused by yeast/fungus as well. If you are taking antibiotics & it's just not helping (or helping but not completely getting rid of it) the reason may be b/c it's cellulitus being caused by yeast/fungus or b/c it's being caused by BOTH bacteria & yeast/fungus. In that case, something like the Neem oil that Beka talked about &/or the GSE & Oreganol I talk about in this post likely would have good results. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Glad to hear things are getting better! If it is cellulitis, elevation is key. Just took care of lady last night who had candida cellulitis (not that common in my experience-usually it's strep or staph) and they were treating it intravenously as well as topically. Usually, staph or strep cellulitis is simply treated intravenously so you are (I'm guessing) doing well to treat internally with everything you are taking as well as topically with the garlic/goot. You may want to outline the redness to make sure that it is receding. Cellulitis can be very serious.

I don't know anything about cellulitis but if I'm understanding this correctly, it's basically an infection that is caused by one of 3 things: staph (bacteria) strep (bacteria) or Candida (yeast/fungus). This being the case, if it were me, I would take Super Strength Oreganol from North American Herb & Spice & Grapefruit Seed Extract (GSE). Both are antibacterial & antifungal. Garlic is as well but these are MUCH more potent. I have no doubt that the garlic has been helping & has probally been what has kept you off of IV but it sounds like you need something stronger to finish knocking it out. Both have been used to clear up antibiotic resistant infections.  You can find out more about Oreganol by entering Oreganol into WTM's search feature. I have a book about GSE (Grapefruit Seed  Extract by Louise Tenney) that states that it has been used to treat Vancomycin resistant infections. Vancomycin is Drs heavy duty, last ditch antibiotic. NutriBiotic is a standard brand of GSE at HFS & 2 oz is under $10. You use it by the drop so a 2 oz bottle goes a LONG way. Here's a link w/doseage info for GSE:

NurtiBiotic Doseage Info

Beeyoutiful carries GSE as well. If you have any of Beeyoutiful's GSE on hand, keep in mind that it's almost 2x's as strong as NuriBiotic's & adjust the doseage.  HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline Melly Lane

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2008, 03:35:16 PM »
Thank you everyone for the helpful advice.

Offline amy3js

• Master
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2009, 03:25:00 PM »
I am currently battling a case of cellulitis in my almost 4yo dd's toe and thought I would share my experience for the record.

So I discovered her whole foot was swollen with a large pus blister in the bottom of her big toe. A large red area surrounded the blister and a red streak was crawling up the top of her foot. I immediately applied eden salve to the blister and red around the blister while I ran a bath. I gave her a warm bath. I would not do this normally as I would be afraid of the infection spreading in the water, but she also was covered with large red spots on her legs and arms and a splotchy rash all over. I've since decided the large spots were possibly hives. I applied more eden salve when I took her out of the bath. DH said take her to the dr. By the time we got to the dr 3 hrs later, the red line crawling up her foot had completely receded, I believe thanks to the eden salve.

The dr lanced the blister and found a sliver in it, probably the source of the bacteria. The dr was amazed that the line had receded as much as it had so props to the eden salve again. She prescribed a topical antibiotic, which we used, and an oral which we did not use. She also prescribed 1000mg daily chewable vit.c (I gave her a little more than that) and alternating hot and cold foot baths 3/day.

At home, day 1, I began giving her raw garlic (3-4 times/day), raw honey, echinacea tinc (2 times day), GSE (3-4 drops/day) and a good multi vitamin I had that I dissolved in orange juice/water mixture (only the first 2 days, then I ran out). A few days in I also began giving her garlic poultice's on her foot (2/day) and to her foot bath water I added crushed garlic, GSE, lavender EO, tea tree oil, and a couple drops dr. brauners mild baby soap. I also applied a colloidal silver gel in between the topical antibiotics a few times. I made sure she got lots and lots of rest, absolutely NO sugar, and elevated her foot to reduce swelling every so often.

We are on day 8 and still battling this, but it is greatly improved. I will continue full treatment for another week (or longer), though I have scaled back the foot baths to twice a day and raw garlic to 2-3 times a day.

If this happened again, I would feel much more confident to treat it on my own. It has responded really well to natural antibiotics, I believe even better that it has responded to the prescription stuff.

Also, thank you to all in this thread who posted. All the info helped very much.

Oh yes, and I have been making sure she gets at least one bowl of yogurt sweetened with raw honey a day.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 06:40:06 PM by amy3js »
You get what you get, what matters is what you do with it.

Offline Jade

• Adept
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2009, 07:16:29 AM »
By the time we got to the dr 3 hrs later, the red line crawling up her foot had completely receded, I believe thanks to the eden salve.

I have never had any experience with cellulitis, but just wanted to mention that I was reading an herbalist's comments on cellulitis, and they say to never put a salve (especially one that contains beeswax in any amount) on skin infections that are suspected to be staph, strep, or something similar. Their reasoning is that it holds the bacteria in and keeps the area too moist, which in turn allows the infection to spread. But it sounds like it really helped in your daughter's case. Glad she's doing better!  :)

Herbalist Charles Garcia recommends usnea, internally and externally, for cellulitis.
"I walk without flinching through the burning cathedral of the summer.  My bank of wild grass is majestic and full of music.  It is a fire that solitude presses against my lips."  ~Violette Leduc

Offline amy3js

• Master
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2009, 07:34:30 AM »
By the time we got to the dr 3 hrs later, the red line crawling up her foot had completely receded, I believe thanks to the eden salve.

