Author Topic: Beet Kvass  (Read 46109 times)

Offline Pennie

• Master
Re: Beet Kvass
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2007, 10:52:16 AM »
Anyone seen this one?
www.fourfoldhealing.com/Recipes.htm

Beet Kvass
Makes 2 quarts

3 medium or 2 large organic beets, peeled and chopped coarsely
ΒΌ cup whey
1 Tbsp sea salt
filtered water

Okay, you people really are "bad" about getting me interested in stuff.  I think showing the one liners under each new post serves to grab my attention. So then I say, well I don't have a NT so I can't try it and then someone posts the recipe.   :D  And then Yoopermama talks about her skin clearing up and then I think my husband needs to try this.   ;D I could go on about why I want to try it but I won't.....So for the whey, would I use the whey from my kefir?  Would that be okay? And after two days it's ready to drink?  I was thinking it was going to be some difficult process but maybe I can handle it.   ???

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2007, 12:16:34 PM »
Is the kvass slimy like kefir that's been in the fridge for several days?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline diaperswyper

• Adept
  • A DOUBLE BLESSING!!
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2007, 12:32:48 PM »
   I haven't had slimyness happen for me.

YoopreMama

« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2007, 04:33:42 PM »
I have no slime, but I'm new to it so....my 2 cents isn't worth too much!  ;D

(But I do sing a song about my beet kvass... ;)  It's kind of in the vein of a Russian fight song, I'd say.   ;D)

"BEET KVASS!, OH BEET KVASS!  OH HOW I LOOOOOOOOVEEEEE MY BEET KVASS."   :D :D :D
P.S.
Re: the skin...I also must add that I changed my bed's flannel sheets to cotton (warming u.p. here! :D), and that helped me not to sweat so much at night. Sweating, I think, brings out toxins (think "sauna"), and maybe that's why I itched so much.  I've also added kefir to the regiment.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 11:45:17 PM by YooperMama »

YoopreMama

« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2007, 02:03:03 PM »
How far would you go to get beet kvass in your children?   ;) :o  Time for my confession (and secret  ;))...

I, um, asked Mike to please improvise dinner, as we've had a wild day w/ school and our homeschooling support group.  Part of his menu included Coke.   ::)

So.   8)

Usually we give them medicine cups of it...they like it, of course.  I thought, "Hmmm...if Nickole thinks kombucha + kvass = 'grape pop', well, what would Coke + kvass =?"  :o

Truly, I thought...it'd be like Rock-n-Rye pop...you know Faygo?  But then I thought...2 diametrically opposed beverages...would I make some terrible chemical reaction?  An explosion?   :o  My husband thought I was nuts, but that's par for the course here.   :D

Well...it ended up being more than a 50-50 ratio (in favor of the Coke), but they drank it up, never questioned it, and asked for more!   :o 

So now I wonder, wonder, wonder....do the benefits of the kvass outweigh the Coke?  We'll see.... :-[ ::) ;) ;D

YoopreMama

« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2007, 02:59:13 AM »
Bump-so the recipe can be retrieved... ;)  For the kvass, of course, not my potion!   ;D

Offline savedbygrace

• Adept
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2007, 03:23:34 AM »
How do you get whey without a source of raw milk?

YoopreMama

« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2007, 04:09:14 AM »
p. 87 in Nourishing traditions says that you can use piima milk, whole-milk buttermilk...or homemade yogurt or good quality commerical plain yogurt...

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2007, 04:29:16 AM »
p. 87 in Nourishing traditions says that you can use piima milk, whole-milk buttermilk...or homemade yogurt or good quality commerical plain yogurt...
What about kefir?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline LoveSunflowers

• Master
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2007, 04:45:17 AM »

Truly, I thought...it'd be like Rock-n-Rye pop...you know Faygo?  But then I thought...2 diametrically opposed beverages...would I make some terrible chemical reaction?  An explosion?   :o  My husband thought I was nuts, but that's par for the course here.   :D

I hate Rock-n-Rye... I never had it until I moved to MI! Everyone was like, you'll love it.... :-X

I'll stick to the kvass. ;)

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2007, 04:46:03 AM »
Plain yogurt is probably the easiest because there is often whey already separated when you open it. But you just put the yogurt in a cloth hung over a bowl and the whey will drip out into the bowl. I recommend Stonyfield yogurt.
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

YoopreMama

« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2007, 04:50:20 AM »
Can you get your kefir to drip whey out like yogurt does?  I wonder...it seems so thin... ???

Oh, come on--Rock-n-Rye is a childhood staple u.p. here!   :D  You'd take kvass over that?  WOW.

Still haven't made the cabbage brew...want to get organic cabbage.   ;)

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2007, 04:54:43 AM »
with my kefir the whey drips out first.  I didn't even know what whey WAS until I started reading on here and making kefir.  The only time I ever heard whey was when Little Miss Muffet was eating her curds and whey.  Never even thought about what it was.   ::) :D  so I could use that whey I guess?  Or is my kefir not doing right?  We like it. 

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2007, 05:13:34 AM »
Can you get your kefir to drip whey out like yogurt does?  I wonder...it seems so thin... ???

Oh, come on--Rock-n-Rye is a childhood staple u.p. here!   :D  You'd take kvass over that?  WOW.

My kefir separates in the jar while I'm "brewing" it and in the fridge if we don't drink it all at once.  I usually have to shake it up to use it or strain it.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2007, 05:17:48 AM »

My kefir separates in the jar while I'm "brewing" it and in the fridge if we don't drink it all at once.  I usually have to shake it up to use it or strain it.
Oh, you "brew" yours in the fridge?  Man, I wish I had the energy and coordination of your little super heroes down there.  ;D

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2007, 02:47:26 AM »
I don't have a 2-quart mason jar(do they even make those?).  Can I put them in a glass bowl and cover with a cloth?  Does the lid need to be tight like the fermented veggies?  I am assuming it would, but I just chopped up all my beets and put them in a quart jar and when it reached almost the top I realized it said 2 QUART jar.  So what are all you ladies using to make this?

YoopreMama

« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2007, 02:55:47 AM »
Hi, HinO!   :)

I used 2 1 qt jars and split the ingredients b/w the 2.  My instructions from Eat Fat say to cover securely. 

Can that work for you?   ??? :D

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2007, 02:58:10 AM »
Hi, HinO!   :)

I used 2 1 qt jars and split the ingredients b/w the 2.  My instructions from Eat Fat say to cover securely. 

Can that work for you?   ??? :D

Yeah, that would work!  Just wanted to make sure you could do it and make it work.  You know how her recipes are!  :D
Did you make each quart jar individually or did you make one batch and then split the two?  KWIM?

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2007, 03:01:15 AM »
can you use whey from kefir?  I wouldn't know where else to get any.

Offline savedbygrace

• Adept
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2007, 03:20:19 AM »
can you make kefir without raw milk? I thought you had to have fresh milk for that? ???

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2007, 03:40:05 AM »
can you make kefir without raw milk? I thought you had to have fresh milk for that? ???
Oh, I do make my kefir with raw milk. I guess I don't know enough about whey.   ???  I only see whey with my kefir though not with just my milk.   Maybe someone can learn me a little. :)

YoopreMama

« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2007, 03:49:32 AM »
Yeah, that would work!  Just wanted to make sure you could do it and make it work.  You know how her recipes are!  :D
Did you make each quart jar individually or did you make one batch and then split the two?  KWIM?
I made a full batch at one time...chopped the beets; half in each jar...split the whey in half (1/8 cup, think, per jar), halved the salt and then filled w/ water.  I do know how her recipes are !  LOL  :D

YoopreMama

« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2007, 03:54:03 AM »

Yes, I think the whey from kefir would work.  It's cultured, and if you drain it well...I used the kefir whey for my cabbage juice and it worked fine.  :)

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2007, 04:04:01 AM »

Yes, I think the whey from kefir would work.  It's cultured, and if you drain it well...I used the kefir whey for my cabbage juice and it worked fine.  :)
Thank you!!  ;D

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2007, 05:37:38 AM »

Oh, you "brew" yours in the fridge?  Man, I wish I had the energy and coordination of your little super heroes down there.  ;D
no, i don't brew it in the fridge.  i said it will separate in the fridge after I harvest it, if we don't drink it right away.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline LoveSunflowers

• Master
« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2007, 05:42:05 AM »
They do make 2 quart mason jars, that is what we use! You can use any type of whey. I do know that it will give different flavors to what you are doing. It doesn't really matter with beet kvass. My SIL thinks the whey from making cream cheese makes soaked oatmeal taste yucky but I've used whey from homemade cottage cheese and loved my soaked oatmeal. Just throwing that out there! :)

YoopreMama

« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2007, 05:51:33 AM »
but I've used whey from homemade cottage cheese and loved my soaked oatmeal. Just throwing that out there!

YOU have a hardy stomach!  LOL  :D

Thanks for the lead on container sizes..I'll keep my eye out at rummage sales and thrift stores this summer.   ;)

Offline LoveSunflowers

• Master
« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2007, 06:04:50 AM »
My hubby would tell you I don't have a strong tummy! I gag watching gross stuff on TV!  :-X But, soaked oatmeal is good!

Offline daisey

• Master
  • Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2007, 06:09:34 AM »
I don't have a 2-quart mason jar(do they even make those?).  Can I put them in a glass bowl and cover with a cloth?  Does the lid need to be tight like the fermented veggies?  I am assuming it would, but I just chopped up all my beets and put them in a quart jar and when it reached almost the top I realized it said 2 QUART jar.  So what are all you ladies using to make this?
Hi healthyinOhio
Yes, I think they still make 1/2 gallon jars.   I bought my several years ago but I did a Google search and came up with this site.   
www.kitchenkrafts.com    There were others but I just picked one so didn't do a price comparison.   I'm wondering if you asked your local hardware store to order you a case if they would.    Don't know if you are in a big city or small but whenever I ask our small town merchants to order stuff they are more than happy to unless there is some kind of minimum.  Hope that helps.
Guess I have to wait to make Kavass until my beets grown.     :(  That will be quite awhile yet.  Sometimes there are definite disadvantages to living in the boonies.   :-\
Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side

Offline mommyjen

• Adept
« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2007, 06:13:48 AM »
I found 2 quart jars at Micheals Craft Store.  They were kinda expensive but they have regular coupons to help lower the price.
Billy's wife and mom to John, Charles, Gilbert, and Lewis.