I have never had any experience with cellulitis, but just wanted to mention that I was reading an herbalist's comments on cellulitis, and they say to never put a salve (especially one that contains beeswax in any amount) on skin infections that are suspected to be staph, strep, or something similar. Their reasoning is that it holds the bacteria in and keeps the area too moist, which in turn allows the infection to spread. But it sounds like it really helped in your daughter's case. Glad she's doing better!  :)

Herbalist Charles Garcia recommends usnea, internally and externally, for cellulitis.

Hmm, this is interesting and I can actually see the wisdom in it, especially in certain instances. Does anyone else have any experience with this "rule"?

Offline cactusway

• Learning
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2009, 05:37:44 AM »
ForeverGirl (or anyone), could you please tell me if the berries in your Bilberry (or Elderberry) Tonic are dried or fresh?

I have dried Elderberries.  Do I still use 1/2lb?

Oh, and how much do you take (1 tsp; a mouth full; 1/4th cup; etc.)?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 09:28:13 AM by cactusway »

Offline lotsagirls

• Adept
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2009, 11:22:17 AM »
ForeverGirl (or anyone), could you please tell me if the berries in your Bilberry (or Elderberry) Tonic are dried or fresh?

I have dried Elderberries.  Do I still use 1/2lb?

Oh, and how much do you take (1 tsp; a mouth full; 1/4th cup; etc.)?

In reading her instructions, it says to powder the berries, so I'm guessing that they are dried. 

When I make my tonic, I use 1/2 lb EACH bilberry and elderberry (dried).  And I take 1-2 Tbsps once or twice/day.
Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.  Psalm 127:3

Offline tkmuskrat

• Learning
    • www.xanga.com/tkmuskrat
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2009, 05:50:23 AM »
I just found out a couple of days ago my 9 yo daughter has cellulitis in her little toe. We thought it was a bug bite, but after 2 wks it didn't go away (but didn't really spread, just a lot of redness and swelling) We took her to a dr, and he has her on antibiotics and soapy foot soaks.

It has only been a couple of days, and it isn't looking much better (I know it may take a couple of more days with regular antibiotics), so I was thinking of either adding some TTO to the soaking water or put it on topically.

I don't have any garlic around (I haven't been to the store as we had a LOT of snow recently here in OK! lol), but I do have the odorless garlic caps (NOW brand).  Would it be safe to give her 1 or 2 a day?

I currently have her on a multi vitamin and cod liver oil (1 cap a day, but I am thinking of having her take 2 a day until she is over this)

I am pretty stumped as to how she got it, as she is normally one of our healthiest children (even if she is super skinny!  ::) ) my only guess is that her feet are cold quite often, and the circulation is not that great.

Kristie M.

wife to Al, SAHM of 5

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2009, 06:54:03 AM »
Kristie,

I would definately give her garlic internally.  Also, you might do epsom salts soaks 4 times a day for about 15 minutes at a time.  Epsom salts is great for pulling infection out.  You may find the even get pussy, etc. if you do.  I think adding TTO to the water would be fine (as long as there is no open sore, etc).  Actually, the antibiotics should work within 24hrs.  If you aren't beginning to see at least small improvements then they aren't working.  This wouldn't surprise me. 

My SIL has never had antibiotics her whole life.  She is 51.  She got some sort of toe infection two weeks ago that would not respond to amoxicillin even though she'd never had it.  The bacteria was resistant to the Amox.  So it's possible your dd is resistant to what they gave her.  Do you know what the abx is called? 

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline tkmuskrat

• Learning
    • www.xanga.com/tkmuskrat
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2009, 05:39:35 AM »
Yesterday I added some sea salt to the water along with some TTO to both of the soaks. and I am encouraging her to keep her socks and slippers on to keep her feet warm (to improve the circulation)

This morning her toe appears a little better, and the swelling has gone down a little.

I will try epsom salt later, and give her a garlic pill along with her vitamins.

The dr prescribed her Sulfmethoxazole/Trimethoprim combo antibiotic.

If her toe hadn't had started looking worse, then we would have kept treating it home, but it was causing her pain, and everything I read on cellulitis afterward, made me happy I took her in. Now we know what to do right off if we have to battle it again!

Kristie M.

wife to Al, SAHM of 5

Offline joyfulspirit

• Learning
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2011, 02:37:49 PM »
My husband has cellulitis from an infection in his finger.  The doctors have prescribed antibiotics for him.  We do not do antibiotics if we can help it, but in this case we have no other option.  He is taking the antibiotics, but I was wondering if anyone knew of anything else that he can take (colloidal silver, GSE, herbs, etc.)?  We are also doing probiotics.  I would love to know if anyone has any other ideas for us with how to treat this infection.  Thank you! 

Offline amy3js

• Master
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2011, 06:23:56 AM »
I would take garlic internally and do a garlic poultice a few times a day on the finger. Garlic made a big difference for my daughter. GSE and silver will help too. And I would do herbs that boost the immune system. Like echinacea and I think elderberry has an immune boosting effect?